• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade Radio Discussion

What

If the Cats can get Clark firing they'll have another tilt or two in them.

Unfortunately.

Clarks a broken down crock he proved that for the 5 th season in a row this year .

Our second and fourth rounders for Melksham and their third rounder? Who knows. If it was as simple as a straight swap it's interesting it didn't happen today, so there may be a sticking point. They may be offering to bundle their 4th rounder but we want their 3rd.

Either way, it is Essendon and they notoriously bend over clubs at the table AND overvalue their own list.

Melksham and Bugg would be a good return for pick 25, certainly moreso than Melk alone. A bit like turning pick 23 into Frost/ANB/OMac last year. Gotta extract maximum value for what precious currency we have.

Sorry P Man - he has not been "woeful" for the past two years. He has not reached the heights of 2012/2013 but to suggest he has been "woeful" is not accurate.

( 9th in their B&F last year - hardly a ringing endorsement but also not quite woeful)

You're right. Not a ringing endorsement considering how utterly hapless they were on the field this year so really not noteworthy.

He was bloody awful in every Essendon game I watched. Turned it over habitually and looked a lost cause. Those who watched more of him than I did have said that was a common theme throughout.

By all means we can defend this trade based on past output, although that in itself is hardly awe inspiring, but surely not on recent output. He's a punt. The punt being that hopefully his poor form is temporary.

• Like 1

How the kids played 115 games and is 24 years old he had a great 2013 , Watts hasn't had a season like that it's a great win for the club and the kids had those dramas hovering over him now with shadow gone he will show his true worth well done Melbourne I'm so stoked the way Roos recruits the guys a winner.

Sounds more like a Goodwin recruit than a Roos recruit to me.

By the way, I don't have a problem with recruiting Milks and think he will add value..... just have concerns about what we are said to being paying for him. I'd have thought a middle to late 2nd round pick would have been more appropriate.

Fingers crossed we either have another 2nd rounder in the pipe-line that we are going to use instead or we are getting similarly equal value for one of our cast-offs which will make this look better in the wash up.

That's just me though, I always get a lot more excited by youngsters than I do cast-offs/ disgruntled pickups. If we can get some other good picks traded in then no-harm done.

• Like 2

Sounds more like a Goodwin recruit than a Roos recruit to me.

By the way, I don't have a problem with recruiting Milks and think he will add value..... just have concerns about what we are said to being paying for him. I'd have thought a middle to late 2nd round pick would have been more appropriate.

Fingers crossed we either have another 2nd rounder in the pipe-line that we are going to use instead or we are getting similarly equal value for one of our cast-offs which will make this look better in the wash up.

That's just me though, I always get a lot more excited by youngsters than I do cast-offs/ disgruntled pickups. If we can get some other good picks traded in then no-harm done.

Exactly

I've been saying since FA was bought in that the receiving club should have to give up something. This is what happened with Geelong and Danger.

Excellent result.

The only FA scenario in which the receiving club should give up anything is when a player is a restricted free agent and the initial offer is matched by the club that owns the restricted free agent, which then forces a trade negotiation. This is the Dangerfield situation. Adelaide still had a limited form of ownership over Dangerfield, so working out a trade is fine in that scenario.

If the receiving club has to give up something in any other FA scenario, then we don't have true free agency. Free agents by definition don't belong to any club. Why should a club losing a free agent be compensated for something that they no longer own? It makes no sense. Either the club does everything it can to bring that player back on a new contract before FA becomes an issue, or they lose the player to FA and try to lure another free agent to replace them. You win some and you lose some.

Compensation of any sort for losing free agents is a joke. What we have now in the AFL is a half-arsed bastardised version of FA that just distorts the player market. It distorts the national draft order if compensation picks are given to clubs losing FAs, all that does is push 17 other clubs down the draft order. Yes the MFC was a major beneficiary of this system with the Frawley compo, but we would never have got that pick if the AFL had a proper FA system. The trade market is distorted if teams don't want to make trades for fear of jeopardising their compensation pick. FA is supposed to increase player movement, not restrict it! The worst thing is that the incentives for free agents are totally skewed towards joining the stronger clubs at a given time due to the way the AFL has implemented FA. Putting arbitrary limitations on the length of time a player can serve with their club before a player can become a FA (I think it's 10 years currently before they reach unrestricted FA, I might be wrong there) just means that players will be incentivised to join the current contenders so that they can have a better chance of winning a flag in the couple of years they have left before retirement.

