How Important was Spargo

Farmer

My main question regarding Spargo is what is he? Is he a small forward? Is he a small HFF? Is he an outside midfielder? 

I just don't see where he fits into the list.

10 minutes ago, dee-eee said:

As Richie would say "Do my eyes deceive me ?"  but making the distance from close range set-shots can be an issue for him .

That is a rather serious deficiency at a club that struggles to score.

I really like Spargo because he's not your usual 6 foot midfielder/flanker and he gives hope to so many aspiring young players.(Always thought there should be an under 6ft basketball comp.)

in his first year he was a playmaker with the ability to receive and dispose quickly to advantage. He also benefitted from the 2018scoring spree when we took the bulk of our shots from around 20metres.

The game is now even more crowded than it was in 2018 limiting his ability to receive the ball in the clear and his disposal has become suspect. Similarly the close in shots seem to have dried up thus exposing his long kicking deficiency.

Does he have a role. Unfortunately probably not.Caleb Daniel who is more skilful than Charlie struggled in 2019 and is only showing occasional glimpses of his 2016 form these days. ( Decent game against the Swans last night.) It seems that it's a six footer's game these days.

18 hours ago, daisycutter said:

he's obviously got some talent, but anyone on an afl list who has played a few games has too

his problem is consistency, or more accurately inconsistency

i'd say his future is on the cusp and how he goes this year (difficult with no magoos) will determine his future

reduced list sizes for next year will make it tough for him. my 2c says he's probably gorn

Do you mean he is consistantly inconsitant ?

51 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Knew we should have drafted Irving Mosquito.

Absolutely, then we woulda had 

Mozzie, Kosi and Harley. Has a nice ring to it and with a real Kick!

7 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Absolutely, then we woulda had 

Mozzie, Kosi and Harley. Has a nice ring to it and with a real Kick!

Sounds like motor bike brands!

7 minutes ago, demonstone said:

You missed the joke, PF.  Mosquito = insect = six legs = six footer.  One for the cryptic crosswords fans, I guess.

Of course, there is no logic in it.  If there was, Tomas Bugg would have been still on our list.

Have to admit you had me stuffed. I struggle with standard crosswords.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 11:03 PM, Farmer said:

Just watched  On Utube our match v GWS the last round before the finals in 2018. Although I was at that match, I hadn’t realised just how clever was Spargo, both by hand and foot setting up a number of goals . Lost his way last year, but having watched this I believe we should persevere with hiM

The little fella was at it again on the weekend.   He has the midas touch.

For all the angst he cops on here he is absolutely vital to our team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Makes good position, and doesn’t get sucked in to the contest when not needed. In the first quarter, watch him putting himself in the position to give Jones an option which then translated to a foot pass and goal to Kozzie. Have seen him doing this regularly, and he also works hard up and down the ground. Hoping he can build on this to consistently have more impact on games.

• Like 6

Would love to put his footy brain in ANB's body. Would have a great player!

Jokes aside Charlie did well on the weekend. He's not quick or a superstar but an important cog when we're firing.

Similar to how some people were knocking Jordon in another thread before the game. You need players like this in the team

• Like 2

Rarely misses a target i50 .... a scarce commodity at Melbourne.  The more he gets the ball, the more valuable he will become.  An important player (gut feeling says 'on the rise!').

• Like 1

I know recruiting is an inexact science but people around here are very quick to write off young players.

He was very good on the weekend and will be a vital member of the team this year and beyond.

• Like 3

Smart, quick thinking and tough, can't have to many of those type players. keep up the good work Charlie.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

I know recruiting is an inexact science but people around here are very quick to write off young players.

Too right. He turned 21 at the end of last year. I suspect he'll be one of those players that never draws many accolades, but quietly plays a role each week and before you know it he's carved out a 10 year career. Can't think of anyone in the team I'd rather have delivering the ball inside 50 tbh. 

1 hour ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

I'm his biggest critic, great to see him have a great game but hopefully he can carry this on against some decent sides 

• Like 2

I can't work out how to get the stats to confirm (I've checked numbers against a small group of players, but not across the whole competition) but I he has one of the highest "score involvement per disposal" ratios in the league.

Sounds like a niche stat but it supports the idea that he is creative and uses it well, and that when he is involved we have a higher chance of improving our field position.

He does need to lift his average disposals a little. If he was pushing 20 instead of 10 he'd be particular valuable.