Some serious questions asked about Paul Roos ...

dazzledavey36

More likely, King read this thread on Demonland on Roos taking a back-seat: http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38646-paul-roos-to-take-back-seat/?hl=roos. The week before this thread there was an article on the mfc website discussing the transition in 2016

One of my posts in that thread include these points:

The transition will probably be:

- Goodwin to do less player development and take more training/coaching sessions this year.

- Goodwin to play a big role in the 2015 a trade/draft process

- Goodwin takes a chunk of the pre-season coaching work.

- Goodwin to probably coach the NAB games in his own right, without Roos in the box (or even at the game).

- Roos starts coaching from the boundary for part/all of some games towards the middle of 2016 (depending on our wins/losses)

- Goodwin does more work with the board, sponsors and the press in 2016.

- In Sept 2016 Roos walks away.

We have already seen the first of these points happening.

I reckon King bookmarks stuff during the year only to regurgitate it at a time it suits and he makes out he is 'in the know'.

He has nothing to add!

• Like 6

You've been robbed LH, you should have taken out an IP patent to ensure this travesty is avoided otherwise you'll end up like the poor guy* that invented front doors (no IP rights back then I tell ya), and people will be just coming and going without so much as an acknowledgement of his contribution to the greater good.

*In the interest of gender equity the front door in all probability was invented by a woman, but 10,000 years of patriarchal oppression means that a male probably took the credit for it.

• Like 2

Really? I would have thought any Senior Coach worth his salt would want to make himself the "good cop" and ensure one or more of is assistants undertook the "bad cop" role.

That arrangement seems to work well for the mafia...and (successful) politicians.

Nup...you rarely hear a bad word about an assistant coach from players. You will hear some about the senior coach as he's the one with the authority, the one who drops you, the one who yells at you in an effort to motivate, the one who tells you your career is over.

I've told this before but I remember meeting a player in a bar just on Christmas a number of years back now. Their coach was previously their assistant coach, the player said he was a great assistant but turned into an absolute .....after getting the senior job. He couldn't believe it was the same bloke, thought he had developed some mental illness.

Just a great piece of groundbreaking news from David King, basically repeating what Paul Roos has been saying all year. Every time he's been asked will Goodwin take on more responsibility and more of a lead in tactics he's said he would. It simply makes sense.

Well done Kingy.

• Like 2

Did anyone see 360 last night?

I heard David King said something about Roos but I can't stand Robbo so I never look at it other than when Bucks And Roos have there segment.

Any info appreciated.

COULD Melbourne begin making the coaching switch between Paul Roos and Simon Goodwin as early as next year?

Fox Footy analyst David King believes that may be the case, suggesting Goodwin will be handed more responsibility at the Dees during the off-season.

While King said Roos will still be expected hold the title of senior coach in 2016, he revealed a potential transition period may be “on the cards” at Melbourne.

“Word reaches me that it may be time for a bit of a handover,” King told AFL 360. “It might be this pre-season where Simon Goodwin takes control of the strategy and the pre-season planning.

“They’ll change dramatically how they play. They’ll start to change from the one-on-one brand under Paul Roos into a spatial defence, like what we’ve seen at the Western Bulldogs under Luke Beveridge.

“You’ll see more scoring, you’ll see better defending ... it’s modern football.”

Goodwin, a 275-game player at Adelaide, spent four years as an assistant coach at Essendon before joining Melbourne in September 2014.

Under the terms of his five-year contract, he would serve as Roos’ assistant for two years at the Dees before assuming the senior coaching position for a further three seasons in 2017.

But King believes the time may be right for the 38-year-old to gain more control.

“I think it’s a good time, too,” King continued.

“With Roosy, you can look at the numbers and make a case either way. You can say they’ve improved, you can say they haven’t improved. But on the numbers, you would say there is a platform there now.

“The time is right and I think you’ll see an improvement like you saw at the Western Bulldogs this year.”

King went on to state how he believes next year will unfold at Melbourne from a coaching perspective.

“I think Paul will stay as coach and still help them through the day-to-day role, but I think Simon will have much more to do during the pre-season period — that’s the mail I’m getting,” King said.

Captain King Obvious. That is not news. Dumbest article ever. Roos has said as much himself.

It's not rocket science - if there's to be a handover in any form of employment, a transition of taking on more responsibilities, or taking the reins in certain situations, such as a pre-season or on match days from the box - is prudent of a club for smooth transition or making sure everyone is on the same page.

• Like 1

Nice work if you can get it, being paid $1m a year plus and you get to hand over most of your responsibilities to your successor.

If we get around 10-11 wins next year I think we'll be able to say that Roos was a good investment, remembering how far back we have come from

COULD Melbourne begin making the coaching switch between Paul Roos and Simon Goodwin as early as next year?

Fox Footy analyst David King believes that may be the case, suggesting Goodwin will be handed more responsibility at the Dees during the off-season.

While King said Roos will still be expected hold the title of senior coach in 2016, he revealed a potential transition period may be “on the cards” at Melbourne.

“Word reaches me that it may be time for a bit of a handover,” King told AFL 360. “It might be this pre-season where Simon Goodwin takes control of the strategy and the pre-season planning.

“They’ll change dramatically how they play. They’ll start to change from the one-on-one brand under Paul Roos into a spatial defence, like what we’ve seen at the Western Bulldogs under Luke Beveridge.

“You’ll see more scoring, you’ll see better defending ... it’s modern football.”

Goodwin, a 275-game player at Adelaide, spent four years as an assistant coach at Essendon before joining Melbourne in September 2014.

