• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Levi Casboult

Lord Nev

Potentially available due to an 'awkward' contract situation at Carlton.

Short version is he played enough games to trigger another year (2020) but given his form this year he's gunning for 2 years. Would be 30 when next season starts (birthday is in March), so 2 years doesn't seem crazy as far as we go.

The problem could be the trade and wage cost given his lift this year, but for the right price in both regards he could be a handy pair of hands and back up ruck for us. The attractions as far as the club goes would be his versatility and that it gives us more options to play 3 tall forwards, which seemed to be the initial plan this year.

Thoughts?

AFL trade whispers 2019: Levi Casboult wants Carlton to extend contract

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

Thoughts?

Massive no from me.  I don't think we need to recruit key position players unless it's someone of high quality to play alongside T Mac.  Outside run and small forwards should be our focus.

Yeah fair enough, don't see why we couldn't have more than one 'focus' though? Would hope we'd be more active in the offseason than that given the year we had.

With T.Smith apparently gone, J.Smith no guarantee, Preuss a couple of preseaeons away, Keilty gone, we'd be going into next season with TMac (iffy proposition given this year), Weid (still a while off) and Petty (hardly proven) as our key forwards. I'm not saying it's our biggest priority, I agree outside run is, but it 100% is a need IMO.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yeah fair enough, don't see why we couldn't have more than one 'focus' though? Would hope we'd be more active in the offseason than that given the year we had.

With T.Smith apparently gone, J.Smith no guarantee, Preuss a couple of preseaeons away, Keilty gone, we'd be going into next season with TMac (iffy proposition given this year), Weid (still a while off) and Petty (hardly proven) as our key forwards. I'm not saying it's our biggest priority, I agree outside run is, but it 100% is a need IMO.

Well we do have more than one focus - outside run through the middle of the ground and small forwards.  We've seen teams get by without much of a key forward this year at different times, so I think it's further down the list from me.  However, if someone of quality is up for grabs then I'd be all for it.  I just don't think Casboult is that player.

I think a forward line with Tom Mac, Weid and Fritsch as those marking type forwards works well, and then you have Petty waiting in the wings.  Melksham has also shown the capability to play as 'key' forward when given the chance to be one out with his opponent.

2 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

His goal kicking was much improved this year. Levi could be Earl Spalding in reverse. Is he a free agent?

He's not. If he hadn't played 30 games in the last 2 years he would be, but because he reached that number it triggered another year on his contract.

Well we do have more than one focus - outside run through the middle of the ground and small forwards.  We've seen teams get by without much of a key forward this year at different times, so I think it's further down the list from me.  However, if someone of quality is up for grabs then I'd be all for it.  I just don't think Casboult is that player.

I think a forward line with Tom Mac, Weid and Fritsch as those marking type forwards works well, and then you have Petty waiting in the wings.  Melksham has also shown the capability to play as 'key' forward when given the chance to be one out with his opponent.

Yeah can totally understand all of that mate. Wonder if we'd look at one in the draft then? Just feel that TMac, Weid, Petty and Preuss isn't much in the way of key forward stocks.

IMO our 'quality' trading will go into the outside mids, so couldn't see us adding a gun key forward and players like Casboult and Jenkins seem the more realistic options.

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Yeah can totally understand all of that mate. Wonder if we'd look at one in the draft then? Just feel that TMac, Weid, Petty and Preuss isn't much in the way of key forward stocks.

IMO our 'quality' trading will go into the outside mids, so couldn't see us adding a gun key forward and players like Casboult and Jenkins seem the more realistic options.

Well if you look at the Top 4 right now, you'll see that their key position stocks up forward aren't a whole lot better than ours.

Geelong relies heavily on Hawkins, and gets plenty of goals from their smalls.

Brisbane has Hipwood and, to an extent, Dan McStay, but rely heavily again on Charlie Cameron and their mids to hit the scoreboard.

Richmond do have Riewoldt and Lynch, but don't have a whole lot in reserve after that.

The Pies have Mihocek and Cox, but get more of their goals from mid sized forwards like De Goey, Stephenson and Elliot.

That's a small sample size, but I think with the above talls to go with Fritta, Melksham and to a lesser extent Petracca, then we're not too bad in the tall forward stocks.  The other teams have a few but not much else after that, but are creative enough to get goals from more players than we did this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Wiseblood said:

Well if you look at the Top 4 right now, you'll see that their key position stocks up forward aren't a whole lot better than ours.

