Colin Garland

stevethemanjordan

Colin Garland - Keep or Let go?  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Josh Mahoney on SEN said Garland announcement will be in next few days. He will stay.

• Like 1

I'm ambivalent about this.

Grateful that a good clubman is sticking with Melbourne, but as a player he gave me my share of heart attacks this year.

Hopefully now that he doesn't have to focus on contract negotiations, he can spend more time thinking about where to kick the ball. I think his output will lift next season.

Overall, he is a good player to have for his flexibility. I think I'm happy with the outcome, as our compensation probably would have been small change anyway.

• Like 2

I'm ambivalent about this.

Grateful that a good clubman is sticking with Melbourne, but as a player he gave me my share of heart attacks this year.

Go read what he said about chasing success (or just read my signature).

These are the kinds of players I want at my club, even if they aren't champion A graders.

We all cry at night thinking of Hogan leaving, but if you don't extend a level of loyalty and support to your older players who have stuck it out, how can we expect young potential stars to do the same? Loyalty goes both ways.

And just by the way, he is a good defender, very versatile in being able to play tall and small, and has been fairly consistent for many years. We could do a hell of a lot worse!

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 14

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-10-07/colin-garland-contract

“I told my manager I didn’t want to speak to any other club, but it’s funny after seeing one of my great mates [James Frawley] win a premiership on the weekend, because you have to be envious of success,” he said.

“I was watching the game and people said ‘wouldn’t you love success?’ and I said ‘it wouldn’t mean anything to me unless it was with Melbourne’.

Show's that you can't read much into "body language" on field.

After reading that I am ecstatic he has signed on. Exactly the type of person we need around the club as we build forward.

• Like 18

The question now is will stevetheman jump up and down and yell about how this is a massive mistake and how Garland is a spud or will he slip quietly into the night?

I for one am over the moon Garlo has signed on, especially after the quote outlined above.

• Like 1

Go read what he said about chasing success (or just read my signature).

I've turned signatures off, but I agree it's a brilliant quote and I can fully appreciate what he is saying.

I am grateful for his attitude because it is rare in football today and no doubt Frawley's premiership came on the back of a lot of hard work from other people so it could feel a bit hollow.

However, as a player Garland doesn't excite me hence the mixed emotions.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

The question now is will stevetheman jump up and down and yell about how this is a massive mistake and how Garland is a spud or will he slip quietly into the night?

I for one am over the moon Garlo has signed on, especially after the quote outlined above.

Fat chance. We're all dumb and stupid for not seeing things like him. He needs to tell us constantly, so don't worry, he'll show up.

• Like 2

Just a terrific comment!!

Edited by watchtheeyes

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-10-07/colin-garland-contract

Show's that you can't read much into "body language" on field.

After reading that I am ecstatic he has signed on. Exactly the type of person we need around the club as we build forward.

This. Very underrated true Melbourne player. Good on ya Col.
  • Like 2

Absolutely the attitude that builds a winning team.

“I was watching the game and people said ‘wouldn’t you love success?’ and I said ‘it wouldn’t mean anything to me unless it was with Melbourne’.

Super impressed from just one quote.

• Like 3

Good afternoon.

What to say.

Clearly the club values him highly and after reading that article it seems that his heart and head are with helping us move up the ladder. It was quite impressive to be honest...

Obviously my opinion is based on what I see on game day either at the ground or on the television and clearly as a supporter, you don't and can't know all.

And clearly I don't.

I'll back Garland and the club on the decision and hope he can recapture his 2013 form next year as we desperately need him playing consistently high level football.

I don't back away from my criticism of certain aspects of his playing. There are many things I'd like to see gone from his game next year and plenty of things I'd like to see added. I'd love to see some aggression added to his game, greater endurance and will to run and for him to minimise his decision making errors. He's always been good as a one-on-one defender but I want to see that 2013 versatility come back into his game.

Thank you for your commitment Colin, I look forward to a big pre-season of running followed by a consistent year of footy.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 26

Good afternoon.

What to say.

Clearly the club values him highly and after reading that article it seems that he's heart and head are with helping us move up the ladder. It was quite impressive to be honest.

Obviously my opinion is based on what I see on game day either at the ground or on the television and clearly as a supporter, you don't and can't know all.

And clearly I don't.

I'll back Garland and the club on the decision and hope he can recapture his 2013 form next year as we desperately need him playing consistently high level football.

I don't back away from my criticism of certain aspects of his playing. There are many things I'd like to see gone from his game next year and plenty of things I'd like to see added. I'd love to see some aggression added to his game, greater endurance and will to run and for him to minimise his decision making errors. He's always been good as a one-on-one defender but I want to see that 2013 versatility come back into his game.

Thank you for your commitment Colin, I look forward to a big pre-season of running followed by a consistent year of footy.

I'm impressed Steve. A well thought out response. That's good to see.

• Like 6

Good afternoon.

What to say.

Clearly the club values him highly and after reading that article it seems that he's heart and head are with helping us move up the ladder. It was quite impressive to be honest.

And clearly I don't.

It appears I was wrong, no huffing and puffing and no running and hiding, just a well considered response. Who woulda thought!

I think his quotes go to show what many of us have seen in him in that he bleeds for the club and would do anything to see us succeed, I think he has been a bit bogged down in the last couple of years purely due to the weight of trying to carry the team up the ladder. We now have people to help so hopefully he does rise up again and capture some of the 2013 form back.

• Like 1

Good afternoon.

What to say.

And clearly I don't.

Well said. Despite being on the extreme other end of opinions on this, his re-signing doesn't make you wrong or us right - we're all just mugs on the outer, forming our own opinions, influenced by our own biases and seeing an incomplete picture. That's what makes forums fun.

Needless to say, I'm really pleased for Col and glad the club has backed him. Loved that quote.

• Like 4

Glad this is done.

Thought after around round 9 he was probably our best back for the year. His play was quite good and he managed to let go of his habit to give away silly free kicks.

An important and versatile player. MacDonald is very good and Dunn is good, but each have some flaws and Col covers them well.