Brisbane Lions Consider Asking for Priority Picks

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbourne-chief-peter-jackson-says-brisbane-lions-shouldnt-get-a-priority-pick-20150801-gipdrb.html

Peter Jackson objects to Lions getting a pp:

"...While he refused discuss the Lions' plight in detail, he thought the commission had set a precedent last season.

"All I know is that when Melbourne sought it, it was the worst seven-year performance in the modern history of the AFL," he said. "If ever there was a case based on what that priority pick was about, we had the case."

Great to hear Jackson stand up for us and tell it as it is!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 11

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbourne-chief-peter-jackson-says-brisbane-lions-shouldnt-get-a-priority-pick-20150801-gipdrb.html

"...While he refused discuss the Lions' plight in detail, he thought the commission had set a precedent last season.

"All I know is that when Melbourne sought it, it was the worst seven-year performance in the modern history of the AFL," he said. "If ever there was a case based on what that priority pick was about, we had the case."

preach PJ, preach

stand your ground Demons...
  • Like 1

I agree with PJ's logic but I also agree with the idea that teams struggling at the bottom need draft help. It will be interesting to see how the AFL handle this. I suspect they will get pick 2 for Luenberger as a leg up just as we got pick 3 for Frawley. They don't give PP anymore just over compo for FA's perhaps. Twisted logic in my opinion but that is the AFL. There ain't too many rational thinkers amongst the administration and we know the Commission is full of unthinking drones pulling a stipend for nodding yes when asked to by Gill or Evans that is if they are actually awake.

• Like 1

I agree with PJ's logic but I also agree with the idea that teams struggling at the bottom need draft help. It will be interesting to see how the AFL handle this. I suspect they will get pick 2 for Luenberger as a leg up just as we got pick 3 for Frawley. They don't give PP anymore just over compo for FA's perhaps. Twisted logic in my opinion but that is the AFL. There ain't too many rational thinkers amongst the administration and we know the Commission is full of unthinking drones pulling a stipend for nodding yes when asked to by Gill or Evans that is if they are actually awake.

Luenberger won't attract the type of contract Frawley did - at least I don't think he will.

There is no way the Lions should get a PP.

They traded away Crisp, pick 5 and 25 this year. That would be Crisp, DeGoey and Touk Miller.

All the sudden they'd look well placed. Rockliff was out much of the year, Hanley, loss of Merritt didn't help.

No way they should receive a PP. AFL should've played their cards smarter last year. This short sighted mob in charge should've seen this coming.

I thought it was an easy play last year to allocate MFC a priority pick, we needed one, and the AFL would've ensured they were well placed to help out the struggling teams.

Now they have put themselves in a rather difficult position. There are teams that need help, yet the AFL would have to compromise themselves A LOT in order to help them.

They would lose all respect. It would be the actions of a very incompetent and short sighted AFL board. The league is already a joke, I don't think the AFL can give Brisbane a PP now, even if they wanted to.

• Like 2

Luenberger won't attract the type of contract Frawley did - at least I don't think he will.

They traded away Crisp, pick 5 and 25 this year. That would be Crisp, DeGoey and Touk Miller.

All the sudden they'd look well placed. Rockliff was out much of the year, Hanley, loss of Merritt didn't help.

No way they should receive a PP. AFL should've played their cards smarter last year. This short sighted mob in charge should've seen this coming.

I thought it was an easy play last year to allocate MFC a priority pick, we needed one, and the AFL would've ensured they were well placed to help out the struggling teams.

Now they have put themselves in a rather difficult position. There are teams that need help, yet the AFL would have to compromise themselves A LOT in order to help them.

They would lose all respect. It would be the actions of a very incompetent and short sighted AFL board. The league is already a joke, I don't think the AFL can give Brisbane a PP now, even if they wanted to.

Yes I think in a round about way you are saying what I said. Yes the AFL have painted themselves into a corner on PP's. But only if they are held to any account for consistency and fairness. No garrantee on that. The AFL Commission are a joke and don't register on anyone's radar.

• Like 1

Leunberger did his knee today, which means his free agency value is gone.

This will weaken the compo pick for the lions. I doubt Leunberger will have many suitors given his injury history. He will go cheap.

• Like 1

Beams out for the season as well.

There are genuine problems at Brisbane off-field. A priority pick isn't going to help them.

Not sure how season ending injuries equate to off-field problems Lam?

