Michael Hibberd and Michael Hurley

P-man

2 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Campbell thinks it is, from The Age article:

"You'd be trying to facilitate a trade," Campbell told SEN when asked what he would do if Hurley wanted to leave the club.

In the work that we've done with the AFL and others, the grievance process we don't think is that option working with those parties.

"And a lot of their (players') management groups have indicated if they did want to go, they'd work to a trade with the club.

"You want players that want to be at your football club. Particularly given the period of time we've been through, if a player said that they didn't feel they could come back to the football club with everything that had happened, of course we work with them to go to another club but we'd also ensure that the club got a reasonable return in exchange for that player leaving a contract early and that's really important."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-ceo-xavier-campbell-says-michael-hurley-free-to-leave-20160811-gqpy88.html

Posturing by Diodoro! 

Nonetheless the AFL, player managers and players want a 'fuss free' transfer of players.  PR, AFL image, manager commissions, player contract $ will win the day.  (BTW Paul Connors is manager for Hurley, Hibberd, Melksham and Ryder.) 

Let's face it no-one really cares about the destination club.   

From that article I reckon a deal has been done where the AFL and Connors have agreed to not go for the DFA/Grievance process but EFC had to agree to accept 'reasonable trades' and not drag it out like they did Ryder.  The AFL does not want that stalemate again so will be pulling the strings in the background to get the trades done.  EFC don't hold any key cards and they know it! 

I would like our club to play hardball with Hibberd but our round 2 pick (26 to 30) is probably a fair deal.  Would rather give that up than one of our budding youngsters.

I must confess I don't know a lot about Hibbered, but is he really worth the effort?

From what I've read here he had a problem playing last year because the opposition forced him on to the wrong foot and he had trouble adjusting.  Who would he keep out and where would he play, Key Position or Supporting Back?

I don't want to lose any of our existing players if it is for a minor upgrade, it would have to be a good trade or it might upset the dynamic of the group.

12 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Posturing by Diodoro! 

Nonetheless the AFL, player managers and players want a 'fuss free' transfer of players.  PR, AFL image, manager commissions, player contract $ will win the day.  (BTW Paul Connors is manager for Hurley, Hibberd, Melksham and Ryder.) 

From that article I reckon a deal has been done where the AFL and Connors have agreed to not go for the DFA/Grievance process but EFC had to agree to accept 'reasonable trades' and not drag it out like they did Ryder.  The AFL does not want that stalemate again so will be pulling the strings in the background to get the trades done.  EFC don't hold any key cards and they know it! 

I would like our club to play hardball with Hibberd but our round 2 pick (26 to 30) is probably a fair deal.  Would rather give that up than one of our budding youngsters.

I think he has Crameri too... interesting mix of players that are no longer or appear to want out of Ess.

Mate from the outside the Dons are trying to big ball it, whether they actually can is a different story. But the AFL will do what is can to "support" Ess in as many ways as it can... The other thing is that putting aside "no deal" Dodoro and his history I believe most clubs want a win win deal as they have to go back and trade again next year.

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Posturing by Diodoro! 

Dumb trade if we do give them a Salem......

It's not the call of the clubs , the managers Nor the AFL if  a player seeks the path of Grievance.Its the player's 

This is Essendon doing what it does best, spin bullshlt !!

I'd just love to see one have the moxy to put Windy Hill flat on its back and walk. Same said player(s) to instruct manager to do this or theyre sacked.

Likelihood ? Low.   But just maybe:unsure:

• Like 1

Just now, beelzebub said:

It's not the call of the clubs , the managers Nor the AFL if  a player seeks the path of Grievance.Its the player's 

This is Essendon doing what it does best, spin bullshlt !!

I'd just love to see one have the moxy to put Windy Hill flat on its back and walk. Same said player(s) to instruct manager to do this or theyre sacked.

Likelihood ? Low.   But just maybe:unsure:

could also be the afl non-transparently conspiring desirable "outcomes", bub. but they wouldn't do that. right?

Never DC....never :rolleyes::unsure:

The AFL didn't want Asada/Wada to win either. How'd that go for them again ?

Edited by beelzebub

15 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

could also be the afl non-transparently conspiring desirable "outcomes", bub. but they wouldn't do that. right?

dc I struggle to understand how you could even suspect such a thing.

We are after dealing with a very honourable group!!!!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, old dee said:

dc I struggle to understand how you could even suspect such a thing.

We are after dealing with a very honourable group!!!!

And i reckon we're doing very well too...

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

Probably still in awe of his own cheaper pies deal TF.

He'll a;ways be known for this fine achievement ( his only one ) :rolleyes:

Conceivably ,if a player is has suffered damage due to the actions of a club which then compounded injury by keeping him against his will or denying a reasonable trade then EFC could be sued for damages and restraint of trade,damage to reputation. as well as their sky high fee. Let's hope so.

1 minute ago, Biffen said:

Conceivably ,if a player is has suffered damage due to the actions of a club which then compounded injury by keeping him against his will or denying a reasonable trade then EFC could be sued for damages and restraint of trade,damage to reputation. as well as their sky high fee. Let's hope so.

Sadly it will not happen Biff.

these are not people of high conviction or they would not be in this position in the first place.

They will be bought off by the EFC / AFL

• Like 1

Barrett made some interesting comments on FC last night on Hibberd:

• Was at the game with an EFC official on Sunday
  • Went down to the rooms after the game
  • Family really wants him to stay.

The win vs GCS has encouraged EFC that they will keep him etc.

TBH I am delighted with our back six and our depth: 

• The stalwarts: Tom, Oscar, Nev, Sam, Jayden.  (I laugh at calling them stalwarts given their average age is about 22!!)
  • To come in: Melksham and Salem. 
  • Backups: Wagner, Bugg, M. Jones. 
  • Floaters: N. Jones, Vince. 

Even if Hunt and Salem move into the midfield that is a pretty exciting group to choose 6 each week.  They are proving they can do the job and there is heaps of improvement to come.  Our defence has gone ahead in leaps and bounds since Hibberd was first mooted. I think we have gone past needing him.

And, it sounds like Hibberd is still emotionally committed EFC.  Don't want a half-hearted player joining our team.

I hope he stays at EFC.  We can use our chips elsewhere!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Barrett made some interesting comments on FC last night on Hibberd:

• Was at the game with an EFC official on Sunday
  • Went down to the rooms after the game
  • Family really wants him to stay.

The win vs GCS has encouraged EFC that they will keep him etc.

TBH I am delighted with our back six and our depth: 

• The stalwarts: Tom, Oscar, Nev, Sam, Jayden.  (I laugh at calling them stalwarts given their average age is about 22!!)
  • To come in: Melksham and Salem. 
  • Backups: Wagner, Bugg, M. Jones. 
  • Floaters: N. Jones, Vince. 

Even if Hunt and Salem move into the midfield that is a pretty exciting group to choose 6 each week.  They are proving they can do the job and there is heaps of improvement to come.  Our defence has gone ahead in leaps and bounds since Hibberd was first mooted. I think we have gone past needing him.

And, it sounds like Hibberd is still emotionally committed EFC.  Don't want a half-hearted player joining our team.

I hope he stays at EFC.  We can use our chips elsewhere!

I reckon if the rumour regarding next years first pick was correct, they would be throwing themselves at it. Although, they may now think it will be closer to pick 18, than pick 1

What does it say about his family, if they are pushing him to stay with the club that injected him with illegal performance enhancing drugs?

I'm happy for him to stay with the drug cheats if that's what he chooses. Enjoy the stench of cheating driven failure Michael.

• Like 3