Jump to content

Training Ground?


Romey

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

If you look at the latest "Hell and back" video, the training session is held at the Murphy/Anderson oval complex.  In the background you can see all the spare space around it. 

There do seem to be some vacant spaces in Port Melbourne. There's are some green spaces already  Ne some quaintly identified ares of car clubs etc. 

Maybe like Hawthorn we need to buy some redundant land and develop it ourselves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, dpositive said:

There do seem to be some vacant spaces in Port Melbourne. There's are some green spaces already  Ne some quaintly identified ares of car clubs etc. 

Maybe like Hawthorn we need to buy some redundant land and develop it ourselves.

I think you'll find most of the Port Melbourne/Fisherman's Bend area has been sold off to the big developers and is slowly working it's way through planning and eventually in to construction. It's unlikely there's any spare land up for sale at a reasonable price.

Given the number of new residents to eventually move in there the council would be negligent to give up access to any green spaces even with a shared agreement. 

 I thought a few years ago we could've joined with Melbourne Grammar and expanded their site in to something excellent that worked for both parties but I think that window has probably sailed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think you'll find most of the Port Melbourne/Fisherman's Bend area has been sold off to the big developers and is slowly working it's way through planning and eventually in to construction. It's unlikely there's any spare land up for sale at a reasonable price.

Given the number of new residents to eventually move in there the council would be negligent to give up access to any green spaces even with a shared agreement. 

 I thought a few years ago we could've joined with Melbourne Grammar and expanded their site in to something excellent that worked for both parties but I think that window has probably sailed.

Don't we have some friends in the big developer cohort who can be  convinced of the need to include a comprehensive entertainment centre including MFC social club and associated training grounds and gym facilities. Local population can share facilities similar to Doggies community centre.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The club are very close on a deal, watch this space.

It was only included in the "plan" because of our close this deal is to being announced.

It will be a great community facility/hub similar to those of other clubs as its the only way we are getting it over the line.

  • Like 6
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still think it will be car park F next to AAMI. Build a 3 story admin, gym and indoor facility with car park underneath. At the same time do something with Goshes to bring it up to AFL standard, e.g. re-turf, some under cover space around ground so we don't need the pop up tent or trailers, maybe some lights.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Still think it will be car park F next to AAMI. Build a 3 story admin, gym and indoor facility with car park underneath. At the same time do something with Goshes to bring it up to AFL standard, e.g. re-turf, some under cover space around ground so we don't need the pop up tent or trailers, maybe some lights.

This is about as good as it will get. We've exhausted all options. This is the only way it will get over the line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, demonstone said:

Why are people still banging on about possibilities in Port Melbourne when the club has clearly stated its intentions to establish the base close to the MCG?

Thanks for that demonstone I have been saying that for a while. The club is locked onto being close to the G. Nothing else is going to fly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, demonstone said:

Why are people still banging on about possibilities in Port Melbourne when the club has clearly stated its intentions to establish the base close to the MCG?

Sorry, that could be me.

Theres not really a lot of free space around the MCG. and. Port Melbourne is closer to the MCG than Beechworth, ( or Northcote  where I lived for 20 years.

I am happy with MCG and Goschs for my now infrequent visits but I still think a stand alone large base with all the facilities that can entertain and attract a larger number of supporters would be valuable for the club. Good luck if the club can contour up a spot closer to the MCG.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, dpositive said:

Sorry, that could be me.

Theres not really a lot of free space around the MCG. and. Port Melbourne is closer to the MCG than Beechworth, ( or Northcote  where I lived for 20 years.

I am happy with MCG and Goschs for my now infrequent visits but I still think a stand alone large base with all the facilities that can entertain and attract a larger number of supporters would be valuable for the club. Good luck if the club can contour up a spot closer to the MCG.

 

They are welded to the area around the G dpositive. 

Nothing else is being looked at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, old dee said:

They are welded to the area around the G dpositive. 

Nothing else is being looked at.

