You can read far more into a game than Win or Loss.  We played below many of the posters expectations.  Perhaps those who are talking them down and reacting to negative posts have lower expectations.

I expect us to finish somewhere between 9-12, and yesterdays performance falls short of that.

It's not the end of the world though, and I don't think anyone is saying it is. It is pre-season game and it would have achieved much of what was required, but it wasn't a overall solid team performance.

If we had performed like that 2 years ago, I would have been far happier simple because I wasn't expecting as much as I am now.

And I also have to wonder why Stretch and ANB didn't play yesterday. Unless they are injured or something was affecting them I think they should have been played ahead of Hunt (who I don't think is ready) and Wagner (who I really like but would prefer the other two play ahead of him at this stage).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Last season we would have lost this game to the doggies VFL side. It's noted our skills still let us down at times but two things, it's a practice game and we won. 

Beats losin IMO. 

We did play them in the NAB games last year at Ballarat. We beat them, again they were well undermanned but we led all day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I did a player performance write up last week for every player and il do one for todays game.

I do have mix emotions about this game. It was very sloppy but for some reason I had confidence we would fight back. A good side will punish these younger less experience sides but we are not a good side yet. We are getting there though.

Don't underestimate the doggies though. They will go up a level this year and today showed they have great depth coming through.

Watts: A standout game. His work rate and especially his contested work was a big improvement and like last week continued to chase and harassed. Is this the makings of Brendan McCartney?? The big test is when the real stuff begins but as a high half forward he was really classy and the comparisons to Jack Gunston is spot on if he keeps his form up. 16 dispoasals 10 marks and 3.1

Gawn: Just your typical reform Gawn game. Remember that night Minson ran Gawn ragged in 2013? Well big max took Minson to the sword and beat him hands down.. No wait he beat both Campbell and Minson at the same time. 46 hitouts to Campbell's 14 and Minsons 8.. Also just felt today those marks couldn't quite stick but that will only get better with more experience.

Viney: Backed up last week efforts with 25 disposals and 6 tackles. Was a bit shaky with his disposal but did his job and is set for a big 2016. Is in good form atm.

Matt Jones: Take note Tom McDonald and take a leaf out of this blokes book because you can tell he has worked on his weakness's really hard over the summer and has kept it simple. I mean honestly I didn't see him waste a disposal. He knows his limitations and has definitely put his hand up for round 1. He deserves his spot.

Nathan Jones: Was rusty today but still showed that true captain spirit by going in hard and getting ball moving forward with aggression. Will get better with more match fitness over the next couple of weeks. Good to have the skip back.

Garlett: He is our 2nd best forward behind Hogan. The guy is a freakshow and that goal he pulled out of his ass was magic. 5 tackles shows he is doing his job by providing forward pressure and harassment. Another good game from Jeffy. This is a big statement but he is the best small forward in the competition behind Betts. Could easily have kicked 4 today.

Tyson: Much improved game from last week. disposed the ball well and gave the first option. I was very critical of him last week but today he was good. Also 7 tackles is a good effort and just shows he is doing a lot of grunt work in the clearences. His goal was classy no doubt.

McDonald: He was horrible. See my thread..

Grimes: I thought Grimes was a lot better today then last week. I didn't see any major clangers like we see in the past but like Matt Jones he kept it simple today. Id like to see him as a tagger but seemed to play bit of everywhere today and took some nice marks so I thought he did his job.

Harmes: Beside that horrendous turnover he was actually quite good. Again he continues to put forward pressure with 5 tackles today. His mark was almost Russell Robertson like up forward. Robbo played at 184cm while Harmes is 185cm tall so you never know.. Personally id like to see him come round 1 as his forward pressure is important for our structure. Hard and tough but won some ball outside today.

Bugg: Showed again today why he will be a good recruit. Played wing and provided grunt and aggression. I'm glad the club hasn't been giving him any tagging roles because he can actually win the ball a lot when given the chance. Good game by Bugg with 22 disposals.

Salem: Was good today and showed his class off a half back. Just feel we need to get the ball in his hands more often so he can give us that drive and precise of a half back. Personally I still feel he needs to be up on a wing then up back but can understand why we need him down back.

Kennedy: Liked Kennedys game today but he should have nailed those shots especially when he was running into an opening goal. Tough little bugger who spent more time up forward today then midfield. 16 disposals from a half forward is not a bad effort so will continue to watch his progress over the next coming weeks.

Vandenberg: Not as good as last week but still showed his aggression at the ball and man. Only sour note was his ankle injury which is not serious. Do we rest him for next week? Need him fit and firing come round 1.

Pedersen: Cemented his spot as a Forward/ruckman for round 1. Could have kicked 3 goals today if he didn't handball over the top to Watts and the siren didn't go when the ball was clearly going to be marked into a running goal in the 3rd term. Did a fantastic run down tackle only to undo his good work with a poor turnover. Playing his role well.

Oliver: We have a beauty here. I don't know how many times in congestion he'd gather the ball with an opponent ready to tackle only to quickly dispose of it in clear congestion to our outside runners. His awareness is seriously elite. He is already up to speed with the game and even when he got tackled and looked to get pinned he would somehow get a handball or a quick kick out. Just doesn't' seem to ever get caught, bit like Scott Pendlebury. He has grown also because on Tv he looks a lot taller then 188cm.. His mark was special also. If he can push forward and take those kind of marks he will be the player Colin Sylvia was suppose to. Giddy up for round 1 Clayto!

Jetta: Another typical Jetta game who did his job and provided bit of drive.

Vince: Like Jones blew out the cobwebs and played across half back. Id rather his class in the midfield though.

Kent: A quite game and hardly noticed him throughout the match but for him its all about getting match fitness and run in the legs.

