Jump to content

Demonland

Goodwin signs on until end of 2022

Recommended Posts

I think you are are all asking far too much, when you combine unfulfilled early expectations that now have fallen by the wayside, with this team which is bloody young. We didn't start off like a lot of other scabby teams that sucked the AFL into giving them prime picks along with getting doubtful character older players who would go anywhere for a new start. I dare anyone to say we did. We virtually started again from "nihil" scratch. So if its not working at the moment tough pooperackers........ 

Because of our outspoken overwhelming opinions on young guns (and i use the opinion loosely, which the media rabble pick up and use against us, under the guise of a team of young champs, which they are not) we always seem to have a fall, as per pride etc etc....

Settle in for the ride now, or don't stick it out at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Settle in for the ride now, or don't stick it out at all.

Yep.

How many successful coaches over the years have had some rough periods?  Clarkson, Bomber Thompson, Malthouse, Sheedy etc have all gone through tough patches that many thought they wouldn't survive.  Sometimes those periods came well into their coaching career as well.

Goody is still 'young' and the club knows what he is capable of.  This is his first, true test of how he can respond to a major challenge, and while it may take a little time, I think he needs the backing of the supporters to help him see it through.  He got a three year deal because he is the first coach in almost two decades to get us to a Prelim, and his ability to bond with the players and unite the team is to applauded.

Supporters can be too reactionary at times, which is why we are that - supporters.  I guess that's part of the role.  But the club will back him entirely to turn things around, and we should try to do the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Yep.

How many successful coaches over the years have had some rough periods?  Clarkson, Bomber Thompson, Malthouse, Sheedy etc have all gone through tough patches that many thought they wouldn't survive.  Sometimes those periods came well into their coaching career as well.

Goody is still 'young' and the club knows what he is capable of.  This is his first, true test of how he can respond to a major challenge, and while it may take a little time, I think he needs the backing of the supporters to help him see it through.  He got a three year deal because he is the first coach in almost two decades to get us to a Prelim, and his ability to bond with the players and unite the team is to applauded.

Supporters can be too reactionary at times, which is why we are that - supporters.  I guess that's part of the role.  But the club will back him entirely to turn things around, and we should try to do the same.

Agree with one caveat- compete review of the assistant coaches at end of season- Goody needs better help than he is getting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sargent Shultz said:

Agree with one caveat- compete review of the assistant coaches at end of season- Goody needs better help than he is getting

I agree with that.  I do think we need a bit of a change outside of Goody.  

While I don't like to pot anyone who works for the club, I do think Misson moving on is a good thing.  He is highly regarded and we don't really know what goes on, but we do see plenty of injuries to players each year, so I think a fresh change there will be a positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I agree with that.  I do think we need a bit of a change outside of Goody.  

While I don't like to pot anyone who works for the club, I do think Misson moving on is a good thing.  He is highly regarded and we don't really know what goes on, but we do see plenty of injuries to players each year, so I think a fresh change there will be a positive.

You do realise the assistant coaches have all been appointed or re-appointed under Goodwin.

Would you agree that perhaps someone else needs to look at who should be appointed.

Goodwin has shown himself to be resistant to change. He needs to rethink his approach if we are to improve as a football club.

The real question is whether or not the second half of last year was a coaching aberration because the rest of his term has not been exactly star studded.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Diamond_Jim said:

You do realise the assistant coaches have all been appointed or re-appointed under Goodwin.

Would you agree that perhaps someone else needs to look at who should be appointed.

Goodwin has shown himself to be resistant to change. He needs to rethink his approach if we are to improve as a football club.

The real question is whether or not the second half of last year was a coaching aberration because the rest of his term has not been exactly star studded.

Of course I realise that.  What difference does it make?  He had every right to do it, seeing as though we made a Prelim.  At that point there was no need to make a change.

BUT... obviously what we have mapped out and planned hasn't exactly gone the way they would have expected, and therefore he can begin to think about a few of those aspects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beelzebub said:

If that's the case...or...no change in fortunes, then we have learnt absolutely nothing and the legacy of Jackson and Roos will have been totally flushed down the toilet.

 

It is not something we are unfamiliar with bb. Situation normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No point in staking Goodwin at this stage. He needs some fresh blood around him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, At the break of Gawn said:

Crazy idea, but why doesn’t Melbourne employ Roos again on some part time consultation basis? I saw better performances in most of 2016 than I have seen all this year. 

It's not that crazy BoG.  If we lose against the Tiges i would say it's a necessity.  An objective review of the entire FD and list wouldn't hurt at all regardless, especially post 666!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he capable of inspiring the team, and is the team starting to get tired of the same simplistic robotic messages?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Is he capable of inspiring the team, and is the team starting to get tired of the same simplistic robotic messages?

C'mon @DeeZee, there is media speak, and there is how he talks to the players in the organisation on a daily basis. There is no way it's one and the same.

Further to that - every single coach has their own version of a methodology  - hence it will be the same message, expressed in a range of different ways.

How Goodwin presents to the media forum, is clearly not how it is amongst the players. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

C'mon @DeeZee, there is media speak, and there is how he talks to the players in the organisation on a daily basis. There is no way it's one and the same.

Further to that - every single coach has their own version of a methodology  - hence it will be the same message, expressed in a range of different ways.

