Demonland

Goodwin signs on until end of 2022

I think you are are all asking far too much, when you combine unfulfilled early expectations that now have fallen by the wayside, with this team which is bloody young. We didn't start off like a lot of other scabby teams that sucked the AFL into giving them prime picks along with getting doubtful character older players who would go anywhere for a new start. I dare anyone to say we did. We virtually started again from "nihil" scratch. So if its not working at the moment tough pooperackers........ 

Because of our outspoken overwhelming opinions on young guns (and i use the opinion loosely, which the media rabble pick up and use against us, under the guise of a team of young champs, which they are not) we always seem to have a fall, as per pride etc etc....

Settle in for the ride now, or don't stick it out at all.

29 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Settle in for the ride now, or don't stick it out at all.

Yep.

How many successful coaches over the years have had some rough periods?  Clarkson, Bomber Thompson, Malthouse, Sheedy etc have all gone through tough patches that many thought they wouldn't survive.  Sometimes those periods came well into their coaching career as well.

Goody is still 'young' and the club knows what he is capable of.  This is his first, true test of how he can respond to a major challenge, and while it may take a little time, I think he needs the backing of the supporters to help him see it through.  He got a three year deal because he is the first coach in almost two decades to get us to a Prelim, and his ability to bond with the players and unite the team is to applauded.

Supporters can be too reactionary at times, which is why we are that - supporters.  I guess that's part of the role.  But the club will back him entirely to turn things around, and we should try to do the same.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Yep.

How many successful coaches over the years have had some rough periods?  Clarkson, Bomber Thompson, Malthouse, Sheedy etc have all gone through tough patches that many thought they wouldn't survive.  Sometimes those periods came well into their coaching career as well.

Goody is still 'young' and the club knows what he is capable of.  This is his first, true test of how he can respond to a major challenge, and while it may take a little time, I think he needs the backing of the supporters to help him see it through.  He got a three year deal because he is the first coach in almost two decades to get us to a Prelim, and his ability to bond with the players and unite the team is to applauded.

Supporters can be too reactionary at times, which is why we are that - supporters.  I guess that's part of the role.  But the club will back him entirely to turn things around, and we should try to do the same.

Agree with one caveat- compete review of the assistant coaches at end of season- Goody needs better help than he is getting

6 minutes ago, Sargent Shultz said:

Agree with one caveat- compete review of the assistant coaches at end of season- Goody needs better help than he is getting

I agree with that.  I do think we need a bit of a change outside of Goody.  

While I don't like to pot anyone who works for the club, I do think Misson moving on is a good thing.  He is highly regarded and we don't really know what goes on, but we do see plenty of injuries to players each year, so I think a fresh change there will be a positive.

18 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I agree with that.  I do think we need a bit of a change outside of Goody.  

While I don't like to pot anyone who works for the club, I do think Misson moving on is a good thing.  He is highly regarded and we don't really know what goes on, but we do see plenty of injuries to players each year, so I think a fresh change there will be a positive.

You do realise the assistant coaches have all been appointed or re-appointed under Goodwin.

Would you agree that perhaps someone else needs to look at who should be appointed.

Goodwin has shown himself to be resistant to change. He needs to rethink his approach if we are to improve as a football club.

The real question is whether or not the second half of last year was a coaching aberration because the rest of his term has not been exactly star studded.

• Like 2

Just now, Diamond_Jim said:

You do realise the assistant coaches have all been appointed or re-appointed under Goodwin.

Would you agree that perhaps someone else needs to look at who should be appointed.

Goodwin has shown himself to be resistant to change. He needs to rethink his approach if we are to improve as a football club.

The real question is whether or not the second half of last year was a coaching aberration because the rest of his term has not been exactly star studded.

Of course I realise that.  What difference does it make?  He had every right to do it, seeing as though we made a Prelim.  At that point there was no need to make a change.

BUT... obviously what we have mapped out and planned hasn't exactly gone the way they would have expected, and therefore he can begin to think about a few of those aspects.

