Operation Re-Sign 2019

Demonland

Melbourne: Sam Weideman

With Jesse Hogan traded to Fremantle, Sam Weideman is now vital to Melbourne’s success going forward.

He had a breakout month at the end of 2018, but will need to prove he can do it across the season.

Regardless, Weideman and the Demons will both want to work out a long-term deal as soon as they can.

Others: Christian Salem, Nathan Jones, Alex Neal-Bullen

With the exception of Kelly and Coniglio who else would you want to target from other clubs?

• Like 1

Weid is the most important signing and Salem will be interesting as to the club and players perception of worth in both contract length and $$$

If you are looking at where we may need to further improve without knowing the output of the current crop we have recruited then Phillips, Gresham, Z Jones, Lewie Taylor should all be enquired into. I still think we need midfield run and a touch of zip around half forward/midfield. I have ignored the unrealistic option of either Kelly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

The author of the article is a [censored]. I love Jones, but he is far from our most important resigning, as is Ablett at Geelong, by putting ageing veterans in his most important signings takes away a lot of credibility 

yes, quite a [censored]

I think we've pretty much got our list now and can't see us making a play for another big name unless one of ours moves on.

Maybe with Lewis moving on and Jones nearing the end we might have some wiggle room.

To keep this list together would be the primary goal and it's going to get more expensive with Oliver an AA and others like Brayshaw heading the same way.

Time to get back to the draft and maybe see how a FA might fit at the right time...but as with Gaff this year the bidding price  is going up sharply for these players (desperate clubs like North & the Saints are pushing the market too high)and way over their value to my thinking.

• Like 8

The talent now is there and although you never stop to make the list stronger there are some gems waiting to be unleashed. Oscar Baker if his hammies can get through the preseason and Tom Sparrow a new recruit both have speed to burn. Midfield talent.

Tie up our  uncontracted  players as IMO we don't need to disturb the list as we now have an excellent cross section probably the best in the AFL. Why in the hell would would you want to leave?

Bit of a nothing article. 

I was hoping it was Gary Pert’s Template to resigning the 27,000 elapsed members from over the past 10 years. 

27,000 Demons were Members and dropped off. Get them back and we are into the 70,000s. 

5 years 100,000 is attainable IF the team consistently perform as a Top 4 Club and can pull of the Premiership(s). 

Tall Order. But that is what the game is about. Winning Cups and Honouring the players and Coaches who make it happen. 

• Like 4

We obviously wont be in the market next year for a high priced free agent as we have too many young players of quality who need to be re-signed (on bigger contracts) before they get poached. IMO the only club to have been a success in luring top line talent for unders is The Hawks. This is who we need to emulate. Their list management has been excellent for a long time.

If we want to be a long term success, with 60k members, fleeting one-off success wont get us there. It needs to be sustained for a long period or we end up back where we started 5 years ago in no time.

While the bath water is currently tasting like Krug, it can turn to vinegar quickly. The same people who write these articles now, will be belting us from pillar to post if we dont produce what they themselves have predicted.  Nice to read if you support the Dees, but it doesnt mean much.

• Like 3

TWSNBN would love to have Melksham back....not going to happen. Anyone notice Fox with their wall to wall scum games, and results.The Media build up will be sickening in 2019, as if THEY have had too much pain these past years, instead of being the unrepentant b"ss they are.....

16 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I was hoping it was Gary Pert’s Template to resigning the 27,000 elapsed members from over the past 10 years. 

27,000 Demons were Members and dropped off. Get them back and we are into the 70,000s. 

5 years 100,000 is attainable IF the team consistently perform as a Top 4 Club and can pull of the Premiership(s). 

Tall Order. But that is what the game is about. Winning Cups and Honouring the players and Coaches who make it happen. 

Where would Perty find all of those ex members.  I suspect he would be doing the rounds of aged care facilities followed by cemetery’s for most of them ?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Where would Perty find all of those ex members.  I suspect he would be doing the rounds of aged care facilities followed by cemetery’s for most of them ?

Lot of people jumped mate. We can get some of them back. Hopefully most. 

Make ‘em feel guilty!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Lot of people jumped mate. We can get some of them back. Hopefully most. 

Make ‘em feel guilty!

I don't think that will work SWYL. Best hope  is win the first eight games

17 hours ago, ding said:

We obviously wont be in the market next year for a high priced free agent as we have too many young players of quality who need to be re-signed (on bigger contracts) before they get poached. IMO the only club to have been a success in luring top line talent for unders is The Hawks. This is who we need to emulate. Their list management has been excellent for a long time.

If we want to be a long term success, with 60k members, fleeting one-off success wont get us there. It needs to be sustained for a long period or we end up back where we started 5 years ago in no time.

While the bath water is currently tasting like Krug, it can turn to vinegar quickly. The same people who write these articles now, will be belting us from pillar to post if we dont produce what they themselves have predicted.  Nice to read if you support the Dees, but it doesnt mean much.

I liked this because he's my brother, and he typed a large post, probably hammered, hoping to get a like.

Edited by faultydet
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, faultydet said:

I liked this because he's my brother, and he typed a large post, probably hammered, hoping to get a like.

Liar, there are no likes on my post.......

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I think you'll find that many of those 27,000 have been back on board for the last two to three years. 

Sure there will still be a handful, but not 27,000.

That would be silly to assume. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan

If i'm in charge i'm putting a decent deal in front of Jade Gresham and Josh Kelly, i suspect Kelly to Norf is basically a done deal, but no reason we can't get in his ear, in fact i'm sure we already are. 

I don't think we have any reason to fear players leaving if we want them to stay given the state of our list and where i think we should go in 2019. 

4 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

If i'm in charge i'm putting a decent deal in front of Jade Gresham and Josh Kelly, i suspect Kelly to Norf is basically a done deal, but no reason we can't get in his ear, in fact i'm sure we already are. 

I don't think we have any reason to fear players leaving if we want them to stay given the state of our list and where i think we should go in 2019. 

Like your thinking, would love to nab Kelly, Gresham or Cogniglio, but I reckon our salary cap will be tight the next couple of years as we re-sign some of our young guns. Or... trade a name player, as we did with Hogan, to make room.

2 hours ago, dl4e said:

If the weed has a good year and doesn't re sign during the year watch out for McGuire and the filth throw everything at him. Must re sign him during the season.

Asides to his value to our team, how enjoyable would it be for the Weid to have a long and prosperous career with the MFC and by doing so getting right up the nose of the filth.