Post match Discussion "Fire away"

What

I think we have  bee exposed as a fraudulent club. No spirit and no soul. Just making up the numbers for the AFL. When it comes to soul and fighting spirit we ain't worth the Essendon's players toe jam despite their problems.  Fark the premiership window.  We are on the way to matching last season  [censored] efforts. And if anyone says we have improved if we win one more game than last season deserves a punch in the face.

• Like 8

From the start you could tell who was on and who wasn't. The mindset wasn't right from the start! The Bombers were always going to be up given what their club had planned in advance.

Then came the poor decisions, getting ran down, poor vision. Have seen it all too often. For all the improvement in recent weeks, and talk....this was just so disappointing. 

Our boys weren't prepared. Confusion in the back line. The signs weren't good.

Mentally soft for such a big game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

I really beleive that The club needs to make a statement at Selection this week.

If that means dropping A half dozen or more players who perenially are too easily satisfied and have shown similar tendencies throughout then so be it! 'If Roos thinks competetin for places is strong then so be it play kids with passion

From what it appears we still lack midfield run and multiple targets up forward. Our defense was also rag dolled!

So these guys should come under  strong consideration next week

WEIDERMAN

WHITE

DUNN

TRENGOVE

PETRACCA ( HONEYMOON PERIOD IS OVER)

HUNT

STRETCH

POSSIBLY EVEN TERLICH!

IN THE GUN

BUGG

MC DONALD ( I'M SICK OF HIS LACK OF AWARENESS AND SHITHOUSE DISPOSAL)

TYSON

HARMES

M JONES ( IS AND WILL ONLY EVER BE A VFL PLAYER)

LAMUMBA ( FINISHED)

KENT

Plus we need to mix our players up in different roles. Salem goes forward etc!

That looks like panic to me.

1 hour ago, doc roet said:

Bet North have a 100+ point win on there radar now,I hope they [censored] us,then finally I can give up after 50 years of

faithfully following this club.

I hope they do too. That's what killed us this week. We thought we could just turn up. How anyone that's been at the MFC over a year could think we'd get away with that is as thick as two planks.

Edited by AdamFarr

It almost feels like it doesn't matter if we win next week. We still lost to Essendon, and it'll be a stain on our season. This really has to be a line-in-the-sand moment for us. Massive improvement from here, and I'm talking 3-4 game winning streak is the only cure for this.

• Like 2

The word is insulting. An insult to our faith, patience and trust. Someone said earlier they feel lied to - spot on. I'm a steadfast optimist but geez, gotta dig deep now after this embarrassment 

• Like 3

It's amazing how even while on the other side of the world, this club's utter inapptitude and continuous disappointment still gets to me. Way to ruin my [censored] day from the other side of the world. 

This club's moto should be "we won't cease to disappoint until we cease to exist". 

• Like 5

When they hit the front in the last quarter, I turned to my mum and said, "They're going to break our hearts again today."

You could sense every goal, every kick, every mark, every free kick from that moment on.

That final 10 minutes was as defeatist as I've seen from this club. They had already lost in their minds. It's quite depressing when you think about it.

i definatley would have put Dunn in against what seemed to be a forward line that was too tall and taking so many marks,

The dons took this game much more seriously even making their fans all meet before the game and bringing in all the old stars to meet and great the young team.

We got ahead of oursleves and were half asleep.

As for next week at least we wont be so cocky.

Hope the umpires dont try to stuff up the game next time. They were clearly affected by the huge essendon supporter base. It was a poor display from them.That said...we were just very very weak todaay nd there must be quite a few changes. Hopefully we have some fit players to replace garland, bugg, kent, pederson

Just got home from the game. Truly momentum killing day for the club. I wonder if the  playing group , coaching staff  and whole football department truly understand the overall significance  of  the result today? I feel for the board and poor old Peter Jackson. His business model just got blown apart. I feel for the supporters who have stumped up again, to bet let down so badly yet again. The board puts everything in place and then this! I mean when does it stop? The silence on the train was deafening.  Cant think of a much more unacceptable level of performance and surely Roos and Jones have to be carpeted first thing Monday morning for a please explain and the action plan complete with short term performance objectives. The football department can no longer be allowed to underperform to this magnitude. The playing list is supposedly good enough now. Could go on about individual players, team selection or players still holding guns to the clubs head on contracts etc but cant be bothered ,suffice to say, time for some tough love to sort out all these expectations  nice and early and to get the train back on the rails pronto.

• Like 4

Just got home from the game. Truly momentum killing day for the club. I wonder if the  playing group , coaching staff  and whole football department truly understand the overall significance  of  the result today? I feel for the board and poor old Peter Jackson. His business model just got blown apart. I feel for the supporters who have stumped up again, to bet let down so badly yet again. The board puts everything in place and then this! I mean when does it stop? The silence on the train was deafening.  Cant think of a much more unacceptable level of performance and surely Roos and Jones have to be carpeted first thing Monday morning for a please explain and the action plan complete with short term performance objectives. The football department can no longer be allowed to underperform to this magnitude. The playing list is supposedly good enough now. Could go on about individual players, team selection or players still holding guns to the clubs head on contracts etc but cant be bothered ,suffice to say, time for some tough love to sort out all these expectations  nice and early and to get the train back on the rails pronto.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The percentage play gets you know where in the AFL. We need to switch and open the game up more. Matt Jones' kick wasn't great but it was on Brayshaw for not attacking it. 

