Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB – JAKE MELKSHAM

Theo

The problem with this argument is you need to factor in every player drafter by pick 25 or later from those drafts, not just the pick alone.

Very good point. There have been any number of excellent players taken higher than 25 that recruiters have simply missed or who have been able to go to a higher level (raise the draft age!).

None the less drafting remains a lottery and i'm happy the club is looking at Melksham. A point i have made before is that the other problems with draft picks for us is that we are at risk of having a poor age profile with lots of young players and few in that crucial 75-100 game zone.

A good age spread is crucial, particularity given we are likely to lose Howe who is in that category (and maybe Grimes?) and getting Melksham in, and to a lesser extent Bugg and Kennedy, allows us more flexibility with our other draft picks.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

All opinions point to the fact that the draft is indeed a lottery as some have pointed out.

Melksham will thrive in our (new) environment in my opinion. Not many players in the whole league who have some of the skills this kid has.

And as far as my 'Collingwood supporting mate said this' and my 'Essendon supporting mate said this......' Really have a good think about that before affixing any relevance at all please....

This reminds me of the Frost trade for a second rounder where people got their knickers in a knot. Obviously there was a method involved and the result was Frost, ANB and Oscar Mc for the one pick. Good deal I reckon. Not to mention extra picks giving us the ability to delist more if they see fit.

I think I'll trust our FD on this one.

Edited by DeeMfc
  • Like 4

Well, considering that the deal hasn't been done yet and the vague language of a 'second round pick' - perhaps we are trying to secure another 2nd round pick to give for Melksham.

... or we're asking for a third round pick back

... or, as ManDee pointed out, we're offering a second-round pick from next year, not this year - which will probably be a later pick, and will come after the WADA issue has been resolved one way or t'other (and, with any luck, after Melksham's had a stellar season in the games he does play)

I think the language from Mahoney is that the trade will involve a second round pick - it's Dodo who's assuming that this means pick 25.

But of course this could all be wrong - it could be just pick 25, although if that's the case, one can't help but wonder why they're taking so long to close what seems such a simple deal.

Well, considering that the deal hasn't been done yet and the vague language of a 'second round pick' - perhaps we are trying to secure another 2nd round pick to give for Melksham.

Probably complicated by Dodoro specifically stating and interpreting that it would be pick 25, as opposed to our presumably deliberate wording of a "2nd round pick" allowing for the event where we downgrade a pick in the 2nd round.

There seems to be three possible reasons for the delay in finalising the Melksham deal:

1. Essendon are being their usual dumb arzes and asking for more compensation, in which case we should stop negotiating immediately (and wait for them to come crawling back to us next week), or

2. We expect to get away with paying less compensation. I don't blame us for playing hard ball, but I think we are kidding ourselves - slap $1.6 million worth of contract in front of a player and there is a fair argument that pick 25 is reasonable compensation, or

3. We are still working on a deal for a much better player than Melksham (please let this be the case).

Mahoney said a second round pick.

Perhaps next years after the WADA findings have been finalised.

I would say YES if that is the case.

I would say no. Next year's draft looks far deeper in talent, I'd much prefer giving up this year's.

It's funny that Dodoro said it's for pick 25 and JM said that it would be a second rounder and that 25 would be around the mark. I expect this will take till next week now. We'll be trying to get a pick closer to 30 to trade to the Bombers.

Good planning by the club if that's what's happening.

It's funny that Dodoro said it's for pick 25 and JM said that it would be a second rounder and that 25 would be around the mark. I expect this will take till next week now. We'll be trying to get a pick closer to 30 to trade to the Bombers.

Good planning by the club if that's what's happening.

As long as it doesn't hold up any other trades - for example, if we need an extra third-rounder to on-trade.

As other posters have mentioned, a large slice of the entire AFL commentariat thinks that pick 25 is overs and that a 3rd rounder back is totally reasonable.

But Dodoro seems to get less pleasure out of a reasonable trade than he does from gridlocking another club's entire trading period.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I can't help wondering if there is a battle being played out for positioning in the draft, and the Dons and us might be jostling for the same player in the draft via the draft table.

By offering up pick 25 we kind of have the upper hand over them with any other deals that they/we have brewing (ie. the Carslile - StKilda 2 for one pick 5 downgrade trade) and this might be contributing to the delay with the Melksham deal being confirmed.

Why give up our hand so early in the piece if there are still other fishies still on the table? Not saying the Melksham deal won't get done, just that we are milking our position (pun kind of intended) for everything that we can get.

Edited by Roosy's Bruisers
  • Like 1

I would say no. Next year's draft looks far deeper in talent, I'd much prefer giving up this year's.

The reason I suggested next years draft was that it would be subject to the WADA findings and next year hopefully it will be a later pick than 25.

• Like 1

Nice to see Barrett keeps tabs on Demonland....

I feel dirty now...

Isn't it ironic that the media report that the AFL have turned trade period into such a hyped up show, whereas in actual fact, it's root cause is probably found more at the fingertips of forum posters. Hacks like Barrett and co plagiarise and sensationalise it a little and fuel the big dirty trade period monster.

• Like 3

Take this with a grain of salt, but I can't help wondering if there is a battle being played out for positioning in the draft, and the Dons and us might be jostling for the same player in the draft via the draft table.

By offering up pick 25 we kind of have the upper hand over them with any other deals that they/we have brewing (ie. the Carslile - StKilda 2 for one pick 5 downgrade trade) and this might be contributing to the delay with the Melksham deal being confirmed.

Why give up our hand so early in the piece if there are still other fishies still on the table? Not saying the Melksham deal won't get done, just that we are milking our position (pun kind of intended) for everything that we can get.

Spot on. There is no rush, no other team is going to pay a second rounder for Melksham. Maybe Collingwood want 25 for Kennedy - who I rate a far better prospect than Melksham - so perhaps we are trying to keep 25 for Kennedy, and are trying to free up a second rounder somewhere else.

Zerohanger.com are reporting its a done deal straight swap for 25

Reported yesterday and still no deal on the table. Trades have closed for the night so we will have to speculate for another day. If Collingwood are the ones who are getting Howe, then 25 for Melksham does look like it will get done. Maybe we need to hold off to make sure we get Kennedy.

I cannot remember when we've had such a long drawn out process for what we thought was an open and shut trade. Freaking Essondon - just take a 4th rounder and be done with it :P

Reported yesterday and still no deal on the table. Trades have closed for the night so we will have to speculate for another day. If Collingwood are the ones who are getting Howe, then 25 for Melksham does look like it will get done. Maybe we need to hold off to make sure we get Kennedy.

I cannot remember when we've had such a long drawn out process for what we thought was an open and shut trade. Freaking Essondon - just take a 4th rounder and be done with it :P

Im pretty sure Trades can still continue?

Im pretty sure Trades can still continue?

sure can 24/7 its just when the office is 'open' to lodge !! :unsure: