Saturday Talking Point: Game Day 27/2/16

Whispering_Jack

We hunted in packs for the footy in the second half which was great to see and actually had a plan heading into the forward 50 instead of just bombing it in.

I was very worried in that first half but they really turned it on in the second. 

Probaby the best pre season game I have seen us play in years.

Good signs!!

• Like 5

Kennedy showed signs in the second half that he has been showing in training. Beautiful thing that Garlett kicked his regulation three without being noticed much. Gawn proved what everyone is saying, best ruckman in the AFL! Hogan will need to do more if he wants to draw the big contract from MFC!!!!!!!! Jack Watts continues to develop into one of the most important players in the AFL.... catch up Media!!!! VDB does it all. Oliver the next Brayshaw. Game plan looks very good v top opposition. Oscar will not grab a spot until he cleans up contested possession. Salem is everything we predicted. Tyson gets caught lot but geez I love how he gets to the drop! Viney is already one of the best in and unders! Pederson proved why he is our best second ruck option AGAIN!!!! because he always snags one or two as well. Enough for now!

Edited by waynewussell
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

For a bunch of slow, poorly skilled, second rate headless chooks with a leaking defence, that wasn't too bad. Shame our season's over already.

yep but i hope we are wrong

• Like 1

No idea if we are fit enough. And we all know we won't be the most skilled or best ball movement team out there. But plenty of positives and a lot left to come with Hogan going at half pace and Jones and Vince to come back. Plus Brayshaw is hopefully ok and Petracca is still to come.

32 minutes ago, boydie said:

Why both? Pedersen is a forward who can provide a chop out in the ruck.

Frost is a defender playing forward to provide a chop out in the ruck.

Considering neither have got double figure possessions I'd be playing one of them and playing an additional runner not 2 low possession mid size talls.

I don't see a problem with Hogan in the square as leadup FF,   & with Frost/Tmac @ CHF,   & Pedo in the FP.   theres 3 tall forwards,  with one pushing up thru the midfield leaves 2 inside forward 60Mtrs as the ball comes forward.

I'd consider Dawes as backup to these 3 talls.  I see watts as a tall who is a small, so plays flanks or pockets, or on the centreline.

The defensive pressure in the forward line was the most impressive thing I took from today's game. Kent and Vandenberg in particular were very strong defensively. Tackling with intent, chasing hard and laying some heavy bumps.

Clayton Oliver looked the goods. He tackled like he was a man playing against 18 year olds, not the other way round. I think a GIF needs to be made of that tackle the umpires wrongly paid a free against.

Gawn looks like he's going to take it to another level this year.

Viney, Kennedy and Salem also stood out for the right reasons, as did some of Hogan's contested grabs.

For a NAB challenge hit-out it was very good viewing.

• Like 4

Scoring 95 points with Hoges only kicking 1 (?)  is very promising.  Also I liked what I saw from Oliver and Kennedy shown some good things. Good day all round,  a come from behind win away from home is great for the confidence! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gorgoroth said:

I thought Harmes was decent today, not everything he tried worked but he looked decent.

Kennedy's second half was flood. Oliver looks great, the speed he showed off the pack (in the second qtr I think it was) was awesome.

I agree with all of that. Harmes gave a spark with his intensity at the contest and straight running. Kennedy composed himself after half time and started finding space, he knows where the ball is going. The bursting clearance was very exciting. I hope we give him a chance to attack some contests roving Gawn, could be very exciting.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Moneider96 said:

Yeah, but we were a man down. I think that at least contributed to us having so many more interchanges than port. 

Port only played 25, so it was even numbers. We rotated more. Good for us I say. 2 more weeks to drop those numbers back. Port only have 1 more game.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Olgreybeard49 said:

Agree.  I think we bank what he gives - reads it well, marks it well and delivers it well (one exception at the end) and leave the robust tackle / bump to those better equipped.  No one will ever shudder with fear when they see him run their way.

I agree, he played quite well. Took a couple of the best marks I've seen him take

i wish he would back his kicking more. He had several chances near the 50m mark but short passed each time, sometimes into the pocket. If the opposition knew this bloke might kick long goals, it would help our cause a lot

2 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I agree, he played quite well. Took a couple of the best marks I've seen him take

i wish he would back his kicking more. He had several chances near the 50m mark but short passed each time, sometimes into the pocket. If the opposition knew this bloke might kick long goals, it would help our cause a lot

I don't think Watts can make the distance from a set shot outside 50. Not a lot of players can these days. Especially not with tide legs late in a preseason game.