3 hours ago, beelzebub said:

If that's the case...or...no change in fortunes, then we have learnt absolutely nothing and the legacy of Jackson and Roos will have been totally flushed down the toilet.

It is not something we are unfamiliar with bb. Situation normal.

No point in staking Goodwin at this stage. He needs some fresh blood around him.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, At the break of Gawn said:

Crazy idea, but why doesn’t Melbourne employ Roos again on some part time consultation basis? I saw better performances in most of 2016 than I have seen all this year. 

It's not that crazy BoG.  If we lose against the Tiges i would say it's a necessity.  An objective review of the entire FD and list wouldn't hurt at all regardless, especially post 666!

Is he capable of inspiring the team, and is the team starting to get tired of the same simplistic robotic messages?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Is he capable of inspiring the team, and is the team starting to get tired of the same simplistic robotic messages?

C'mon @DeeZee, there is media speak, and there is how he talks to the players in the organisation on a daily basis. There is no way it's one and the same.

Further to that - every single coach has their own version of a methodology  - hence it will be the same message, expressed in a range of different ways.

How Goodwin presents to the media forum, is clearly not how it is amongst the players. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

C'mon @DeeZee, there is media speak, and there is how he talks to the players in the organisation on a daily basis. There is no way it's one and the same.

Further to that - every single coach has their own version of a methodology  - hence it will be the same message, expressed in a range of different ways.

How Goodwin presents to the media forum, is clearly not how it is amongst the players. 

What proof do you have of that?

• Like 1

I would target Adam Yze. I would also get Rob Jackson to take over the fitness side of things. The umpires never break down!

31 minutes ago, old dee said:

What proof do you have of that?

None, just a simple hunch mate...

5 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I would bloody well hope so.

Goodwin has never struck me as the type of inspirational coach who can pluck clever words out of thin air to "Gee" his team up. My opinion is based on nothing more than what I have seen during his many media interviews. Boring, monotone, cliche-laden and repetitive is how he comes across in the media. I feel less informed every time I watch one of his interviews.

Out of range of the media microphones, i hope he is a very different beast.  

One goal after quarter time.  Two goalless quarters. (not counting that last goal as its worthless)

Five goalless quarters in 6 games.

Season on the line at 3 quarter time and folded like  deck of cards.

Bye bye Simon, and take the rest of your useless coaching staff with you.  

It's disgusting Petraccattack. No other way to describe.

The entire football club needs to held to account. Need to undertake an independent review of the entire club.

Gone back 6 years in the space of 6 months.

• Like 1

I don't think 1 bad year sinks Goody.

Sorry kids.... But it's a good test of how much of a basket case we actually are.

Recent history has seen 

Tigs, Pies, Saints, Pooort and even the Bloos all hold and improve after poor displays.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Norf

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

I don't think 1 bad year sinks Goody.

Sorry kids.... But it's a good test of how much of a basket case we actually are.

Recent history has seen 

Tigs, Pies, Saints, Pooort and even the Bloos all hold and improve after poor displays.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Norf

Thats right,  'UH'......   '666'  helps all of them...  all the quick running sides > cats.

But Port are a front running outside type team.

Modern tigers built for the mobile running style, these  days.

Saints becoming a pressure, and attacking running team.

We've built up our contested area, apart from recent form...

We have placed a few Key position spine areas,  which isn't showing itself right now.

We have about half of our midfield sorted,  lacking the Bartlel type, and a Nigel Lappin type.

time to start recruiting the pieces...  cause 2019 is cooked, and 2020 beckons.

PS:   we have to look for our own Bartlel's and  Lappin's fromn the draft... no one is going to give us them.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, Engorged Onion said:

More people should learn about Phil Jackson's coaching philosophy. He knew how to play the media, kept his cards close to his chest, and could stare you down from 1000 miles. Never said much, would occasionally show emotion, but he was called "The Zen" for a reason. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, praha said:

More people should learn about Phil Jackson's coaching philosophy. He knew how to play the media, kept his cards close to his chest, and could stare you down from 1000 miles. Never said much, would occasionally show emotion, but he was called "The Zen" for a reason. 

I presume you are in agreeance @praha...