POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 21

Demonland

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

It takes a real man to carry off a beard   was just getting it going again and unfortunately had a family funeral and Ma in law made me tidy it up

Fear the beard! But yes i reckon we will always fear our MILs (mother-in-laws) more! :lol:

58 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Wouldn't it be great if big Maxy won the Brownlow and fittingly wearing number 11. 

Go maxy. 

On a side note does anyone have a picture of Jim Stynes presenting Max with his # 11 jumper.  Have scoured the net but no luck.  Would really like a copy if it could be posted here or p m to me would be great.  Cheers.

5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

On a side note does anyone have a picture of Jim Stynes presenting Max with his # 11 jumper.  Have scoured the net but no luck.  Would really like a copy if it could be posted here or p m to me would be great.  Cheers.

i know it's not #11 but best i could find

732360-max-gawn.jpg

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, willmoy said:

You didn't think of quoting any Shakespeare on the way out Ernie, like "Watts in a name" etc, etc.

No Will, only quotes from the Adelaide Advertiser would be understood. The lowest common denominator has a whole new meaning when you come into contact with Port fans. However, unlike Crow supporters they are not pretenders and are therefore much preferred. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the picture dc. 

I have a special reason for wanting the #11 so I will keep searching

Gee Max looked so young!  And skinny!!

No idea what happened to post #258...lost in cyperspace:wacko:  It had some Max pictures but it looks like the editor didn't like them.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Just now, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks for the picture dc. 

I have a special reason for wanting the #11 so I will keep searching

Gee Max looked so young!  And skinny!!

are you sure jim actually presented #11 to max and you aren't confusing it with presenting #37?

• Like 3

Just now, daisycutter said:

are you sure jim actually presented #11 to max and you aren't confusing it with presenting #37?

I am pretty sure that Mitch Clark had #11 until 2015, meaning that Jimmy could not have presemted Max with #11.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

3 minutes ago, durango said:

Jim Stynes presented the #11 to Clark not Gawn

Thanks guys, explains why I can't find one - will stop looking.

Edit: Thanks also 'Red and Bluebeard'

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

23 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

732360-max-gawn.jpg

None the less a brilliant pic. Jimma during his fight, Maxy so young. 

Great to see he has developed into the premier ruck in the comp.

Edited by Cards13
Fingers...
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

732360-max-gawn.jpg

Jimmy's looking at him thinking, "I know you got it in you". 

• Like 3

I just love that Max once wore Jimmy's 37 and I can't imagine how proud he would be to now see Max running around in his #11.  Given the reverence Max shows the jumper in his pre-game routine he 'gets' it.

I have a special affection for #11 as it was Jimmy's number:

In our darkest days we had no sponsors and the club put the 'Reach' logo on the front of our jumper.  Not being a fan of corporate logos but happy to support Jimmy's charity, I bought one of them and had #11 put on the back.  It is still in the wardrobe with tags, unworn.  Jimmy died about that time and I 'retired' it.

Two years ago the old boys of the 1964 premiership team had a reunion luncheon at the Bentleigh Club and about 14 of them signed the Red V on that jumper.  My dream is to also get the signatures of our next premiership team on that jumper.

I hope to leave it to my niece for her to leave to MFC.  I think it will be a rare and special piece of memorabilia for the club.  So much of our last 50+ years of how highs and lows would be writ large on that jumper.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 9

20 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I just love that Max once wore Jimmy's 37 and I can't imagine how proud he would be to now see Max running around in his #11.  Given the reverence Max shows the jumper in his pre-game routine he 'gets' it.

In our darkest days we had no sponsors and the club put the 'Reach' logo on the front of our jumper.  Not being a fan of corporate logos but happy to support Jimmy's charity, I bought one of them and had #11 put on the back.  It is still in the wardrobe with tags, unworn.  Jimmy died about that time and I 'retired' it.

Two years ago the old boys of the 1964 premiership team had a reunion luncheon at the Bentleigh Club and about 14 of them signed the Red V on that jumper.  My dream is to also get the signatures of our next premiership team on that jumper.

I hope to leave it to my niece for her to leave to MFC.  I think it will be a rare and special piece of memorabilia for the club.  So much of our last 50+ years of how highs and lows would be writ large on that jumper.

There is a lot of things to be put right in the next ten years......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Indeed. By this stage of the season in most years, the board is clogged up with 'the (so and so) thread' of some poor kid who would be lauded as a potential savior by all and sundry. I'm not sure there is even one of those threads this year. 
Another good thing is that we have won our bet with the Suns. From what I remember, our trade for pick three last year was given to us in return for our first round pick this year. If we performed well this year, it would be worth less. We beat Carlton and I would say we are looking at something just outside pick 10 (maybe 11 or 12). 

Don't you mean 14 or 15?

16 hours ago, bing181 said:

I remember back in the day, after yet another Melbourne thrashing, going across to our opponent's Board (Hawthorn, Swans, North ... whoever) and see everyone complaining about how badly they'd played, and dreaming of the day when we could [censored] about how badly we played, but still come away with a win. Especially, remembering that this was Port at home, and they had as much to play for as us (finals etc.).

Wonder if Ollie Wines had a teensy twinge of regret? Not sure of the way forward for Port. Demons on the other hand ... and we've still got Salem, Weiderman etc. etc. waiting in the wings.

Would've been handy, and funny how they have Toumpas now too. Have forgotten about Wines this year, we don't need that sort of player anymore and he hasn't reached elite category or anything

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

That would be special.

• Like 1