I would bet my lefty that the afl will think hard and long about how to make a priority pick or two seem fair, after saying no to us for 3 years, and then, after deciding they cant find a way to make it look fair, will say "stuff it, lets give them one anyway"

Edited by faultydet

Apologies, were two separate issues. One need only look at their injury list to see why they're not performing on-field.

And one doesn't need to investigate far to see they have a toxic culture bubbling beneath the surface which is seeing players leaving en masse every off-season.

• Like 1

Apologies, were two separate issues. One need only look at their injury list to see why they're not performing on-field.

And one doesn't need to investigate far to see they have a toxic culture bubbling beneath the surface which is seeing players leaving en masse every off-season.

Party boy culture?

Easy trap to fall into in Sth East Qld.

Happy drugs, and little spotlight.

• Like 1

I believe that if they made the first 8 picks (bottom half of ladder) a raffle, weighted in the lowest clubs favour (as WJack mentioned a few years back) then the AFL would not need to be worried about embarrassment, for giving out a priority pick, because the ladder would have more integrity... the bottom side would be on the bottom, honestly, rather than via planning.

Not sure how season ending injuries equate to off-field problems Lam?

I would bet my lefty that the afl will think hard and long about how to make a priority pick or two seem fair, after saying no to us for 3 years, and then, after deciding they cant find a way to make it look fair, will say "stuff it, lets give them one anyway"

if they did it via aggregate over a grouped 3Yr term, I can't see how it should be a problem.

... the issue wasn't the priority pick ; that in itself is a good idea.

I think the problem was the certainty of which any club could be sure they would get they're targeted player. by actively losing required games, to achieve just that.

preach PJ, preach

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

I believe that if they made the first 8 picks (bottom half of ladder) a raffle, weighted in the lowest clubs favour (as WJack mentioned a few years back) then the AFL would not need to be worried about embarrassment, for giving out a priority pick, because the ladder would have more integrity... the bottom side would be on the bottom, honestly, rather than via planning.

Yeah I think that would work. They could make it a raffle with a statistical advantage to those closer to the bottom - but no guarantee of drawing out pick 1.

Jamar and Jones.M for Zorko and Rockliffe.

To help them out.

DL need a bit more detail because all you have said is that the bottom 8 sides will have access to the bottom 8 picks but now based on luck not on how they ended in the ladder. Umh that is not going to help things much. My thoughts are the first 10 picks go to the bottom clubs in order of failure as is now. But then the next 8 picks to make up the first round could be raffled appropriately to provide a leg up but not promote tanking! Which we all agree has never happened, wink, wink.

While Brisbane would be incredibly hypocritical to ask for a priority pick, I have some sympathy with the Lions given they have lost so many players due to homesickness. Moreover, the gap in quality between the best sides and the worst sides in the AFL is still huge and I feel the fairest way to bridge the difference is via the draft and salary cap. (This gap needs to narrow IMO, because I am sick of watching so many uneven games of footy.) But the decision by the AFL that priority picks now be handed out by the commission arbitrarily leads to activism against the pick being given by the other 17 clubs. Brisbane, indeed, were a key complainant against Melbourne getting a priority pick in 2013 when Voss was in charge. Greg Swann also lobbied hard against Melbourne being overcompensated for Frawley leaving last year. It is therefore impossible for Melbourne supporters to feel Brisbane deserve a priority pick when we didnt get one, especially given our performances were much, much worse and because Brisbane look to be playing well below their capability this year.

Personally, I feel the AFL needs to consider revising the draft order so that all the sides outside the finals have two picks prior to the top 8. This would be essentially a priority pick for every team that misses the finals and would take away the annual debate which is bad for football.

The whole Jackson interview on 3AW was pure class - and how he very politely but definitively put down Caro on several occasions was just beautiful to hear.

What a class act he is - we are so privileged to have him at our club.

Edited by monoccular

Yesterday, on TAC Future Stars Nathan Brown and Terry Wallace both agreed that Brisbane should get a priority pick.

What a joke.

• Like 2

Yesterday, on TAC Future Stars Nathan Brown and Terry Wallace both agreed that Brisbane should get a priority pick.

What a joke.

They shouldn't get one. Brisbane have mismanaged their early draft picks. They traded us a first round pick for Travis Johnstone.

Threw away Henderson and an early pick for Fev. Traded a promising young kid in Crisp, and dished off pick 5 and 25 - for Beams.

The AFL shouldn't reward mismanagement. If anything they should reward MFC for improving. I hope we put in for an application for a PP just to make Brisbanes application less likely.

• Like 1