Christian Petracca's toe injury (in full training)

DeeSpencer

In terms of whether the Track did the wrong thing playing basketball for me it depends a bit on what form of playing it took and how the injury occurred. Was he shooting some low key ball by himself (or perhaps with a mate) and rolled and ankle somehow, for example on a layup? Or was he having a scrimmage and playing with some intensity? I have a problem with the latter.

The other issue is how long did it take to report the injury. I'm not clear when it happened, the XMAS break is what the report said, which means it could have been before XMAS or the day before training i guess. But if it was last year then i wonder about the delay in letting the club know there might be a problem. I guess the injury might have so innocuous that he didn't realize till Monday there was an issue, But to break a toe he must have realised something had occurred i would have thought.

Alerting the club as soon as it happened might have meant getting treatment and into a moon boot earlier, which may be the difference between say playing NAB cup or not.

All supposition i guess, but i'd love to know when it actually occurred.

from mfc site - "  scans confirming a small crack to the fifth toe of his right foot. "

according to google the 5th toe is the smallest one. being a toe it's one of three small phalanges (toe bones)

LABELED_BONES_OF_THE_FOOT_2.jpg

Petracca to miss a portion of pre-season

melbournefc.com.au  January 5, 2016 5:57 PM

AFL 2015 Training - Melbourne 301115

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - NOVEMBER 30: Christian Petracca of the Demons runs during the Melbourne Demons training session at Gosch's Paddock, Melbourne on November 30, 2015. (Photo: Adam Trafford/AFL Media)

MELBOURNE’S Christian Petracca will miss a portion of the pre-season after injuring his toe during the Christmas break. 

Christian sustained the injury whilst playing basketball during the Christmas break period. He reported this soreness during screening on the first day back of pre-season training on Monday, with scans confirming a small crack to the fifth toe of his right foot.

Christian will spend the next four weeks off legs and will then progress his rehab to get him back to participating in full training. Christian will still be able to continue the strengthening component of his knee rehabilitation program while recovering from this injury. 

Melbourne Coach Paul Roos said “Christian’s rehab up until this point has been going really well, but when you’re an AFL player, you need to understand that everything you do impacts your ability to prepare and contribute to the team and this incident is clearly an interruption.  We have been very clear as a club  about not putting expectations on our first year players, so its important to keep some perspective about this - It’s a harsh lesson for Christian,  but one we are sure he is going to learn from as he develops as an AFL player.” 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

In terms of whether the Track did the wrong thing playing basketball for me it depends a bit on what form of playing it took and how the injury occurred. Was he shooting some low key ball by himself (or perhaps with a mate) and rolled and ankle somehow, for example on a layup? Or was he having a scrimmage and playing with some intensity? I have a problem with the latter.

The other issue is how long did it take to report the injury. I'm not clear when it happened, the XMAS break is what the report said, which means it could have been before XMAS or the day before training i guess. But if it was last year then i wonder about the delay in letting the club know there might be a problem. I guess the injury might have so innocuous that he didn't realize till Monday there was an issue, But to break a toe he must have realised something had occurred i would have thought.

Alerting the club as soon as it happened might have meant getting treatment and into a moon boot earlier, which may be the difference between say playing NAB cup or not.

All supposition i guess, but i'd love to know when it actually occurred.

On 9News last night Petracca stated he was playing basketball alone at home and landed awkwardly attempting a layup.

• Like 1

I have the facts.  Petracca is out for 4-6 weeks with a busted up fifth metatarsal.  He did it playing basketball in his backyard.  A selection of posters think he is a bit of an idiot.  A selection of posters think it's just one of those things.  I'm not bothered.  It is what it is.  I'm a Zen buddhist though.  

• Like 8

There are plenty of cases where players have got injured mucking around at other sports - Luc Longley's surfing when Chicago's centre injury springs to mind.

But the good thing is that we now have six or seven really exciting youngsters to swoon over, so the loss of one temporarily doesn't bring the walls down like it did three years ago when Jack Viney got injured.

Being the small toe (CP5 toe), it sounds like a minor setback - and he's still going to be in the mix for Round 1 - because he is a freak and one practice game as a forward next to Hoges will be enough to make everyone realise why he's favourite for the Rising Star award. 

46 minutes ago, pinkshark said:

I have the facts.  Petracca is out for 4-6 weeks with a busted up fifth metatarsal.  He did it playing basketball in his backyard.  A selection of posters think he is a bit of an idiot.  A selection of posters think it's just one of those things.  I'm not bothered.  It is what it is.  I'm a Zen buddhist though.  

It's like the sound of one foot snapping.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Deespicable said:

There are plenty of cases where players have got injured mucking around at other sports - Luc Longley's surfing when Chicago's centre injury springs to mind.

But the good thing is that we now have six or seven really exciting youngsters to swoon over, so the loss of one temporarily doesn't bring the walls down like it did three years ago when Jack Viney got injured.

Being the small toe (CP5 toe), it sounds like a minor setback - and he's still going to be in the mix for Round 1 - because he is a freak and one practice game as a forward next to Hoges will be enough to make everyone realise why he's favourite for the Rising Star award. 

Not too many where the guy hasn't played a game after being on the list for 15 months....