Geelong relies heavily on Hawkins, and gets plenty of goals from their smalls.

Brisbane has Hipwood and, to an extent, Dan McStay, but rely heavily again on Charlie Cameron and their mids to hit the scoreboard.

Richmond do have Riewoldt and Lynch, but don't have a whole lot in reserve after that.

The Pies have Mihocek and Cox, but get more of their goals from mid sized forwards like De Goey, Stephenson and Elliot.

That's a small sample size, but I think with the above talls to go with Fritta, Melksham and to a lesser extent Petracca, then we're not too bad in the tall forward stocks.  The other teams have a few but not much else after that, but are creative enough to get goals from more players than we did this year.

So if Weid and TMac get injured again, like this year, then we have Petty and Preuss as our key forwards? Not convinced by that.

The current reigning premiers have a pretty good tall forward setup.

I'm not saying we invest heavily in gun key forwards, I've already stated that a few times, I'm saying our depth in that important area is now very poor.

Surely we saw in the Sydney game how much a lack of tall forwards hurts us? And that was with all of Trac, Fritsch and Melksham playing. In that game we had 55 inside 50s, but only 11 marks inside 50, and a total of 5 goals.

45 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Short version is he played enough games to trigger another year (2020) but given his form this year he's gunning for 2 years. Would be 30 when next season starts (birthday is in March), so 2 years doesn't seem crazy as far as we go.

The problem could be the trade and wage cost given his lift this year, but for the right price in both regards he could be a handy pair of hands and back up ruck for us. The attractions as far as the club goes would be his versatility and that it gives us more options to play 3 tall forwards, which seemed to be the initial plan this year.

Thoughts?

With Pruess developing nicely, his ruck craft is good and he will build his tank and forward craft into next season, and Gawn becoming more versatile up forward/back etc, I'd rather we stick with TMac and Weid as our key forwards and have the flexibility to swing May forward. To bring in Casboult would mean Preuss plays VFL unless there are injuries.

We desperately need pace on the wing and small forward/s who can bring pressure at ground level and kick goals.

A no for me. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Surely we saw in the Sydney game how much a lack of tall forwards hurts us? And that was with all of Trac, Fritsch and Melksham playing. In that game we had 55 inside 50s, but only 11 marks inside 50, and a total of 5 goals.

I think that speaks more about our usage going forward than our lack of targets.

But I'm happy to agree to disagree.  I don't see him as someone we need to even glance at, but if the club sees it as an area of need then there isn't much I can do about that.

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I think that speaks more about our usage going forward than our lack of targets.

But I'm happy to agree to disagree.  I don't see him as someone we need to even glance at, but if the club sees it as an area of need then there isn't much I can do about that.

Yep, all fair enough mate, you raise some good points. I'm not super duper keen on him, but for the right price I feel some kind of mature KPF depth would be handy. Cheers!

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Yep, all fair enough mate, you raise some good points. I'm not super duper keen on him, but for the right price I feel some kind of mature KPF depth would be handy. Cheers!

And I'll agree re: the price.  If he came super cheap then I can't complain.  If he fails then we've lost nothing, and if he nails a second or third tall spot down for us, then we've gained plenty.

I just have a feeling the FD won't be looking at talls in this trade period, but then I know nothing and could be totally wrong!

• Like 1

And I'll agree re: the price.  If he came super cheap then I can't complain.  If he fails then we've lost nothing, and if he nails a second or third tall spot down for us, then we've gained plenty.

I just have a feeling the FD won't be looking at talls in this trade period, but then I know nothing and could be totally wrong!

Yeah, look talls are 3rd down my list behind winger/outside runners and small forwards, but we definitely have a lot of work to do on our list this offseason I reckon.

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Thoughts?

Yep, would have him, offer him 2 years. We need another player in the Fwd line that can help T-Mac and Weid (possibly) He takes a big defender to play on him, and form considered, he probably takes the 1 02 defender, frees up others. Why not.

Nothing should be shot down without proper investigation and thought.

6 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

He's not anymore.

He had a contract clause that said if he played 30 games in 2 years he gets an automatic extra year.

He's ended up playing those 30 so he's now automatically contracted for 2020.

The sticking point is he's pushing for 2 years as an extension, and Carlton just want to stay with the 1.

• Like 1