Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot. Farewell Demonland and thanks for the memories

On 2 April 2016 at 11:52 PM, Ascobar said:

Dear Demonland,

I am not a regular poster but I have been religiously reading Demonland for several years now.

However, after watching (most of) the match against Essendon I’ve decided it is time to bid farewell to Demonland and take a break from watching football indefinitely. I have lost the enjoyment of following the game and club I have loved for the last 27 odd years.

The performance of our players against a club I despise so much (ever since their dirty tactics against our young players in the 2000 grand final) was nothing short of soul destroying. Of course there have been worse defeats than that of late, but after all the positivity around the club during the pre-season it is so deflating and incomprehensible to see the team play with so little spirit and coherency.

But that’s not the only reason. The state of the game and the management of the league has becoming a complete farce with the constant rule changes, draft manipulations, and unequal fixturing, not to mention the appallingly inconsistent decision-making of the AFL governing body. Watching clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney consistently being able to top up their lists without dropping from contention is a complete farce and against the spirit of the game as far as I am concerned.

But before I sign off I wanted to say a big thank you to all those that contribute to this forum.

I have greatly enjoyed the incredible amount of passion and insightful input provided by the majority of posters. As someone who has been living overseas the last few years with limited opportunities to see the Dees play on the hallowed turf of the MCG I have found the forum to be a great resource. Particularly, the training reports which help keep the fires burning during the off season.

I hope you all continue to keep the passion going and I hope the club will (eventually) turn things around and become a finals team once again.

Ascobar

P.S. Shout outs to my favourite posters in Whispering Jack, Steve the Man, and Saty plus all the moderators and administrators for keeping the forum afloat.

This is a very disturbing quote , which, I am sure, speaks for a lot of us.

WJ, or a close moderator, whom is close to the football club, I strongly suggest this should be given to Mr. Jackson, Mahoney,Viney or Roos directly, to share with the players, this pathetic result.Whilst Roos acknowledges this performance as being also a fault for playing certain players, I blame him and the coaching panel for not playing closer scrutiny to the team selection.

There is no doubt that Brayshaw was not in the form to play, Pedersen, Bugg( in particular), needs to really have a look at themselves in the sense of having a fair go at playing the game. Whilst , picking out only a couple , enough , are not putting in.

Furthermore, it seems to me, Watts was not fit to play also.

lastly, the coaching panel, really need to have a look at themselves further with field placing etc., Also, it showed how pitiful we were at covering tall forwards, TMac tries, but is not tall enough to cover, a real tall such as Danaher.

these are my thoughts and strongly believe that the club should see " How we feel".

plain and simply - not good enough...again, embarrassing.

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys but I have fox footy and I don't watch any other games apart from ours and I know alot of others that  are the same , when I was in my 20 s I would watch every game on tv possible I suspect Carlton fans would be heading in the same direction know that has to be disturbing to the AFL but in saying that I take the kids to about 6 games a year I just don't have the passion for the game anymore WC , port, crows, lions now I have been following the game for 13 years before the Eagles were introduced there's no incentive and even those 2 losing GF we played in just to be part of the week was special and exciting but to experience it twice in 43 years it's just not enough.

Coping strategies for Melbourne supporters.

I am a rusted on MFC supporter and have actively been for the last 47 years. Now let me be specific, I am 55 years young, old enough to have been alive during our last premiership win. Alas I have no memory of that glorious day, being only 3 at the time. I have endured many lows and the occasional high, sadly the lows greatly out number the highs, and yet I am still here. Obviously from time to time I ask myself why. The bottom line is that I know I can’t barrack for anybody else and despite this relationship being very one sided and somewhat toxic I still love the red and the Blue and always will. My mates constantly chide me over my team of choice, but I don’t care. Stuffem! Over this prolonged period I have developed some strategies that have helped me cope. For all of you struggling with our most recent insipid performance I offer you my own personal pearls of wisdom that have helped me survive to date.

1.              Never ever associate your personal happiness to the success or failure of this club. It’s not you it’s them.

2.              Footballers are by and large pretty dumb, don’t rely on them. They will let you down.

3.              Accept that the competition is corrupt and that any success achieved is more significant because of this. It also helps to mask the reality of our own incompetence.

4.              Keep reminding yourself that the game is essentially 44 knuckle heads running around an oval kicking the crap out of a ball.  Is that really worth risking your mental health for?

5.              Footballers are by and large pretty dumb, don’t rely on them. They will let you down.

6.              In the infinite field of all possibilities, all possibilities exist?

7.              The donuts at the football are the bomb.

8.              Don’t get angry, laugh at our ineptitude. When Tom McDonald decides to go on a run cheer him on right up to the point when he runs into a wall of opposition, and then laugh.

