• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training observations

pitmaster

1 hour ago, Every Game "64 said:

Interesting thread this. It's my first post so let me make 3 observations :

1 practice vs practise. Practice = 'ice' = noun. The second one is the verb.

2 Ross Hannaford comes high on the list of great guitarists

3 Look, if they miss a shot from 30-40 metres out they should have their salary docked. 

Hell's Bells, these guys are professionals!

Concise and covered all the bases. You have no future here EG64!

:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

OK I have little knowledge in this area but some interest so firstly where do people rate Carlos Santana in the pantheon on guitarists? 

And after attending another extraordinary 3 hour performance by The Cure last night I wonder where Robert Smith lines up? He describes himself as a guitarist with limited technique "but at least I don't sound like anyone else"! Which begs the question how do you judge great musicians, on technical ability or their unique sound? 

1 hour ago, Every Game "64 said:

Interesting thread this. It's my first post so let me make 3 observations :

2 Ross Hannaford comes high on the list of great guitarists

3 Look, if they miss a shot from 30-40 metres out they should have their salary docked. 

Hell's Bells, these guys are professionals!

Good call on Hanna...an absolute original from the Melbourne school of guitar players when there was such a thing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I don't usually post this sort of stuff, but reading this thread is doing my head in.

When used as a verb, it is 'practise' i.e. he needs to practise his kicking.

When used as a noun, it is 'practice' i.e. I attended footy practice today.

Given the title of the article that has been posted in this thread, even the Herald Sun doesn't seem to know the difference.

14 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just typed in 'practising' and it didn't auto correct it to 'practicing', which is the word incorrectly used here in every second post.

Anyway - I don't wish to hijack what is otherwise a very good thread. It was just an observation.

And I thought that I was the only pedant in the village ?

• Like 1

With training long gone... I had the immense pleasure of seeing John McLaughlin and the Fourth Dimension at last years Melbourne Festival.  Not in my lifetime have I heard a performance so fluid yet so tight - from all members.  JM is very well respected by his peers (Jimi, Santana, Beck, Davis, King, et al) but seems to get pigeon-holed by many people as 'just a fast player'.  So wrong.  Brilliant guitarist and musician.

• Like 1

And while we're off the subject I've had a selection opportunity and this is the team for this week :

BERRY        GALLAGHER     LENNON

ZAPPA         HANNAFORD    RICHARDS

GREEN           HENDRIX       GRAPELLI

PAGE              COODER      McGUINN

HAZEL            CLAPTON       SLASH

R : HOLLY    KOBAIN   ROBERT JOHNSON

INT : JOHNNY WINTER  SPRINGSTEEN  BB KING  PERKINS

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Every Game "64 said:

And while we're off the subject I've had a selection opportunity and this is the team for this week :

BERRY        GALLAGHER     LENNON

ZAPPA         HANNAFORD    RICHARDS

GREEN           HENDRIX       GRAPELLI

PAGE              COODER      McGUINN

HAZEL            CLAPTON       SLASH

R : HOLLY    KOBAIN   ROBERT JOHNSON

INT : JOHNNY WINTER  SPRINGSTEEN  BB KING  PERKINS

Nice team EG - I think Django might be fretting, though...

1 hour ago, mauriesy said:

You guys are always centred on rock'n'roll and blues. Try Andrs Segovia or John Williams. Or in the women's league, Yang or Isbin.

Lucky enough again to see both, yes, both good,

10 hours ago, Trisul said:

With training long gone... I had the immense pleasure of seeing John McLaughlin and the Fourth Dimension at last years Melbourne Festival.  Not in my lifetime have I heard a performance so fluid yet so tight - from all members.  JM is very well respected by his peers (Jimi, Santana, Beck, Davis, King, et al) but seems to get pigeon-holed by many people as 'just a fast player'.  So wrong.  Brilliant guitarist and musician.

Yes so did I

Edited by Satyriconhome

11 hours ago, Every Game "64 said:

Note however that there are two meanings to the verb 'practise'. Practising your football skills is not the same as practising your religion. A practising solicitor or doctor is not a beginner.  ^_^

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

No love for Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Stevie was a great player but I always remember the story of when Bowie brought him into the studio to play on "Lets Dance".

The producer, another great player Nile Rodgers said to Bowie "Why didn't you just get Albert King"...

Nile's since backtracked a bit on this but there's no doubt Stevie had his influences front and square early in the piece.

