MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 17

Demonland

2 minutes ago, sue said:

The fact that they have acknowledged they've made mistakes in the past gives more more confidence in them, not less.

Easy to acknowledge it and accept that we made mistakes on selection table.

Not backing it up by actions repeatedly is a whole different story.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sue said:

The fact that they have acknowledged they've made mistakes in the past gives me more confidence in them, not less.

Maybe if it was just once, not 4 times in half a season...

Fortunately for the experts on this forum their teams never get to play so we never know if they'd have done any better. 

Sorry chaps, I have more confidence in the pros who have more information than we do even if they make lots of mistakes.  It is harder to make mistakes if you are a selector for Hawthorn.

• Like 5

I know our defensive unit doesn't operate like this but is it possible that we could have our usual diamond/press and exclude Tmac from it? We play his as a traditional defending matchup on Riewoldt and let the others defend as usual.

This may mean that we need to send a different player back, especially when Riewoldt works further up the ground, but giving Tmac that specific role, especially as he has the tank to do so, could really help us take care of our biggest problem with the saints.

Could this work/happen or would it make the entire defensive system fall to pieces?

24 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Not sure why people bang on about fresh legs when we've come off a longer than usual break. Eight days.

We're a full day ahead of St Kilda in regards to recovery and their game was a physical, pinball game of footy from the start right up until the final siren.. If anyone is in need of fresh legs, it'll be them.

Melbourne supporters love excuses.

We will win. We will be more physical and a lot tighter in our forward half which will mean they won't be able to slingshot as often as last time. 

St Kilda as a club are like a blow fly. They just hang around, are of little significance and they're annoying. We should put them to the sword early on.

They played at Etihad, under a roof, against a half-arsed team Sunday arvo.We played in Darwin in 28 degrees on a Saturday night. Not sure I'd be claiming we have the advantage here from a preparation perspective.

Last time we played them we made 1 change and both teams had the same amount of days rest. Surely you can understand why supporters would be questioning the lack of changes once again, nothing to do with excuses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeZee said:

I'm not sure bringing Brayshaw in for Stretch is a good move .

He has hardly had a solid block of form coming in.

Stretchys pace would have been handy on Etihad on one StKildas damaging smalls.

Hope I'm proven wrong.

Agree. Pace needed at Etihad. Saints bring in Sinclair and Billings who are quick and onit Delaney.

I think VDHBerg is lucky.  Stretch is very very unlucky. 

O.mcd... 6 poor games in the last 7. Very sore and would be lucky to be 100%. I thought Wagner might come back in or Bugg to get a crack at Steven. 

Just my opinion (ins: Bugg Brayshaw for outs: Vdhberg o.mcd)

47 minutes ago, Nasher said:

You would - based on your fitness and conditioning information, which we don't have.

I never understand why everyone always defaults to "the selectors are idiots". I know it's not what you said Stu, but it's what you must think if you think they're ignoring common sense.

I feel we just have to trust that they know what they are doing when those in charge have more cumulative years of experience than I have been alive.

I think its because they have cost us on at least 3 occasions this season with poor team selection. This again does not feel right and I hope it does not cost us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

After the Essendon debacle the backlash on here was that Brayshaw was brought too early and underdone..

I have sneaky feeling this could be the case again.

This also proves how highly rated Brayshaw is amongst coaching staff.

The only difference is that he has a solid 4 weeks of training 

13 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

The only difference is that he has a solid 4 weeks of training 

There is no difference.

Brayshaw had a good block of training and few games in the VFL before the Essendon game.

2 hours ago, DeeZee said:

I'm not sure bringing Brayshaw in for Stretch is a good move .

He has hardly had a solid block of form coming in.

Stretchys pace would have been handy on Etihad on one StKildas damaging smalls.

Hope I'm proven wrong.

In fact I reckon this is a disastrous move! A slowish Mid to replace a fast outside runner in Stretch, who, I beleive has been earning his spot! After al that though Still STILL have concerns re Gus Concussions! Sheeit I hope I dont have an "I told you so Moment" I do not like stuffing around with multiple concussions! Would have much preffered Clarry Chho Choo if another mid was needed! I reckon the selectors again have stuffed up! We will see! Surely an ankle injury to O mac will make him slower than what he already is! 

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Easy to acknowledge it and accept that we made mistakes on selection table.

Not backing it up by actions repeatedly is a whole different story.

Definition of insanity = doing the same thing over and over and over again.  

Ffs hopefully they get this right!

Edited by DemonOX

It's been a week since Darwin.  The only thing that might, MIGHT, have an effect is that we have a few younger players.  Otherwise they are professional athletes and the club would have planned well in advance for this game, not to mention monitoring the players closely heading in to selection.  If they believe that one change is necessary then that's what is necessary.

I still think O Mac might not get up for the game, and Wagner is obviously the ready made replacement for him.

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I think its because they have cost us on at least 3 occasions this season with poor team selection. This again does not feel right and I hope it does not cost us. 

Which three?

I recall Roos saying after one match (I can't remember which) that we made one mistake at selection, which I believe was selecting Brayshaw prematurely.  Not sure when that evolved in to three.

3 hours ago, Juicebox said:

But that pass to Jeff on QB

That goal against North...

He can do things Oliver can't. (And vice versa of course) I think it's a tad early to decide who is the better player of the two.

Not sure about that. I seem to recall a couple of games where selection had quite a bearing. Perhaps not cost us the game but we had a 6 day break when the team went in unchanged and got run off the park for example..

• Like 1

Just now, jnrmac said:

Not sure about that. I seem to recall a couple of games where selection had quite a bearing. Perhaps not cost us the game but we had a 6 day break when the team went in unchanged and got run off the park for example..

It's so hard to be sure that's the reason though.  It's like everyone always blaming Darwin.  Under Roos, we are 18-41 - on any given week there's a 60% chance we're going to turn up and play like poo anyway; it's impossible to know how much of it is fatigue, but everyone blames it as if it is so definitive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nasher said:

Which three?

I recall Roos saying after one match (I can't remember which) that we made one mistake at selection, which I believe was selecting Brayshaw prematurely.  Not sure when that evolved in to three.

After the Bombers game (We picked underdone players, we'll learn from it), after the Saints game (We picked the wrong players for the ground, we'll learn from it), after the Bulldogs game (In hindsight another tall would have been good), After the Port game (I've got to take responsibility for not making more changes for this week. We spoke about it at match committee).

There's 4 examples.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

don't see the link to charles, unless you think we can't evolve :lol:

You don't belive in survival of the fittest then, DC? :lol::)