Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CASEY SCORPIONS v WILLIAMSTOWN

KC from Casey

26 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Could Jack Trengove be in line for the 1's next week?

I think supporters need to get their head around that this year we have moved away from being a club who each week looks to promote from the VFL to a club that has players in the VFL playing good football who have to wait their turn for an injury or any sort of form slump from a senior.

In the past ANB, Michie and Grimes would probably already be playing, we would be considering Trengove and possibly even Weidman or Hulett. This season ( with the big disclaimer, that the last two weeks effort is the benchmark) we need to accept that players that are in good VFL form won't get a call up.

• Like 1

Look the questions on whether there is a place in the 22 for Trenners is more to do with the current 22. They keep performing, then anyone in the VFL will struggle to get into the side. 

It also means players will know they need to take their chances with both hands when they come. 

8 minutes ago, Pates said:

Look the questions on whether there is a place in the 22 for Trenners is more to do with the current 22. They keep performing, then anyone in the VFL will struggle to get into the side. 

It also means players will know they need to take their chances with both hands when they come. 

Its quite nice to feel like a real footy club again

Just wanted to thank Angry at Casey for his report from last night's game - it's always nice when someone just tells it how it is in a balanced, informative style.

Hope you can attend most of our VFL games and I'll now be looking for your reports - sorry I suspect you have been doing it for a while, but I generally don't take note of who writes what unless they say something ridiculous or sensible.

Because your comments were so well balanced, it's easier to feel confident that what you are saying is on the money.

Quite obviously last night was not a good night to be missing so many of our key talls and yes I had noted at last week's VFL game that Mitch King has a lot of work to do if he is going to make it as a ruckman and that's even allowing for the fact that his pre-season has been so badly hindered by injury. But the good thing is that he still has a bit of time to make some headway - this time last year a lot of us had become dubious about whether Jayden Hunt would survive into 2016 and pleasingly he's got his body right and we are now getting the chance to see if his kicking is going to stand up to AFL level which will ultimately determine whether he makes it as the running defender.

Regardless of tonight's result, it will be another interesting selection night next week with Oliver, Petracca and 23rd man Neal-Bullen all looking for a game in the middle.

If you have time was Garland playing as a key tall, or the third tall defender. With so many out (especially the loss of Oscar from down back), I imagine Hutchins took their tallest big and Col had to play on their next biggest, which can limit the amount freedom you have to play the intercept marking role? To me, the arrival of Wagner as our third mobile tall defender along with the flexibility that H provides means that Col's best chance of getting back into the side is to replace Dunn as the second tall defender behind T-Mac.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Just wanted to thank Angry at Casey for his report from last night's game - it's always nice when someone just tells it how it is in a balanced, informative style.

Hope you can attend most of our VFL games and I'll now be looking for your reports - sorry I suspect you have been doing it for a while, but I generally don't take note of who writes what unless they say something ridiculous or sensible.

Because your comments were so well balanced, it's easier to feel confident that what you are saying is on the money.

Quite obviously last night was not a good night to be missing so many of our key talls and yes I had noted at last week's VFL game that Mitch King has a lot of work to do if he is going to make it as a ruckman and that's even allowing for the fact that his pre-season has been so badly hindered by injury. But the good thing is that he still has a bit of time to make some headway - this time last year a lot of us had become dubious about whether Jayden Hunt would survive into 2016 and pleasingly he's got his body right and we are now getting the chance to see if his kicking is going to stand up to AFL level which will ultimately determine whether he makes it as the running defender.

Regardless of tonight's result, it will be another interesting selection night next week with Oliver, Petracca and 23rd man Neal-Bullen all looking for a game in the middle.

If you have time was Garland playing as a key tall, or the third tall defender. With so many out (especially the loss of Oscar from down back), I imagine Hutchins took their tallest big and Col had to play on their next biggest, which can limit the amount freedom you have to play the intercept marking role? To me, the arrival of Wagner as our third mobile tall defender along with the flexibility that H provides means that Col's best chance of getting back into the side is to replace Dunn as the second tall defender behind T-Mac.

Garland seemed to be playing as the 2nd key defender and a Casey listed debutant Gordon seemed to be playing the loose man/intercept mark role. Would of preferred these two to be switched, but even if they couldn't, i'd of liked to see Garland peel off his man a bit more like Josh Gibson does.

Col's one on one defensive work wasn't bad, but it's never really been an issue of his.

Not sure who he played on as i wasn't able to get a record sorry.

Always happy to write those reports a d i try to be fair and balanced to all. And will get to as many of the home games as possible.

Oh and in response to another posters earlier question about whether Hulett went into the ruck at all? No he didn't, it was just King & the Casey ruckman.

