Trading back into Round One or Top 10?

PaulRB

I was thinking about the Suns high picks and what it would take for us to nab one, and thought maybe we'd trade one or both of the two Qld boys on the list, in Wagner and VandenBerg..?

Both high draft picks who've shown a bit and may warrant some interest... and a low draft pick. Would both players (combined) get us a top 10 Pick?

Who else (with value could we explore trading for the right Round One pick?

ROUND ONE
1 Essendon
2 Brisbane Lions
3 Fremantle
4 Gold Coast
5 Carlton
6 St Kilda
7 Richmond
8 Greater Western Sydney
9 Gold Coast (received Melbourne's first-round pick)
10 Port Adelaide
11 West Coast
12 North Melbourne
13 Western Bulldogs
14 Adelade
15 Sydney Swans
16 Greater Western Sydney
17 Greater Western Sydney (received Geelong's first-round pick, via Carlton)
18 Hawthorn 

The question is - do we need to get back into the first round?  Is it a major priority or requirement?

Weideman is our first rounder this year, and we've been able to get a year under his belt.  Not comfortable trading out some younger talent for a player who hasn't been in the system yet and could be anything.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

I was thinking about the Suns high picks and what it would take for us to nab one, and thought maybe we'd trade one or both of the two Qld boys on the list, in Wagner and VandenBerg..?

Both high draft picks who've shown a bit and may warrant some interest... and a low draft pick. Would both players (combined) get us a top 10 Pick?

ROUND ONE
1 Essendon
2 Brisbane Lions
3 Fremantle
4 Gold Coast
5 Carlton
6 St Kilda
7 Richmond
8 Greater Western Sydney
10 Port Adelaide
11 West Coast
12 North Melbourne
13 Western Bulldogs
14 Adelade
15 Sydney Swans
18 Hawthorn 

....um, both Rookie draft picks and Vanders came from Canberra, originally the South Coast of NSW I think. A fair way from the GC. 

Edited by rjay
  • Like 6

Just now, rjay said:

....um, both Rookie draft picks.

Exactly, and both have proven value beyond those players mentioned as trade bait (Grimes, Dawes, etc...).

What would they be worth to say Gold Coast? As in buy low and sell high(er).

5 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Thats fair enough. Its interesting, if we could get McLuggage (quick skilled outside mid) what would it be worth losing?

Not sure we need any excess baggage in Mc Luggage! ;)

Also, could potentailly be a bit of a traveller!! :P

Ah I have it......The travelling Burger.. The Mc Luggage!! ;)

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Thats fair enough. Its interesting, if we could get McLuggage (quick skilled outside mid) what would it be worth losing?

Not sure to be honest.  McCluggage has been terrific at junior level, but to get that high in the draft and without a first rounder of our own, we would need to sacrifice a quality kid to get there.  I'm talking Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw etc.  I don't think any of us would be too chuffed about that.

The fact we got Weideman and Clayton as two first rounders and gave away this years irrelevant.

Every year we should look to improve our draft position. Whether it's to get back into the first round or second round. It don't matter.

The club will think of ways to package picks and players to improve our position, that should be obvious to anyone.

Why would anyone think the club would be 'happy' with the picks we've got going into this year's draft? We want to improve don't we?

Whether or not other clubs come to play will determine whether or not we improve our draft position. 

• Like 1

With Prestia and Omeara on the move GCS might be willing to deal one of their flobbidygillion draft picks for the right player.

I don't think vanders or wagner is enough to get it done, but i expect them to be very active once the prestia and omeara deals are done.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

ROUND ONE
1 Essendon
2 Brisbane Lions
3 Fremantle
4 Gold Coast
5 Carlton
6 St Kilda
7 Richmond
8 Greater Western Sydney
10 Port Adelaide
11 West Coast
12 North Melbourne
13 Western Bulldogs
14 Adelade
15 Sydney Swans
18 Hawthorn 

Firstly where did Pick 6 to St Kilda come from??? Their first pick is 10.

As for getting back into the first round, i see our best bet of that happening by trading our 2017 1st Round Pick (possibly with Garland or without) for one of Gold Coast or GWS's first rounders this year to allow them to spread their 1st Round picks out over a couple of drafts.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 1

From what i've seen/heard next years draft looks significantly stronger than this years so i am extremely comfortable with missing this years first round if it means giving up next years, 

the only way i can see us realisitically geting a first rounder this year is if Hogan walks out.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Abe said:

From what i've seen/heard next years draft looks significantly stronger than this years so i am extremely comfortable with missing this years first round if it means giving up next years, 

the only way i can see us realisitically geting a first rounder this year is if Hogan walks out.

