VFL GRAND FINAL - CASEY SCORPIONS v FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS

spirit of norm smith

5 hours ago, daisycutter said:

i think he stays for two reasons

1. he's better than the other similar depth players

2. we can't delist about 10 picks unless we are prepared to pick a whole bunch of players in the 80+ pick range 

Ive been wondering about this myself dc. Our first pick is 27 or thereabouts which seems destined for Hibberd . as you point out we simply have not got the trading capacity for multiple delistings.

• Like 1

Just sooooo disappointed in the game yesterday. Couldn't bring myself to comment until now.

Doggies earned the win for sure, but almost all the Scorps players played below their own potential and below the form they've showed for large parts of this season. Maybe Clarrie was the exception.

The defence, which has been our main springboard for attack, lost its composure  in that 3rd term in particular. And the midfield never got going. Afraid the guys who needed to shine on the big stage couldn't manage it. We didn't get out of Nibbler, Grimes, Newton, BenKen the sort of spark and grit and composure and drive that we've come to see during the season. Perhaps M Jones, Michie and Terlo were a bit closer to their potential, but still quite short of their best.

Ah well. On to next season. Hopefully it's been a learning experience that will benefit the club and give the team more motivation to go that final step.

I started following Casey during the dark days of the Dees, a few years ago, to find some hope among the younger draftees. It's grown on me - the suburban footy feel, the up close experience, the quarter time huddles, and seeing some special young talent develop. And the egg and bacon rolls.  And the beers. I recommend getting along if you're in Melbourne and need to get out of the house on a weekend.

Go Scorps in 2017!

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

How many times have Casey played at Docklands stadium?

Bit unlucky.

Finish on top and play at the other side's home ground, which clearly suits their game style.

Not saying that is the reason we lost though. But it didn't help.

• Like 1

Just now, Redleg said:

Bit unlucky.

Finish on top and play at the other side's home ground, which clearly suits their game style.

Luck had little to do with it IMO Mr Leg.

they just did not have the heart for the job at hand.

Something we have been  used to seeing for most of the last half century.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Bit unlucky.

With a day less break as well (although it was 7 days as opposed to 8 days).

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

Luck had little to do with it IMO Mr Leg.

they just did not have the heart for the job at hand.

Something we have been  used to seeing for most of the last half century.

That sounds like the OLD Old Dee.

Who are you and what have you done with the New Old Dee?

Edited by bjDee

Just now, bjDee said:

That sound like the OLD Old Dee. Who are you and what have you done with the New Old Dee?

Have I said one untrue word there bjDee?

The dogs came with the will to win that GF we did not IMO it is that simple.

Very Similar to the last two senior games.

they finished their season in mid August the last two games we went through the motions with the resulting success.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Redleg said:

Bit unlucky.

Don't think it was you RL but to say Casey have a massive problem with Dicklands stadium is a stretch for mine as I doubt they have played any or many games at the venue. I doubt the doggies VFL side would have played many on it either.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Your not wrong Fifty-5 and I think our recruiting just recently is starting to address this, however it may not be till about 2018 before it starts to bear fruit.

I think in general we're far to one paced, so players such as Hunt, Stretch, Melksham, Lumumba, Garlett (players capable of breaking the lines) are a must.  We also need more mids who have that ability to break away from stoppages.

Again the likes of Petracca & Harmes are players that should be automatic locks to play at Etihad, even if that means resting a Tyson or Brayshaw etc.

Like the Australian Cricket team in Asia, the Melbourne FC need to start to take a horses for courses approach when it comes to Etihad.

The addition of Hibberd will help as well as Salem with their accurate kicking and strong runnning.  I'm also hoping there's a stronger concentration on outside run at this years draft as compared to our inside mids where we're reasonably well placed.

Lets hope the new coach listens to this advice some of the selections last year bordered on the bizzare particularly at Etihard and Alice Springs

• Like 1

The only thing I got out of the game was how good Clarrie is, he has the ability to get through traffic and dish off the ball without wasting it. Despite still being a kid, he showed poise and class well above this level.

Can't wait to see him with a pre season under his belt and fully fit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Don't think it was you RL but to say Casey have a massive problem with Dicklands stadium is a stretch for mine as I doubt they have played any or many games at the venue. I doubt the doggies VFL side would have played many on it either.

It was me who raised it.  Much has been made that MFC and Casey are playing the same game style.  In the VFL GF, Casey had a significant number of MFC players who represent a cross-section of our list and who should be able to perform at that level.  I see a pattern in the St.Kilda games and the VFL GF this year. If that game was at Casey I'm confident we would have won.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

It was me who raised it.  Much has been made that MFC and Casey are playing the same game style.  In the VFL GF, Casey had a significant number of MFC players who represent a cross-section of our list and who should be able to perform at that level.  I see a pattern in the St.Kilda games and the VFL GF this year. If that game was at Casey I'm confident we would have won.

I think you are reading way to much into it 'Fifty'....a lot of the Casey team consists of players who have now been overlooked for varying reasons one being that they don't fit the current MFC AFL game plan. Think Dunn, Garland for starters.