12 hours ago, Trisul said:

I saw McLaughlin with the Mahavishnu Orchestra with the following line up at the Knebworth Festival (UK) in 1974:

• John McLaughlin -electric guitar
  • Jean-Luc Ponty -electric violin
  • Gayle Moran -keyboards
  • Ralphe Armstrong - electric bass
  • Michael Walden- drums
  • Carol Shive - violin
  • Marsha Westbrook -viola
  • Philip Hirschi - cello
  • Steve Frankewicz
  • Bob Knapp -trumpet , flugelhorn, flute
  • Steven Kindler -violin 

He was one hell of a guitarist, but I could find him to be a little too obsessed with speed over taste.  The album he did with Carlos Santana was awful, but the stuff he did with Miles Davis was inspirational.  Of the jazz fusion style of guitarists, I was more a fan of the likes of Larry Coryell and the Finish guitarist Jukka Tolonen.

6 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I saw McLaughlin with the Mahavishnu Orchestra with the following line up at the Knebworth Festival (UK) in 1974:

• John McLaughlin -electric guitar
  • Jean-Luc Ponty -electric violin
  • Gayle Moran -keyboards
  • Ralphe Armstrong - electric bass
  • Michael Walden- drums
  • Carol Shive - violin
  • Marsha Westbrook -viola
  • Philip Hirschi - cello
  • Steve Frankewicz
  • Bob Knapp -trumpet , flugelhorn, flute
  • Steven Kindler -violin 

He was one hell of a guitarist, but I could find him to be a little too obsessed with speed over taste.  The album he did with Carlos Santana was awful, but the stuff he did with Miles Davis was inspirational.  Of the jazz fusion style of guitarists, I was more a fan of the likes of Larry Coryell and the Finish guitarist Jukka Tolonen.

Where do we put Pat Metheny 'hardtack'? quite an eclectic player, Bill Frisell is another. So many good players, so many styles and blends.

Just now, rjay said:

Where do we put Pat Metheny 'hardtack'? quite an eclectic player, Bill Frisell is another. So many good players, so many styles and blends.

I reckon we create a board for guitarist appreciation, haven't even got near John Fahey, Robbie Basho, John Martyn, Martin Barre, Richard Thompson, David Lindley, Dave Davies, Gabor Szabo

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rjay said:

I have to admit to not listening to much Metheny, but I do like Frisell a lot... the albums he did with Elvis Costello were fantastic. I suppose there are so many great players that it would be impossible to create an ordered list that would be in any way fair.   There have been quite a few from Oz who would rate... Ross Hannaford, Andrew Pendlebury, Tommy Emmanuel, Lobby Lloyd, Russell Smith, Angus Young, George Golla, Slava Grigoryan and the list goes on... even a fellow Demon supporter who lurks around these boards (hope he doesn't mind me mentioning him :lol:) Rob MacKenzie.

Edited by hardtack

1 minute ago, hardtack said:

I have to admit to not listening to much Metheny, but I do like Frisell a lot... the albums he did with Elvis Costello were fantastic. I suppose there are so many great players that it would be impossible to create an ordered list that would be in any way fair.   There have been quite a few from Oz who would rate... Ross Hannaford, Andrew Pendlebury, Tommy Emmanuel, Lobby Lloyd, Russell Smith, Angus Young, George Golla, Slava Grigoryan and the list goes on... even a fellow Demon supporter who lurks around these boards (:lol:) Rob MacKenzie... and the list goes on.

You were doing so well and then you said Tommy Emmanuel reminds me of Chris Spedding, technically adept but soulless

5 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

You were doing so well and then you said Tommy Emmanuel reminds me of Chris Spedding, technically adept but soulless

Like my assessment of McLaughlin, he has his moments... I saw him do a superb duet with the amazing ukulele player Jake Shimabukuro.  Your mention of Spedding for some reason made me think of Phil Manzanera (weird, I know)... now there was a great and innovative player.

2 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Like my assessment of McLaughlin, he has his moments... I saw him do a superb duet with the amazing ukulele player Jake Shimabukuro.  Your mention of Spedding for some reason made me think of Phil Manzanera (weird, I know)... now there was a great and innovative player.

Spedding to Manzanera....they may have been on TOTP together at one point, Manzanera backing the guy in the white tuxedo and Spedding in the Womble suit...

1 minute ago, hardtack said:

I can die now. I would never have thought I would see amazing and ukulele in the same sentence. Not even sure they are in the same dictionary. But then I have been deeply scarred by the regular sightings of Tiny Tim in my youth. 

2 minutes ago, Samael said:

I can die now. I would never have thought I would see amazing and ukulele in the same sentence. Not even sure they are in the same dictionary. But then I have been deeply scarred by the regular sightings of Tiny Tim in my youth. 

Mate before you expire, google George Formby, now there was a uke player

• Like 1

Funny story re Lindley...a number of years ago I was thinking of getting a lap steel (didn't in the end).

