Jump to content

McQueen

Changes vs Geelong Rd 2

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Dame Gaga said:

Please help me out DeeSpencer. I was never good at math, but four players came out of your side and four players came in. Yet I cannot find young Brayshaw. Please explain this anomaly before I organize a search and rescue of the Bermuda Triangle for the poor boy.

Lockhart is also a rookie & can't play seniors 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Lockhart is also a rookie & can't play seniors 

 

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Chandler is on the rookie list, so he would need to be upgraded.

 

Just to clarify, Rookies can be upgraded without the need for a LTI so its simply lodging the paperwork with AFL House.  Simples.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 11:13 AM, Win4theAges said:

Big Pruessy has to come into the side, its going to be a common theme of Gawny get worked over by a 2 man ruck combo.

Gawn played a shocker on Sat, one not likely to be repeated.

However, you can almost hear the refrain from opposition coaches, players and supporters, "No Gawn No Melbourne""

Beat Gawn and you minimize the opportunities for the Melbourne midfield to control the game. 

Even back in the day, people said the same thing about the great players, No Barassi No Melbourne, No Hudson No Hawthorn, No Hart No Richmond, No Dusty or Rance No Richmond etc etc.

However, subject to injury, great champions have the ability to bounce back and rarely play poor games.

Also great sides and great coaches can come up with ways to minimize the loss or poor form of a champion. 

I have no doubt that Gawn will bounce back but he will need to as Melbourne is not a great side at the moment and we don't have a great coach at the moment. I am not saying that Goodwin is a poor coach but he clearly has a view about the game plan and how he wants his team to play but this appears to limit his creativity and flexibility on game day.

It will be interesting to see if the addition of Preuss will make a difference but I doubt it. The opponents strategy will be to counter Gawn whether Preuss is on the field or not.  He may provide support to Gawn but he this will not stop the focus on Max. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albeit my smoked eyes and watching without sound in the mullumbimby pub could have impacted my judgement but... I thought our two most ineffectual players were the fat boy and little Spargo (and of course Viney who looked sore).

consensus is May will come in for either OMac Hore or Frosty... I’d make it OMac to go to Casey and try and get some steel. Happy for Hore  to get 3 or 4 games to see if he can get up with the speed of the game. I like frosty’s craziness.

billy Stretch has got to have more flexibility than Spargo even if only so Jones or Frittata don’t have to play wing. Spargo can play midfield for Casey and try gain some new tricks.

the fat boy is a worry. I’d like him to play at Casey and he can’t get back until he rips it up there two weeks in a row and he would have a license to be selfish. Keilty starts on the bench and gives Weed and Max spells.

If Lewis is fit I’d bring him in for Viney who can’t come back until he is pain free and fit enough to play at least 80% game time.

4 changes is a lot but we don’t wan to be 0-2 or 0-4 before we move..

TEAM could look like 

Jetta May Hore

Salem Frost Hibberd

Stretch Gus Jones

Melksham Weed ANB

Hunt Tmac Frittata 

Gawn Oliver Harmes

I/C.... Sparrow Keilty Wagner  (Lewis or Viney)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In: May, Kolodjasnij?? (We are really lacking choice at the moment)

Out: Viney, Frost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always tricky for coaches after round 1 to throw your best-laid plans out the door. So while I am pushing for four changes, it would not surprise me to see just two - May and KK in.

We all know that Goody has preferred OMac's precision kicking over Frost's dash and dare, it took six goals from TomaHawk at the Cattery last year before he finally conceded Frosty was better one-on-one than OMac.  Frosty's two big howlers on Saturday will cost him, so unfortunately we are stuck with the slow and steady OMac - 63 games now but has anyone ever really warmed to him for his workrate and intensity. He'll play on Esava and May will take Tom-a-Hawk.

Clearly we were also smashed at the stoppages, but I expect a response from Gawn, Oliver and Viney. If they don't, we won't be playing finals, but they will fire up because they are all competitors.

Our lack of outside run will require at least one change. KK is a cert and Billy must be pretty close to coming straight back in to provide more run. The tricky thing is to find room for them.

Hore was badly beaten a couple of times against Port and I can't recall too many successful intercepts.  The Cats new small forward set up won't really suit him match-up wise and Fritter can play his role anyway. That frees up one wing for KK.

Spargo is yet to show the same crumbing and evasive ability in four games ( 3 pre-season) as last year, so it's time for him to go back and dominate in VFL for a few weeks. Sparrow was handy as the small forward and Wags junior worked his butt off even if he wasn't able to impact much. I'd play Wags Jr as a pressure small with ANB and free up the other wing/midfield rotation for Billy.

The final change is whether we need a protector up forward as well as a better back-up tapman than Weid who conceded two goals through ineffectual work when rucking. Like others I don't quite see why we dropped the Gawn/Preuss experiment so quickly - it worked so well against the Pies. Sure Preuss is slow, but he's a scary body and down at the Cattery we need that. 

