Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Drinking session

olisik

23 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

I hope you adhere to all your workplace policies.

Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett senior are the two greatest players I have seen in my lifetime. Both drank heavily and took recreational drugs.

I don't condone everything they have done but a few drinks shouldn't kill the career of the Melbourne boys as long as their wholesale approach is professional. 

How many premierships did Gary Ablett play in again? Both highly dubious individuals who have been investigated for abusing women. Wonderful men both!

9 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

In hindsight perhaps one or two of them could have helped change the result on Friday night, although I doubt it coz they have previously been lambasted on this forum for not being up to it

Move on, nothing to see

Nothing to see, just the the selfish act of  a few players leaving us a further 4 men down when we were already depleted by injury and needing to totally change the team structure for the Swans game with Hunt having to move forward as we had no other options therefore robbing us of a weapon off half back and no true small forward.

• Like 4

The problem I have with it is that none of them seemed to want to be picked in the seniors, or had the belief in themselves that they might get picked. Knowing we have a rule which prevents drinking on a 6-day break, they shouldn't have needed to know there were injuries to the seniors before making a decision on whether or not to go drinking that night.

They chose to go out and drink either disregarding the rule and hoping they wouldn't be caught (bad) or making a decision that they didn't think they could be picked without injuries, or they didn't want to be picked. A lack of drive, a lack of professionalism, and ultimately just disappointing.

FWIW, I have no problem with players having a drink or a dart or whatever they want to do in their own time provided the club has limits on how it affects the performance of the side. The club's put in place a rule which forbids drinking on a six-day break. Sounds eminently reasonable to me, and clearly we are comfortable with drinking on longer breaks as today's winery function shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

Nothing to see, just the the selfish act of  a few players leaving us a further 4 men down when we were already depleted by injury and needing to totally change the team structure for the Swans game with Hunt having to move forward as we had no other options therefore robbing us of a weapon off half back and no true small forward.

Now don't get all emotional about it, good grief, they made themselves ineligible,  the game has come and gone, the Club has moved on, we have a new game to have suicidal game day thread about

Yeah right Jon Ralph, somebody on the Match Day staff interstate is going to make a point to ring 4 guys to keep them sppraised of an unknow injury situation, how did they know they were out drinking?  Oh dear

10 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Yeah right Jon Ralph, somebody on the Match Day staff interstate is going to make a point to ring 4 guys to keep them sppraised of an unknow injury situation, how did they know they were out drinking?  Oh dear

Must admit I thought that one a little bit strange when I read it...

It's Chappy here, Jeffies down so get off the P155 Deano, you're in next week.

Edited by rjay

Certainly not very professional.

Alcohol does have a significant effect on bruising and recovery and is treated carefully by all sports and particularly contact sports.

Alcohol also effects judgement and it looks like it could have had an impact in this situation. 

These guys are the fringe players who should be keeping themselves totally focused on training and playing and should certainly be aware of club rules etc

Yep they're 20 years old so can't expect mature decision making.

17 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Now don't get all emotional about it, good grief, they made themselves ineligible,  the game has come and gone, the Club has moved on, we have a new game to have suicidal game day thread about

I reckon they might have watched the game (like the rest of us), before making themselves ineligible.

Or is it too much to ask the poor babies?

No ones "suicidal", you're just being a [censored].

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

How many premierships did Gary Ablett play in again? Both highly dubious individuals who have been investigated for abusing women. Wonderful men both!

How many premierships did Carey play in?

I was just pointing out the obvious that the greatest 2 players I have seen loved a beer.

Tom Scully is a tea tottler perhaps you can follow him and barrack for GWS considering he is such a good bloke.

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

It really isn't that inconceivable.

There's probably a hundred people involved with the club on match day. A group of players going out isn't going to stay secret. Injuries to key players aren't going to stay secret, especially after being broadcast on television.

When you're employed in a workplace, employees message one another when there's relevant news about co-workers, such as sick days. Doubly so in a football club where an injured player might open the door to you finding a spot in the team.

Whether told by club officials, other players, friends or family, these players were seemingly aware of the injuries yet chose to stay out on the turps. That shows not only a lack of discipline as professional athletes but a total lack of investment in everything the club is striving to become. How anyone can defend such selfish actions is beyond me.

Edited by SaberFang
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

In his own mind, he already is. 

This time last year people on here did too. Hannan has gone past him which is  more to do with hannan being great overhead and having good pacr rather than any fault of kents ( i dont think he has regressed) but people throw him to the scrap heap. 

2 hours ago, DemonWA said:

Hows the holier than thou attiude in here????

Kent in this week. People have short memories. The kid will be a gun. 

He cant kick a set shot goal, get his own pill ,centre the ball or chase.He provides the opposition with 2-3 goals a match.

Has a long way to go before establishing himself as a player.

Worst hair/tatts combo in the afl.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Unknown?

It was pretty obvious that both Salem and Jeffy were carrying injury from watching the game.

