Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 16

Demonland

Mature win, reality is the second half was terrible and our inability to score despite heavy forward half dominance was disappointing. But we need to start having these wins, playing poorly for large parts of the game but still being able to dispatch poor opposition. Not happy with our second half execution but happy with the result. On to next week!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

What did people think of White's game tonight?

I thought he was really good in the aerial contests, however, he looked cooked fairly early in the game and was caught sleeping a few times in the defensive 50 giving his opponents too much space/not running back hard enough. He got away with most of them. Similar to his first game. 

• Like 2

Well, I can't believe so many on here are so negative. It was a professional win, a win you would expect a good side to accomplish, one we so often stumble over in the past. We have some like ones coming up, particularly St. Kilda next week, a side we should beat easily, but IMHO probably will not given our record at Ethiad. If we do, then I would say we have really turned a corner, and we are on the way to being a good side. 

Some comments:

i think Pettraca will take another two years before he becomes the superstar of the competition which I have no doubt he will be. I think in this context we should acknowledge what a gem Jack Viney is: he has been a star from his first game at the club, and has stamped "leadership" all over himself from day one. There are very very few players in that catagory and even less that are got at draft 24 ( albeit through father son). 

This season has seen a wonderful maturing of players who have been around for a while who many of us though they would never achieve their potential A grade status: Gawn, Watts, N. Jones, Tyson, Vince, Hogan. All have shown this season they will form the basis of our next premiership team, and are at it near A grade status now. It is a very very long time since we could say that.

We also have a number of young players waiting in the wings who have the potential for A grade stutus and are already immensely talented: Salem, Trengove, Brayshaw, Weideman 

We can be immensely encouraged by this, but I detect the hierarchy are getting impatient about our win loss record as could be seen from the less than flattering interview at half time with our Chief Execuitive. It is very encouraging that we no longer will tolerate second best. It is about time! 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

i think Pettraca will take another two years before he becomes the superstar of the competition which I have no doubt he will be. I think in this context we should acknowledge what a gem Jack Viney is: he has been a star from his first game at the club, and has stamped "leadership" all over himself from day one. There are very very few players in that catagory and even less that are got at draft 24 ( albeit through father son). 

His bullet pass to Hogan that bounced off his chest and his 70m bomb around the corner to set Garlett free running inside 50 were both examples of what should've been goal assists. Then there's the miss chances he has himself, including the biggest weakness of his game so far which is set shot kicking. 

I won't predict too far ahead for him just yet but the way he can create and score already is amazing. 

Viney would've been a top 5 pick, which is a big achievement for a small fella with a wonky kick, but he's worth it. Leadership is a strange term, you never really know who the best are at it and there's so many different facets involved. The thing I love about Viney is knowing that almost every week he'll be giving his best fiercely attacking the ball and that kind of attack has to be infectious. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, P-man said:

To the muppets in the game day thread who called an end to Grimes' AFL career after his first three touches, I hope you enjoyed the next 29 after that.

Yes he definitely improved after an ugly start P. He even started to hit up short targets and one or two chancy ones inside. Something that's been missing from his repertoire until now. Probably his best game for the Demons so far in terms of effort v quality after the first 3 or 4 disposals. 

3 hours ago, 3Dee said:

Matt Jones! hasn't he turned it around, like Stretch no frills getting it done.

Only saw one brain fade (old Matty) just before the end of the 2nd. The rest was pretty awesome. He even tried to crash a pack at one point! This was Matty's best game for us IMO although I seem to recall one or two pearlers early on in his career. Some of those handballs were very sweet and squeezy! Cleaned up some other's messes once or twice as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Missed game due to family reasons, 

more information on White please....

What he did well?

What he didn't do?

Disposal?

Does he hold his spot?

cheers

A little scratchy but to be expected given the big step up Bombay. 