Agree on all counts. If we were to gain a high pick, McGrath would be my hope. Line ball between he and McLuggage for mine. Can win his own ball, lock down defensively and has extreme pace either from the outside or from stoppages. Uses it well too.

• Like 1

Goodwin said in his press conference yesterday that they won't "look too far past the draft", so I reckon the list managers will be trying to orchestrate something similar to last year where multi-layered deals with other clubs using picks and existing players improved our first pick. I can't see us getting 2 picks inside round 1 of the draft but 1 pick might be achievable. The risk might be that we have to hand over ANB, Wagner or the like to get it done. It will also probably involve moving one of Garland or Dunn but I can't see their currency being high enough. 

Vandenberg is clearly highly rated at the club and wouldn't be traded.  He was played injured and down on form all year ahead of others starring in the VFL.

IMO the only trade options with any value that we have sufficient depth to cover are ANB (well down the inside mid pecking order) and Wagner (if Hibberd arrives).  But at best they would probably each deliver a pick in the 30s which would not be worth it on its own.  Together they wouldn't get one of GC picks in the 20s let alone one of their top 10 picks.

If they could be worked into a pick upgrade or to sweeten a deal for a really good player then maybe.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 2

If we wanted to get back into the 1st round it can be done. I mentioned in the Trade Whispers thread, we could trade next years 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks, to an academy team looking to boost points for next year, for their first round pick this year. GWS have 23,000 early picks this year and can't possibly use them all so I think they're the logical target.

The AFL closed the points loophole for the current years draft (after we exploited it), but haven't noticed the same loophole there for future trading (until we exploit it).

• Like 1

Unless you are prepared to give up one of our high draft picks (Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw, Hogan, etc), there is zero chance of us getting even close to the first round. Just to select a few names who have been mentioned in this thread, none of Wagner, Vandenberg, Dunn or Garland have any value in a trade, let alone something approaching a top 20 pick.

25 minutes ago, poita said:

Unless you are prepared to give up one of our high draft picks (Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw, Hogan, etc), there is zero chance of us getting even close to the first round. Just to select a few names who have been mentioned in this thread, none of Wagner, Vandenberg, Dunn or Garland have any value in a trade, let alone something approaching a top 20 pick.

All 4 do have some trade value.  Not in the 20s or earlier I agree but all would net picks.

Given that Gold Coast are likely to have more 1st and 2nd round draft picks than they could possibly know what to do with, they might actually be interested in another 'ours next year for yours this year' swap.

Would depend on how their trading plays out, of course. But it's the simple solution.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Good draft for pacy outside types I think, 4 or so of them in the top 20.

Seeing as it's a need, we may trade our way in.
Thing is, these types are very hit and miss.

Agree, but I will back McCartney and Co to develop them well. If Stretch continues to improve and Hunt moves to a wing, they may have a season or two to develop 

20 hours ago, PaulRB said:

No. I like both of them but Wagner and Vanders would be lucky to fetch mid 3rd round picks. Combining both of them would probably only add up to about an early 3rd, maybe a late 2nd if you found a club super desperate for depth which would be unusual.

If we want a first round pick our best option might be to upgrade pick 26 this year combined with next years 2nd rounder to produce a pick around the 15 mark. I don't think we will do this due to the Hibberd trade.

Or trade next years first rounder that I'd value at 7-13 for a pick around the 10 mark. I think we will consider this. GWS' pick 8 and Gold Coast (via us) pick 9 could be be swapped for our pick next year +/- a little extra on top.

There's very few players on our list who I'd value at 2nd rounders and not any that I'd want to give up. We aren't giving up a guy worth a 1st rounder unless it's unexpected (Hogan, Salem etc). 

There's numerous players on our list worth 3rd or early 4th rounders who could be moved on to get late but usable picks in if we wanted to give up other picks but that doesn't help at the top end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Good draft for pacy outside types I think, 4 or so of them in the top 20.

Seeing as it's a need, we may trade our way in.
Thing is, these types are very hit and miss.

Yep I'd almost rather draft for need with 3 quick skillful kids in the late rounds/rookie draft than risk it going for one early. Seems very hard to get a measure on which of the kids taken for outside ability measure up to the AFL pressure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Or trade next years first rounder that I'd value at 7-13 for a pick around the 10 mark. I think we will consider this. GWS' pick 8 and Gold Coast (via us) pick 9 could be be swapped for our pick next year 

I would be loathe to do this, considering the talent on offer next year compared to this. Only player I would like is English,  the midfielder who grew into a ruckman