Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

McQueen

Changes vs Geelong Rd 2

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Dame Gaga said:

Please help me out DeeSpencer. I was never good at math, but four players came out of your side and four players came in. Yet I cannot find young Brayshaw. Please explain this anomaly before I organize a search and rescue of the Bermuda Triangle for the poor boy.

Lockhart is also a rookie & can't play seniors 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Lockhart is also a rookie & can't play seniors 

 

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Chandler is on the rookie list, so he would need to be upgraded.

 

Just to clarify, Rookies can be upgraded without the need for a LTI so its simply lodging the paperwork with AFL House.  Simples.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 11:13 AM, Win4theAges said:

Big Pruessy has to come into the side, its going to be a common theme of Gawny get worked over by a 2 man ruck combo.

Gawn played a shocker on Sat, one not likely to be repeated.

However, you can almost hear the refrain from opposition coaches, players and supporters, "No Gawn No Melbourne""

Beat Gawn and you minimize the opportunities for the Melbourne midfield to control the game. 

Even back in the day, people said the same thing about the great players, No Barassi No Melbourne, No Hudson No Hawthorn, No Hart No Richmond, No Dusty or Rance No Richmond etc etc.

However, subject to injury, great champions have the ability to bounce back and rarely play poor games.

Also great sides and great coaches can come up with ways to minimize the loss or poor form of a champion. 

I have no doubt that Gawn will bounce back but he will need to as Melbourne is not a great side at the moment and we don't have a great coach at the moment. I am not saying that Goodwin is a poor coach but he clearly has a view about the game plan and how he wants his team to play but this appears to limit his creativity and flexibility on game day.

It will be interesting to see if the addition of Preuss will make a difference but I doubt it. The opponents strategy will be to counter Gawn whether Preuss is on the field or not.  He may provide support to Gawn but he this will not stop the focus on Max. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albeit my smoked eyes and watching without sound in the mullumbimby pub could have impacted my judgement but... I thought our two most ineffectual players were the fat boy and little Spargo (and of course Viney who looked sore).

consensus is May will come in for either OMac Hore or Frosty... I’d make it OMac to go to Casey and try and get some steel. Happy for Hore  to get 3 or 4 games to see if he can get up with the speed of the game. I like frosty’s craziness.

billy Stretch has got to have more flexibility than Spargo even if only so Jones or Frittata don’t have to play wing. Spargo can play midfield for Casey and try gain some new tricks.

the fat boy is a worry. I’d like him to play at Casey and he can’t get back until he rips it up there two weeks in a row and he would have a license to be selfish. Keilty starts on the bench and gives Weed and Max spells.

If Lewis is fit I’d bring him in for Viney who can’t come back until he is pain free and fit enough to play at least 80% game time.

4 changes is a lot but we don’t wan to be 0-2 or 0-4 before we move..

TEAM could look like 

Jetta May Hore

Salem Frost Hibberd

Stretch Gus Jones

Melksham Weed ANB

Hunt Tmac Frittata 

Gawn Oliver Harmes

I/C.... Sparrow Keilty Wagner  (Lewis or Viney)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In: May, Kolodjasnij?? (We are really lacking choice at the moment)

Out: Viney, Frost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always tricky for coaches after round 1 to throw your best-laid plans out the door. So while I am pushing for four changes, it would not surprise me to see just two - May and KK in.

We all know that Goody has preferred OMac's precision kicking over Frost's dash and dare, it took six goals from TomaHawk at the Cattery last year before he finally conceded Frosty was better one-on-one than OMac.  Frosty's two big howlers on Saturday will cost him, so unfortunately we are stuck with the slow and steady OMac - 63 games now but has anyone ever really warmed to him for his workrate and intensity. He'll play on Esava and May will take Tom-a-Hawk.

Clearly we were also smashed at the stoppages, but I expect a response from Gawn, Oliver and Viney. If they don't, we won't be playing finals, but they will fire up because they are all competitors.

Our lack of outside run will require at least one change. KK is a cert and Billy must be pretty close to coming straight back in to provide more run. The tricky thing is to find room for them.

Hore was badly beaten a couple of times against Port and I can't recall too many successful intercepts.  The Cats new small forward set up won't really suit him match-up wise and Fritter can play his role anyway. That frees up one wing for KK.

Spargo is yet to show the same crumbing and evasive ability in four games ( 3 pre-season) as last year, so it's time for him to go back and dominate in VFL for a few weeks. Sparrow was handy as the small forward and Wags junior worked his butt off even if he wasn't able to impact much. I'd play Wags Jr as a pressure small with ANB and free up the other wing/midfield rotation for Billy.

The final change is whether we need a protector up forward as well as a better back-up tapman than Weid who conceded two goals through ineffectual work when rucking. Like others I don't quite see why we dropped the Gawn/Preuss experiment so quickly - it worked so well against the Pies. Sure Preuss is slow, but he's a scary body and down at the Cattery we need that. 