Being a night game, I'd have plans two sets of plans according to the weather. If it's still a mild night, then play the three bigs - Weid, T-Mac and Preuss - and leave out Christian Petracca - how many games is he going to get before he has to work on his weaknesses at VFL level. But if it's wet or greasy I'd leave out Weid because his ruck work is so poor that Esava will exploit him.

In: May, KK, Stretch and Preuss

Out: Frost, Hore, Spargo and Petracca (Weid if wet).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viney was less than stellar yet his form in the Casey practice match was top class.

Was there an injury or was it just a step up too soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

In: May, Kolodjasnij?? (We are really lacking choice at the moment)

Out: Viney, Frost

Agree DL5. I'd like to find a spot for Preuss to support Max, but I think speed is the need. If not KK, maybe Stretch (urghhh!). I want to see Oscar Baker sooner rather than later. Disposal by foot is the problem with Stretch and Baker.

So much for depth....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

We could genuinely be an 0-4... 

That is a real "loser" way of thinking. 

How could you have us down for a loss in round 3 against the Dons given their performance on the weekend? They have the ability to bounce back after a poor performance but because we play poorly in round one our season is dead? 

Out of curiosity, round 1 last year did you give up on the season straight away? From memory in that game we didn't play anywhere near our best and some how were still in the game until the final siren. 

We were in the game (on the scoreboard) in the last quarter on the weekend, playing with 3 debutantes and a lot of senior players with limited preseason. Sure, Jones & Viney were likely not ready based on match fitness, however who would come in for those boys? They will be better for the run and I can guarantee they will not play that poorly next week.  

Sure we played poorly on the weekend, I got no doubt we will bounce back and play much closer to our best footy this weekend, have a little faith in your team and the powers in charge at the club. 

Just remember we could also genuinely be 3-1. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Agree DL5. I'd like to find a spot for Preuss to support Max, but I think speed is the need. If not KK, maybe Stretch (urghhh!). I want to see Oscar Baker sooner rather than later. Disposal by foot is the problem with Stretch and Baker.

So much for depth....

Bit harsh when we have J Smith, AVB, Hannan, Lewis, Garlett, Lever, JKH, T Smith and May out of the side for Round 1.  I know some of those aren't best 22, but they add to our depth.  Every team begins to scrape the barrel a little when the injuries mount up a little.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GCDee said:

That is a real "loser" way of thinking. 

How could you have us down for a loss in round 3 against the Dons given their performance on the weekend? They have the ability to bounce back after a poor performance but because we play poorly in round one our season is dead? 

Out of curiosity, round 1 last year did you give up on the season straight away? From memory in that game we didn't play anywhere near our best and some how were still in the game until the final siren. 

We were in the game (on the scoreboard) in the last quarter on the weekend, playing with 3 debutantes and a lot of senior players with limited preseason. Sure, Jones & Viney were likely not ready based on match fitness, however who would come in for those boys? They will be better for the run and I can guarantee they will not play that poorly next week.  

Sure we played poorly on the weekend, I got no doubt we will bounce back and play much closer to our best footy this weekend, have a little faith in your team and the powers in charge at the club. 

Just remember we could also genuinely be 3-1. 

 

 

Love the positivity, GC.  Back in '06 we started off the year 0-3 and then went on to win 11 of our next 12.  A few early losses doesn't confine us to the bottom 10.  As you say, we could easily go 3-1 if we get back to playing the Melbourne way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

Love the positivity, GC.  Back in '06 we started off the year 0-3 and then went on to win 11 of our next 12.  A few early losses doesn't confine us to the bottom 10.  As you say, we could easily go 3-1 if we get back to playing the Melbourne way.  

Thanks Wise... I really cannot believe the over reactions on here over a loss, surely we weren't expecting to go 22-0 then 3-0 in finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GCDee said:

Thanks Wise... I really cannot believe the over reactions on here over a loss, surely we weren't expecting to go 22-0 then 3-0 in finals.

I can understand the reactions - I think we were all going in to this game thinking we would win, and to lose the way we did was a let down.  Higher finishes and a better list means the expectations rise and, therefore, losses like this one are analysed more harshly.

I think we'll be right.  It just might take us some time to get there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hemingway said:

Gawn played a shocker on Sat, one not likely to be repeated.

However, you can almost hear the refrain from opposition coaches, players and supporters, "No Gawn No Melbourne""

Beat Gawn and you minimize the opportunities for the Melbourne midfield to control the game. 

Even back in the day, people said the same thing about the great players, No Barassi No Melbourne, No Hudson No Hawthorn, No Hart No Richmond, No Dusty or Rance No Richmond etc etc.

However, subject to injury, great champions have the ability to bounce back and rarely play poor games.

Also great sides and great coaches can come up with ways to minimize the loss or poor form of a champion. 

I have no doubt that Gawn will bounce back but he will need to as Melbourne is not a great side at the moment and we don't have a great coach at the moment. I am not saying that Goodwin is a poor coach but he clearly has a view about the game plan and how he wants his team to play but this appears to limit his creativity and flexibility on game day.

