Changes v Richmond R5

Out 

Weid not ready yet - basically just took up space 

Malksham - not good enough -10 disposals 7 turnovers says it all 

In 

Hogan 

Pederson or Smith as we need another forward target - yesterday ( Watts excepted ) we had none. We were never going to kick enough goals with that forward line - 

perhaps bring back Oscar and move Frost forward ! 

By the way Hannan stays - liked him yesterday 

Edited by Micksdemons
Addition

We didn't lose due to last week's selections.  Frost was as good as Oscar and Bugg was OK.

We were up at half-time and showed in the last that if we didn't fall asleep in the third we win. 

Supporters grasp at straws for reasons we lost and are invariably wrong.  

• Like 10

Hogan is the obvious for Weideman. Hannan needs to go. Had an ok first Qtr but barely did anything for the last 3. Had 0 tackles which is not good enough. If Brayshaw and Kennedy have good games then i think it has to be out of either of them.

Id bite the bullet and bring Hibberd back in straight away. We are just lacking serious composure down back. Bring him in for Melksham.

7 minutes ago, ProDee said:

We didn't lose due to last week's selections.  Frost was as good as Oscar and Bugg was OK.

We were up at half-time and showed in the last that if we didn't fall asleep in the third we win. 

Supporters grasp at straws for reasons we lost and are invariably wrong.  

A major reason we lost was the lack of a marking target up forward. They successfully flooded our forward 50 so we found it extremely difficult to hit up a leading target, especially considering our transition from defense was slow and they ran hard both ways. This led to us either bombing long to the top of the square where we had no marking targets or handballing/chip kicking backwards to wing/half back until someone did a hurried long kick forward for a shallow I50 entry again with no big marking targets.

They played the game on their terms to perfection bottling us up and forcing us to bomb inside 50 then backing themselves in to win the ground ball and push forward in waves so they had players running free towards goal. Had we had a Hogan or Gawn (Spencer did ok when he was up there) we would've been able to take greater advantage of our forward 50 entries. Weideman was completely ineffectual and dropping Smith left us too short up there especially when Watts went into the ruck.

• Like 3

There was very little 'team first' acts yesterday from the majority of the group so I think this will be the focus at the club in the lead up to next weeks game. 

The 3rd quarter was terrible and should be treated in isolation. Both teams butchered the footy due to pressure and that's just something we'll need to deal with as the group evolves and becomes more composed.

Hogan for Weideman is the obvious change. The others are more difficult but Melksham had a bad day and might be in the gun - Hibberd is the logical replacement but we'll need to see how the Casey team pulls up.

Hannan has been okay but doesn't seem to get involved enough. His leap is great but his timing needs some work so I'm thinking a week or two back at Casey would be good for his development. There's a few options to go with here but Trengove, if he plays well today, could put himself in contention. Tim Smith is another if we want some added grunt in attack or JKH if we go with a mosquito fleet.

5 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

From what I saw of the game Frost looked far better than O. McDonald.

Yeah I like Frost also. I'd like to see him have a good run at it for a few weeks. Hibberd when he's ready will also be a positive addition. Oscar may well spend a bit of time at Casey along with Weid. They are developing players so I don't see this as a negative.

I hope Pedo does well at Casey and gets a chance. I like the idea of a bit more grunt up forward which may give Watts a bit more freedom.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mud Dogs Gonna Win said:

Out

Weikaspissernam Melksham Tyson Hannan

IN

Hogan Pedersen JKH/Kennedy Hibberd

IMO a lot of people are fooled by Tyson irrelevant touches.. he is a slow accumulator who's foot skill are ordinary and too slow to actually use it..

I disagree on Tyson.  He's often the only midfielder who runs to a position to link out of the backline.  The midfield / high forward is currently too disfunctional to move the ball quickly into attack.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, No10 said:

I disagree on Tyson.  He's often the only midfielder who runs to a position to link out of the backline.  The midfield / high forward is currently too disfunctional to move the ball quickly into attack.

He gets to spots.. but his kicks are at best 50/50 to hit targets.. he put one out on the full yeaterday with no pressure 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Big chance for some players at Casey this weekend - Brayshaw, Pedersen and Kennedy to name a few.  Their performance will go along way to deciding the changes for next weekend.

You would think Weideman has used up his chances for the time being and will be straight out for Hogan.  Will Hibberd be right to go after one week at Casey?  Most of us would hope so but we know what happens when you take in a player who is underdone.  Hannan is another who might be on the chopping block and if one of Kennedy or JKH can impress then they may get a run as well.

Interesting I would perservere with Hannan at the expense of Harmes!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

From what I saw of the game Frost looked far better than O. McDonald.

Frost is a fast and tall defender.  It shouldn't be Frost OR OMac, it should be Frost AND OMac.

Not Melksham who doesn't lockdown like Jetta, doesn't attack like Hunt, doesn't kick like Salem, doesn't have the height like Frost.