Being a night game, I'd have plans two sets of plans according to the weather. If it's still a mild night, then play the three bigs - Weid, T-Mac and Preuss - and leave out Christian Petracca - how many games is he going to get before he has to work on his weaknesses at VFL level. But if it's wet or greasy I'd leave out Weid because his ruck work is so poor that Esava will exploit him.

In: May, KK, Stretch and Preuss

Out: Frost, Hore, Spargo and Petracca (Weid if wet).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viney was less than stellar yet his form in the Casey practice match was top class.

Was there an injury or was it just a step up too soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

In: May, Kolodjasnij?? (We are really lacking choice at the moment)

Out: Viney, Frost

Agree DL5. I'd like to find a spot for Preuss to support Max, but I think speed is the need. If not KK, maybe Stretch (urghhh!). I want to see Oscar Baker sooner rather than later. Disposal by foot is the problem with Stretch and Baker.

So much for depth....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

We could genuinely be an 0-4... 

That is a real "loser" way of thinking. 

How could you have us down for a loss in round 3 against the Dons given their performance on the weekend? They have the ability to bounce back after a poor performance but because we play poorly in round one our season is dead? 

Out of curiosity, round 1 last year did you give up on the season straight away? From memory in that game we didn't play anywhere near our best and some how were still in the game until the final siren. 

We were in the game (on the scoreboard) in the last quarter on the weekend, playing with 3 debutantes and a lot of senior players with limited preseason. Sure, Jones & Viney were likely not ready based on match fitness, however who would come in for those boys? They will be better for the run and I can guarantee they will not play that poorly next week.  

Sure we played poorly on the weekend, I got no doubt we will bounce back and play much closer to our best footy this weekend, have a little faith in your team and the powers in charge at the club. 

Just remember we could also genuinely be 3-1. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Agree DL5. I'd like to find a spot for Preuss to support Max, but I think speed is the need. If not KK, maybe Stretch (urghhh!). I want to see Oscar Baker sooner rather than later. Disposal by foot is the problem with Stretch and Baker.

So much for depth....

Bit harsh when we have J Smith, AVB, Hannan, Lewis, Garlett, Lever, JKH, T Smith and May out of the side for Round 1.  I know some of those aren't best 22, but they add to our depth.  Every team begins to scrape the barrel a little when the injuries mount up a little.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GCDee said:

That is a real "loser" way of thinking. 

How could you have us down for a loss in round 3 against the Dons given their performance on the weekend? They have the ability to bounce back after a poor performance but because we play poorly in round one our season is dead? 

Out of curiosity, round 1 last year did you give up on the season straight away? From memory in that game we didn't play anywhere near our best and some how were still in the game until the final siren. 

We were in the game (on the scoreboard) in the last quarter on the weekend, playing with 3 debutantes and a lot of senior players with limited preseason. Sure, Jones & Viney were likely not ready based on match fitness, however who would come in for those boys? They will be better for the run and I can guarantee they will not play that poorly next week.  

Sure we played poorly on the weekend, I got no doubt we will bounce back and play much closer to our best footy this weekend, have a little faith in your team and the powers in charge at the club. 

Just remember we could also genuinely be 3-1. 

 

 

Love the positivity, GC.  Back in '06 we started off the year 0-3 and then went on to win 11 of our next 12.  A few early losses doesn't confine us to the bottom 10.  As you say, we could easily go 3-1 if we get back to playing the Melbourne way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

Love the positivity, GC.  Back in '06 we started off the year 0-3 and then went on to win 11 of our next 12.  A few early losses doesn't confine us to the bottom 10.  As you say, we could easily go 3-1 if we get back to playing the Melbourne way.  

Thanks Wise... I really cannot believe the over reactions on here over a loss, surely we weren't expecting to go 22-0 then 3-0 in finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GCDee said:

Thanks Wise... I really cannot believe the over reactions on here over a loss, surely we weren't expecting to go 22-0 then 3-0 in finals.

I can understand the reactions - I think we were all going in to this game thinking we would win, and to lose the way we did was a let down.  Higher finishes and a better list means the expectations rise and, therefore, losses like this one are analysed more harshly.

I think we'll be right.  It just might take us some time to get there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hemingway said:

Gawn played a shocker on Sat, one not likely to be repeated.

However, you can almost hear the refrain from opposition coaches, players and supporters, "No Gawn No Melbourne""

Beat Gawn and you minimize the opportunities for the Melbourne midfield to control the game. 

Even back in the day, people said the same thing about the great players, No Barassi No Melbourne, No Hudson No Hawthorn, No Hart No Richmond, No Dusty or Rance No Richmond etc etc.

However, subject to injury, great champions have the ability to bounce back and rarely play poor games.

Also great sides and great coaches can come up with ways to minimize the loss or poor form of a champion. 

I have no doubt that Gawn will bounce back but he will need to as Melbourne is not a great side at the moment and we don't have a great coach at the moment. I am not saying that Goodwin is a poor coach but he clearly has a view about the game plan and how he wants his team to play but this appears to limit his creativity and flexibility on game day.