Fantastic that they are so focused on the G,  

but not appearing to have a plan b,c,d,e, is something I have been critical of our coach for,

so I hope they have a number of alternatives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The govt built aami facilities for the mfc and a number of other sporting clubs also ( ie victory, storm, rebels ) which is now cramped for space. It's in the governments interests to get mfc out of there for the sake of all sporting clubs and therefore voters. Mfc should hold their ground (literally) and make sure they get something decent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dpositive said:

Sorry, that could be me.

Theres not really a lot of free space around the MCG. and. Port Melbourne is closer to the MCG than Beechworth, ( or Northcote  where I lived for 20 years.

I am happy with MCG and Goschs for my now infrequent visits but I still think a stand alone large base with all the facilities that can entertain and attract a larger number of supporters would be valuable for the club. Good luck if the club can contour up a spot closer to the MCG.

 

A stand alone Base can be built exactly where we are now. 
The MFC has to start winning consistently so that we can earn respect within Government and Sponsors to build such a Facility. 
when you win people take notice and want to get involved. 
for the last 50 odd years we have been thrown scraps to just survive 

The players and football dept will decide whether we get new facilities 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

A stand alone Base can be built exactly where we are now. 
The MFC has to start winning consistently so that we can earn respect within Government and Sponsors to build such a Facility. 
when you win people take notice and want to get involved. 
for the last 50 odd years we have been thrown scraps to just survive 

The players and football dept will decide whether we get new facilities

https://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/71467/suns-unveil-elite-training-administration-base

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Paid for by the AFL no doubt, as a tax incentive or with Broadcasting money. They are not real. 
We as a Club have to win respect to get deals like that. Which I believe is the way it should be

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Paid for by the AFL no doubt, as a tax incentive or with Broadcasting money. They are not real. 
We as a Club have to win respect to get deals like that. Which I believe is the way it should be

So is winning the deciding factor or not then?

Bombers haven't won a final for nearly 6,000 days yet they have an enviable base, even Arden St is pretty good now.

Think you're oversimplifying things mate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

So is winning the deciding factor or not then?

Bombers haven't won a final for nearly 6,000 days yet they have an enviable base, even Arden St is pretty good now.

Think you're oversimplifying things mate.

No you are not looking at the Big Picture

The MFC has been irrelevent for decades

Essendrug have won Flags and competed at the high end of the comp way more than we have. 
i am talking about our situation, i couldn’t give a rats about the 17 other clubs, they sure as shiit couldn’t care if we rolled over

The only way OUR Club will grow is by winning. Pert knows it to. 
he can’t be an effective CEO if the football we play is lousy. 

i think this whole change of attitude over this Summer, is based on the fact that the whole club knows, it simply has to win on all levels, otherwise jobs are lost  
 

Edited by Sir Why You Little
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No you are not looking at the Big Picture

The MFC has been irrelevent for decades

Essendrug have won Flags and competed at the high end of the comp way more than we have. 
i am talking about our situation, i couldn’t give a rats about the 17 other clubs, they sure as shiit couldn’t care if we rolled over

The only way OUR Club will grow is by winning. Pert knows it to. 
he can’t be an effective CEO if the football we play is lousy. 

i think this whole change of attitude over this Summer, is based on the fact that the whole club knows, it simply has to win on all levels, otherwise jobs are lost 

What was the topic again mate?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Being relevent so we can raise funds for a Training Facility

You are the one who bought in all the other factors..

 

I didn't bring in any other factors. I pointed out that all of Gold Coast, Essendon and North (to name a few) have great faciilities despite not winning much in the last 10 years.

This was to illustrate that it's not as simplistic as just 'winning games' and there's much more to it.

Seemingly, you have one post that you copy and paste no matter what the subject is though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

I didn't bring in any other factors. I pointed out that all of Gold Coast, Essendon and North (to name a few) have great faciilities despite not winning much in the last 10 years.

This was to illustrate that it's not as simplistic as just 'winning games' and there's much more to it.

Seemingly, you have one post that you copy and paste no matter what the subject is though.

