Weeds (Is it time)?

picket fence

9 minutes ago, Devil is in the Detail said:

We are going up against one of the taller forward lines the competition and you want to take McDonald out of the back line. Maybe have to add Frost. Don't think Garland can take a tall forward either.

Yep Pedo goes back, Frost TBC!

We are far too conservative! The coach is conservative and so too are the naysayers, lets take some chances and roll the dice!

We have too many players that are easily pleased and do not play to requirements!

Time to break the shackles!

I will present a "Fence Special" team to take on Norf later!

And it'l be a doozy!

Edited by picket fence

22 minutes ago, picket fence said:

We are far too conservative! The coach is conservative and so too are the naysayers, lets take some chances and roll the dice!

We have too many players that are easily pleased and do not play to requirements!

And it'l be a doozy!

I wanted Brayshaw in round 1 last year.  I wanted Oliver in round 1 this year.  I don't want Weideman in the senior side because he's not ready. 

It's got nothing to do with conservatism, more having a feeling for the game. 

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 3

Hogan needs to start the game somewhere where he needs to run and present for the ball where he is not crowded, centre half forward or centre half back. I suggest CHB because he more likely to see more of the ball there. Weeds at HFF,  Watts at CHF,  Vince HFF,  Galrett at FF.  Once Hogan has got into the game then switch him to centre half forward so that he does not just end up at the bottom of a pack again.

3 hours ago, Deecisive said:

Hogan needs to start the game somewhere where he needs to run and present for the ball where he is not crowded, centre half forward or centre half back. I suggest CHB because he more likely to see more of the ball there. Weeds at HFF,  Watts at CHF,  Vince HFF,  Galrett at FF.  Once Hogan has got into the game then switch him to centre half forward so that he does not just end up at the bottom of a pack again.

Not Garlett.  PETRACCA!  Petracca plays as the undersized FF with instructions to roam the 50 but not too far up the ground so he doesn't wear himself out. 

19 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Not Garlett.  PETRACCA!  Petracca plays as the undersized FF with instructions to roam the 50 but not too far up the ground so he doesn't wear himself out. 

I wont mind petracca and have suggested he come in, but most people here seem to think he needs a few weeks to cook in the VFL, I would still prefer him to play this week even half baked.

9 minutes ago, Deecisive said:

I wont mind petracca and have suggested he come in, but most people here seem to think he needs a few weeks to cook in the VFL, I would still prefer him to play this week even half baked.

In all honesty I would prefer we wait a few more for him, but if you're looking for an undersized FF, I think he's the man. 

On 4 April 2016 at 8:34 PM, picket fence said:

To all those who have asked "What Drug I am taking"??

Its called "taking your chances" Drug! Its a great Drug coz the potential for a Buzz is irresistable!!

So we have a very good player, albet a young player who has shown some excellent signs

1 He leads well

2 He kicks well

3 He likes the physicality of the contest

4 He is big

Ok, so move Hogan up the ground, Move Watts to FF and put Weeds beside him. With Garlett at feet. Instruct the HF Line to play more towards the centre to create space!

Let's be a bit more adventurous!

As we have seen many teams can bring in first year players from round 1 and they make an impact!

Why not this kid????

Macartin is struggling to get a kick and he had bigger  wraps  than Weed , he won't be ready to next year.

23 hours ago, picket fence said:

In Answer to your questions Why can a club like Western Bulldogs be able to afford a stand alone team and us not??

If this club really wants tro get anywhere it will "Find" this money and make it happen! Profesional football clubs are biting the bullet and reaping the benefits ( Bulldogs again)  Others might know how much extra money iot takes and the answer if verified might surprise you Angry at Casey!

Re Ground ,well ,do you really think we have a solid supporter base of supporters at Cranbourne and environs??

If Punt Rd is out of the question and I don't see how it would be Why not consider Princess Park or even Victoria Park if available , better surfaces, better atmiosphere and surely much better venues than Bloody cold, and windy Casey Fields??

# edit: I agree with your stand alone Ideas.  but out around the Casey region.

Casey is fine pf... the trouble of growing a support base out there is us pulling our payers out late in the season.  Betraying all those who attend all year,  only to see their hopes & wishes totally drowned in this betrayal.

It is our past recent practices of causing Casey to fall from the top end of the ladder,  that has damaged things,  as well as building that Casey-Fields building extension with a moat around it,  keeping people segregated & feeling isolated,  & out of the loop.

You cannot engage people like this.

Edited by dee-luded

4 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

Casey is fine pf... the trouble of growing a support base out there is us pulling our payers out late in the season.  Betraying all those who attend all year,  only to see their hopes & wishes totally drowned in this betrayal.

It is our past recent practices of causing Casey to fall from the top end of the ladder,  that has damaged things,  as well as building that extension with a moat around it,  keeping people segregated & feeling isolated,  & out of the loop.

You cannot engage people like this.

Ok so, if we field a ressies team and they make finals are we going to pull players then??

Nup I think not! Casey is a very short term fix and not a sustainable ioption for long term stability and football governance. As Melbourne FC Reserves we have full and total control over our players, coaching staff, philosophy and all football related matters. I'm not sure we have this under the current arrangement!

On 4/3/2016 at 7:44 PM, Return to Glory said:

The Watts debut has made us gun shy. Supporters are reluctant to throw players in the deep end because of this. I'd argue that the club made a rod for its back by almost showcasing its messiah. There would be nowhere near the same level of scrutiny for a Weideman or a Petracca. And if they don't perform from game one, so what? We are not going to win the Premiership or play finals so let's get them in to gain the experience.