It will be interesting to see if the addition of Preuss will make a difference but I doubt it. The opponents strategy will be to counter Gawn whether Preuss is on the field or not.  He may provide support to Gawn but he this will not stop the focus on Max. 

I agree about Preuss. We got beaten by leg speed and contested possessions in the mid field.

He wouldn't have made a difference.

I thought Dec Keilty did alright in JLT and may be better suited to support Gawn while having some more toe than Preuss

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Bit harsh when we have J Smith, AVB, Hannan, Lewis, Garlett, Lever, JKH, T Smith and May out of the side for Round 1.  I know some of those aren't best 22, but they add to our depth.  Every team begins to scrape the barrel a little when the injuries mount up a little.  

Yeah I agree......also some are quick to critisize Frosty, O'mac & other players who have had very little senior footy for their disposal inefficiency, when the embarrasment from the weekend came from 2 or 3 of our most senior players.

Coach has to grow some plums!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Laughing Goat said:

Yeah I agree......also some are quick to critisize Frosty, O'mac & other players who have had very little senior footy for their disposal inefficiency, when the embarrasment from the weekend came from 2 or 3 of our most senior players.

Coach has to grow some plums!

I've defended both, but Frost and O Mac are clearly depth players for us.  Are they going to improve beyond their current capabilities?  Probably not.  But they are handy depth players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I've defended both, but Frost and O Mac are clearly depth players for us.  Are they going to improve beyond their current capabilities?  Probably not.  But they are handy depth players.

I disagree WB.

Depth players don't usually play 70 games in there first 4 years & like Oscar or not (& I do) he is here to stay......or at least will Goodwin is coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all started in the middle, gawn, gus, oliver and harmes were all beaten by there direct opponents. Until this is rectified everything else is window dressing. Unfortunately there no easy fix for that as that is our A team for the foreseeable future, Viney and Vanders when fit will help. Maybe we could use Trac in the middle more in the mean time or Salem who seems to be up and about.

May in should help specifically against Hawkins this week, KK, Stretch, and Wagner should all in consideration to come in for 1 or both of Viney and Spargo as both could use a spell

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

I disagree WB.

Depth players don't usually play 70 games in there first 4 years & like Oscar or not (& I do) he is here to stay......or at least will Goodwin is coach.

If they weren't depth players, then we wouldn't have gone so hard at recruiting Lever and May.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

They are not going to drop those 3 players all at the same time, if you think that the back six were solely responsible for saturday's  loss you are sadly mistaken.

Why not? Kolodjashnij comes in straight replacement for Hore and Petty who played well in the VFL according to Drunkin replaces Oscar the spud and May was always going to replace Frost. Any of those 3 stay in and spud up the side watch a belting. The midfield and forward line can improve those 3 can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dame Gaga said:

Please help me out DeeSpencer. I was never good at math, but four players came out of your side and four players came in. Yet I cannot find young Brayshaw. Please explain this anomaly before I organize a search and rescue of the Bermuda Triangle for the poor boy.

2 Clayton's, 0 Brayshaw's.

After hearing the Casey reviews and reflecting on the game some more I'm actually more likely to stick with Hore and hope he can pick up the tempo. Change both the key defenders. And make at least one change to the half forwards.

The other thought I keep coming back to is what to do with Viney. If he isn't 100% cherry ripe I'd rather he miss a couple of weeks. There's just too great a difference between his best football and when he's not healthy.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If vandenBerg is out for the season then suddenly the loss of Kent hurts even more.

Is that because Kent would generally keep him company during rehab?

My issue with Goodwin is that he continually picks his project players.  Last year it was the likes of Maynard and Joel Smith getting picked, this year it already seems that it could be the likes of Hore and Wagner that will get games even though they perform quite poorly.  There are absolutely times where we can carry a couple of those types of players, so their individual performance goes unnoticed, but on the weekend, just like Round 1 last year vs Geelong, I just felt he (Goody) puts too much faith in to players that he has brought in to the club.

I mentioned it on Thursday night when the teams were released that our 19-22 players were poor, and when Lewis was a late out, it meant we were carrying 4 or 5 players that I don't think really justified a senior selection.  Add to that the likes of Jones, Viney and Melksham being underdone, it had all the ingredients for a disaster, which is what duly eventuated.  I do acknowledge that the cupboard would've been quite bare when names of available players were thrown around during Match Committee meeting.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

If they weren't depth players, then we wouldn't have gone so hard at recruiting Lever and May.

I agree with Frost being a depth player, but I haven't seen any evidence thus far that suggests that Oscar is a depth player.......the proof will be when Lever returns in the later half of the year when May is also in the side.

We all know he's one of Goodwin's fav's so let's not dance around that fact either. 

He wont be dropped.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly, highly doubt Goody and the FD see Omac as 'depth'. More likely they see him as a key back for us for the next 8 years, barring major injury.

May and Omac will be our kpd's, Lever 3rd tall, Frost depth.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...