Edited by AngryAtCasey

3 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Yes Rjay but I doubt they would have so many.

They would have exactly the same number, you'd think, since their AFL lists are the same size as ours and their VFL team has to also field the same number as our VFL team.

Obviously Casey fields a dev league team too, but I doubt Petracca and co spend much time with those fellas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 3Dee said:

thanks for these earnest match reviews to those in attendance, much appreciated!

Agree as well

Jeez. Trengove isn't Sam Mitchell. No-one's Sam Mitchell. In fact you have to be SM to get away with being THAT slow.

You can't just say Mitchell is good, therefore Trengove will be good. The league is littered with stories of players who were super smart and talented, good ball users, who because of pace weren't able to swing up and down the ground to get to enough contests to play both ways. He could play deep in defense or deep in attack, and be a presence. Noone here, not even the negative nancies, actively DON'T want Trengove in the side. But be realistic. He's up against it. Nothing would make me happier than seeing him transform into a handballing clearance machine playing between the arcs. And if there was a list of names that had the "smarts" to play that role, Trengove would be near the top of it on our list. But we're a slow side already, screaming out for pace. Trengove could get 20-25 good touches in the forward line... doesn't mean much against the WC and Saints of this world who cash you the other way. Engine or no engine. You can't hide a slow guy in the AFL.

I hope I'm wrong. He wouldn't need to pick up much more pace to be of use. And no... 30 touches in a VFL game doesn't mean he's quick. Doesn't mean squat actually.

9 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Garland seemed to be playing as the 2nd key defender and a Casey listed debutant Gordon seemed to be playing the loose man/intercept mark role. Would of preferred these two to be switched, but even if they couldn't, i'd of liked to see Garland peel off his man a bit more like Josh Gibson does.

Col's one on one defensive work wasn't bad, but it's never really been an issue of his.

Not sure who he played on as i wasn't able to get a record sorry.

Always happy to write those reports a d i try to be fair and balanced to all. And will get to as many of the home games as possible.

Oh and in response to another posters earlier question about whether Hulett went into the ruck at all? No he didn't, it was just King & the Casey ruckman.

That was me, thanks for the response. Really appreciate your efforts.

Stats (such as they are). These are from a regular, who updates them each week on BF. Can't vouch for the reliability of the source, though they seem around the mark:

Garland 19d 15k 4h 7m
Grimes 21d 6k 15h 1G
Hulett 6d 5k 1h 4G
Max King 11d 5k 6h 2g 
Michie 28d 19k 9h
Newton 22d 3k 19h
Petracca 26d 11k 15h
Stretch 20d 12k 8h
Terlich 19d 14k 5h
Trengove 30d 14k 16h 2G
Weideman 12d 6k 6h 2G
White 21d 12k 9h

An interesting article from Paul Amy who is usually quite good so you'll have to excuse his reference to "Jackson Trengove". As predicted, Casey's lack of ruck strength was critical. Willi tall Nick Meese had 62 hit-outs and 12 disposals against first gamer Oscar McInerney and Max King who is being earmarked more as a forward than in the ruck. The more experienced and bigger bodied Seagulls were too strong.

The official statistics are now available:-

Colin Garland 22 disposals 15  kicks 7 handballs 7 marks 4 tackles 94 dream team points
Jack Grimes 1 goal 22 disposals 6 kicks 16 handballs 4 marks 5 tackles 80 dream team points
Liam Hulett 4 goals 1 behind 7 disposals 6 kicks 1 handballs 3 marks 48 dream team points
Max King 2 goals 11 disposals 6 kicks 5 handballs 2 marks 4 tackles 25 hit outs 88 dream team points
Viv Michie 27 disposals 19 kicks 8 handballs 6 marks 2 tackles 94 dream team points
Ben Newton 20 disposals 12 kicks 8 handballs 4 marks 4 tackles 74 dream team points
Christian Petracca 23 disposals 11 kicks 12 handballs 6 marks 3 tackles 4 hit outs 89 dream team points
Billy Stretch 20 disposals 13 kicks 7 handballs 1 marks 11 tackles 99 dream team points
Dean Terlich 21 disposals 14 kicks 7 handballs 6 marks 9 tackles 91 dream team points
Jack Trengove 2 goals 30 disposals 14 kicks 16 handballs 4 marks 10 tackles 140 dream team points
Sam Weideman 2 goals 10 disposals 5 kicks 5 handballs 5 marks 1 tackle 56 dream team points
Mitch White 18 disposals 11 kicks 7 handballs 4 marks 4 tackles 73 dream team points
  • Like 2

Thanks for those stat's KC greatly appreciated, looks like JT had a pearler 140 dream team points, I spotted him in the Ryder Room Sunday night surrounded by Dee supporters and he looks in top shape. However it won't be Tyson that will be replaced as I thought Dom played his best game so far for MFC against the Tiges on Sunday night but there will always be an opening for a tough, smart player like JT in the Dee's line up. Go Casey Go Dee's

On 24/4/2016 at 5:33 PM, Nasher said:

They would have exactly the same number, you'd think, since their AFL lists are the same size as ours and their VFL team has to also field the same number as our VFL team.