6 hours ago, daisycutter said:

from mfc site - "  scans confirming a small crack to the fifth toe of his right foot. "

according to google the 5th toe is the smallest one. being a toe it's one of three small phalanges (toe bones)

LABELED_BONES_OF_THE_FOOT_2.jpg

Petracca to miss a portion of pre-season

melbournefc.com.au  January 5, 2016 5:57 PM

AFL 2015 Training - Melbourne 301115

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - NOVEMBER 30: Christian Petracca of the Demons runs during the Melbourne Demons training session at Gosch's Paddock, Melbourne on November 30, 2015. (Photo: Adam Trafford/AFL Media)

MELBOURNE’S Christian Petracca will miss a portion of the pre-season after injuring his toe during the Christmas break. 

Christian sustained the injury whilst playing basketball during the Christmas break period. He reported this soreness during screening on the first day back of pre-season training on Monday, with scans confirming a small crack to the fifth toe of his right foot.

Christian will spend the next four weeks off legs and will then progress his rehab to get him back to participating in full training. Christian will still be able to continue the strengthening component of his knee rehabilitation program while recovering from this injury. 

Melbourne Coach Paul Roos said “Christian’s rehab up until this point has been going really well, but when you’re an AFL player, you need to understand that everything you do impacts your ability to prepare and contribute to the team and this incident is clearly an interruption.  We have been very clear as a club  about not putting expectations on our first year players, so its important to keep some perspective about this - It’s a harsh lesson for Christian,  but one we are sure he is going to learn from as he develops as an AFL player.” 

Ha ha ha !! dc that is hilarious!! What interest does a shagger of oldies like your good self have in the bones of the foot?

FMD!!

The old buggers would be on their back I'd imagine.

Haha ha ha !!!

FMD!!

1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Ha ha ha !! dc that is hilarious!! What interest does a shagger of oldies like your good self have in the bones of the foot?

FMD!!

The old buggers would be on their back I'd imagine.

Haha ha ha !!!

FMD!!

demonland has inspired me uncle bitters, to spread my wings and seek out new knowledge and truths.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robot Devil said:

Yes

I must be an injury savant. I'd prefer to be a punting savant but there you go.

Well if that's the case i have no issue with the Track. Surely some low key bball by himself is ok.

Edited by binman

My only thinking is whilst it's not end of the world stuff it was entirely preventable.

Though I'd facilitate all medical assistance I'd fine the idiot. 

Christian. You're now a professional athlete under contract. Grow some brains ffs.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

Wow.....The overreaction to this injury is mind blowing.   We have posters wanting to fine a player for an injury, other posters stating he must have been doing something stupid without knowing the circumstances.   Posters writing off the career of a player.....Posters becoming Doctors with diagrams of feet.

And I say how DARE he go outside when not required to by the footy club.   Doesn't he know that all 20 year old footballers sit on the couch and play X box, I just don't know what he was thinking.   Doesn't he know that it's a dangerous world out there?

Seriously, I jagged my hamstring walking the dog 3 days ago.   That's it     never walking him again. (It had nothing to do with my age ....Honest)

You cannot wrap players in cotton wool  and they have to have other interests than football 24/7.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The problem is not so much what it is right now, the worry is what it will be in 4 to 6 weeks' time.

in case anyone didn't notice, it actually developed that Frost missed the last 19 games cos of this...and he wasn't even at Casey at the end of the year, so it was a 5-month injury at least

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-20/toe-injury-to-sideline-dee

MELBOURNE will be without promising recruit Sam Frost for at least a month after scans revealed he has a broken toe.

The 21-year-old hurt his left toe during the second quarter of Saturday’s 25-point loss to Adelaide. He was immediately subbed out of the game.  

Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney said a scan had identified a small crack in the bottom of Frost's toe.

"At this stage, it’ll be a four-to-six week injury," Mahoney said.

Coach Paul Roos also provided a further update at his press conference on Monday afternoon.

"It's a crack in the second metatarsal, which is obviously really disappointing," Roos said.

"It looks like every team is going through a few injury worries at the moment but you've just got to cope with them unfortunately."

Frost crossed to the Demons during last year's trade period after 21 games with Greater Western Sydney and had impressed up forward and in a back-up ruck role in the first three games of the season.

Frost's injury has left Roos with several selection issues to contemplate as reshuffles the team ahead of Friday night's clash with Richmond.

The second-ruck options are likely to come from Max Gawn or Cameron Pedersen, or the Demons may decide to keep the side settled and deploy Chris Dawes in the back-up ruck role, as he did against the Crows on Saturday.

"Dawesy went into the ruck (against the Crows). It's probably something he hasn't done all that often and we thought he embraced that role reasonably well," Roos said.

"Casey (Scorpions) had a really good win on the weekend which is a chance to have a look at that role. It's always a tough one – that second ruck role because they need to play a fair bit forward.

"We'll have a good look at that and assess what we think we can do."

Roos also touched on the progress of former co-captain Jack Grimes, who is yet to break into Melbourne's side this season.

He said Grimes was working extremely hard in the VFL to earn his spot back.

"He's really supportive of the coaching group and he's really supportive of the players going out on to the field," Roos said.

"He knows he needs to work on some things, but he's really putting the club first which I really like."

Edited by Curry & Beer