Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Casey Scorpions Off Season News

KC from Casey

4 minutes ago, hells bells said:

Based on yesterday I reckon 1 game too early.

R3 - Casey Practice Match 75% Game time

R4 - Casey - Full Match

R5 - Melbourne debut v Richmond - Anzac Eve

I reckon Jack Trengove is a chance to return v the Pies 

Sounds good to me Hells

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, hells bells said:

R4 - Casey - Full Match

Love to see Weideman debut against the Pies.

5 minutes ago, hells bells said:

R4 - Casey - Full Match

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:30 PM, hells bells said:

I arrived about 10 minutes into the first quarter and as I walked in Trengove took a strong mark and kicked a great goal from about 40m.  It was a great sign.

It took me quite a while to work out who was who so I might have missed some of the good work by the MFC listed players in the 1st quarter by half time I had them pretty much pegged.  Having said that it took me till the last quarter to pick out Jayden Hunt.

Alex Neal-Bullen was the best demon player over 4 quarters, played in the centre and was constantly in the game, kicked a couple of goals following the ball forward.

Dunn played well at full back, looked short of a gallop but seemed to get better as the game went on.  Half way through the 3rd quarter he came off for a spell and i heard him say to someone on the interchange that he was fuched but he played a good last term.  I think he'd be right to come in next week.

Trengove was in everything early, moved very smoothly was clean and made good decisions.  Looked to be doing it pretty easily at this level to be honest.  He was rested for almost all of the 4th quarter.

Petracca was very good in patches, he was off and on the bench a lot and came off about half way through the 3rd quarter.  He has great hands in traffic, very soft.  I was surprised to see he had 20 touches.  

Hunt - As I said I didn't realise it was him until the last quarter and he was good.  He used his speed a few time and broke the lines but tends to blaze away and not kick it to the advantage of the forwards.

Weidemen was good, took some good marks, positioned himself well in the forward line and kicked straight from what I saw.  Still very raw, but isn't afraid to throw himself into the contest.  

Hulett - another i didn't realise who he was until late.  Will need time but did some nice things leading up to the wings.

I'll think of more later, any questions just ask.

Cheers,

HB

Without wanting to sound ungrateful for the information I'm wondering if those there could offer more.

Here are some questions that may help:

1.  What position did Petracca play?  What sort of possessions did he get - contested, marks, handball receives.  Did he look a class above with plenty of time or did he seem a little rushed given it was his first game for the club. How much game time did he get do you think?  Did he run with the ball and take players on or did he hand it of quickly.  What was his kicking like?  I'm trying to get a picture of what he was like.

2.  Same sort of questions for Trenners.

3.  Where did Grimes play?  How did he go?

4.  Any observations on Stretch, King or King beyond the brief sketches provided so far.

5.  ABN.  How was his delivery by hand and foot.  Did he run and spread?

6.  What was the opposition like.  They were beaten by 100+ points last week by Sandy.  Did they play many Hawk players and if so who. 

Thanks for any information that can be provided.

3 hours ago, CBDees said:

Love to see Weideman debut against the Pies.

It would be a nice irony, particularly were he to play an important rôle in a win. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Without wanting to sound ungrateful for the information I'm wondering if those there could offer more.

1.  What position did Petracca play?  What sort of possessions did he get - contested, marks, handball receives.  Did he look a class above with plenty of time or did he seem a little rushed given it was his first game for the club. How much game time did he get do you think?  Did he run with the ball and take players on or did he hand it of quickly.  What was his kicking like?  I'm trying to get a picture of what he was like.

4.  Any observations on Stretch, King or King beyond the brief sketches provided so far.

6.  What was the opposition like.  They were beaten by 100+ points last week by Sandy.  Did they play many Hawk players and if so who. 

Petracca played almost entirely on the HFF. I don't recall him starting in the middle but he may have when I wasn't paying attention.  Most of his touches that I saw were in close.  He would get the ball inside - hand off to a team mate - break away - get ball back and then kick.  His disposal looked very clean. 

Trengove was in the guts. I'd almost say he was like an old fashioned Centre.  In the middle for the bounces and then linking up in transition.  He also looked dangerous drifting forward.  Seemed to read the ball in flight better than most and was in best position to take the mark.  He got two and wasn't far off clunking another couple.  He didn't play like someone who had missed 2 years of footy.  He looked a class above.

