Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Demonland

Coronavirus & Other Sports

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, daisycutter said:

19 i heard today

China had 19 cases once upon a time. Whilst there are concerns for mortality rates in the elderly/sick, my understanding is their biggest fear is the health system collapsing... and toilet paper running out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

The NBA season seems to be doing fine with all games open to fans.  They have a hundred games a week too.

Gil mclachlan needs to ignore the hysteria and get on with things as normal.

I don't think it will be Gil's or the AFL's decision. I expect the decision to play in empty stadiums will be a Government instruction. 

And it's not hysteria, either. The reason for closing stadiums will be to slow, rather than stop, the spread of Covid-19. The reason for that is to reduce the stress on the health and, dare I say, mortuary services, so they are not overwhelmed. For example, we do not have enough ICU space should the virus infect the numbers projected if measures such as social separation are not introduced if required.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't think it will be Gil's or the AFL's decision. I expect the decision to play in empty stadiums will be a Government instruction. 

And it's not hysteria, either. The reason for closing stadiums will be to slow, rather than stop, the spread of Covid-19. The reason for that is to reduce the stress on the health and, dare I say, mortuary services, so they are not overwhelmed. For example, we do not have enough ICU space should the virus infect the numbers projected if measures such as social separation are not introduced if required.

Why wait? Why can’t they just do it now, have empty stadiums and get on top of it now instead of waiting for it to get to a certain point before they do, better to be safe than sorry

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, brendan said:

Why wait? Why can’t they just do it now, have empty stadiums and get on top of it now instead of waiting for it to get to a certain point before they do, better to be safe than sorry

Yes,  full scale prevention methods should be enacted immediately.  Why wait?

Who cares about sport being cancelled for a few months anyway.  We'll find other ways to keep ourselves amused. 

And I'm a sports nut and would never class myself as an alarmist.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Macca said:

Yes,  full scale prevention methods should be enacted immediately.  Why wait?

Who cares about sport being cancelled for a few months anyway.  We'll find other ways to keep ourselves amused. 

And I'm a sports nut and would never class myself as an alarmist.

Agree. People saying “oh it’s only x number in a population of n size!”, don’t seem to realise that as there are more infections, the numbers grow exponentially. The only way to keep numbers down, is to take all precautions possible.

I mentioned before that I was in Taiwan, a country with an almost identical population to ours, but the world’s 4th most densely populated by area; yet they have just 48 cases to our 127. Why might that be? Could it be the fact that most people, but in particular those customer facing people in stores, cafes, restaurants etc, all wear (much to SWYL’s chagrin) masks? Could it be that on entering an establishment you are given a spray of hand sanitiser and have your temperature (in many, not all, places) taken? And there is no panic buying of sanitiser, toilet paper, tissues etc etc... in fact they openly laugh about what is happening here and in other “civilised” western countries with regards to that.

It’s all about risk reduction and containment; and by removing large gatherings from the equation, a large part of the risk is removed. This is one thing that the AFL could get right if they put peoples’ welfare ahead of the game and profits.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hardtack said:

Agree. People saying “oh it’s only x number in a population of n size!”, don’t seem to realise that as there are more infections, the numbers grow exponentially. The only way to keep numbers down, is to take all precautions possible.

I mentioned before that I was in Taiwan, a country with an almost identical population to ours, but the world’s 4th most dense population by area; yet they have just 48 cases to our 127. Why might that be? Could it be the fact that Most people, but in particular those customer facing people in stores, cafes, restaurants etc, all wear (much to SWYL’s chagrin) masks? Could it be that on entering an establishment you are given a spray of hand sanitiser and have your temperature taken (in many, not all, places)?

It’s all about risk reduction and containment; and by removing large gatherings from the equation, a large part of the risk is removed. This is one thing that the AFL could get right if they put peoples’ welfare ahead of the game and profits.

The Victorian Government obviously didn't get this memo re: the Grand Prix.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Demonland said:

The Victorian Government obviously didn't get this memo re: the Grand Prix.

Agree DL... so let’s hope the AFL aren’t so blasé and take the lead for a change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Agree. People saying “oh it’s only x number in a population of n size!”, don’t seem to realise that as there are more infections, the numbers grow exponentially. The only way to keep numbers down, is to take all precautions possible.

I mentioned before that I was in Taiwan, a country with an almost identical population to ours, but the world’s 4th most dense population by area; yet they have just 48 cases to our 127. Why might that be? Could it be the fact that Most people, but in particular those customer facing people in stores, cafes, restaurants etc, all wear (much to SWYL’s chagrin) masks? Could it be that on entering an establishment you are given a spray of hand sanitiser and have your temperature taken (in many, not all, places)?

It’s all about risk reduction and containment; and by removing large gatherings from the equation, a large part of the risk is removed. This is one thing that the AFL could get right if they put peoples’ welfare ahead of the game and profits.

Sport and other non essential activities can be shut down (as it is in Italy) but what do you do about trains,  buses,  workplaces etc etc.

By the way ht,  Italy and the other countries in Europe are not 3rd world so we should be taking measures that those countries are taking - but way sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Demonland said:

The Victorian Government obviously didn't get this memo re: the Grand Prix.

I suspect this is the only reason mass gatherings haven't been banned yet. They're waiting for this to be over and then next week will announce it if they do. The timeline for banning of mass gatherings being reported by the media is getting shorter and shorter by the day. 2 days ago the media were reporting that there could be no fans in stadiums from round 5, now it's a possibility of round 2, it'll be round 1 by next week.

