Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Play on, Adam. Play on

Lucifers Hero

Fair enough, would you say there is a distinction in a tribe and what was an Aboriginal 'nation', which had tribes within it?

i'd be inclined to agree with hardtack. "mobs" sounds good to me rather than nations

or even just "tribes" made up of smaller sub groups

it can get a bit semantic though, but personally i don't think nations conveys the appropriate structure

i'd be inclined to agree with hardtack. "mobs" sounds good to me rather than nations

or even just "tribes" made up of smaller sub groups

it can get a bit semantic though, but personally i don't think nations conveys the appropriate structure

hard to consider a people who were nomadic as nations.

hard to consider a people who were nomadic as nations.

Nowhere near as nomadic as people think. and when they were nomadic it wasn't across the entire continent, it was within their lands.

There was actual built towns in the western district which housed communities pre european settlement, they had silos adn baked bread etc, they weren't the nomadic hunter gatherer that is taught in school, it was far more complex. The oldest astrological site on the planet is also just north of the YouYangs somewhere, pre dates stone henge by millenia.

• Like 3

Do people dislike Michael Long for that reason? Nicky Winmar? How about Jimmy Toumpas? (He's a multicultural ambassador) Billy Brownless once tried to start a political career, does he get booed everywhere he goes?

I think Long began his activism after football ,Nicky Winmar made a symbolic gesture on field of some significance.

I think your point was in relation to my statement about people mixing sport with politics.

Was it ?

The political importance of Billy Brownless escapes me.

That is great information about Toumpas being a multicultural ambassador.

My favourite Greek spokesman on multiculturalism is still Prince Phillip,by a mile.

• Like 1

I feel that a lot of society does in fact want to move on from the past because they feel that they weren't responsible for what has happened and, when the race card gets pulled, they're ultimately offended by it because it's so easy to apply it and is done so in such a liberal fashion.

• Like 1

I feel that a lot of society does in fact want to move on from the past because they feel that they weren't responsible for what has happened and, when the race card gets pulled, they're ultimately offended by it because it's so easy to apply it and is done so in such a liberal fashion.

There is one problem with that, racial intolerance and issues are not in the past, they are better than in the past but they are not gone. Due to that we are all still to some degree responsible, that may be that we didn't call out racism when we saw it, that we didn't stand up for a minority when we should have, it doesn't mean we are responsible because we activly shun minority groups, just that we don't take any action to make sure that doesn't happen.

Just have a look at the incarceration rates, or death in gaol rates, or education rates, or etc etc etc of out Indigenous people. I don't know the solution, and we have tries to find one, but I wont bury my head and say it is all too hard or it doesn't exist anymore. The fact the Melbourne footy club are involved in the clean faces campaign (to make sure Aboriginal kids have clean faces so they don't get eye diseases) is probably the thing I am most proud about this club doing, I am rapt we have a partnership with the NT and that we go up there and try and make a difference, it is probably the only reason they still get my membership money if I am honest. The fact this program is needed is a national disgrace, but at least we are working towards a better future.

• Like 2

I think there is a backlash to this globally,with some justification.

Whenever there is a debate about Islam,those who speak against it are immediately told they are victimising darker/brown peoples.The debate shifts from theology to race.

Any reasonable argument from then on is lost.

There are some pathetic white people who run around with a heavy burden of guilt from 200-400 years ago and others who can try to look at an argument objectively.

• Like 2

I think Long began his activism after football ,Nicky Winmar made a symbolic gesture on field of some significance.

I think your point was in relation to my statement about people mixing sport with politics.

Was it ?

The political importance of Billy Brownless escapes me.

That is great information about Toumpas being a multicultural ambassador.

My favourite Greek spokesman on multiculturalism is still Prince Phillip,by a mile.

Last line made me spit my coffee out in laughter Biff. Very good.

I think there is a backlash to this globally,with some justification.

Whenever there is a debate about Islam,those who speak against it are immediately told they are victimising darker/brown peoples.The debate shifts from theology to race.

Any reasonable argument from then on is lost.

There are some pathetic white people who run around with a heavy burden of guilt from 200-400 years ago and others who can try to look at an argument objectively.

Biffen, someone's hacked into your account. The argument above is sensibly constructed and formatted. You need to contact the Administrators and get your identity back.

• Like 1

Goodes gets relentlessly booed because he reacts to it.

Show weakness in this game and you will be targeted .

Wayne Carey was booed in every game I can remember because he was arrogant and was the best player of his time. It was water off a ducks back pun intended. When he came back for Adelaide the booing stopped because he was just an ordinary player even with all the other stuff that had come out about him.

Goodes is one of the best players of the era but needed to just come out and say boo me if you like it's just makes me play better. All the other stuff is now just media fodder . Michael Long just laughed of all the boos and Nicky Winmar became a well liked player for his stance against racism.

• Like 2

That Goalkeeper that said that 'Goodes should be deported' had a subsequent tweet about the previous 200 hundred years of pain that a follower brought up: "Australia said sorry, couldn't everybody move on?"

To me, this is worse than the 'deporting' nonsense.

The country apologised for the Stolen Generations - where government acted as judgment over lifestyle and culture and removed people from their families (in their best interests of course...).

That apology isn't the end of racism, and the Stolen Generation isn't the sum of the calamities endured by indigenous Australians.

And here we are telling them to put that inflammatory card back in their pockets when they have the gall to bring up issues that are important to them in our Democracy.

The 'Race Card' is lazy, boiler plate nonsense that just tries to provide cover for racists to pass off criticism as 'whinging' or 'entitlement'...

Well, I reckon the country is strong enough to discuss this - my friends haven't, I think it is about time.

No, it is not ok to call someone an 'ape' and yes, I think we should change the date of Australia Day, and I applaud people that use their position to speak about things that are important to them.

• Like 4

I commend Lucifer for the original post here and I find it heartening that there seems to be a few dees supporters with a decent understanding of these issues.

One important aspect of this debate is the need to understand why 'ape' is such an insult.

This article sums it up:

https://theconversation.com/the-ape-insult-a-short-history-of-a-racist-idea-14808

• Like 3

Australia will remain a racist country while people such as Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt are given a voice in mainstream media

What both of them have said and written this week makes me ashamed of my country

I just wish Adam had taken that 13 yr old girl up to central Australia and educated her. Made it a reconciliation that the average australian could identify with.

If that had happened i doubt anybody would be booing at all.

I doubt Goodes will play again. That is sad.

• Like 4

Last line made me spit my coffee out in laughter Biff. Very good.

Anyone that can feed off his woman for 75 years and just crack offensive one liners for a living has my full endorsement!!

• Like 2

Forever playing the victim

Just like a petulant 10 year old boy that's failed to do his homework

Completely sick of it.

Or a 13 year old girl coming to your office and calling you an 'ape'...

• Like 1

Anyone sharing Waleed Aly or The Conversation is as bad as someone sharing Andrew Bolt.

Except Aly is of a minority and has some credibility and experience in racism. Whereas Bolt has verified experience as a racist.

Edited by Moonshadow

Anyone sharing Waleed Aly or The Conversation is as bad as someone sharing Andrew Bolt.

Sharing articles based on years of academic research is the equal of posting the opinion of one bigot??

they must fight back NOW, before they lose all they're peoples identities.

How about they just be Australians like the rest of us.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1