Grimes was on the wing for most of the game.  Did a few nice things, but it was a typical Grimes game.  Didn't stand out.

i thought Stretch was very quiet, hardly seemed to touch it in the first half. Did better in the 2nd half.  One thing about Stretch which was good was that as soon as he got the ball he looked to play on to keep the ball moving. 

The Kings where difficult to decipher.  Similar body size, similar movements, similar numbers.  It's hard to say one was better than the other.  I remember thinking that I hope Gawn doesn't get injured because they both looked pretty raw.

ANB - I like him, he was tough, worked hard inside and outside.  Has a neat kick and was good in close.  He was constantly on the move and obviously has good endurance, he kept running at the end when others had slowed down.  

I can't judge what the level of opposition was like as I haven't watched enough VFL.  There was obviously a number of Hawks players on the ground as there were a number of high jumper numbers getting around.  Number 73 and 78 and 42 for BH were particularly good. I haven't been able to work out who they were.

• Like 8

Based on the match, if you had to select one of Stretch or Hunt in the seniors to help us with our outside run, which you you pick?

I'm a big fan of Stretch.

13 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

I only saw 2 and a half quarters, but fwiw...

Petracca played high half-forward/mid.  Unlike Hells I did see him attend at least two centre square ball-ups.  Over the ground I'd say he was 70/30 forward.  His day finished at around the 20 minute mark of the third quarter.  I left at 3/4 time, but I don't believe he played the last.

He did get contested possessions in tight, he wasn't rushed, and I saw one contested mark.  In that limited showing I couldn't say he stood out as a "class above", but he was composed with the footy (didn't rush) and on a couple of occasions he used his strength to get through traffic, brush off tackles and then kick into the forward-line.  When he had time he accurately spotted passes, but on a couple of those aggressive runs through the centre he wasn't quite able to pinpoint a player.  To get through unscathed and show some of his trademark attributes was a positive outcome.  I suspect he'd play another 3 games at Casey before being available for selection.

As HB says, Trengove did look a "class above".  His first half was quite prolific.  He kicked beautifully, took plenty of marks and was tackling hard right in the thick of things.  His tank looked really good and he covered the deck well.  We know he's not a speedster, but his speed of movement was fine.  He capped off the day with two goals from marks.  The first (in the first) was when he made space at CHF 40 metres out and the second (in the second) was a lovely mark deep near goal when his timing ensured he took the mark at the back of a pack.  I'm not physio or fitness expert, but I can honestly say that he looked fit enough to me to play next week.  I know he won't, but assuming his body/foot pulls up well I can't see why he couldn't play AFL in 2 weeks.  He was running as hard in the third as he was in the first.

I agree with the rest of HB's summation and I was really only interested in the two mentioned above, but I must say that I really like the Kings.  They are similar and both did some really classy things for talls.  Down the track I'm pretty excited what both can become.  I know Max is in his third year but I hope (think) they'll persist.  Callum Sinclair is a valuable player who originated from Port Melbourne and it's taken him years to get to where he has.  He's now 26.

I did think Dunn played quite well and really don't understand why he wasn't in the side against Essendon.

Hawthorn listed players included Tim O'Brien, Lovell, Brand, Pittonet, Hardwick, Miles, Stewart, Willsmore and Langford (his famous Dad was watching).  Casey had quite a bit more top-up talent.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, ProDee said:

I didn't notice him do much, but I was mainly there for Trengove and Petracca. 

Firstly, thanks guys for reports coming in...did Weids play whole game or only the half that he kicked 3 in, your reply would be very much appreciated 

17 minutes ago, jayceebee31 said:

Firstly, thanks guys for reports coming in...did Weids play whole game or only the half that he kicked 3 in, your reply would be very much appreciated 

Sorry, I didn't watch him at all.

3 hours ago, jayceebee31 said:

Weids played the full game, albeit it appeared they were monitoring his time on ground as he was on and off the bench. 

14 minutes ago, hells bells said:

Weids played the full game, albeit it appeared they were monitoring his time on ground as he was on and off the bench. 

Sincere thanks HB, seems,he must have become really tired or didn't perform in last half....your comments please.

2 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Many thanks for the reports. A little bit of good news in an otherwise depressing weekend of footy. 

I did not think it was that bad BB.

Yes the dees got done but it was hardly something we have not endured before.