Hunt: Not seen anything to suggest he will make it as an AFL player. Still yet to see this breakaway speed we hear about. Was surprised to read he had 8 disposals because I just rarely noticed him. Was he doing a lock down role? who knows but he has a lot of work to do.

Michie: Wish they would give this bloke a serious go. Came on with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd term and had 8 disposals for the game. Used the ball well and rarely wasted it. Will be the upgrade for Melksham. Just feel he could add a bit to our side as his last month in 2015 showed his ball winning ability and classy disposal.

Wagner: is a competitor but he is not ready for senior footy. Played the 2nd half and like Hunt I just rarely noticed him.

Dunn: Don't know when he went off but hope his groin pulls up well.

Stretch: Disappointed they didn't bother to even give him a run at all. Hope he plays a full game next week as I think his run and spread could be important for us.

All in all im looking forward to Lumumba coming back next week and Brayshaw Petracca Trengove really ramping up their training because them included would make our side a whole lot better.

I thought it was strange he only got a quarter as well. Same with Stretch not getting a run at all. I would have thought that these games should be where these players are given a maximum go. Thought Michie was very useful given his brief time on the ground. Has very quick hands and hits targets.

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

He does look good, but the NAB Cup press conferences haven't exactly put him under the pump with 'hard' questions.  Winning games means he has had things pretty easy, so I think we need to assess him once he coaches a loss or two.

Having said that he has done a terrific job so far.

Yeah this is only a NAB challenge press conference with most of the best journalists missing. His press conference was hopeless if you take it in context and just part of a broader problem.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Yeah this is only a NAB challenge press conference with most of the best journalists missing. His press conference was hopeless if you take it in context and just part of a broader problem.

13 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

He can only answer the questions that are put to him.

Some folk like to see negatives in everything.  

We win an ugly game in difficult conditions, coming from behind.....oh, but the coach has a hopeless presser. 

OMG ?

16 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Hopeless??  Broader problem??  What were you looking at?

Most of the 'best' journalists hardly ever go to post game press conferences.  Even during the season they only go if there has been something controversial in the week prior.

Yes, it is a NAB practice game and Goodwin is getting practice at being a coach at press conferences. 

That is what the transition is all about. 

Footnote:  'Best' as an adjective for journalists is an oxymoron!!

23 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

15 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

He can only answer the questions that are put to him.

Some folk like to see negatives in everything.  

We win an ugly game in difficult conditions, coming from behind.....oh, but the coach has a hopeless presser. 

OMG ?  Just give up.

33 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

You need to get out more.

8 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Was it Garland who went over the fence and which doggies player pushed him?

Correct, it was Garland and number 40 pushed him. 

Luke Goetz.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
Added player name.

52 minutes ago, S_T said:

And I also have to wonder why Stretch and ANB didn't play yesterday. Unless they are injured or something was affecting them I think they should have been played ahead of Hunt (who I don't think is ready) and Wagner (who I really like but would prefer the other two play ahead of him at this stage).

Stretch and Neal-Bullen aren't competing with Hunt or Wagner.  Hunt and Wagner are trying to cement a position off a HBF and the other two are trying for outside mid roles.

So when Goodwin, et al, sit down to select the team their consideration will never be to decide between Wagner and Stretch.

Edited by ProDee

14 hours ago, old dee said:

Amen to all the above ww

For the first time in a decade we have a half decent list that has won the first two games of a season.

Ok we had poor periods but we still won.

Get that guys we won in spite of some players not playing well

The Dogs had some of their better players out.

So what we won.

Get it everyone we won.

competative players on the list,  with a more competative attitude,  fortified by a responsible team attitude to defensive running,  & assisting.

add a pinch of talent & creativity to this & start to climb.

6 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Stretch and Neal-Bullen aren't competing with Hunt or Wagner.  Hunt and Wagner are trying to cement a position off a HBF and the other two are trying for outside mid roles.

So when Goodwin, et al, sit down to select the team their consideration will never be to decide between Wagner and Stretch.

If Hunt and Wagner are required realistic options for HBF before mid-year, we are in some trouble.  Neither are close at this stage although Wagner has some very good traits.

Stretch played some HBF last year I recall anyway.

A NAB Week 1 and 2  side doesn't need to be fully balanced.  In all likelihood both ANB and Stretch will miss out this week too as the bench drops down to 4.  I expect them both to be carrying an injury or illness otherwise it seems questionable omissions from everything we saw last year.

Anyone know whats going on with Mitch White? That one game he showed he was a capable HBF who could hit targets. I thought i read at one stage he was having a great pre season.

1 minute ago, S_T said:

If Hunt and Wagner are required realistic options for HBF before mid-year, we are in some trouble.  Neither are close at this stage although Wagner has some very good traits.

9xhlVn0.gif

• Like 1

Geez, you just can't win with some people.  Many decry the NAB Challenge as nothing more than a glorified set of practice matches, which it probably is.  Of course, we don't want injuries, we all want to see how the new guys go -  C Oliver will be a beauty - and we hope that whatever occurs, leads to some real momentum going into the season proper.  Also, none on here know what the objectives are, which of course are set internally.

I, for one, feel somewhat satisfied that we have won the 2 Challenge games we've played thus far, regardless of what was put up against us on the park, on any given day, during the NAB.  For the MFC, leading into our season launch, the value and benefits of these wins may well be seen later in the season.

Let's just believe that momentum will build.

Edited by iv'a worn smith
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, ProDee said:

9xhlVn0.gif

Sorry what was your point then?

We played them both in two NAB games when they seem a fair way off, while ANB and Stretch are at this stage drastically underdone as far as match practice goes.  I'm questioning (like others have) why that's the case.

Edited by S_T