Also, they'll have to ban the gatherings nation wide as whose to say a Victorian person with the virus travels next week to watch WC vs Melbourne. They'll risk spreading it further if they don't. Just because Perth has a smaller number of cases doesn't mean someone with it won't travel there; safer to ban everyone than try and decide who has it and who doesn't.

Edited by AshleyH30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

The Victorian Government obviously didn't get this memo re: the Grand Prix.

Staggering that we simultaneously have the Premier declaring it is inevitable that all schools and numerous employment sectors will be shut down, and the state is about to host 300+ thousand motorsport fans from all corners of the globe sandwiched together by a racetrack and in toilet/food/beverage queues for four straight days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Macca said:

Sport and other non essential activities can be shut down (as it is in Italy) but what do you do about trains,  buses,  workplaces etc etc.

By the way ht,  Italy and the other countries in Europe are not 3rd world so we should be taking measures that those countries are taking - but way sooner.

When traveling on public transport, wear a mask. As the virus is contagious before the symptoms appear, it is prudent to wear a mask as they do stop the spreading more so than stop you from catching it.

I’m not saying they’re 3rd world. I’m saying that because Taiwan instigated common sense early in the piece in dealing with this, they have a low infection rate compared to these other countries. Masks have always been a thing in Asian countries to stop flu/cold symptoms spreading, but not so much in the West. Apparently quite a few countries are now adopting Taiwan’s measures.

I have no idea why Italy is so bad, but if you compare stats, they are going at a much worse rate than China ever did... it’s scary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gs77 said:

Staggering that we simultaneously have the Premier declaring it is inevitable that all schools and numerous employment sectors will be shut down, and the state is about to host 300+ thousand motorsport fans from all corners of the globe sandwiched together by a racetrack and in toilet/food/beverage queues for four straight days. 

If ever there was an example of money (greed?) taking precedence over public health and safety (even if it's just a potential risk) this is it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They just had Brett Sutton (the bloke that makes the call on cancelling Vic mass gatherings) on Whately’s SEN show.

He hinted that AFL games could be played in empty stadiums in about a month- for months not weeks!!

So enjoy the GWS game as that could be the last time we get to see the boys live - if we even get that far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

They just had Brett Sutton (the bloke that makes the call on cancelling Vic mass gatherings) on Whately’s SEN show.

He hinted that AFL games could be played in empty stadiums in about a month- for months not weeks!!

So enjoy the GWS game as that could be the last time we get to see the boys live - if we even get that far.

AFL faces empty stadiums for “months” if coronavirus situation worsens | http://sen.lu/3cQpgDo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange and confusing times, would be people hesitate to go to the footy in the first 3 rounds if the lockout was announced from R4 onwards? 

Not sure if anyone on here is in panic mode yet but maybe some have altered their thinking on their approach to everyday living. 

Saw my next door neighbour for the first time in two weeks the other morning and asked him if he went away. He told me he just got back from a Japan holiday (listed as moderate risk) because flights were so cheap he couldn’t resist. Should I now pretend I am deaf when he calls out for a bit of help or ask him daily if he’s had flu like symptoms? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Saw my next door neighbour for the first time in two weeks the other morning and asked him if he went away. He told me he just got back from a Japan holiday (listed as moderate risk) because flights were so cheap he couldn’t resist. Should I now pretend I am deaf when he calls out for a bit of help or ask him daily if he’s had flu like symptoms? 

Yes.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Club is being guided by the State and Federal government, as well as the AFL and other relevant health authorities, on how best to protect its people. 

Based on advice from these bodies, the Club has made the decision to segregate its football programs and has implemented the following changes;

  • The men’s AFL program has been relocated to Casey Fields
  • The women’s AFLW program will have exclusive use of Melbourne’s AAMI Park facilities
  • Melbourne’s VFL affiliate team will use a separate area at Casey Fields
  • Melbourne’s administration will remain at the MCG or work from home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hardtack said:

When traveling on public transport, wear a mask. As the virus is contagious before the symptoms appear, it is prudent to wear a mask as they do stop the spreading more so than stop you from catching it.

I’m not saying they’re 3rd world. I’m saying that because Taiwan instigated common sense early in the piece in dealing with this, they have a low infection rate compared to these other countries. Masks have always been a thing in Asian countries to stop flu/cold symptoms spreading, but not so much in the West. Apparently quite a few countries are now adopting Taiwan’s measures.

I have no idea why Italy is so bad, but if you compare stats, they are going at a much worse rate than China ever did... it’s scary.

My comment about 3rd world was never directed at you even though I was talking to you!  Social media can often obscure context

I am 100% with you re masks ... and the Italians are heavy smokers

Bad lungs & coronavirus (bad news)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, hardtack said:

Considering the US went from a handful of cases and Trump bragging about how he has it under control, to 1,000+ cases in under a week, I’d say they’re probably making the right call.

 

Trump has done everything in his power to stay ahead of things including the first mandatory quarantine in the US in half a century.

But orange man bad, am I right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NBA Just suspended the season. 

Wonder what the AFL will do.

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

India effectively closed its borders today. If CV takes off in a land of 1.3 billion with less than adequate health care it will be a disaster.

Have not read much in the news about how African countries are coping. There are indeed worse things than running out of toilet paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

 

Trump has done everything in his power to stay ahead of things including the first mandatory quarantine in the US in half a century.

But orange man bad, am I right?

So telling people to "go to work" if they have Corona virus is excellent advice right? 

And appointing a politician instead of a medical scientist to lead the response team is the best way to go? 

And not committing to making the cure affordable for all American's until forced to by public sentiment is good stuff in your eyes? 

Should I keep going? 

Orange man is bad. You're absolutely right. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roy11 said:

NBA Just suspended the season. 

Wonder what the AFL will do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...