The sooner the the AFL and the Players Association take the clamps off FA and let the clubs fend for themselves, the better. We either have it in an undiluted form (ie a player is eligible for FA as soon as they are out of contract, no compensation for FA loss, restricted FA can still have a place) or we don't have it at all. FA should be the ultimate incentive for clubs to get their act together on and off field, otherwise they will be left behind. The clubs should really be left to sink or swim in the FA sea, but the way the system is currently set up, there will be only be a few big clubs doing the swimming.

Some people will disagree with that, and that's fine. Feel free. All I'm saying is that the AFL shouldn't half-bake FA because it throws up other consequences for player movement and it increases the gap between the haves and the have-nots. Do it properly or don't do it.

• Like 1

Realistic outcome:

Howe = Melksham

Toumpas = B.Kennedy

Grimes = Bugg

Watts = 2nd rounder giving us 4 picks inside 43

Does that really improve our list much if it eventuates? Maybe a little... maybe not

Highlights:

Patrick Dangerfield is officially a Geelong player. He was the first player traded today along with pick 50 in exchange for Geelong's picks 9, 28 and player Dean Gore. Adelaide and Geelong avoided the free agency compensation system by electing to trade for Dangerfield instead.

Geelong's Dean Gore has been traded from Geelong to Adelaide as part of the Patrick Dangerfield trade. Gore was taken at pick 55 in the 2014 NAB AFL National Draft.

Scott Selwood will join his brother Joel in being a Geelong player next year after officially joining the club today as a free agent. The deal became final when the Eagles elected not to match the Cats' offer for Selwood as a free agent.

Hawthorn midfielder Jed Anderson has officially asked the Hawks to be traded away from the club. List manager Graham Wright told NAB Trade Radio that while Anderson was contracted, the Hawks would look for a trade, but would hold onto Anderson should the deal not be satisfactory.

Jeremy Howe has reportedly told Melbourne he wants to play elsewhere next season, with several clubs still hunting the services of the high-flying swingman.

Jake Melksham appears certain to be a Melbourne player next season, with the deal to get him to the club on the verge of being signed. It is expected that a second round draft pick will get the job done in a straight swap between the Demons and the Bombers.

Brisbane ruckman Matthew Leuenberger has nominated Essendon as his club of choice as he seeks to leave the Brisbane Lions as a restricted free agent. The Bombers have lodged the paperwork for Leuenberger and must now wait to see if the Lions match any deal.

Hawthorn has ruled itself out of the running to secure Chris Yarran from the Blues, after being told it was highly likely he would end up at Richmond. List manager Graham Wright telling NAB Trade Radio they had spoken to Yarran's management, but were informed the deal was all but done with the Tigers.

Some people will disagree with that, and that's fine. Feel free. All I'm saying is that the AFL shouldn't half-bake FA because it throws up other consequences for player movement and it increases the gap between the haves and the have-nots. Do it properly or don't do it.

I agree with you that free agnecy should be like it is in the nba and if a player is out of contract than they are a free agent able to sign with any list. Still have restricted free agency.

The way this works so well in the US is that once in contract, that player can be shipped out without permission. No picking out a club when it is trade time.

NBA also sets a max contract and gives the team that owns the player the ability to sign them for more than the competition... NBA system should be what they look at, other than the lottery system.

Players need to give something to lower the age of free agency. Right now it is a half baked version.

• Like 2

I agree with you that free agnecy should be like it is in the nba and if a player is out of contract than they are a free agent able to sign with any list. Still have restricted free agency.

The way this works so well in the US is that once in contract, that player can be shipped out without permission. No picking out a club when it is trade time.

NBA also sets a max contract and gives the team that owns the player the ability to sign them for more than the competition... NBA system should be what they look at, other than the lottery system.

Players need to give something to lower the age of free agency. Right now it is a half baked version.

Agree. Trade the contract rather than the player and things will open right up. I think the AFLPA will object to it, but they will need to grow up and accept it as part of being in a professional sporting competition.

• Like 1

Band 3 compo sounds about right for both. Selwood doesn't even fit in the Eagles best 22.

He was vice-captain until this afternoon. I think his ankles have been really hampering him for the last two years. He was worth pick 20 in 2013.

Band 3 compo sounds about right for both. Selwood doesn't even fit in the Eagles best 22.

If that's the case why do the cats want him? He's got plenty of good footy in him IMO cats won there.