How Goodwin presents to the media forum, is clearly not how it is amongst the players. 

What proof do you have of that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would target Adam Yze. I would also get Rob Jackson to take over the fitness side of things. The umpires never break down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, old dee said:

What proof do you have of that?

None, just a simple hunch mate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
 
 
5 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

C'mon @DeeZee, there is media speak, and there is how he talks to the players in the organisation on a daily basis. There is no way it's one and the same.

Further to that - every single coach has their own version of a methodology  - hence it will be the same message, expressed in a range of different ways.

How Goodwin presents to the media forum, is clearly not how it is amongst the players. 

I would bloody well hope so.

Goodwin has never struck me as the type of inspirational coach who can pluck clever words out of thin air to "Gee" his team up. My opinion is based on nothing more than what I have seen during his many media interviews. Boring, monotone, cliche-laden and repetitive is how he comes across in the media. I feel less informed every time I watch one of his interviews.

Out of range of the media microphones, i hope he is a very different beast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One goal after quarter time.  Two goalless quarters. (not counting that last goal as its worthless)

Five goalless quarters in 6 games.

Season on the line at 3 quarter time and folded like  deck of cards.

 

Bye bye Simon, and take the rest of your useless coaching staff with you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's disgusting Petraccattack. No other way to describe.

The entire football club needs to held to account. Need to undertake an independent review of the entire club.

Gone back 6 years in the space of 6 months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think 1 bad year sinks Goody.

Sorry kids.... But it's a good test of how much of a basket case we actually are.

Recent history has seen 

Tigs, Pies, Saints, Pooort and even the Bloos all hold and improve after poor displays.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Norf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

I don't think 1 bad year sinks Goody.

Sorry kids.... But it's a good test of how much of a basket case we actually are.

Recent history has seen 

Tigs, Pies, Saints, Pooort and even the Bloos all hold and improve after poor displays.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Norf

Thats right,  'UH'......   '666'  helps all of them...  all the quick running sides > cats.

But Port are a front running outside type team.

Modern tigers built for the mobile running style, these  days.

Saints becoming a pressure, and attacking running team.

........................................

 

We've built up our contested area, apart from recent form...

We have placed a few Key position spine areas,  which isn't showing itself right now.

We have about half of our midfield sorted,  lacking the Bartlel type, and a Nigel Lappin type.

.

time to start recruiting the pieces...  cause 2019 is cooked, and 2020 beckons.

PS:   we have to look for our own Bartlel's and  Lappin's fromn the draft... no one is going to give us them.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, Engorged Onion said:

C'mon @DeeZee, there is media speak, and there is how he talks to the players in the organisation on a daily basis. There is no way it's one and the same.

Further to that - every single coach has their own version of a methodology  - hence it will be the same message, expressed in a range of different ways.

How Goodwin presents to the media forum, is clearly not how it is amongst the players. 

More people should learn about Phil Jackson's coaching philosophy. He knew how to play the media, kept his cards close to his chest, and could stare you down from 1000 miles. Never said much, would occasionally show emotion, but he was called "The Zen" for a reason. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, praha said:

More people should learn about Phil Jackson's coaching philosophy. He knew how to play the media, kept his cards close to his chest, and could stare you down from 1000 miles. Never said much, would occasionally show emotion, but he was called "The Zen" for a reason. 

I presume you are in agreeance @praha... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THAT’S FOOTBALL by Whispering Jack

    As the season rolls on towards the finals and the football world witnesses the aftermath of the sacking of the league’s unsuccessful coaches, it’s almost  inevitable that the spotlight will turn firmly upon the complete and utter failure of season 2019 - the Melbourne Football Club.  For a team that finished in fourth place last year and was heavily touted as a premiership contender, the fall from grace has been dramatic. As things stand, the Demons look certain to finish 13 places down on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE MOMENT OF TRUTH IS COMING by KC from Casey

    At half time in Sunday’s game at Trevor Barker Beach Oval, things weren’t looking too flash for the flailing finals prospects of the Casey Demons. Key forward Sam Weideman had suffered a concussion in his first contest and, with a few exceptions, the team was playing like a rabble rather than a finals contender. The Demons were 23 points in arrears to the Zebras and their season was headed towards oblivion. It was the skipper Mitch White who spurred his team on by word and by deed - he fini

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    RIPPING THE HEART OUT by George on the Outer

    And BOG for St. Kilda in last night’s game at Marvel Stadium? It was Melbourne!  This brilliant contributor managed to be the initiator of 13.7 in turnovers for the side, and resulted in a come from behind victory for the mighty Saints. That’s it folks, Melbourne have set a new record for the most turnovers resulting in opposition scores. Despite leading half way through the final quarter (yet again) the Demons managed to right themselves and deliver the ball directly to the opposition

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    AINT THAT A CRYING SHAME by The Oracle

    It’s a crying shame that we happen to be playing against the resurgent St Kilda just as they have managed to overcome a rotten patch of form with an upsurge in momentum resulting from the sacking of its coach and the appointment of a new one.    The Saints had a purple patch at the start of the season winning four of their first five games (including the one against the sloppy and sluggish Demons in Round 5) before collapsing into the sink hole that led to them parting ways with coach Alan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...