Obviously Casey fields a dev league team too, but I doubt Petracca and co spend much time with those fellas.

Agreed Nasher, Not a single Melbourne player has played in the dev league so the number of casey players in the team would be exactly the same

On 4/23/2016 at 11:54 PM, AngryAtCasey said:

Went along tonight and all I can say is outside the bacon & egg rolls and a very entertaining 1st term it was a very disappointing performance. Credit to Williamstown who were very good. They put a lot of pressure on the Scorpions and their bigger bodies were to much over the course of the game. Lead got out to 32 points early in the 3rd term, however the Scorps fought back to get within 14 until skill errors killed off any chance of a win and the Gulls ran away with it.

I thought the night was summed up when late in the 4th term a ball came out the back of a marking contest around Casey's half forward line. Petracca & Newton were the first two back and Newton took possession first. CP5 was looking for the handball which didn't come. Newton kept running while CP5 lost sight of a gulls player he went to sheppard who was then able to run down Newton to stop what should have been a certain goal.

Anyway, here's how i thought the players fared:

Christian Petracca: One of our best, however I don't think he smashed the door down for selection like many of us would have liked. Still makes some skill errors when trying to pull off a sceptical pass, but he'll tidy that yp. He does some really special things though, and his team mates were really looking for him. Sometimes too much. He'll get his chance soon, but if there was only one change for next week I'd say it'd be Oliver in before Petracca.

Jack Trengove: Our most consistent over the 4 quarters and his first term was the trenners of old! I forgot how good he is off his left and it's great to see him progressing so well. His pace isn't super but he didn't look slower then anyone else out there. Reckon he could push for selection within a fortnight if he continues tonight's form.

Billy Stretch: I really like Billy. His old man was my first favorite player as a kid. But he had a stinker tonight! He turned it over quite a few times and got caught a few times to. To be fair to him, a lot of his mistakes he made were made when he was trying to create some run which the team severely lacked. He'll be ok Billy, but tonight wasn't his night.

Ben Newton: Got a couple of early touches and kicked a beautiful pass to Hulett for the opening goal of the game which had me thinking he was in for a good one. Boy was i wrong! Hate to say it, but it seemed like he stuffed up a good 2/3's of his possessions for the night. And he didn't have many at that! To be fair it's only his 2nd game back, but he looked better on the tape last week.

Colin Garland: Tonight was a night for the Garland haters. He was ordinary. Given the Gulls advantage in the ruck/clearances, it was important to have someone like Col stand up and be our wall in the backline and cut off as many of their forward thrusts as possible. This didn't happen! On top of that he turned it over more often then normal. During the 3rd quarter after we'd fought back to within 14 points, Col had three kicks in the spaace of about 5-8 minutes. These kicks went - 1 Out on the full. 2 Over Trengove's head and out of bounds. Trenners could of had a run if he'd been hit up. 3 Straight to a Williamstown player. At least two of these directly resulted in Williamstown goals. Then if things couldn't get any worse, in the final term he did well to make a contest near the goal line & spoil a mark. However instead of punching it through for a point, he punched it towards the boundary where a Williamstown player gathered and snapped a goal. Can't see Col getting back in anytime soon.

Viv Michie: Was ok, however Viv seems to suffer a bit of the Trent Cotchin's. By that i mean he can rack up possessions  but his impact doesn't seem to be significant. He's a few rungs down the midfield pecking order is Viv.

Sam Weideman: Battled or night The Weed, and i was happy to see him kick a late goal (his 2nd) as it was well deserved. He gets to a lot of contests and gets his hands to a lot of balls. Next step will be to start taking a few more, but considering he often had numbers dropping back on him i thought he competed really well and used his body nicely. He'll be a player!

Liam Hulett: Really pleased for the kid. Round 1 v Frankston i thought he looked a little lost. Thought he looked a lot more confident Round 2 and tonight was very impressive with him kicking 4. Probably should have been 5. What's also good as that some were opportunistic while some were from strong marks. Hulett & Trengove's performances were the best things of the night.

Jack Grimes: On a where we severely lacked outside run, i thought Grimes game was very poor. While Stretch made several errors trying to provide something, i thought Grimes went missing big time tonight. 

