Farewell and Thank You, Roosy!

Lucifers Hero

One of the perks of living in Geelong, I already have a ticket to the game.

Look for the lonely dees supporter holding up a sign/banner saying something about Roosy.

Im going to throw it over to you guys at Demonland to make suggestions about what it could say.

And go...

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

36 minutes ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

One of the perks of living in Geelong, I already have a ticket to the game.

Look for the lonely dees supporter holding up a sign/banner saying something about Roosy.

Im going to throw it over to you guys at Demonland to make suggestions about what it could say.

And go...

"With Roos,wins at Geelong come in twos"

Yeah,  a bit lame and most Cats fans won't get it. 

I'll come up with something better later.

• Like 1

Increasingly I am sensing that after the Geelong game Roos will not be with us at all.  After the bye he said he and PJ had chatted about what the future held and decided to focus on the rest of the year.  Earlier this week he said he is no longer involved with list management meetings.  Then in this article http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-08-11/roos-lauds-2016-as-a-success 

"Roos reiterated that he wouldn’t get involved in any post-season off-field trades, unless asked...“From my point-of-view, I’ve bowed out of all of those discussions...“I’m looking forward to the three weeks and [I’m] really excited about where the club’s heading and [I’m] excited about Goody (Simon Goodwin) taking over and the coaching group that’s been assembled...“I’m equally excited about riding off into the sunset.”

Am happy that PJ may think the club is solid and mature enough to have no role for him at the club.  But I am incredibly sad that in a few weeks he will be gone. 

I just hope someone finds a fitting way (in addition to the team winning) to farewell him at his last game in Geelong where opp teams get about 1% of the tickets so we supporters won't be able to do anything there or be part of it. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Increasingly I am sensing that after the Geelong game Roos will not be with us at all.  After the bye he said he and PJ had chatted about what the future held and decided to focus on the rest of the year.  Earlier this week he said he is no longer involved with list management meetings.  Then in this article http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-08-11/roos-lauds-2016-as-a-success 

"Roos reiterated that he wouldn’t get involved in any post-season off-field trades, unless asked...“From my point-of-view, I’ve bowed out of all of those discussions...“I’m looking forward to the three weeks and [I’m] really excited about where the club’s heading and [I’m] excited about Goody (Simon Goodwin) taking over and the coaching group that’s been assembled...“I’m equally excited about riding off into the sunset.”

Am happy that PJ may think the club is solid and mature enough to have no role for him at the club.  But I am incredibly sad that in a few weeks he will be gone. 

I just hope someone finds a fitting way (in addition to the team winning) to farewell him at his last game in Geelong where opp teams get about 1% of the tickets so we supporters won't be able to do anything there or be part of it. 

I think Macca's appointment in player development fills the area Roos would have been involved if he stayed on. Looking at the Doggies and Macca's involvement in developing young players I think we are in very good hands and Roos can enjoy sitting in the stands with a frothy or two when he is in town.

On 8/10/2016 at 3:43 PM, billy2803 said:

Anyone know how we buy tickets for the Geelong game?

I believe they go on sale tomorrow morning, but wondered if there were other options.

TIA.

I bought a ticket yesterday. Only $30 bucks to sit behind the goals at the Ablett terrace/Melbourne end.

I went to the afl website and clicked on 'buy tickets' and it sent me to the ticketmaster website. Very user friendly.

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I bought a ticket yesterday. Only $30 bucks to sit behind the goals at the Ablett terrace/Melbourne end.

I went to the afl website and clicked on 'buy tickets' and it sent me to the ticketmaster website. Very user friendly.

Was that a single ticket?  I tried yesterday as well, I need two tickets, but couldn't buy any next to each other.

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If (and i really hope he does) he was to be at the club in any capacity it would be something along the lines of player wellness.  I wonder if he will be in contact with the coaches if he sees things that alarm him next year, like a performance that mirrors the Round 2 game.

The closer the final transition gets the more nervous i get about it.

3 hours ago, billy2803 said:

Was that a single ticket?  I tried yesterday as well, I need two tickets, but couldn't buy any next to each other.

Yes it was a single ticket.

I booked 9am on the dot and there was 6 or 7 seats available in a block. Who knows if they are available now.

• Like 1

I think we will have to farewell him at the Carlton game, it would be more fitting to do it at the G than at Geelong.

Perhaps a round of applause at 3/4 time or after the game if he came out on the ground, I feel very sad he won't be involved in the club in future, he has done a fantastic job for the club and even those that called him a consultant must realise that now.

Go Roosy, Go Dees, we want you to be there when we raise the cup.

• Like 1

The team Roos took over wasn't much better than the 1 win 49% Fitzroy team of 1996. The Dees in 2013 were 2 wins and 54% (including a win over a fledgling GWS).

Roos took on a 2013 Melbourne team coming off 11 defeats of over 10 goals, including 6 losses of over 90 points. Half of their season games were 10 goal plus hidings and over a quarter were 90 plus.  Two of the losses were 148 points and 128 points.

