Two tossers take aim at Bugg

Demonland

7 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

Rance elbowed Jack Watts in the back or the head out of frustration. Tom Bugg merely nudged Riewoldt. Intent was completely different. Bugg was niggling, Rance was trying to hurt. I dare say that if both of those instances were taken to a court of law - that Rance would be charged (and probably jailed), and Bugg would walk away with a slap on the wrist. Obviously there is a big difference between these two incidents.

Bugg has no idea the extent of Riewoldt's injury - would you so Blase if it was Fyfe who had a fractured leg ?

Anywho - it seems we have to agree to disagree ( and when I say we I mean you disagree with the rules, the tribunal, the club and the player himself who was crystal clear what he thought of his own actions)

• Like 1

I don't mind niggle. I don't mind getting in your opponent's face. I don't mind giving stick. I don't mind 'unsociable football'. I don't mind sticking up for your teammates.

But I draw the line at showboating, and I especially draw the line at physical contact with an injured played who is hobbling off. It doesn't show 'character', it shows the opposite.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

I don't mind niggle. I don't mind getting in your opponent's face. I don't mind giving stick. I don't mind 'unsociable football'. I don't mind sticking up for your teammates.

But I draw the line at showboating, and I especially draw the line at physical contact with an injured played who is hobbling off. It doesn't show 'character', it shows the opposite.

Can't disagree with anything you've said here.

But I still love Bugg. In the red and the blue, that is.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

I remember Brian Wilson showboating after kicking a goal and then his opponent pointing to the scoreboard and reminding him that we were 10 goals down. 

2 hours ago, mauriesy said:

Couldn't agree more Mauriesy.  What Bugg did to Reiwoldt was just cowardly.  What are you proving my having a go at an injured player who is in the hands of the trainers.  Bugg, the Club and the footy public knows it's wrong.  If Crowley had done it to Hogan the approach of DL would be totally different.

The showboating from a player like Bugg is also pretty silly.  He's a player of limited skill who's main attribute seems to be to get under the skin of opposition players.  That won't be good enough to keep his spot in this team.  

I don't want a player of limited ability acting like a big headed coward representing my club.  I hope he gets dropped this week as discipline from the Club (no public comment necessary but I'd tell the AFL what I'm doing) and I hope he learns.  He's got something to offer but it's got to be in the right context.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mauriesy said:

Shoving injured players you'd hope doesn't become habit, but what's wrong with a little bit of showboating? It's not like he overdid it. Buggy isn't a star of the team and he knows it. So he plays it up when he kicks a goal. So what? I thought the shush to the Tigers cheers squad was fantastic and hope he doesn't tone it down too much in future.

It's the same reasoning for why I love Garlett: swagger. Christ knows it's been a while since we've had anything resembling it.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Couldn't agree more Mauriesy.  What Bugg did to Reiwoldt was just cowardly.  What are you proving my having a go at an injured player who is in the hands of the trainers.  Bugg, the Club and the footy public knows it's wrong.  If Crowley had done it to Hogan the approach of DL would be totally different.

The showboating from a player like Bugg is also pretty silly.  He's a player of limited skill who's main attribute seems to be to get under the skin of opposition players.  That won't be good enough to keep his spot in this team.  

I don't want a player of limited ability acting like a big headed coward representing my club.  I hope he gets dropped this week as discipline from the Club (no public comment necessary but I'd tell the AFL what I'm doing) and I hope he learns.  He's got something to offer but it's got to be in the right context.

Oh please, as if they're going to drop him. They'd love that he's got a bit of niggle about him.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

I agree with all except the dropping.

Apparently the club made it's displeasure known to Bugg regarding the Reiwoldt incident and Bugg got on the front foot and apologised.

To me, matter closed and we move on.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh please, as if they're going to drop him. They'd love that he's got a bit of niggle about him.

I agree, and I doubt that Richmond would drop Rance if he had have been lucky enough to be not suspended for his efforts.

Also was Rance the one who tapped Watts on the back a little time after the infamous incident?