He held his own and the effort was never in doubt. Hit many contests harder than the dynamic duo (Frost/Omac) have so far as he has an AFL ready bod and appetite for the hard stuff. Not saying the duo don't have the appetite but the bods aren't there yet, especially Omac.  Certainly doesn't shirk a contest and in one spoil effort from behind he reminded me (in that contest only lol) of Gibson with a big two handed punch over the boundary deep in defence.

He made a few errors and occasionally a brain fade under severe pressure but personally I think he is a rung or two above the level of the duo at this point.

Too early to say he's a keeper though. Let's see how he goes over 3 to 4 weeks and against better opposition.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

We also have a number of young players waiting in the wings who have the potential for A grade stutus and are already immensely talented: Salem, Trengove, Brayshaw, Weideman 

You forgot Clarrie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

A little scratchy but to be expected given the big step up Bombay. 

He held his own and the effort was never in doubt. Hit many contests harder than the dynamic duo (Frost/Omac) have so far as he has an AFL ready bod and appetite for the hard stuff. Not saying the duo don't have the appetite but the bods aren't there yet, especially Omac.  Certainly doesn't shirk a contest and in one spoil effort from behind he reminded me (in that contest only lol) of Gibson with a big two handed punch over the boundary deep in defence.

He made a few errors and occasionally a brain fade under severe pressure but personally I think he is a rung or two above the level of the duo at this point.

Too early to say he's a keeper though. Let's see how he goes over 3 to 4 weeks and against better opposition.

Appreciate the feedback, will try at watch the first half at the airport tomorrow.

10 hours ago, P-man said:

To the muppets in the game day thread who called an end to Grimes' AFL career after his first three touches, I hope you enjoyed the next 29 after that.

I didn't see the game but everyone's disposal needs to be judged in a game like Geelong/Sydney played in Friday night, in particular the first half. Only then will we know about our players.

(I'm assuming the game wasnt played with the same intesity from both sides?)

15 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Some of out efforts against the Crows, Hawthorn and North show we are improving but sustaining it for four quarters is another thing.

This season to date has been frustrating in that we have showed what we can do but can't do it for 4 quarters yet. Hopefully that will change next season. 

Must admit this is a good frustration compared to the previous 9 seasons. 

Finish off the season strongly boys which will help launch is into next season. 

Go Dee's. 

• Like 1

What a great first half quite scintillating at times, forwards on top, mids on top and defence well and truly on top. TMac & Grimes exceptional games. The boys took their best shots and ground it out in the 3rd & 4th quarters. Another two hoodoo's down. Go Dee's!!!

40 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Haters....??....ok, 

At years end Grimes only needs to ask one question, and that is "if the whole list is fit am i best 22" (he's no longer a development/project player in any position). Based on what he hears will determine whether or not he asks for a trade. He's not going to want a third season in and out of the side. 

No dicks to be eaten here.

I'd put Garland, Dunn and ANB in the same boat. Whilst we have started to develop some depth I can't see the above mentioned happy to sit around and wait for a call up. 

Watts has been un "NEELDED". One good senior appearance by Grimes doesn't prove anything. Trengove was good in in his first senior game back then end up being dropped. I hope for Grimes sake that he continues to flourish. I also remember at times Hunt and Harmes being rubbished by some of you people out there,obviously you don't have the nous to see a potential stars in the making. What great draft picks we got so un NEELD. 

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Haters....??....ok, 

At years end Grimes only needs to ask one question, and that is "if the whole list is fit am i best 22" (he's no longer a development/project player in any position). Based on what he hears will determine whether or not he asks for a trade. He's not going to want a third season in and out of the side. 

No dicks to be eaten here.

Sorry, but for one of our Grimes bashers-in-chief, this is a bit rich. 

You've done nothing but call for the club to push him out, and now you are suggesting that it is his decision whether to leave and that that somehow makes it ok to heap it on him constantly on these boards. 

Give me a spell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I love Jayden Hunt. I can't believe how good a player he is going to turn out to  be!