To put that into perspective, this year Essendon and Brisbane (presently) have had just 2 losses of over 90 points. Roos took over a worse list than the 2016 version of both Essendon and Brisbane.  Brisbane are considered an utter rabble with 2 wins and 60%, but at the corresponding period we'd kicked 221 points less in 2013. 

That he's been able to strip back the list and have the least experienced side in the competition last weekend (66 games to Brisbane's 67) beat the all conquering premiers, who'd delivered another 105 point thumping last year is testament to the incredible improvement and transformation of the list and club.  He knew he'd first have to teach the players how to compete at AFL level, then win and finally win consistently.  He took over a team that had won 20 quarters for the year and this year they'll be more than double.  We're currently within 2 quarters of the Dogs and 5 of Hawthorn.  We've won 5 more than St.Kilda.

Peter Jackson has been a Godsend too, but it's the coach who sets the tone of a football club. He's brought in Goodwin and allowed him to have control in the areas he's good at, such as player relationships and game style. Roos has created an environment where Goodwin and others can thrive.  He's been a culture changer.

And he's been worth every cent.

• Like 16

53 minutes ago, WA Demon13 said:

Beat the Cats on there dung gheap to win 5 in a row and slide into 8th spot. What a legacy to leave !!!

Paul Roos & Peter Jackson - I bow in your presance

We should paint Roos face on Christ the Redeemer at the Rio Olympics.

So many players have come on in leaps and bounds since Roos took over, and for the first time in a long time the team looks solid all over the park.

Without Roos Jack Watts may have been delisted or traded.

Without Roos Bernie Vince may not have wanted to come to the Dees

Without Roos the development and belief shown by our young players may have continued to be a real problem for the club

I just hope we beat the Power this week because to me if we were to drop this game it would take the gloss off what is a very positive season, especially after getting up against the hawks last week.

5 hours ago, ProDee said:

The team Roos took over wasn't much better than the 1 win 49% Fitzroy team of 1996. The Dees in 2013 were 2 wins and 54% (including a win over a fledgling GWS).

Roos took on a 2013 Melbourne team coming off 11 defeats of over 10 goals, including 6 losses of over 90 points. Half of their season games were 10 goal plus hidings and over a quarter were 90 plus.  Two of the losses were 148 points and 128 points.

To put that into perspective, this year Essendon and Brisbane (presently) have had just 2 losses of over 90 points. Roos took over a worse list than the 2016 version of both Essendon and Brisbane.  Brisbane are considered an utter rabble with 2 wins and 60%, but at the corresponding period we'd kicked 221 points less in 2013. 

That he's been able to strip back the list and have the least experienced side in the competition last weekend (66 games to Brisbane's 67) beat the all conquering premiers, who'd delivered another 105 point thumping last year is testament to the incredible improvement and transformation of the list and club.  He knew he'd first have to teach the players how to compete at AFL level, then win and finally win consistently.  He took over a team that had won 20 quarters for the year and this year they'll be more than double.  We're currently within 2 quarters of the Dogs and 5 of Hawthorn.  We've won 5 more than St.Kilda.

Peter Jackson has been a Godsend too, but it's the coach who sets the tone of a football club. He's brought in Goodwin and allowed him to have control in the areas he's good at, such as player relationships and game style. Roos has created an environment where Goodwin and others can thrive.  He's been a culture changer.

Yep, well said Pro Dee

• Like 1

The thing that I appreciate about Roos the most is his honesty during his tenure.

While others in admin. posts at the club in years gone by have rambled about how we would become the team of the decade, Roosy never went there. He simply said, upon coming on board, that we were a two win, 50% team and that was the first and only thing he would be concentrating on.

I appreciate others with lesser profiles may not have been able to have said that but him saying it bloody helped. 

7 hours ago, ProDee said:

Great post.

I don't think there can be any doubt that future generations will look back on this 3 year period with PJ and Roos and point to it as a rebirth of our club. I honestly feared for the club during Neeld's final year, we needed something extraordinary to get out of that hole and Roos and PJ have done that. 

Unless we find ourselves incredibly in the finals (hey it happened to Richmond!) Roos's final game coaching us will be at Kardinia Park, which somehow doesn't feel right but that's the way it's fallen. Even though it's a Carlton home game I hope the club does make a bit of a song and dance as round 22 being the farewell Roos game in front of the MCC. I know he's not the sort of person that would want that kind of adulation thrown on him but I kind of feel the fans want to do it for him.

I don't think he'll stay on in any kind of role at the club sadly, but I think he's earned the break. I get the feeling he'll still be happy to lend an ear to the players and maybe if/when they're back in Melbourne his wife might have a role as I've heard several players speak about her influence with meditation.

For the near future though all we can say to him is thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit reluctant to bump this thread while the 'Dumb and Dumber Coaching' is so active:wacko:.  But here goes: 

Final Training Session with Roos - Thursday Morning:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-08-23/final-training-session-for-the-season:  Fans are encouraged to come along and wish ‘Roosy’ farewell before he hands over the reins to Simon Goodwin...BBQ food and coffee will be available to purchase.

Lets hope the lads can send him off with a win on Saturday.

Edit: Have changed Thread title from Countdown to Farewell.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1