We were beaten on the day by a better team, they smashed us in the ruck and gave their mids first use of the ball. If Oliver wasn't in there it would have been game over at half time.

I think they would have beaten us on any ground the way they played.

On 9/26/2016 at 9:32 PM, bjDee said:

Just sooooo disappointed in the game yesterday. Couldn't bring myself to comment until now.

Doggies earned the win for sure, but almost all the Scorps players played below their own potential and below the form they've showed for large parts of this season. Maybe Clarrie was the exception.

The defence, which has been our main springboard for attack, lost its composure  in that 3rd term in particular. And the midfield never got going. Afraid the guys who needed to shine on the big stage couldn't manage it. We didn't get out of Nibbler, Grimes, Newton, BenKen the sort of spark and grit and composure and drive that we've come to see during the season. Perhaps M Jones, Michie and Terlo were a bit closer to their potential, but still quite short of their best.

Ah well. On to next season. Hopefully it's been a learning experience that will benefit the club and give the team more motivation to go that final step.

I started following Casey during the dark days of the Dees, a few years ago, to find some hope among the younger draftees. It's grown on me - the suburban footy feel, the up close experience, the quarter time huddles, and seeing some special young talent develop. And the egg and bacon rolls.  And the beers. I recommend getting along if you're in Melbourne and need to get out of the house on a weekend.

Go Scorps in 2017!

I think what we saw on the day was their potential or lack thereof in many cases bj. In a GF you get to see where your team is truly at, warts and all, regardless of the standard of the Comp. They are either up to the task or they aren't and that includes their ability to handle the heat of a big match day, above the shoulders. If you then move that heat and intensity up another notch (or maybe not dissimilar in intensity) into say a big match day at AFL level or even a final, then that probably tells you how capable many on the list are, or not, as the case may be.

Too many so called seasoned players went missing and looked super slow with with both decision making and execution in most cases. Many just hit the panic button far too often offf HB and in the few center contests which we won, bombing it to an unmanned doggie sweeper sitting off the press or the loose man across HB.

We didn't have enough run or ability to escape the tackler in enough 50/50 contests which were won and there weren't many of those which were won! The doggies out tackled us and we were the best tackling team all year. That means we were too slow to spread and escape the congestion quickly enough or cleanly enough (skills) vs our opponent and possibly over hand balled due to that inability to escape after getting first use. A similar scenario to the Swans match earlier in the season at AFL level? And lets give the Doggies a big tick, they performed in this area to a much higher standard and consistency on clearance work and spread.

It would also seem Plapp had one game style with no defensive plan B to halt a run on; ie., even a basic one like stack/flood the backline or go man on man from the center down to the backline. Add an extra number at the contest and at least force the dogs into more potential turnovers under increased pressure around the ball for a short time and see whether this changes things.

Our rucks also got slaughtered which didn't help matters. As someone said here earlier Minson took front position in most of the around the ground rucking contests and gained a big advantage for himself and the team as a result.

I though Dunn was stellar in 50/50 contests given the amount of ball coming in. However, he lets himself and the team down far too often with blind bombing to a contest or anywhere in some cases and an inability (or lack of presenting by fellow players on the lead?...maybe combo of both) to hit short targets who can then clear the ball well beyond the paint/danger of 50 odd meters.

I would say the only pass marks or decent players on the day were Weeds (in the first half only...no tank yet), Ben Ken's first half, Clarry for most of the day (although even he bombed a little too often for my liking and also gave a few handballs straight to the opposition) and Dunn in 50/50 contests where he slaughtered his opponent/s. Joel Smith was just ok IMO and a slim pass. Tim Smith presented and competed well along with his 3 goals. Hullett not bad in the first half but his finish really let him and team down. Newton tried hard in the first half and went missing along with most others in the second. For me that was about it and i would only see Joel Smith (not as optimistic as some on here though), Weed and Clarry (obviously) as potential AFL options going forward from that match (Clarry a cert of course). I have seen something in McInerny before the GF game (a glimmer only at this point!) but he is still 2 pre-seasons away (at least) from impacting or being able to show what he's got.

It's fair to say that there's probably only a handfull of players outside of our regular 22 that are serious contenders for a regular seniors berth. We will need to recruit extremely well in the next 2 years to have any show of making finals on a regular basis in the next decade. Having said that, if all goes well injury wise next year we might scrape in but we will need as much luck as this year on that front to do so and some better second halfs from the likes of Bernie and a more consistent output from fringe players like Jeffy, Wagner, Vanders, Pedo and Ben Ken to name a few.

Remembering that we are also likely lose the likes of top up type players like H and Dawes.

Other old regulars (pre 2016) like Matty, Garland, Dunn, Trenners (injury ridden limited opp i realise) and Grimesy have either already gone or unlikely to be in our 22 on anything other than a last resort basis.

We are putting some big bets on many youngsters to continue on the improvement ladder next year to have any show of a finals berth in 2017.

List needs a major injection of speed, skills and clever (experienced) decision makers under pressure to take that next step IMO. We have Malk and possibly Hibb as possible additions here but we won't know what they'll bring till the season's well under way assuming theyre's both in and fully fit.

Edited by Rusty Nails