Watts was completely different, drafted as an underage kid, still in VCE, hadn't played under 18's etc - then you've got the marketing BS the club did

Having said that no I wouldn't bring in Weideman, maybe towards the end of the year for a game or two like OMac last year unless he's banging down the door in the VFL.

15 hours ago, picket fence said:

And it'l be a doozy!

I'm all a tingle with anticipation!

18 hours ago, picket fence said:

Paddy Mc Cartin is a different body shape and IMV Overweight!

Either way he has performed well in reserves competition and is still struggling at AFL level. Does Weid have the strength yet? Probably not. Does he have the fitness required? Almost certainly not. Does he have form in the 2's to demand a spot? Not yet. 

What box has he ticked that makes him deserving of a debut? We do play young players if we think they can impact such as Brayshaw and Oliver, we even give players games for experience such as ANB, Stretch and O Mac who got games after injuries and form in the VFL. 

Weid has barely any experience at state level, missed a lot of last year, is underdeveloped at the moment and is yet to earn a spot in any capacity other than him being a high draft pick. What sort of selection policy is that? It isn't daring or exciting because it's not like he will come in against the Roos and shake things up and be a matchup problem. Hardly high risk-high reward stuff, just high risk, very little reward for either the player and the club.

• Like 4

The problem we've got, and have had for some time, is that the Casey alignment is simply not working. I can't think of a single player who has spent a decent amount of time at Casey, developed his game, and then come into the senior side ready to go.

We have either had guys like Brayshaw walk straight into the senior team from day 1 and do well, or we have to throw guys like Oscar in at the deep end and hope they swim. Casey has done nothing at all for the likes of Hunt and Harmes, and you could argue that Stretch and Neal-Bullen are heading down the same track.

The likelihood of Weideman and Hulett spending a year or two at Casey and coming the other side as ready made players is infinitesimally small. Perhaps not yet, but at some point we will have to give these guys senior games and develop them that way.

16 minutes ago, poita said:

The problem we've got, and have had for some time, is that the Casey alignment is simply not working. I can't think of a single player who has spent a decent amount of time at Casey, developed his game, and then come into the senior side ready to go.

We have either had guys like Brayshaw walk straight into the senior team from day 1 and do well, or we have to throw guys like Oscar in at the deep end and hope they swim. Casey has done nothing at all for the likes of Hunt and Harmes, and you could argue that Stretch and Neal-Bullen are heading down the same track.

The likelihood of Weideman and Hulett spending a year or two at Casey and coming the other side as ready made players is infinitesimally small. Perhaps not yet, but at some point we will have to give these guys senior games and develop them that way.

You could say the same about Box Hill and Hawthorn...how many players have spent a year or 2 at Box Hill in the current Hawks team despite the myth?

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Ok so, if we field a ressies team and they make finals are we going to pull players then??

Nup I think not! Casey is a very short term fix and not a sustainable ioption for long term stability and football governance. As Melbourne FC Reserves we have full and total control over our players, coaching staff, philosophy and all football related matters. I'm not sure we have this under the current arrangement!

Casey is meant to be a long-term fix,  to solve the lack of a suburban-regional home,  for the tribalism that comes from this stuff.   You cannot survive on MCC as a post code. 

Especially since they let the bummers, pies, tigers, blues, & saints supporters,  within the moat.

We have no grass roots support base,  & will not unless we expand outward & throw a wider net.

We've lost our dynasty type family based supporter groups over the last 50 years of modern MCC type cultural rule,   its strangled us like the politically correct Python it is.

We should grow the Sth-East region with a stand alone Demons VFL team,  withIn the Shire of Casey base,  IMO with a Lynbrook to Berwick area based Home Ground,  which will encompass the Cranbourne people & more of those people from along the Eastern regions of the Princes H/Way & the Eastern rail line areas.

So I say lets soon break from 'Casey Scorps',  leaving them with the Casey-Fields home,  & we re-establish closer to Berwick,  closer to the Freeways, Highways,  & the main V-Line railway.  This brings in a lot more people from a wider area giving them better access to AFL-VFL footy.  

Being out around Berwick,  we will also bring those people around FerntreeGully,  Emerald  etc,  to us.   As well as those up along the Freeway & Rail-lines.  

We could run the Dee-Train Steam Engine with entertainers,  along the country line on 'occasions',  for supporters & their kids,  from Sale or Traralgon,  coming thru Berwick,  & on to Caulfield Station,  where the train could stop on the side line & reload fuel, & collect member/supporter passengers,  and change direction,  Dee-livering supporters to Berwick Station. for the game.

We can make it FUN 'to be there',  at the games. > check the map...  it covers a greater area of accessibility,  than what we have covered now.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Bunyip+VIC/Berwick+Railway+Station,+Berwick+VIC+3806/@-38.0686083,145.2558932,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b29e9fac8e0f243:0x40579a430a06d40!2m2!1d145.7241588!2d-38.0964803!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad61a25d5771ae5:0x1d04567609f51810!2m2!1d145.3449261!2d-38.0396022!3e3

Edited by dee-luded

There is never a bad time for Weed.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Knew it would only be a matter of time before someone posted that....

Would have done it earlier but I was too stoned.

• Like 5