Not at all. We have different circumstances to all the clubs you mentioned. Very different. 
we have exhausted all our options for charity. 
we need to show that we are worth investing $$ millions into, before we can get a deal

If you think Winning is not priority one Right Now with this club, You are well wrong

Pert is waiting for the Football Team to get going before deals can be done

I will put money on that

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't buy the idea that we must be within spitting distance of the MCG; even if that is the Club's stance, it certainly doesn't necessarily make it right.

Hawthorn, moved from their spiritual home at Glenferrie to Waverley where they've enjoyed great growth and success.  Next move is to to Dingley, again, nothing to do with Hawthorn and its history, but is ultimately the right thing to do.

Essendon couldn't get the Windy Hill Lawn Bowls club to bend over for them, so they left their spiritual home and headed to a new base in Tullamarine.

Collingwood left Vic Park, which was not a popular decision at the time and Fremantle move from Sth Freo oval to Cockburn.

Brisbane have moved from Brisbane to Springfield, even GWS is out in Blacktown, miles away from their home ground.

 

Some people are seeing this issue as stubbornly as the MFC saw professionalism in the 70s.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Still think it will be car park F next to AAMI. Build a 3 story admin, gym and indoor facility with car park underneath. At the same time do something with Goshes to bring it up to AFL standard, e.g. re-turf, some under cover space around ground so we don't need the pop up tent or trailers, maybe some lights.

My informed info is that Gosch's Paddock surface is not fit for purpose particularly mid-winter because it's open to public foot traffic.  The training surface there directly caused in-season  injuries last year.  We will need to prevent foot traffic for this to be a meaningful solution. 

  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    FEARS by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s worst fears about the absence of Max Gawn were realised when it received a shellacking from Fremantle’s ruckmen Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson who dominated the hit out tally in their game at Optus Stadium on Sunday by a massive 47 to 19. As a result, the 50-point deficit at the end of the game proved to be a loss that was long foreseen that was two years in the making and demonstrated a complete lack of hindsight and planning from the club. To add insult to injury, Jackson was a D

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 3

    PREGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

    The Demons return to the MCG in Round 20 to take on the GWS Giants and will be hoping the injured Captain Max Gawn is fit to return to his role in the ruck as their season is slipping away. Who comes in and who comes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 65

    PODCAST: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 22nd July @ 7:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demonsl oss at Optus Stadium against the Dockers in the Round 19. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 28

    VOTES: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The injured Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Jack Viney, Alex Neal-Bullen & Steven May make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Dockers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 19

    POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demons were once again outclassed, outplayed and outcoached by the Fremantle Dockers in 2024 ultimately going down by 50 points at Optus Stadium in Perth as they plummet to tenth on the ladder.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 288

    RAIN CHECK by Whispering Jack

    The Frankston Dolphins broke a run of six straight losses against their neighbours, the Casey Demons and kept their hopes for a long-awaited return to the VFL finals alive with a 27 point victory over at Kinetic Stadium. Casey was welcomed to the Peninsula by grey skies, heavy rain and angry seas with threatening white-capped waves whipped up by gale force winds. After a slow start in the opening term when they failed to take advantage of the breeze, it appeared that the Demons had decided

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    It's Game Day and the Demons have a golden opportunity to stamp their 2024 finals credentials as well as make amends for their disastrous first meeting against the Dockers earlier in the season when they take on Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 910

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND - Good evening, Demon fans and welcome back to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast ... before we took that last phone call from a Demonlander, we were discussing how the club overcame it’s midseason slump, the season-ending injury to Christian Petracca and the loss for a brief period of skipper Max Gawn due to a  crack to the base of his right fibula, to slowly surge up the ladder turning our detractors into believers and how it ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 6

    EARLY BIRDS by KC from Casey

    Wet, slippery conditions and threatening rainfalls greeted the VFL Bombers at the end of their long journey southeast of the big city on Sunday. The threatening weather combined with the fact that neither side had realistic prospects of advancing to action in September, meant that spectators gathered at a cold Casey Fields weren’t expecting a classic exhibition of football. Nor did they get one. Instead they were presented with a dour struggle that never reached great heights. It was a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...