1 minute ago, willmoy said:

I agree, and I doubt that Richmond would drop Rance if he had have been lucky enough to be not suspended for his efforts.

Also was Rance the one who tapped Watts on the back a little time after the infamous incident?

Yes it was - someone mentioned it was "another go"  - I saw it differently....

35 minutes ago, nutbean said:

I agree with all except the dropping.

Apparently the club made it's displeasure known to Bugg regarding the Reiwoldt incident and Bugg got on the front foot and apologised.

To me, matter closed and we move on.

If the Club made its displeasure known Bugg's apology is lessened.  Buggs collective actions were "all about Bugg".  That's not team orientated which he acknowledged.

There are lots of players banging the door down and Bugg is one who could make way.  Dropping him would be very harsh but it would make a statement to the rest of the list.

And it would make space for Petracca!:)

Dropping Bugg would only happen if the playing group did not agree with his actions.

Showboating and the niggle was a little bit about Bugg and i'm sure he regrets the Riewoldt bump but I also think it provides the team with confidence to see that there is a guy out on the park saying i'm not afraid to take the game and opposition on.

He apologised for the Reiwoldt push which in reality was minor and apart from that I think he was influential in the win. If he can put key players of their game and snag a few sausage rolls whilst doing it then he is a valuable asset.

We have been the nice, sociable Demons for 10 years and getting our butt kicked.

If Tommy Bugg wants to play unsociable footy & irritate the opposition then I say go for it.

All he did was give a bit to the Richmond cheer squad & upset whinging Jack.

He hasn't injured anyone, unlike some so called champs who like sneaky knees & elbows.

• Like 7

It is not often that I take the advice of Taylor Swift. But in this case ... "Tossers gonna toss, toss, toss, toss, toss, toss .. shake it off, shake it off". If some precious media ponies (who are paid by the opinion) don't like his showboating, so what? I think his push on Riewoldt was too far, but he has apologised for it, so we move on. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GM11 said:

We have been the nice, sociable Demons for 10 years and getting our butt kicked.

If Tommy Bugg wants to play unsociable footy & irritate the opposition then I say go for it.

All he did was give a bit to the Richmond cheer squad & upset whinging Jack.

He hasn't injured anyone, unlike some so called champs who like sneaky knees & elbows.

I agree. All the great sides of the last few years have had an antagonist or two. Steve Johnson at Geelong, Jordan Lewis at Hawthorn and the Scott brothers at Brisbane are examples. Sheedy always made sure he had a mongrel or two in his successful Essendon sides.

Sure, Bugg isn't as good a footballer as any of the above but he brings an element of edge and nastiness to our team we haven't had for a very long time. Kent, Viney, Vince and Harmes are also getting into the "unsociable" act. Its great to see!

Dropping Bugg for his misdemeanour is ridiculous and would be one of the most stupid spirit deflating actions a club could do if it were to take place. Don't know how anyone could be serious with this suggestion. Might as well suspend all the players involved in the melee if it come to this.  

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 10

The pushing an injured player isn't a great look, but the showboating is gold and there isn't enough of it. Yes it can backfire but it's all part of psychological warfare to fire up your team and supporters and knock down the opposition. I love it and want to see more of it.

Also want to see more niggle. Love that Buggy and Kent and some others give it to the opposition and have that arrogance about them. We've been push overs for too long.

I've noticed if Nathan Jones gets into a scrap, his teammates charge in to support and get fired up. Every match Jonesy gets into a decent scrap, we win. I've kept track and now when I watch I sit there hoping Jones starts a scrap because then I know we'll win haha

• Like 6

Would love to see a win loss ratio with the games where we've been involved in a scrap. We seem to be pushing an aggressive, physical mindset as part of our plan to throw the opposition off their game and force turnovers all over the ground. Then, while distracted, we have speedy defenders in Lumumba and Hunt driving the ball forward to our smalls in Kennedy, Hunt and Garlett who capitalise on the situation.

