Players that need the most development

Wrecker45

Such an open question. 
In terms of fitness?

Skill work?

Game plan/rules understanding?

I realise it’s a combination of all of these and other things so we are really narrowing it down to the newbies and the rookies...

For me it’s probably Bedford. His time trial running has been fantastic so he’s got that right... shown a few glimpses last year so I reckon the staff should be investing heavily into Toby.   
He and Kozzie could prove really dynamic in the forward half as a pairing. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Matt Demon said:

I'd love to have a wager on that.

Jacko Will play at least 10 games IMO.

Too competitive,  classy and smart at getting the ball to not play forward or even in tuck or midfield.

FWIW Kossy similar no To LJ and Rivers betw 5 and 15 Depending  upon Hibbo and Lord Nev form and fitness Plus his development.

sounds desperate I know and I also think Sparrow And Jordon Especially will get 8/10 games and Chandler/Bedford a small no of opportunities but more if injuries or form to our crumbing players.

Devrlopmental all of these young guns but I believe they will prosper from fitness prep pre season and blend of youth and more experienced players in team developing as season goes by!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grey wolf said:

I think (hope) we can be competitive this year with Burgess and the recruits but to win the big games we need Oliver Brayshaw and Petracca to go to another level and be A grade match winners....

Agree.

And i'd add tmac. He is critical I reckon.

I also think melksham is super important.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

I’m not sure either of the Wagner brothers will get a game.

I hope they go James Harmes like but unlikely.

I said at the start of last season the tif either Wagner, especially Corey, end up playing bulk amount of games, then we're in for a troubled year.

Think it was @dazzledavey36 that shot me down for calling Corey "depth at best".  I haven't changed my stance on this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I don’t think we’ll see Luke Jackson this season, I think he’ll have a massive development year building his tank and body. 

We'll likely see him for 10 games or so barring injury, but I think people need to temper their expectations with him. Just because he's a pick 3, doesn't mean he'll play and dominate immediately. Tall players take longer to develop, and going by the few bits I've seen from training Jacko appears a long way off it. He's brilliant with ground ball for a bloke his size, but he really struggles with contested marking and was getting schooled by Omac last time I saw him. All his best moments I've seen at training have been using his smarts to avoid a contest - floating across a pack to take an uncontested mark or not going up with a pack and gathering the ball like a crumber when it's not marked. He's got potential, but fans need to have patience with him.

Most development required for genuine best 22 candidates in my view are Weid and Baker.
Weid has shown he can play well at the level, but needs to cement himself and play his role consistently at AFL level. He needs to stay on the park, kick a goal a game, provide a marking target and repeat leads. If he stays fit, works hard, and his teammates honour his leads, then he'll come on in a hurry.
Baker has some great traits and his pace could be a godsend for us, but he needs to learn how to use it at the right time eg. running to create space, running away from content, when to slow run to make sure his kicking is effective etc. Still not convinced he'll make it, but I hope he does.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

We'll likely see him for 10 games or so barring injury, but I think people need to temper their expectations with him. Just because he's a pick 3, doesn't mean he'll play and dominate immediately. Tall players take longer to develop, and going by the few bits I've seen from training Jacko appears a long way off it. He's brilliant with ground ball for a bloke his size, but he really struggles with contested marking and was getting schooled by Omac last time I saw him. All his best moments I've seen at training have been using his smarts to avoid a contest - floating across a pack to take an uncontested mark or not going up with a pack and gathering the ball like a crumber when it's not marked. He's got potential, but fans need to have patience with him.

Most development required for genuine best 22 candidates in my view are Weid and Baker.
Weid has shown he can play well at the level, but needs to cement himself and play his role consistently at AFL level. He needs to stay on the park, kick a goal a game, provide a marking target and repeat leads. If he stays fit, works hard, and his teammates honour his leads, then he'll come on in a hurry.
Baker has some great traits and his pace could be a godsend for us, but he needs to learn how to use it at the right time eg. running to create space, running away from content, when to slow run to make sure his kicking is effective etc. Still not convinced he'll make it, but I hope he does.

Good summation there LT agree with 95% of that. The 5% I disagree with is the Weid has to average better than 1 goal per game. 1.5 is my mininium. I expect  an average of 2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grey wolf said:

I think (hope) we can be competitive this year with Burgess and the recruits but to win the big games we need Oliver Brayshaw and Petracca to go to another level and be A grade match winners....

Totally agree. We need our best 6-10 players (which includes above 3) to improve that little bit and play to full potential plus the last 10-15 players to go up 10-20% and we'll be right up there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

I’m not sure either of the Wagner brothers will get a game.

I hope they go James Harmes like but unlikely.

I actually think both the Wagner brothers are not that far off being pretty decent, solid footballers in their respective positions.  Good athleticism, reasonable skills and bucket loads of courage (thinking mostly of Josh in this respect).  The things I guess that are a bit questionable about Josh in particular are his decision making and skill execution under pressure.

I think players  like the Wagners could probably be categorized as nearly, but not quite playing at the required standard to be regular firsts players.  It's probably is these kind of players and guys like Lockhart, Spargo etc that we need to take a step up and play a role for the team when required, such that their presence in the team is seamless and helps us get those 3 or 4 more wins during the season to take us from finishing just inside the top 8 to inside the top 4.

Not to say that their development can be mismanaged, but players like Jackson, Pickett and Co are probably going to be good players regardless and their talents will push them up to playing seniors where they will have plenty of opportunities to develop an understanding of what is required to play at the top level.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 4

1. Nietschke

2. Bradtke 

3. KK

After that we have 40+ players who should play well enough at VFL to have a chance. We don’t know much about the first and even second year kids but I’d expect most to impress at Casey. The gap on our list between 20th and 40th best player is very slim. 

Baker and Spargo seem to have done the least training so it’s unlilely we see them in the early rounds. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Matt Demon said:

I'd love to have a wager on that.

I'm with Ethan......can't see Jackson playing seniors for at least 2 years & although some say he can play forward, not sure hes going to tip Wiederman , T Mac, Petracca, Melksham, Hunt or a fit Vanders out of a spot. Throw in ANB & Goody's love child's Hannan & Spargo & the Dees just don't have the luxury & time to blood in 2020. 

Wins are a crucial for SG future.

I will take that wager Matt.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

20 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I don’t think we’ll see Luke Jackson this season, I think he’ll have a massive development year building his tank and body. 

I hope the Weid and Preuss perform and we let him develop in the background. as it should be for a tall. and bring him in when he knocks the door down and some. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

1. Nietschke

2. Bradtke 

3. KK

After that we have 40+ players who should play well enough at VFL to have a chance. We don’t know much about the first and even second year kids but I’d expect most to impress at Casey. The gap on our list between 20th and 40th best player is very slim. 

Baker and Spargo seem to have done the least training so it’s unlilely we see them in the early rounds. 

I don't think KK really needs development as much as he does to get over his concussion problems.  Unless you are talking about him learning to better position his body and be smarter about which balls to go for like Gus Brayshaw reportedly did post his concussion problems.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Chazz said:

I said at the start of last season the tif either Wagner, especially Corey, end up playing bulk amount of games, then we're in for a troubled year.

Think it was @dazzledavey36 that shot me down for calling Corey "depth at best".  I haven't changed my stance on this.

Wrong guy. In saying that I would rather Corey in the side then ANB. Corey is depth for now.

His brother on the other hand shouldn't even be on our list.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2