It appears Trengrove and Petracca had good games at Casey after long lay off's

Otherwise what else bad happened? Freo and WGE  got done there was an up.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

No I wouldn't say he looked tired.  I was standing behind the interchange and the call would come from a guy on the computer. "Weideman, Hulett off - King, Frost on".  I got the impression it was more time on ground based than physical exertion based.

Remember it was only a Practice Match and they had an extended bench.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hells bells said:

No I wouldn't say he looked tired.  I was standing behind the interchange and the call would come from a guy on the computer. "Weideman, Hulett off - King, Frost on".  I got the impression it was more time on ground based than physical exertion based.

Remember it was only a Practice Match and they had an extended bench.

As a matter of interest, when VFL games commence properly, will they also have the same Interchange cap as the seniors?

And thanks to those who went and provided the above excellent reports.

1 minute ago, P-man said:

Fantastic, informative reports PD and HB. Much appreciated after the weekend gone.

Can someone remind me on the status of JKH? He's become something of a ghostly figure.

NGE P-man

13 hours ago, hells bells said:

Petracca played almost entirely on the HFF. I don't recall him starting in the middle but he may have when I wasn't paying attention.  Most of his touches that I saw were in close.  He would get the ball inside - hand off to a team mate - break away - get ball back and then kick.  His disposal looked very clean. 

Trengove was in the guts. I'd almost say he was like an old fashioned Centre.  In the middle for the bounces and then linking up in transition.  He also looked dangerous drifting forward.  Seemed to read the ball in flight better than most and was in best position to take the mark.  He got two and wasn't far off clunking another couple.  He didn't play like someone who had missed 2 years of footy.  He looked a class above.

Grimes was on the wing for most of the game.  Did a few nice things, but it was a typical Grimes game.  Didn't stand out.

i thought Stretch was very quiet, hardly seemed to touch it in the first half. Did better in the 2nd half.  One thing about Stretch which was good was that as soon as he got the ball he looked to play on to keep the ball moving. 

The Kings where difficult to decipher.  Similar body size, similar movements, similar numbers.  It's hard to say one was better than the other.  I remember thinking that I hope Gawn doesn't get injured because they both looked pretty raw.

ANB - I like him, he was tough, worked hard inside and outside.  Has a neat kick and was good in close.  He was constantly on the move and obviously has good endurance, he kept running at the end when others had slowed down.  

I can't judge what the level of opposition was like as I haven't watched enough VFL.  There was obviously a number of Hawks players on the ground as there were a number of high jumper numbers getting around.  Number 73 and 78 and 42 for BH were particularly good. I haven't been able to work out who they were.

I don't think Petracca will play until our senior team is fully fit,  with plenty of run in they're legs.   At the moment we have Oliver in his first season, still with a raw tank,  & also Angus who is under-done,  & also a kid.

If you look in those photo's, you notice how muscular Petracca is,  & with huge thighs as well.  To me this suggests he will run out of gas relatively quickly,  maybe this is why he went to the  'US'  for altitude training?

So I don't think the selectors will choose Oliver & Petracca in the same side in the next number of weeks anyway.

ANB sounds an interesting one right now,  & maybe he'll get a game if Tyson slips up?   Or if Oliver needs a rest anytime.

Trenners,  I reckon they'll gave him 6 games ++,   before they throw him into the mayhem.   Although he may need the tempo to remember how.

6 hours ago, old dee said:

NGE P-man

OD, repent...  you have caused our senior side to falter.    they just don't know what to do when you are spruiking such confidence in them...   back to your Old position,  to the backline with ya.

ANB , Stretch, Frost and Dunn should all play this week. 

Trengove  & Petracca need 3 weeks in Casey. Weideman needs to be in Casey for at least 10 weeks.

Team v North ...

Jetta t.mcd Dunn

Salem Frost Lamumba(just)

Vince Viney Stretch

Vdhbrg Pedersen (just) Kennedy

Gartlett HOGAN (just) Watts

Gawn Tyson(just) N.Jones

M. Jones Oliver Bugg ANB

outs... Garland Harmes Kent Brayshaw (Gus needs 2 weeks match fitness)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Six6Six said:

Interesting going frame by frame watching the chasing hawk's facial expressions.   He thought he was gonna have trac,  really wanted it,  until  'trac'  put on the after burners,  & alas,  the hawk was deeflated.

better luck next time hawk.