Tom McDonald's kick was terrible. Everyone's had their say on him. I'd be more concerned about his deliberate and other poor errors that show lack of composure. 

It was super windy today. So it had to be a day to attack using run and carry and accurate short kicking before using the wind when it suited. 

We did little of that.

I would rather take a lead into half time with a few minutes on the clock than take the "brain fade" risk Matty took today and boost the opponent's confidence/momentum going into the main break. It's all about when. Coming from behind in the last maybe, or 8 goals up late in the 3rd, it wouldn't matter. but not at that stage of the match. It's all about picking the right options at the right times. We often fail in this department with too many brain snaps at critical moments/stages of a game and we seem to always have a procession of NQR players willing to pull this BS out of their hats gifting easy goals to our opponents no matter how good/bad their form is.

See Fitz's tunnel ball gift goal last year's QB match against the Pies.

It's no wonder teams play with gay abandon and don't fear us. We are our own worst enemy and have been for decades, with a few odd exceptional years in between.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

Feel more than a little foolish for laughing so hard at Richmond last night. 

The joke is well and truly on me today - I really thought we had moved beyond the rubbish they served up this afternoon. 

Im right there with you. Fool me once...

7 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

I would rather take a lead into half time with no sniff from the opponent with a few minutes on the clock than take the "brain fade" risk Matty took today. It's all about when. Coming from behind in the last maybe, or 8 goals up late in the 3rd, it wouldn't matter. but not at that stage of the match. It's all about picking the right options at the right times. We often fail in this department with too many brain snaps at critical moments/stages of a game and we seem to always have a procession of NQR players willing to pull this BS out of their hats gifting easy goals to our opponents no matter how good/bad their form is.

See Fitz's tunnel ball gift goal last year's QB match against the Pies.

It's no winder teams play with gay abandon and don't fear us. We are our own worst enemy and have been for decades, with a few odd exceptional years in between.

No doubt. But in particular during the Roos years, we have handed victory to teams on a silver platter.

10 games in 2014 we led in the last quarter and lost.

Last year against the Saints (twice), Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide. Tried really hard to give Brisbane a sniff but they were too bad themselves.

There is just something about this style that opens it up too much for the opposition. I get that Roos is trying to build defensive prowess here, but we can't possibility continue down this path without playing attractive football.

Roos' style has since day one been at odds with Jackson's views for the club going forward. With Roos, it's an "all in" type deal. I think many teams are calling his bluff and we the fans are the ones reeling. 

I am just absolutely astonished that we lost that. If the roles were reversed, we'd still have lost by 100 points. It's a club mentality and culture thing, no doubt. He's being paid 1 million to change the culture: what's changed?

David King was right. Overall, broadly, there really isn't much improvement. The same core issues persist. Roos ultimately has failed in his task here. Only a final appearance now would fix this. You can't really judge this merely on wins. Losing these sorts of matches is the big problem here. We were "competitive", sure, but we were awful overall. There was a lack of urgency to win that was rather astonishing. 

They still haven't turned a corner. Another rebuild. 10 years since finals. 1 million a year to a coach who doesn't have answers.

Is there an answer?

Edited by praha
error
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

i definatley would have put Dunn in against what seemed to be a forward line that was too tall and taking so many marks,

The dons took this game much more seriously even making their fans all meet before the game and bringing in all the old stars to meet and great the young team.

We got ahead of oursleves and were half asleep.

As for next week at least we wont be so cocky.

Hope the umpires dont try to stuff up the game next time. They were clearly affected by the huge essendon supporter base. It was a poor display from them.That said...we were just very very weak todaay nd there must be quite a few changes. Hopefully we have some fit players to replace garland, bugg, kent, pederson

Dunn plays much taller than his height suggests. surely theres somthing going on that we dont know about. hes emergency so must be fit. dropped from leadership group. overlooked as an obvious selection. we need him back. he gets dismissed far too easily on here.

1 hour ago, Coup Cooper said:

Triple M worst votes.

3 Tom McDonald (Towelled up by Daniher.. Again!!)

2 Jack Watts (no tackles)

1 Jack Viney (opposing players had 30+ he had 17 went at 59 percent)

Then they all have the ability to turn it around again next week. Because those three were brilliant last week.

1 hour ago, praha said:

Jones one of our best and consistent.

Leaders in Vince, Viney, N Jones, Garland, Lumumba were absolutely smashed by inexperienced kids. We got clearances but played lazy, unaccountable football. 

They were embarrassingly flat and played like the 2014 Demons.