9.              It’s ok to take a break from the game.

10.           Footballers are by and large pretty dumb, don’t rely on them. They will let you down.

11.           Divorce yourself from the result. This technique seems to work for Paul Roos

12.           Don’t read the Demonland game day thread. Misery loves company.

13.           Don’t read any thread predicting a favourable result, it will only get your hopes up.

14.           Know that the day after a particularly depressing loss the Sun will still rise, your dog will be happy to see you and that your family will still love you despite the fact you barrack for the Dees. Every day I wake up breathing is a bonus.

15.           Barracking for the MFC is Character building. Resilience be thy friend.

16.           And finally most importantly. Footballers are by and large pretty dumb, don’t rely on them. They will let you down.

Go Dees.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Outside fifty said:

I am a rusted on MFC supporter and have actively been for the last 47 years. Now let me be specific, I am 55 years young, old enough to have been alive during our last premiership win. Alas I have no memory of that glorious day, being only 3 at the time. I have endured many lows and the occasional high, sadly the lows greatly out number the highs, and yet I am still here. Obviously from time to time I ask myself why. The bottom line is that I know I can’t barrack for anybody else and despite this relationship being very one sided and somewhat toxic I still love the red and the Blue and always will. My mates constantly chide me over my team of choice, but I don’t care. Stuffem! Over this prolonged period I have developed some strategies that have helped me cope. For all of you struggling with our most recent insipid performance I offer you my own personal pearls of wisdom that have helped me survive to date.

1.              Never ever associate your personal happiness to the success or failure of this club. It’s not you it’s them.

2.              Footballers are by and large pretty dumb, don’t rely on them. They will let you down.

3.              Accept that the competition is corrupt and that any success achieved is more significant because of this. It also helps to mask the reality of our own incompetence.

4.              Keep reminding yourself that the game is essentially 44 knuckle heads running around an oval kicking the crap out of a ball.  Is that really worth risking your mental health for?

5.              Footballers are by and large pretty dumb, don’t rely on them. They will let you down.

6.              In the infinite field of all possibilities, all possibilities exist?

8.              Don’t get angry, laugh at our ineptitude. When Tom McDonald decides to go on a run cheer him on right up to the point when he runs into a wall of opposition, and then laugh.

10.           Footballers are by and large pretty dumb, don’t rely on them. They will let you down.

11.           Divorce yourself from the result. This technique seems to work for Paul Roos

13.           Don’t read any thread predicting a favourable result, it will only get your hopes up.

14.           Know that the day after a particularly depressing loss the Sun will still rise, your dog will be happy to see you and that your family will still love you despite the fact you barrack for the Dees. Every day I wake up breathing is a bonus.

15.           Barracking for the MFC is Character building. Resilience be thy friend.

16.           And finally most importantly. Footballers are by and large pretty dumb, don’t rely on them. They will let you down.

Go Dees.

That pretty much covers it Mr. OF especially no's 2,5 and 16

48 minutes ago, Outside fifty said:

Go Dees.

love number 7 been a mfc supporter since 1954 so have seen it all ,remembering is the hard bit.but on the donuts,a mate and i would buy them after the game totake home to our wives,after a couple of hours at the pub and a gut full atthe ground the were like a peace offering before passing out on the lounge floor in front of the space heater.That was 70s first game one year my mate put his hand in the pocket of his going to footy jacket ,donuts still there from the last game previous year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outside fifty said:

Go Dees.

Brilliant post. Just got to learn to actually live by it.

I haven't posted on here for a long time, but am a regular viewer. Football has been a mostly joyless pastime for me since that day at Geelong, and after Saturday, I promised myself I'd take a break from football (just a break...I know what deerag said - you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave), but have already found myself drawn back to demonland, and I'm glad I was to read this post.

Don't also forget one of the points made by Ascobar - I live interstate and do not have any direct interaction with anyone who is a dees fan. Without demonland, and knowing others are going through the same pain, I would have checked out years ago.

• Like 2

After reading this thread I’ve decided to sign up, so I suppose maybe it is a case of one soldier goes down and another steps up. Or piling up the clichés… anyway I have been reading this site for a while and enjoy the banter.

Saturday made me realise what it takes to be a true supporter. Not the dismal performance of the team, but it was the first game in a long long time that I did not go with my good mate JR. You see, he died shortly before Christmas from Motor Neurone Disease, which is the mongrel thing that Neale Daniher has. Nobody knows how you get it, and there is no cure, it just destroys you from inside.