Under the terms of his five-year contract, he would serve as Roos’ assistant for two years at the Dees before assuming the senior coaching position for a further three seasons in 2017.

But King believes the time may be right for the 38-year-old to gain more control.

“I think it’s a good time, too,” King continued.

“With Roosy, you can look at the numbers and make a case either way. You can say they’ve improved, you can say they haven’t improved. But on the numbers, you would say there is a platform there now.

“The time is right and I think you’ll see an improvement like you saw at the Western Bulldogs this year.”

King went on to state how he believes next year will unfold at Melbourne from a coaching perspective.

“I think Paul will stay as coach and still help them through the day-to-day role, but I think Simon will have much more to do during the pre-season period — that’s the mail I’m getting,” King said.

Thanks PD. That's not quite like others have reported it. "Word reaches me that it might be time for a bit of a handover". Interesting.

Jungle drums........... of course nothing will be officially said.

You've been robbed LH, you should have taken out an IP patent to ensure this travesty is avoided otherwise you'll end up like the poor guy* that invented front doors (no IP rights back then I tell ya), and people will be just coming and going without so much as an acknowledgement of his contribution to the greater good.

*In the interest of gender equity the front door in all probability was invented by a woman, but 10,000 years of patriarchal oppression means that a male probably took the credit for it.

Witty post grazperson

• Like 1

Thanks PD. That's not quite like others have reported it. "Word reaches me that it might be time for a bit of a handover". Interesting.

Jungle drums........... of course nothing will be officially said.

I watched the 360 program, and PD's post is accurate.

It's the speed of the bleeding that is interesting.

Do you mean in view of the fact that Roos was initially prepared to sign on for 2 years but then agreed to the third? (at a time when we didn't have a potential successor on board)

In other words, that it was probably the original intention that he would hand over earlier than 2017, provided that we had somebody reasonable to hand over to?

None of this is a surprise; I think that both Roos & MFC have both been pretty open about that's how they expect things to pan out. There's nothing clandestine, surely. Did anybody really expect that Roos would coach until the end of 2016 before handing over?

If anything, it's a massive vote of confidence in Goody from Roos that he feels that he's at the standard where he can begin to take more of the responsibilities, especially in instituting what King refers to as "modern football".

Why do you find it interesting BB? Do you have a problem with it?

I find it interesting, but I can see what they're doing.

I always find this sort of stuff interesting H_T. Whilst many like to pontificate on on field issues I like to look at off field issues. My record isn't bad. And whilst many here like to shoot the messenger when they don't like what they hear I'll always listen because at the end of the day David King will have very good contacts in footy and his opinion means something. I found this single sentence interesting “Word reaches me that it may be time for a bit of a handover,” .

That may be a harmless statement or it may be a significant statement. My understanding from all Roos has said is that the changeover would take place during the 2016 season. King seems to be suggesting something different. If he does mean something different then why is the changeover happening earlier. Is Goody doing such a good job they want to get him in there earlier or is Roos on the nose. Certainly Roos public performance this year has been less than pristine. I just like joining the dots and speculating.

Let me reiterate. Roos has been sensational for this club and Jackson is a genius. But I'm of the view that on field performance was not the primary reason Jackson got Roos.

It's all good. Word I've got is Goody is the real deal. It's just an interesting thing when the jungle drums start beating.

• Like 3

I always find this sort of stuff interesting H_T. Whilst many like to pontificate on on field issues I like to look at off field issues. My record isn't bad. And whilst many here like to shoot the messenger when they don't like what they hear I'll always listen because at the end of the day David King will have very good contacts in footy and his opinion means something. I found this single sentence interesting “Word reaches me that it may be time for a bit of a handover,” .

That may be a harmless statement or it may be a significant statement. My understanding from all Roos has said is that the changeover would take place during the 2016 season. King seems to be suggesting something different. If he does mean something different then why is the changeover happening earlier. Is Goody doing such a good job they want to get him in there earlier or is Roos on the nose. Certainly Roos public performance this year has been less than pristine. I just like joining the dots and speculating.

Let me reiterate. Roos has been sensational for this club and Jackson is a genius. But I'm of the view that on field performance was not the primary reason Jackson got Roos.

It's all good. Word I've got is Goody is the real deal. It's just an interesting thing when the jungle drums start beating.

Looking at it when we're no longer playing in the season, one could argue that on-field performance was one of the last things that we brought Roos in for. (I'm sure I've heard Roos say, or at least intimate, that point himself. Maybe I imagined it.)

Roos will still be the public face of the club. Without a doubt. He will probably still be leading the player management (as, IMO, this is where his true strengths lie). But the nitty-gritty, day-to-day, training and gameplan stuff that is traditionally the role of the senior coach is probably already in transition to Goodwin. It just means, while he's finding his feet as a senior coach, there aren't media-led witch hunts as to why 'Goodwin's team' aren't performing/meeting expectations/whatever. It also removes some of the pressure of being the public face of the MFC, which as we have seen, is half the job anyway. Take some of the heat off, while the team set about trying to meet his expectations.

I have no doubt that it's all a front, and luckily, the media are all too happy to play along.

If it works, Jackson looks like a genius. If it doesn't, well, at least we get a few more years before we completely implode.

• Like 1

David King has written the equivalent of a "DOG BITES MAN" article. ZZZZZZZZ

Every time I turn on fox footy DK is talking he never stops actually sometimes I hear him talking when the tellys turned off
  • Like 1

Yeah but who invented the back door?

Cue Benny Hill theme.