I didn't know where to start, so in my naivety thought "who plays lap steel?"....David Lindley of course, well I will send him an email. Somehow I got his address and sent him a message and he was kind enough to send me back some good info and told me about a good bargain at a shop on Santa Monica Boulevard.

Lost his address and the email unfortunately...

5 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I have to admit to not listening to much Metheny, but I do like Frisell a lot... the albums he did with Elvis Costello were fantastic. I suppose there are so many great players that it would be impossible to create an ordered list that would be in any way fair.   There have been quite a few from Oz who would rate... Ross Hannaford, Andrew Pendlebury, Tommy Emmanuel, Lobby Lloyd, Russell Smith, Angus Young, George Golla, Slava Grigoryan and the list goes on... even a fellow Demon supporter who lurks around these boards (:lol:) Rob MacKenzie... and the list goes on.

Some great players there for sure...there was a type of playing by some Melbourne players led by Hanna that included the likes of Russell Smith, Wayne Burt, Bob Starkey. Kind of a rock and rockabilly blend, Wayne Burt does it really well. I think it was a sign of the times when we were more isolated and hand no internet, mates played together and taught each other licks and tricks...a little bit like different accents in spoken language. You could tell a bit about a player from where they came.

That McKenzie guy goes alright too, pity there's limited video available.

7 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Tommy gets a bad wrap, I think it's a bit to do with the showmanship/success thing. I used to know him way back and he's a great guy and just a monster player, he can play anything. Name a tune and Tom can play it and not just fumble around, he just nails it.

He was determined to make it and knew that to be a solo performer he had to do all the tricks and put on a show, he told me once he would stand on his head and play if that's what people wanted.

I love Tom the person and player but I get that he's not everyones cup of tea as a performer. Don't ever underestimate him as a player and the amount of work he's put into it. Talk to a lot of the great players around the world and they respect Tom the player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rjay said:

Funny story re Lindley...a number of years ago I was thinking of getting a lap steel (didn't in the end).

I didn't know where to start, so in my naivety thought "who plays lap steel?"....David Lindley of course, well I will send him an email. Somehow I got his address and sent him a message and he was kind enough to send me back some good info and told me about a good bargain at a shop on Santa Monica Boulevard.

Lost his address and the email unfortunately...

Some great players there for sure...there was a type of playing by some Melbourne players led by Hanna that included the likes of Russell Smith, Wayne Burt, Bob Starkey. Kind of a rock and rockabilly blend, Wayne Burt does it really well. I think it was a sign of the times when we were more isolated and hand no internet, mates played together and taught each other licks and tricks...a little bit like different accents in spoken language. You could tell a bit about a player from where they came.

That McKenzie guy goes alright too, pity there's limited video available.

Tommy gets a bad wrap, I think it's a bit to do with the showmanship/success thing. I used to know him way back and he's a great guy and just a monster player, he can play anything. Name a tune and Tom can play it and not just fumble around, he just nails it.

He was determined to make it and knew that to be a solo performer he had to do all the tricks and put on a show, he told me once he would stand on his head and play if that's what people wanted.

I love Tom the person and player but I get that he's not everyones cup of tea as a performer. Don't ever underestimate him as a player and the amount of work he's put into it. Talk to a lot of the great players around the world and they respect Tom the player.

You are probably right about Emmanuel, only ever seen him on the telly, never felt the urge to see live, probably tainted by the tv performances, just seemed to be showing off prowess rather than 'feeling' it, that is why Gallagher is my no 1, threw everything into performance every time, and could play anything and often did

Lucky enough to attend the famous/infamous performance by Gallagher, where the stage lights, the packed auditorium, the heat from the performance made the drum kit burst into flames, much to the surprise of the drummer as it wasn't part of the act

Nice about Lindley

Edited by Satyriconhome

8 minutes ago, Samael said:

Well, for your edification...

• Like 1

On 29/07/2016 at 11:57 AM, Satyriconhome said:

I have a different slant on training

Every AFL player should be able to  kick and handball

Training to me is teaching where and when to run, when to handball, how to run both ways, playing your role at stoppagez etc etc   if the players want to practice goal kicking at the end or on their own time   good  it will make little difference on game day tired or under pressure

Guitarists    there are only 3 

Rory Gallagher

Eddie Hazel

Frank Zappa

Slash is a cliche

As for bending like Beckham  I am one of the lucky ones who was/is naturally adept at ball sports, not brilliant but can play most to decent level

I had never heard of Eddie Hazel, so just went to youtube and listened to the song Maggot Brain

[censored] Fantastic

Thannks Saty!!!!!!

Edited by red and blue forever
  • Like 1