Brilliant if intentional and working a treat with our 2016 game style. It all fits together perfectly with our plethora of inside, aggressive midfield bulls.

I know it is personal preference but I don't like showboating.

We talk about unsociable footballers but their is a major difference between unsociable football and showboating.  Jack Viney and Bernie Vince play uncompromising football with Bernie walking a fine line and on occasion stepping over it. I noticed Hunt jumped straight into the fray as did Salem and Dunn and we have footballers who won't take a backwards step either. I have no problem with this. On Sunday night we played uncompromising football.

Yappy little irritating footballers ? I don't like them in other teams so I am not sure why I would like one in our team like Bugg. (Note - that is not to be confused with his hard at it approach to the ball and the man and his love of the tough ball and the tackle - I love that in Bugg and I love that in Kennedy)  

1 minute ago, nutbean said:

I know it is personal preference but I don't like showboating.

We talk about unsociable footballers but their is a major difference between unsociable football and showboating.  Jack Viney and Bernie Vince play uncompromising football with Bernie walking a fine line and on occasion stepping over it. I noticed Hunt jumped straight into the fray as did Salem and Dunn and we have footballers who won't take a backwards step either. I have no problem with this. On Sunday night we played uncompromising football.

Yappy little irritating footballers ? I don't like them in other teams so I am not sure why I would like one in our team like Bugg. (Note - that is not to be confused with his hard at it approach to the ball and the man and his love of the tough ball and the tackle - I love that in Bugg and I love that in Kennedy)  

It's okay to tut tut if that's your personal preference, so long as you don't also bemoan the lack of characters in the game. That sort of double standard makes no sense to me.

i wouldn't underestimate the spirit that Bugg has injected into the side, which is bringing results, and with that comes the whole package which will include the odd finger pointing at goal. Consider it a trade off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, P-man said:

It's okay to tut tut if that's your personal preference, so long as you don't also bemoan the lack of characters in the game. That sort of double standard makes no sense to me.

i wouldn't underestimate the spirit that Bugg has injected into the side, which is bringing results, and with that comes the whole package which will include the odd finger pointing at goal. Consider it a trade off.

lots of different characters in the game - Gawn is character, Lumumba - the way he plays the game - he is a character. I don't mind shows of strength and a bit of argy bargy - but how can I dislike Ballantyne with a passion for his behavior yet think it is alright just because it is replicated by someone in our team. As i said previously, I don't mind players that walk the fine line but irritating players - well.. they irritate me ! 

Bugg said this about the Reiwoldt incident -  It actually makes me cringe when I watch the footage. At the time I didn't really think of the consequences and what would come from it."

I agree 100% with what he said

On his finger pointing he said this  "Now looking back on it, it seems like I was putting the focus on myself and that doesn't really sit too well with me.

"Where the team's gone this year, we've been really team-orientated in our focus and that's what has got us our three wins so far and that's what's put us in a good place for the year to come."

I agree 100% with what he said.

I expect he will be just as annoying going forward but a little more subtle in his approach and that's ok with me.

I saw him getting into Maric when he was comprehensively outmark by Gawny and then Gawny kicked the goal - getting into his head - i can live with that.

I guess it is where you draw the line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

BB - agree with the opinion that it was poor form by Bugg to push Reiwoldt, however I disagree with the rest.  This club needs hard heads with character, mongrel and attitude.  Bugg plays his part and his team mates will love him for it.  Bug has played a couple of games and you describe him as a player of limited ability!!!  I guess your knowledge is superior to that of Roos, Goodwin and MCartney.   

Big headed coward are your words, FFS how long have you been watching AFL?  Reiwoldt serves it up to our players every time we play them and he has showboated numerous times.  

I don't know you from a bar of soap, but I do know that the MFC has had sand kicked in their collective faces for 10 years and frankly I love Bugg in our team.  This club is finally moving in the right direction and needs a hard edge as part of that, those who want to have tea and scones and want a Gentile game time has past you by.  This is Melbourne under Roos, Goodwin and Co.

all power to Tommy Bugg types who help us win games.

• Like 2