Changes v Geelong - Elimination Final

Whispering_Jack

Viney in. VFL games to determine if Hannan and/or Joel Smith is the right replacement for the other injury +/- JKH.

Very keen for Joel Smith to come back in and give us more speed and defensive strength down back. We lose a bit of skill but I think we can cover that. If Lewis, Salem, Hibberd and Jetta aren't too tied down they can use the ball. Fritsch then slides back up to a wing, he's been very good at half back but I think he can be even more damaging on a wing.

Hannan, hmmm, often battling a knee, often good first up. I'd like him in as he's something a little different but he'd have to be fully fit.

By the way, noticed today with the jumper presentations on field that Spargo's wasn't signed. I get a sneaky feeling that JKH was actually in for Spargo if it wasn't for Hannan's injury but they knew by Thursday both were going to play. After today though I think Spargo is back ahead of JKH.

FB: Hibberd  Oscar  Nev
HB: Lewis  Frost  Salem
C; Fritsch   Oliver   Vanders
HF: ANB   T Mc   Melk
FF: Petracca  Weed   Spargo
Foll:  Gawn  Harmes  Brayshaw
Int: J. Smith,  Hannan, Jones (wing), Viney (guts)

• Like 1

Jetta. Omcd.  Hibberd

salem. Frost. Lewis

Harmes. Viney. Brayshaw

Petracca. Weideman.  Melksham 

Spargo.  Tom mcd.  Hannan

Gawn.  Jones. Oliver. 

Fritsch. Anb. Vandenburg jkh

emerg. Garlett.  Bugg.  Hunt. 

In. Viney. Hannan

outs Tyson & Kent injured.... footy is a cruel game

missing. Best 22 Lever Hogan Vince Tyson AND Stretch Kent

Spargo did smart things quickly under pressure, for finals I say in. The week off will do him a power of good.

Also, he is the inheritor of Ian Ridley.

Ridley - 166cm, 68kg, 66 games, 5 premierships.

Add a centimeter and a kilo for each decade, which is about right on biological averages, and you get Spargo, aiming for his first premiership in game 19.

Ha! Must keep him. Adds to the EPIC equation.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KingDingAling said:

I would drop Spargo. He isn't up to AFL level at present. Was disgraceful last week and made some silly errors again today. He simply shouldn't be playing at present, but we are winning even with him. 

Bizarre.

• Like 8
  • Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

I would drop Spargo. He isn't up to AFL level at present. Was disgraceful last week and made some silly errors again today. He simply shouldn't be playing at present, but we are winning even with him. 

Thanks Neeldy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brendan said:

Players should put this up on the walls this week, absolute [censored] of a human 

EB5FFAFE-9FD7-4EF7-923B-8B0F526C1321.jpeg

? ? - is that the [censored] word?

54 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Humility and Hawkins are not even close. 

Frost should get the matchup this time. 

Thought for a moment that autocorrect had taken over ... humanity not humility, but maybe both?

8 minutes ago, deefella said:

How about Garlett, this bloke loves big games, yeah his last wasn’t his best but he could be handy

?can’t  afford to play anyone in a final who chooses when and if to chase and tackle. 

• Like 2

If the casualty ward doesn’t create enough spots for the players we want in, I reckon Spargo goes out before JKH. 

Goodwin indicated Tyson was in for surgery on the fractured arm tonight and it was a 2-3 week injury, so he’s definitely out. Viney should be an adequate replacement you’d think ?

He also said Kent wasn’t as bad as they first thought, but you’d think he’s no chance with that shoulder. Hannan should be ready by the sounds of it, so it’s an obvious like for like and Hannan was good last week. 

Hunt and Smith are great to have up our sleeve and you’d think if we get beyond the first week, we’ll need to call on one at some point. Not against Geelong though.

Out: Tyson, Kent

In: Viney, Hannan 

• Like 6

Much will depend on what what happens with injuries - hard to know for sure whether Viney, Hannan, Tyson and Kent will be fit, and how Joel Smith and Hunt will come back from injury.

Ideally, Viney and Hannan come into the team. Viney is an obvious in, and Hannan is probably in my best 22, so I'd definitely select both if fit. @DeeSpencer, I wouldn't play Hannan in the VFL this week. He played last week and was in good touch after a long lay-off, so he's shown he can come slot straight in. Better to give his knee a rest, I reckon.

I'd prefer to see Fritsch play further up the ground, so I'd consider bringing Joel Smith in if he has a good VFL final. I reckon Hunt's a fair way off playing AFL right now though, but you never know what could happen if we win a couple of games but pick up some injuries.

I don't think Spargo is up to it at the moment, and I had basically written off JKH - but think he had his best game vs GWS and depending on who else was fit, I would probably select him before Spargo. @Nasher, I reckon you 're right re: JKH. How about if Kent is fit - where does he rank versus JKH and Spargo?

@deefella, Garlett has some traits that I'd love in the team. However, he's been pretty poor this season and after we dropped him in the lead-up to the WCE game I reckon that might have been just about it, unless he has a stellar VFL finals series.

Edited by Rogue
  • Like 2

If Kent and Tyson both miss then Viney and Hannan replace them, and that actually holds up quite well.

The difficulty comes if either or both of Kent/Tyson are fit to play. I think Tyson was doing well enough today, and in the last few weeks, to hold his spot even when Viney returns, but that starts to affect team balance a bit. Do we drop JKH, who plays up the ground, to keep Tyson and bring Viney?

If Kent is fit do we give him another crack and risk him struggling with injury? 

3 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

If Kent and Tyson both miss then Viney and Hannan replace them, and that actually holds up quite well.

The difficulty comes if either or both of Kent/Tyson are fit to play. I think Tyson was doing well enough today, and in the last few weeks, to hold his spot even when Viney returns, but that starts to affect team balance a bit. Do we drop JKH, who plays up the ground, to keep Tyson and bring Viney?

If Kent is fit do we give him another crack and risk him struggling with injury? 

Tyson is likely 3 weeks minimum. Hard to get back even with a plate in your wrist in 2 weeks.

Kent is a decent AC joint. Can play in 2 weeks if everything goes well but I doubt it. Tackling and marking is vital to how he plays. You don't want to do that with a sore shoulder.

Players should put this up on the walls this week, absolute [censored] of a human 

Actually, I understand him to be a fantastic bloke. Team orientated, humble, generous and lively.

I just hope he has a shocker against us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Friggen arrogant toss bag of a Jabba the hutt 

Gees hope ur chooks turn to Roosters and kick ur dunny door down!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

Spargo OUT Jeffy IN 

Can't stuff around Spargo aint up to it … Yet

Play Jeffy and back him in .. Class act finisher and will produce!

He hasn't produced all season in VFL or AFL,. why would he suddenly produce in a final?

• Like 5