Training observations

pitmaster

3 hours ago, Samael said:

I have often wondered what the KPIs for our players are and where the emphasis is. It seems very much that its based on contested possessions, marks etc. Clarkson is on record as not rating contested possession but score involvements. We don't seem to rate score involvements just the actual goal kicked. I am aware through people that are close to the FD at Richmond that they also rate score involvements (not just goal assists). Geelong and the Bulldogs have similar philosophies according to players I know. They don't play as congested as we do and at times they look like they are playing basketball.

We do now rate score involvements. Not surprisingly, Jack Watts is miles ahead of everyone else. I support the rest of your post.

1 hour ago, Gorgoroth said:

I kicked 5 from the hbf vs bayswater in the u18s. Kicked 5.4 for the game. 4 points came when I was playing ruck rover. 

interesting you lost the accuracy when on the ball.:o

17 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Keith was/is a rhythm guitarist and never pretended to be anything but that...but there are few better at that underrated art. As far as guitarists go though, I would agree on Hendrix, but I rate Peter Green ahead of Clapton and I rate Fripp as one of the greatest innovators...then there's Zappa who was on a whole different level to all of them.

Call that rhythm 'hardtack'...I call this rhythm.

One of the all time greats....Eddie Lang.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Keith was/is a rhythm guitarist and never pretended to be anything but that...but there are few better at that underrated art. As far as guitarists go though, I would agree on Hendrix, but I rate Peter Green ahead of Clapton and I rate Fripp as one of the greatest innovators...then there's Zappa who was on a whole different level to all of them.

Jan Akkermann of Focus.

35 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

interesting you lost the accuracy when on the ball.:o

All four were set shots, the five I kicked were snaps or on the run.

I use to be a decent set shot early on but lost it around second year 16's when I stopped growing and went from FF to HBF/RR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iv'a worn smith said:

RDB No 31

Ha ha, not even close, but Like Mitchell, I could kick ok on both feet, right was longer, left more accurate. [censored] handballing right handed tho. Must be a Mooroolbark thing. :)

Thanks Pitmaster appreciate your Training report and good to see that the coaches are changing it up a bit and thanks for all other posters comments. I don't think that we need jacko giving advice but certainly impressed with his goal kicking comments. It's a shame that Yze or Neita aren't available to work with the team or Brad Green for that matter they were all excellent users of the ball, what about Robbo he could always snag a goal when needed and from every angle and distance. I forgot how good he was until I re-watched the game at Simmonds where he kicked 7 on 2005!! Thanks again - Go Dee's!!!

2 hours ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Ronnie Wood and his predecessor Mick Taylor?  Ry Cooder is a pretty mean picker.  And for what it is worth Rolling Stone Magazine rated Richards at number 4 in the top 100 guitarists.  Not bad for a bloke who doesn't practise.

Both essentially the lead guitarists. In some ways, a good rhythm player is harder to find than a lead guitarist (maybe too many guitarists have the desire to be the centre of attention?); check out some of the stuff Keith has done outside the Stones... for example, "Wicked As It Seems"; brilliant!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rjay said:

Call that rhythm 'hardtack'...I call this rhythm.

One of the all time greats....Eddie Lang.

Well, we could go one further and put up Django ;-)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rjay said:

Thought Django might come up...Eddie was one of Django's big influences.

But Django did it with the use of just two fingers :-)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hardtack said:

But Django did it with the use of just two fingers :-)

There's only one good clip that shows Django playing, if you haven't seen it I will post it in the vids thread (i will anyway)....we're getting a bit away from the training report that turned into a goal kicking practice, to golf and somehow to guitar playing.

Stepping back a bit 'Sat', whilst I agree that practice kicking at training is not the same as kicking in the pressure of a match, it is non the less an important part of training if we want to maximise the result. All parts of the game need to be drilled, even down to the interchanges.

We are losing the close ones because of a number of small errors not necessarily any major mistakes, Hawthorn win these games because they do more right. Experience along with a professional approach to training will see us win more than we lose in the future.

Reckon goal kicking is a bit like batting at cricket. If you get to 90 and don't make a hundred , you feel very [censored] off. You get to 40 metres and miss at football it should equal the same felling ,but sadly in footy you might reckon if the next chance is just around the corner you can fix.

Wrong , trust me.

When you get to 40 , best you just get it done.

I don't usually post this sort of stuff, but reading this thread is doing my head in.

When used as a verb, it is 'practise' i.e. he needs to practise his kicking.

When used as a noun, it is 'practice' i.e. I attended footy practice today.

Given the title of the article that has been posted in this thread, even the Herald Sun doesn't seem to know the difference.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hardtack said:

Both essentially the lead guitarists. In some ways, a good rhythm player is harder to find than a lead guitarist (maybe too many guitarists have the desire to be the centre of attention?); check out some of the stuff Keith has done outside the Stones... for example, "Wicked As It Seems"; brilliant!

Agree, what's AC/DC without Malcolm Young... No where near as good.

same with the human metronome Phil Rudd

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I don't usually post this sort of stuff, but reading this thread is doing my head in.

Given the title of the article that has been posted in this thread, even the Herald Sun doesn't seem to know the difference.

Think auto correct is more is the culprit 

7 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Thanks, always confused me.

15 hours ago, hardtack said:

Rhythm guitarist like a tagger.  Keef the Ryan Crowley of guitar ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Unless you're American, in which case it's reversed.

Of course, you could practise your spelling as much as you want, but try spelling under real match day pressure...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just typed in 'practising' and it didn't auto correct it to 'practicing', which is the word incorrectly used here in every second post.

Anyway - I don't wish to hijack what is otherwise a very good thread. It was just an observation.

Practise makes perfect 

19 hours ago, PaulRB said:

Some interesting stats on where the MFC performs well (and not)...

http://www.fantasyfootballnuts.org/afl-2016-the-numbers-so-far-how-does-your-team-rank/

Looked at these stats

It appears we are under performing in the following areas (No surprises)

1. Total Kicks  15th

2. Efficiency  13th

3. Contested marks  11th

4. Inside 50s   12th

we are 8th or better in all other stats including 2nd for Handballs and clangers, 3rd for Clearances and 4th for Contested  and uncontested possessions and 4th for stoppages

So we need to improve our kicks and efficiency and take more marks inside 50 and we will be winners Right?

• Like 1