David King said that if Melbourne didn't win, they hadn't improved.

Today was a massive gauge of where this club is at. They failed the test. Badly.

Harsh on Jones (who really lifted us at the start of the final quarter) and Vince wasn't our worst either, but I'd agree with the rest of your post.

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

M Jones was far from our worst. Kent, Vandenberg and Harmes may as well not played. Brayshaw was far from match fit. 

Roos saying we looked tired for [censored]'s sake its round 2. 

I said it before. Matt Jones was one of our best players, if not the best player in the first half. He faded a little bit and made an error or two in the final quarter, but people have put on the blinkers for this one. I'm not Matt Jones fan, but he earned in position in this side throughout pre season, played well last week and was serviceable today. 

And Roosy is clearly trying to shield the players in the media. I've no doubt he'll be pulling no punches behind closed doors. It does nothing to [censored] all over the players in the media. It only loses their trust. We need to regroup and make sure we turn up next week. If we do, we're a chance.

1 hour ago, Diamond said:

The coaching was non existent. Why weren't there more players manning up on their players, particularly Daniher. Why does macdonald try to punch the ball every time (and fails) instead of trying to outmark his opponent? Essendon were flooding their back line every time it got down our end. We just left multiple Essendon players free in their forward line all the time. Hogan was not leading out properly at all. They had space with multiple linked up marks along the boundary several times. They were faster, harder at the contest, and they are bigger bodied. They spread and got away from our players with ease. Brayshaw looks like he's carrying an injury still. And the umpiring was criminally incompetent.

Does McPherson come under the pump this week? I'm not happy with the midfield either. Dumb footy, bombing it long to the contest every time. People are right when they say we lacked forward structure, just as we did for much of last week. Perhaps it will click at some stage, but the players are certainly struggling to learn how and where to move the footy to. We basically don't have a plan B if Hogan doesn't mark it or we don't move it quickly. We just continually bomb it on the head of Hogan, who is being double and tripled team from week to week.

I don't like Hogan's attitude and his work rate is almost non existent at times, but the delivery to him today and much of last week was abhorrent. I think as a young player, he still has a lot to learn about where to lead to and the work rate required to be a dominant forward. Take a leaf out of Nick Riewoldt's book, not Jack Riewoldt's book.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Nothing but smartass comment as usual.

Add something worthy to the discussion for once 'Baghdad Bob'

Not in the [censored] mood to put up with your rubbish

You mean like calling players [censored] or idiots or other posters morons    I said if we competed we would win we didn't and lost quite simple   I knew we were done half way through first quarter   and least we limited the damage     

bombing the ball in will never create goals  all the rubbish about  Hogan I would have got frustrated with the  delivery   BenKen N Jones and Jetta about the only three who competed for 4 qtrs

Hogan's body language was very disappointing. Cannot possibly have a positive effect on his team mates. Why the [censored] was he put on his own at full back in the 2nd, only to spectate (as did TMac) when Daniher was contesting 1 on 3? He did seem to grab his left upper hammy a couple of times. 

Bombers run and carry outside was excellent, as was their linkage and disposal to advantage. Showed up our slow, inside players who were stuck in the 'phone booth'. Our better passages were from our quicker guys like BenKen and Jeffy. Second good game in a row from Kennedy. Parish will be a very good player... classy, composed and good decision maker. 

We have a dumb, dumb backline. TMac was appalling and at times could not have made poorer decisions. Garland likewise. Dunn is even dumber, so I don't believe his inclusion would have helped. H was lost at times.

Brayshaw looked underdone, though most of our midfield was no better. Gawn got a lot of taps, but wasn't as effective around the ground as I had hoped. Repeatedly got into good position to mark but not finishing it off.

I think I'd have more faith in Curley Austin nailing a set shot than Dom Tyson at the moment.

The less said about Jack Watts the better. 1 from 2 so far this season.

Great to see Trenners have a good game at Casey. Is Trac nearing ready yet? 

Are there quick(ish) guys at Casey that might give us better outside balence? Stretch? White? ANB?

I'm angry that we've let the Bombers become smug again. Will do no good for membership numbers.

24 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I think we have  bee exposed as a fraudulent club. No spirit and no soul. 

This has been know for many, many years.

The question is why are we like this?  Nobody has an answer but I suspect its geographical.  We are the only team in the AFL, hell maybe even the NRL and soccer too,  that have no real base, identity or home.

• Like 1

You mean like calling players [censored] or idiots or other posters morons    I said if we competed we would win we didn't and lost quite simple   I knew we were done half way through first quarter   and least we limited the damage     

bombing the ball in will never create goals  all the rubbish about  Hogan I would have got frustrated with the  delivery   BenKen N Jones and Jetta about the only three who competed for 4 qtrs

• Like 1

Dunno why so many are having a go at lumumber, he was one of the few good players we had today. One of the only ones to create run through the middle.

Our issue was to many passages in the mid, Viney and Oliver been the prime offenders