JR was a passionate Melbourne man, a true believer, bordering on MFC OCD. In fact he used sign up and buy memberships for his family if they went or not. His son lives interstate, and hasn’t been to the G for years, but still has a Dad-paid reserved seat next to us! I don’t know how much JR spent supporting the club, but it was a LOT.  

He would travel to NT to watch us play, and rarely missed a home game. He would always buy merchandise to help the club, and always bought raffle tix.  He was thrilled a couple of years ago to win Dudley’s Raffle, but as I explained to him it’s not that big a deal when you buy most of the tickets yourself!

Anyway we missed the half of 2014 and all of last season as he became too ill to attend. I used to go round to watch the matches on telly with him. He would drag himself (literally) or be helped out of bed, get into his Melbourne gear and watch “our boys”. Towards the end he could barely breathe or talk but still made the effort to watch, even though it exhausted him.

In his younger days he was a tough as nails “back pocket rover’’ (when such a thing existed!) and he deplored the lack of intensity which Dees had made into an artform. He used to tell them about it in his booming voice, and his humorous assessments of our play had everyone around us laughing.

It made me very sad on Saturday – not just missing him – but to think what he would have made of that performance, but I still made myself feel a bit better imagining his comments during the game.

We would have walked out of the ground vowing that’s it never again…etc but by the time we got home it was: see ya next week.

Should auld acquaintance indeed

• Like 17

34 minutes ago, Loose Men Everywhere said:

After reading this thread I’ve decided to sign up, so I suppose maybe it is a case of one soldier goes down and another steps up. Or piling up the clichés… anyway I have been reading this site for a while and enjoy the banter.

Saturday made me realise what it takes to be a true supporter. Not the dismal performance of the team, but it was the first game in a long long time that I did not go with my good mate JR. You see, he died shortly before Christmas from Motor Neurone Disease, which is the mongrel thing that Neale Daniher has. Nobody knows how you get it, and there is no cure, it just destroys you from inside.

JR was a passionate Melbourne man, a true believer, bordering on MFC OCD. In fact he used sign up and buy memberships for his family if they went or not. His son lives interstate, and hasn’t been to the G for years, but still has a Dad-paid reserved seat next to us! I don’t know how much JR spent supporting the club, but it was a LOT.  

He would travel to NT to watch us play, and rarely missed a home game. He would always buy merchandise to help the club, and always bought raffle tix.  He was thrilled a couple of years ago to win Dudley’s Raffle, but as I explained to him it’s not that big a deal when you buy most of the tickets yourself!

Anyway we missed the half of 2014 and all of last season as he became too ill to attend. I used to go round to watch the matches on telly with him. He would drag himself (literally) or be helped out of bed, get into his Melbourne gear and watch “our boys”. Towards the end he could barely breathe or talk but still made the effort to watch, even though it exhausted him.

In his younger days he was a tough as nails “back pocket rover’’ (when such a thing existed!) and he deplored the lack of intensity which Dees had made into an artform. He used to tell them about it in his booming voice, and his humorous assessments of our play had everyone around us laughing.

It made me very sad on Saturday – not just missing him – but to think what he would have made of that performance, but I still made myself feel a bit better imagining his comments during the game.

We would have walked out of the ground vowing that’s it never again…etc but by the time we got home it was: see ya next week.

What a cracker of a first post.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The reactions here are comical. Loss = end of civilisation as we know it, Win = team unbeatable start planning for dynasty. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WAClark said:

The reactions here are comical. Loss = end of civilisation as we know it, Win = team unbeatable start planning for dynasty. 

Humans are strange!

• Like 2

On 4 April 2016 at 2:02 PM, Loose Men Everywhere said:

JR was a fighter. MND is the slow constrictor...

So sad he missed the ride...Round 2 was so depressing in so many ways

[Just read LME's story about JR. It's a story that should get a wider audience somehow. Our JR's should be publicly celebrated somehow by the club.]

Along a general theme of this thread, it's human nature to constantly be having, or wanting, to think "if this happens, and that happens, and the other happens, then we can be/get/reach such-and-such". Isn't it great that - seemingly all of a sudden - we've moved from having to cling to the least worst 'such-and-such' (we won't get the spoon), the slightly happier schadenfreude such-and-such (team x will be below us and imploding) and even the "we'll win more games than last year" such-and-such, to now be contemplating the this's, that's and the other's that will get us into the 8 (it's only percentage) and maybe even entrench us there? Happier days Ascobar?

All the pain and suffering I just can't go on....cue violins.....how could they do this to me? Me!....Don't they know who I am? Nobody knows the trouble I seen...

....that's nothin' Lad I was brought up in shoebox in middle of the road..we worked at mill for a halfpenny a lifetime and at night father would beat us about the head and neck with a broken beer bottle....