It will be interesting to see if the addition of Preuss will make a difference but I doubt it. The opponents strategy will be to counter Gawn whether Preuss is on the field or not.  He may provide support to Gawn but he this will not stop the focus on Max. 

I agree about Preuss. We got beaten by leg speed and contested possessions in the mid field.

He wouldn't have made a difference.

I thought Dec Keilty did alright in JLT and may be better suited to support Gawn while having some more toe than Preuss

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Bit harsh when we have J Smith, AVB, Hannan, Lewis, Garlett, Lever, JKH, T Smith and May out of the side for Round 1.  I know some of those aren't best 22, but they add to our depth.  Every team begins to scrape the barrel a little when the injuries mount up a little.  

Yeah I agree......also some are quick to critisize Frosty, O'mac & other players who have had very little senior footy for their disposal inefficiency, when the embarrasment from the weekend came from 2 or 3 of our most senior players.

Coach has to grow some plums!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Laughing Goat said:

Yeah I agree......also some are quick to critisize Frosty, O'mac & other players who have had very little senior footy for their disposal inefficiency, when the embarrasment from the weekend came from 2 or 3 of our most senior players.

Coach has to grow some plums!

I've defended both, but Frost and O Mac are clearly depth players for us.  Are they going to improve beyond their current capabilities?  Probably not.  But they are handy depth players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I've defended both, but Frost and O Mac are clearly depth players for us.  Are they going to improve beyond their current capabilities?  Probably not.  But they are handy depth players.

I disagree WB.

Depth players don't usually play 70 games in there first 4 years & like Oscar or not (& I do) he is here to stay......or at least will Goodwin is coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all started in the middle, gawn, gus, oliver and harmes were all beaten by there direct opponents. Until this is rectified everything else is window dressing. Unfortunately there no easy fix for that as that is our A team for the foreseeable future, Viney and Vanders when fit will help. Maybe we could use Trac in the middle more in the mean time or Salem who seems to be up and about.

May in should help specifically against Hawkins this week, KK, Stretch, and Wagner should all in consideration to come in for 1 or both of Viney and Spargo as both could use a spell

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

I disagree WB.

Depth players don't usually play 70 games in there first 4 years & like Oscar or not (& I do) he is here to stay......or at least will Goodwin is coach.

If they weren't depth players, then we wouldn't have gone so hard at recruiting Lever and May.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

They are not going to drop those 3 players all at the same time, if you think that the back six were solely responsible for saturday's  loss you are sadly mistaken.

Why not? Kolodjashnij comes in straight replacement for Hore and Petty who played well in the VFL according to Drunkin replaces Oscar the spud and May was always going to replace Frost. Any of those 3 stay in and spud up the side watch a belting. The midfield and forward line can improve those 3 can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dame Gaga said:

Please help me out DeeSpencer. I was never good at math, but four players came out of your side and four players came in. Yet I cannot find young Brayshaw. Please explain this anomaly before I organize a search and rescue of the Bermuda Triangle for the poor boy.

2 Clayton's, 0 Brayshaw's.

After hearing the Casey reviews and reflecting on the game some more I'm actually more likely to stick with Hore and hope he can pick up the tempo. Change both the key defenders. And make at least one change to the half forwards.

The other thought I keep coming back to is what to do with Viney. If he isn't 100% cherry ripe I'd rather he miss a couple of weeks. There's just too great a difference between his best football and when he's not healthy.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If vandenBerg is out for the season then suddenly the loss of Kent hurts even more.

Is that because Kent would generally keep him company during rehab?

My issue with Goodwin is that he continually picks his project players.  Last year it was the likes of Maynard and Joel Smith getting picked, this year it already seems that it could be the likes of Hore and Wagner that will get games even though they perform quite poorly.  There are absolutely times where we can carry a couple of those types of players, so their individual performance goes unnoticed, but on the weekend, just like Round 1 last year vs Geelong, I just felt he (Goody) puts too much faith in to players that he has brought in to the club.

I mentioned it on Thursday night when the teams were released that our 19-22 players were poor, and when Lewis was a late out, it meant we were carrying 4 or 5 players that I don't think really justified a senior selection.  Add to that the likes of Jones, Viney and Melksham being underdone, it had all the ingredients for a disaster, which is what duly eventuated.  I do acknowledge that the cupboard would've been quite bare when names of available players were thrown around during Match Committee meeting.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

If they weren't depth players, then we wouldn't have gone so hard at recruiting Lever and May.

I agree with Frost being a depth player, but I haven't seen any evidence thus far that suggests that Oscar is a depth player.......the proof will be when Lever returns in the later half of the year when May is also in the side.

We all know he's one of Goodwin's fav's so let's not dance around that fact either. 

He wont be dropped.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly, highly doubt Goody and the FD see Omac as 'depth'. More likely they see him as a key back for us for the next 8 years, barring major injury.

May and Omac will be our kpd's, Lever 3rd tall, Frost depth.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...