Mitch White: One of our better players. Used the ball probably the best of anyone and defended well. Didn't get enough of the ball however, and given he's such a good kick, they need to figure out how to get it to him more. Provided Casey's biggest highlight of the 2nd term (there weren't many) with a 65-70m torp from behind the centre circle deep into the forward line. Is ahead of Garland for mine.

Dean Terlich: Another Terlich game. Probably provided Casey the most run they had from the back line, however he turned it over a few too many times. We all know what a Terlich game looks like.

Max King: Was monstered in the ruck and it's concerning that in his 3rd year it still seems as though he hasn't put on any physical size. Kicked a couple of goals and is capable of some special things, but i don't know if he'll make it? If he's going to, he needs to be able to compete in the ruck better then what he did today.

The return of Spencer will be huge for the Scorps as they really struggled in the ruck tonight. They also missed Neal-Bullen around the stoppages i thought. And finally, so it doesn't sound like i'm only picking on the Melbourne players, i thought the Casey players as a whole were very poor tonight outside of Hutchins and maybe Munro who was ok. Special mention in the poor player category to Pattison who was in the best last week, but made sveral errors tonight.

Happy to take any questions. Sorry about the late post, but my son woke up just after I got home.

Viv Michie: Viv was solid on Saturday night. He’s probably been our most consistent player over the past three weeks. We’re playing him in different roles at the moment, but his output is very pleasing. He ended up having 28 possessions and went inside 50 seven times. He’s giving us a lot of mid-forward connection. There was some stuff with his ball movement, where we would’ve liked him to be a little bit cleaner. His effort around his role and his intensity around the game was really solid. He’s been in really good form in the past three weeks.

Seems the Casey coaching panel sees more than you in Viv's impact. Played half back in the 1st and 2nd quarters but still managed more inside 50s (7) than Trengove (3) , Petracca (3) and Grimes (4). From watching the replay on the MFC page he had one turnover and 2 ineffective disposals. Still he needs to kick more goals.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Samael said:

Viv Michie: Viv was solid on Saturday night. He’s probably been our most consistent player over the past three weeks. We’re playing him in different roles at the moment, but his output is very pleasing. He ended up having 28 possessions and went inside 50 seven times. He’s giving us a lot of mid-forward connection. There was some stuff with his ball movement, where we would’ve liked him to be a little bit cleaner. His effort around his role and his intensity around the game was really solid. He’s been in really good form in the past three weeks.

Seems the Casey coaching panel sees more than you in Viv's impact. Played half back in the 1st and 2nd quarters but still managed more inside 50s (7) than Trengove (3) , Petracca (3) and Grimes (4). From watching the replay on the MFC page he had one turnover and 2 ineffective disposals. Still he needs to kick more goals.  

Samuel where do you see Viv?  When he came a few years ago our midfield stocks were very low but now they appear to be overflowing.  Viney, Vince, Jones, Oliver, Brayshaw, AVB, Trengove, Tyson and ANB all seem to be in front of him.  Then there are the forward/mids/winger types like Kennedy, Harmes, Kent, Stretch, M Jones and Petracca all competing for spots he might fill.

It's hard to see him getting a go and it must be hard for him to maintain his enthusiasm.  Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Samael said:

I don't advertise myself as being any type of prophet or knowing exactly what the coaching group are looking for.  All I commented on were my observations on Saturday Night.  As I said, I didn't say he was bad, but for me he didn't impose himself on the game to the extent Trengove or even Petracca did who stood out like a sore thumb when he got the pill.

If the coaching staff were happy with Viv's game then that's a good thing and I wish him well at breaking into the seniors.  But for me he's been solid without being great and I thought he was better Round 1 then he was Round 3, but that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Samuel where do you see Viv?  When he came a few years ago our midfield stocks were very low but now they appear to be overflowing.  Viney, Vince, Jones, Oliver, Brayshaw, AVB, Trengove, Tyson and ANB all seem to be in front of him.  Then there are the forward/mids/winger types like Kennedy, Harmes, Kent, Stretch, M Jones and Petracca all competing for spots he might fill.

It's hard to see him getting a go and it must be hard for him to maintain his enthusiasm.  Any thoughts?

No idea Bob. I think he is capable in the middle and his numbers seem to back it up. I personally have him ahead of a few mids you mention but obviously what I or any fan thinks means SFA. I am also pretty biased but try to be balanced in my overall assessment. I cannot keep an eye on all the players like some can so I tend to pick two or three to watch in a game. I did not see the game live Saturday so am going on others reviews and observations. On demonland the two I tend to follow most had little to say about him and so I was surprised that the Coaches review was very positive.  I noticed from the replay Casey had him at HBF on Saturday night so maybe that's where they are thinking he could end up.