• Like 3

I'm really annoyed with the team selections I think they have been a factor in both our loses. 

Weid has to go! Injured or not he's been horrible since round one, he must be getting a game purely based on structure? Go back watch the game vs the saints he has 3,4 fumbles in the first qrt where he should have taken the ball cleanly and given it off. Round 2 he kicks into the man in the mark when we had a player loose inside forward 50. Zero tackles yesterday. I know these are just a few small incidents and other players haven't been setting the world on fire but for me he is the number one passenger. I don't want to see him for atleast 5-6 games.

IN: hogan , pederson/vanders, Brayshaw 

Out: weid, hannan, melksham

7 minutes ago, Mud Dogs Gonna Win said:

He gets to spots.. but his kicks are at best 50/50 to hit targets.. he put one out on the full yeaterday with no pressure 

He has the Garland stammer from defensive positions.  But unlike Garland, I see him not having options.

His field kicks aren't aggressive enough.  He was always more value in tight or closer to goal.

I agree Tyson isn't playing his best football, but neither is half the team.   Tyson is capable of more, so he should get time after the interrupted pre-season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

A major reason we lost was the lack of a marking target up forward. They successfully flooded our forward 50 so we found it extremely difficult to hit up a leading target, especially considering our transition from defense was slow and they ran hard both ways. This led to us either bombing long to the top of the square where we had no marking targets or handballing/chip kicking backwards to wing/half back until someone did a hurried long kick forward for a shallow I50 entry again with no big marking targets.

They played the game on their terms to perfection bottling us up and forcing us to bomb inside 50 then backing themselves in to win the ground ball and push forward in waves so they had players running free towards goal. Had we had a Hogan or Gawn (Spencer did ok when he was up there) we would've been able to take greater advantage of our forward 50 entries. Weideman was completely ineffectual and dropping Smith left us too short up there especially when Watts went into the ruck.

The kick into the F50 is one of the most important in footy and one of the main reasons we lost the game.  Having Hogan would have been great, but we should have won without him. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DaveyJones'sLocker said:

I'm really annoyed with the team selections I think they have been a factor in both our loses. 

Weid has to go! Injured or not he's been horrible since round one, he must be getting a game purely based on structure? Go back watch the game vs the saints he has 3,4 fumbles in the first qrt where he should have taken the ball cleanly and given it off. Round 2 he kicks into the man in the mark when we had a player loose inside forward 50. Zero tackles yesterday. I know these are just a few small incidents and other players haven't been setting the world on fire but for me he is the number one passenger. I don't want to see him for atleast 5-6 games.

IN: hogan , pederson/vanders, Brayshaw 

Out: weid, hannan, melksham

I agree that Weid is a man down.  Can't play him in the high intensity of Anzac eve.

But if you drop Melksham, surely need a solid defence replacement?

5 minutes ago, ProDee said:

The kick into the F50 is one of the most important in footy and one of the main reasons we lost the game.  Having Hogan would have been great, but we should have won without him. 

Watts is our best here.  Can't kick it to himself.

• Like 1

Ideally I'd like to see the following depending on the VFL game tomorrow:

Hogan in for Weideman. I think the Weid will be a solid player long term but he has rarely been able to have any meaningful impact on the game. Granted it seemed he was hampered yesterday, I still think he needs to spend time at Casey to build confidence and really dominate at that level.

Brayshaw in for Hannan. Hannan was great in Round 1 but he has not really impacted much beyond that. A fit Brayshaw gives us another solid midfield option which we needed badly yesterday.

Pedersen in for Bugg. This is only relevant if Pedersen plays well tomorrow. While Pedo is no world beater, I'd prefer him in the ruck to Watts and this would allow Watts to spend the majority of his time forward where he is most dangerous.

Melksham is lucky to hold his spot but I thought his past 2 weeks were solid so will give him a chance.

Team for Round 5:

B: Salem          McDonald         Jetta

HB: Vince         Frost                 Hunt

C:   Stretch       Viney                Jones

HF: Brayshaw    Hogan            Petracca

F:   Garlett          Watts             Kent

R:  Spencer       Tyson             Oliver

Int: ANB      Pedersen      Melksham     Harmes

Edited by Is Dom Is Good

1 minute ago, ProDee said:

I think you need to reprogram yourself if you think teams rely on one player hitting targets inside their forward 50.

Reckon you missed the gist entirely there. 

Wasn't about what should be...but what we are.

7 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Likewise 

:unsure:

5 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Likewise 

11 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I think you need to reprogram yourself if you think teams rely on one player hitting targets inside their forward 50.

Watts is the best at F50 entry.  Not the only.

You said "one of the most important" and "one of the main reasons we lost"

I agree.  But do you expect Harmes, ANB etc to suddenly become elite at one of the most important skills?

Or in absence of Hogan, should we have kept Tim Smith to bust open packs, rather than Watts?