I'm getting sick of your holier than thou attitude. Not everyone on Demonland has the same opinion, yet you lump everyone together and make it you vs everyone. Not everyone thinks the 4 players are all duds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

How many premierships did Carey play in?

I was just pointing out the obvious that the greatest 2 players I have seen loved a beer.

Tom Scully is a tea tottler perhaps you can follow him and barrack for GWS considering he is such a good bloke.

What's your logic here? Back in the 70s and 80s players could be seen downing a can of coke and having a dart after a match. In the 90s it wasn't much different and in fact the football community celebrated "having a beer with mates". It was part and parcel of the culture. These days with all we know about conditioning and fitness it is downright irresponsible to be having a drinking session less than a week before a match.

And GWS is first on the ladder. Seriously, the logic you're trying to apply here is bizarre. 

9 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

So, your point?

Your miffed because they didn't call/msg you too ? :rolleyes:

Saty , id be very surprised/ disappointed if theclub wasn't this proactive. Tis 21c after all.

More the point. Whether 6 7 or 8 days, this is elite sports , in season. If we have nuff nuffs who aren't switched on off field,  do we want their acumen ....on field ? I don't.

None of these guys are best 22, all are highly expendable. I would revoke JKH's contract extension immediately, and give all four the next 8 weeks, to show that they deserve a spot on the list for next year.

I would be happy to see the back of all four to be honest, and find some players who want to be here and who want to put in the hard yards.

Good on the club for acting against them, but we clearly have serious issues with both on and off field discipline at present.

1 hour ago, poita said:

None of these guys are best 22, all are highly expendable. I would revoke JKH's contract extension immediately, and give all four the next 8 weeks, to show that they deserve a spot on the list for next year.

I would be happy to see the back of all four to be honest, and find some players who want to be here and who want to put in the hard yards.

Good on the club for acting against them, but we clearly have serious issues with both on and off field discipline at present.

It seems so. 

The media point to 'discipline issues' like:

• a player charged for being over the legal drinking limit, 
  • 5 players suspended for striking this year,
  • a suspended player smoking at a festival,
  • playful twitter banter,  
  • 4 players suspended for not following club rules re drinking. 

Some of those are trivial and some are very serious.   But for years 'Melbourne bashing' has been a favourite football media pastime.  We have no credits in the media bank. So, we can't afford any 'boys will be boys' stuff ups, no matter how small. 

What distresses me is that while our whole club has worked so damn hard to get this club back on the rails and earn back respect, lack of discipline is bringing that hard work undone.   

Bad PR is bad for the club, bad for memberships and bad in our quest for more sponsors. 

I applaud the club for enforcing rules with suspensions and equally for supporting players when their 'misdemeanor' has been overplayed in the media.  Nonetheless, the brain fades on and off the field need to stop!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

And this is why we WON'T win a flag yet. Not everyone's on the same page yet. Getting there...but :unsure:

4 hours ago, DemonWA said:

This time last year people on here did too. Hannan has gone past him which is  more to do with hannan being great overhead and having good pacr rather than any fault of kents ( i dont think he has regressed) but people throw him to the scrap heap. 

He clearly is talent, application, consistent application is his key. 

1 hour ago, poita said:

That's  going a step too far. The club imposed an in club suspension, no doubt accompanied by some serious talking to by the  Coach, Mahoney and the team leaders. I have no reason to second guess that.

I see this incident as most on here do, - as a serious and very puzzling breach of discipline and club rules. I do wonder whether Kent, Kennedy and Spencer may already have decided they won't be at the club next year so not much to lose. Although you would imagine that there are monetary penalties of some sort associated with an internal suspension. 

8 minutes ago, xarronn said:

That's  going a step too far. The club imposed an in club suspension, no doubt accompanied by some serious talking to by the  Coach, Mahoney and the team leaders. I have no reason to second guess that.

Whilst certainly heavy handed , I too suggested something similar some ways back in this thread. I.e tear it up a with a proviso to 'revisit ' in a month.  That is to say  Lad you well and truly f'd that up didnt YOU....not us...YOU !!

Now you have big choices to make and much amends if we're to go forward in sync.  And quite frankly...why not ??

8 minutes ago, xarronn said:

I see this incident as most on here do, - as a serious and very puzzling breach of discipline and club rules. I do wonder whether Kent, Kennedy and Spencer may already have decided they won't be at the club next year so not much to lose. Although you would imagine that there are monetary penalties of some sort associated with an internal suspension. 

I actually wonder if there might not be something to that. You're either ON...or you're OFF   .Theyre not really indicating to anyone that they are 100% Melbourne

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, xarronn said:

I do wonder whether Kent, Kennedy and Spencer may already have decided they won't be at the club next year so not much to lose.

Kent will probably get some interest from WA, Kennedy would be very lucky to get some interest from SA (most likely SANFL) and if we don't sign Spencer for another year as backup then his AFL career will be over.

They've all got something to play for.

• Like 2