Who would've known!

Had a look at the game day thread on the BF Freo board.

One of the few Melbourne related comments was: "Sheridan needs to play more like Hunt. Kid is already an absolute gun"

• Like 3

Another positive to come out of the win is that it will be the end of those stupid "we haven't improved because we've only beaten teams we beat last year" posts.

8 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

This season has seen a wonderful maturing of players who have been around for a while who many of us though they would never achieve their potential A grade status: Gawn, Watts, N. Jones, Tyson, Vince, Hogan. All have shown this season they will form the basis of our next premiership team, and are at it near A grade status now. It is a very very long time since we could say that.

I know what you're trying to say here but not sure Hogan is supposed to be in a list of players people thought would not reach A-grade status.

• Like 2

Good win and great 1st quarter. Tommy Mac was brilliant and so was his kicking, Hunt's pace is just awesome. Watts played really well and Hogan had a good game. Enjoyed his 3rd quarter mark when he and Zac were 1 on 1 and Hogan just did the tiniest bump on him and Zac virtually fell over. 

Anyway its another 4 points, but I hope the game didn't take to much out of us and recovery is important next week because we need to back it up with another win against the saints. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2016 at 10:20 AM, Undeeterred said:

Sorry, but for one of our Grimes bashers-in-chief, this is a bit rich. 

You've done nothing but call for the club to push him out, and now you are suggesting that it is his decision whether to leave and that that somehow makes it ok to heap it on him constantly on these boards. 

Give me a spell.

You're right i have called for him to be moved on and for good reason. The moving on of Grimes or the mass reduction in his wage should he be kept (personally can't see it happening but we've just signed Garland on a 3 year contract to play in the VFL) or chose to stay on as a depth player will allow us to keep our talented list together as well as chase talent from outside the club.

His decision....or simply ask the question, a rhetorical question at that. There's a lot of class currently out of the side. If all were fit or had another 20 games to their name would he of played last night?

As for your comment for Grimes haters  let's look at that a bit closer and keep it in context,  he played against Freo last night, arguably the most disappointing side this year. Let's see how he goes next week against the Saint, let's see if he's still in the side when we play West Coast, Port, Hawthorn or Geelong and how he goes against those sides when the heat is really applied. And to all the people that think that he's been so hard done by, how do think he's going financially? I think for a player that hasnt reached any great heights as a player he's cleaned up. I love how constructive criticism is seen as "heaping it on him", maybe I should buy into the captaincy destroyed his career, the same captaincy he could of relinquished when Trengove did but chose not to for reasons we've already discussed. Either way in a little over 7 weeks we will have our answer.

2 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

You're right i have called for him to be moved on and for good reason. The moving on of Grimes or the mass reduction in his wage should he be kept (personally can't see it happening but we've just signed Garland on a 3 year contract to play in the VFL) or chose to stay on as a depth player will allow us to keep our talented list together as well as chase talent from outside the club.

His decision....or simply ask the question, a rhetorical question at that. There's a lot of class currently out of the side. If all were fit or had another 20 games to their name would he of played last night?

As for your comment for Grimes haters "to eat a dick", let's look at that a bit closer and keep it in context,  he played against Freo last night, arguably the most disappointing side this year. Let's see how he goes next week against the Saint, let's see if he's still in the side when we play West Coast, Port, Hawthorn or Geelong and how he goes against those sides when the heat is really applied. And to all the people that think that he's been so hard done by, how do think he's going financially? I think for a player that hasnt reached any great heights as a player he's cleaned up. I love how constructive criticism is seen as "heaping it on him", maybe I should buy into the captaincy destroyed his career, the same captaincy he could of relinquished when Trengove did but chose not to for reasons we've already discussed. Either way in a little over 7 weeks we will have our answer.

Yep, keep changing the goal posts.

'Constructive criticism' is revisionism at its best.