Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Lord Nev

Goodwin: 'We were the worst side in the history of the game'

Recommended Posts

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin says the Demons were the worst side in the history of the game in a speech to the club’s new recruits.

Goodwin this summer took the Demons’ latest batch of draftees and trade acquisitions to his Rye holiday house, where he looked to give them some historical perspective to set their focus.

Goodwin’s emotive speech is featured in the latest episode of Melbourne’s documentary series “To Hell and Back”, which airs on the Demons website on Sunday night.

“Before the period of 2013 we were probably the worst performing club in the history of the game,” Goodwin says.

“So (in) three years we won seven games (they won 10 between 2012-14). That’s probably when we were at rock bottom.”

Simon Goodwin tells new recruits the Demons were once the worst side in the history of the game

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really the headline you want but will wait for the doco episode for proper context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't get a priority pick though.

  • Like 8
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to disagree when you consider our performances during the dark times.

Every team would have pencilled us in for four points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin says the Demons were the worst side in the history of the game in a speech to the club’s new recruits.

Goodwin this summer took the Demons’ latest batch of draftees and trade acquisitions to his Rye holiday house, where he looked to give them some historical perspective to set their focus.

Goodwin’s emotive speech is featured in the latest episode of Melbourne’s documentary series “To Hell and Back”, which airs on the Demons website on Sunday night.

“Before the period of 2013 we were probably the worst performing club in the history of the game,” Goodwin says.

“So (in) three years we won seven games (they won 10 between 2012-14). That’s probably when we were at rock bottom.”

Simon Goodwin tells new recruits the Demons were once the worst side in the history of the game

 

Simon clearly doesn't know his history. University and St Kilda have had much worse periods.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the sides we trotted out under Bailey and Neeld were so bad I used to wonder if they’d even beat a VFL team 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Simon clearly doesn't know his history. University and St Kilda have had much worse periods.

Not really a valid comparison when those sides were mostly amateur and suburban in nature. When we were good we were mostly amateur and suburban. We were woefully bad when we were a club in the premier elite  professional competition with highly paid players, coaches and administrators.  If the quote is correct by Goodwin then it’s a relief to hear an offical acknowledgement of the obvious. Ostrichism has been a plague on this club for decades.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Not really a valid comparison when those sides were mostly amateur and suburban in nature. When we were good we were mostly amateur and suburban. We were woefully bad when we were a club in the premier elite  professional competition with highly paid players, coaches and administrators.  If the quote is correct by Goodwin then it’s a relief to hear an offical acknowledgement of the obvious. Ostrichism has been a plague on this club for decades.

Not my comparison. It was Goodwin's

I just pointed out he was wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Simon clearly doesn't know his history. University and St Kilda have had much worse periods.

Fitzroy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did he mention 2019?

That was pretty bad too, doubt it was mentioned though, as Simon was the Senior Coach that year :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sisso said:

Some of the sides we trotted out under Bailey and Neeld were so bad I used to wonder if they’d even beat a VFL team 

Matt Jones and Dean Terlich finished top 5 in our B&F - we were a vfl team!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk about trashing the brand.  Might be arguable but now it will be quoted back to us for years.  There's six mediocre teams and we're one of them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this thread was about last season. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

There's six mediocre teams and we're one of them

No point sugar-coating it, aside from the expansion teams and Essendon's VFL side, Melbourne under Neeld from 2012-2014 were the most comically inept team the AFL has seen in the last 20 years. And it's not even close. Christ we were bad.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

No point sugar-coating it, aside from the expansion teams and Essendon's VFL side, Melbourne under Neeld from 2012-2014 were the most comically inept team the AFL has seen in the last 20 years. And it's not even close. Christ we were bad.

Yes... I understand that but saying it in away designed to be publicised is just dumb (imo).

It is also disrespectful to the players of that era. (Even if it's true)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Yes... I understand that but saying it in away designed to be publicised is just dumb (imo).

It is also disrespectful to the players of that era. (Even if it's true)

Yep, Walk away.

 Goodwin wasn’t even there, none of his business to talk like that publicly, particuliarly after last year

Anyway he has done it....

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yep, Walk away.

 Goodwin wasn’t even there, none of his business to talk like that publicly, particuliarly after last year

Anyway he has done it....

Did he know that this would be in the Series?

You can't necessarily pick and choose if you want to show it warts and all.

Do you really think Nathan Jones and Tom Mac will organise a rebel meeting in protest?

Thry are so relieved that the Club has moved on and are mature enough NOW to cope with this ground breaking Series which as most people now admit is one of the best decisions and productions in our recent history.

Thats despite some petty talk about the title which was really "a little storm in a teacup" by some nit picking comments!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 58er said:

Did he know that this would be in the Series?

You can't necessarily pick and choose if you want to show it warts and all.

Do you really think Nathan Jones and Tom Mac will organise a rebel meeting in protest?

Thry are so relieved that the Club has moved on and are mature enough NOW to cope with this ground breaking Series which as most people now admit is one of the best decisions and productions in our recent history.

Thats despite some petty talk about the title which was really "a little storm in a teacup" by some nit picking comments!

I still don’t like the Title

But the content has been good

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were not too good in the late 70s either. I remember the battles for the spoon down at Moorabin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yep, Walk away.

 Goodwin wasn’t even there, none of his business to talk like that publicly, particuliarly after last year

Anyway he has done it....

I agree totally SWYL

Shouldn't be throwing others under the bus when under his reign we were clearly one of the worst teams in the comp last season.

I hope for his sake that we have a much improved year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article is a bit click baity for mine.
The entire bit on worst performed side went maybe for 10 seconds in a 17 minute video.

If he read out the entire Fisted Forever files (being facetious on this point) or individualized blame on people for that period, I'd agree that this wasn't the way to go. 

The truth is the overall message to the kids there is that you can play if you get your habits right. There is no rule to say that 18 year olds can't get a game even if they are up to it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

This article is a bit click baity for mine.
The entire bit on worst performed side went maybe for 10 seconds in a 17 minute video.

If he read out the entire Fisted Forever files (being facetious on this point) or individualized blame on people for that period, I'd agree that this wasn't the way to go. 

The truth is the overall message to the kids there is that you can play if you get your habits right. There is no rule to say that 18 year olds can't get a game even if they are up to it.

Humphrey B Flaubert........also know as DC Root  🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Humphrey B Flaubert........also know as DC Root  🤩

I've been on this board for nearly 10 years, and it's taken you this long to bring this up Daisy? You are slipping old sport!

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
I've been on here for longer than that!
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I've been on this board for nearly 10 years, and it's taken you this long to bring this up Daisy? You are slipping old sport!

funny that. i posted it to your other post on the max gawn is captain thread. don't know how it ended up in this thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...