Jokes more damaging than Defamation.

Redleg

We were fined $500k, for employing an Official, who was found to have joked to his recruiting staff in a private club meeting, that he would sack the lot of them if we didn't get the number 1 pick in the draft that year. Most people at the time thought that in itself was a joke, considering the real offence was tanking and it was acknowledged that many clubs did it and were rewarded with draft picks.

The Bombers' Coach recently attacked several past and present AFL Officials, basically calling them liars and dishonest or corrupt.

Yesterday the CEO of the AFL said neither the Coach nor his Club would be punished, as the AFL just wanted to get on with the game. Not even a please explain.

I ask any reasonable person to decide which statement was more likely to bring the game into disrepute.

It seems that a private joke, when made in a lowly club, is far more damaging to the game, than public statements, denigrating the very people running the game, made by someone from a powerful club.

Well I have a new joke and it is the preceding line.

Hey hang on, I might get fined by the AFL.

• Like 12

Interesting Redleg when you put it in that perspective. Did Gil really say that about them not wanting to punish anyone, silly comment. Thats been pretty clear from the beginning i guess.

Interesting Redleg when you put it in that perspective. Did Gil really say that about them not wanting to punish anyone, silly comment. Thats been pretty clear from the beginning i guess.

Yes, that is what i heard him say and there is also an article in the Age and I think on the AFL web site.

• Like 1

The AFL is a joke...run by clowns.

• Like 6

The AFL is a joke...run by clowns.

the AFL commission has never been accepted by the power clubs as justified, especially in the early days, & the Power clubs made the afl commission their toyboys.

this is the beginning of the end of Footy as we knew it.

the power clubs curse & the commission shivers.

the issue is things are done behind the iron curtain of secrecy.... ssshh, secrecy is the enemy of all people.

& the ruin of good things. including our great game.

Powerful individuals gain out of secrecy, & the ordinary folk all suffer as a consequence.

• Like 1

4730.jpg

Look at this guy.

disrepute: 'the state of being held in low esteem by the public.'

For 500k... It's all a joke.

Honestly, I think the AFL's in much better hands with Gil McLachlan. I'm happy that they just move on after Hirdy's comments, the same thing they should've done after Connolly's.

Smashing everyone because Anderson made a mess of our inquiry doesn't benefit the game and doesn't [censored] our situation.

Edited by H_T
Foul language; unnecessary
  • Like 1

Red leg - you are right on the ball.

And, the [censored] even said that it was important that EssDrug was winning matches!! How is that for an impartial AFL Official to say? He means by saying that he needs EssDrug winning games that less important clubs must be losing games.

What an absolute <person who tosses>!

• Like 2

Some years ago, Roos made a light-hearted comment during the NAB cup about not trying to win. The AFL investigated him.

Libba spilt the beans about Carlton's tanking. Vlad's repsonse was to vilify and ridicule him.

The Australia Football League. The byword in self-serving arbitrariness and vindictiveness.

Basically they make it up as they go along.

Meanwhile ... they were never going to slap Hird for his recent comments as they are too scared what he might let slip if they push him too far.

• Like 6

Some years ago, Roos made a light-hearted comment during the NAB cup about not trying to win. The AFL investigated him.

Libba spilt the beans about Carlton's tanking. Vlad's repsonse was to vilify and ridicule him.

The Australia Football League. The byword in self-serving arbitrariness and vindictiveness.

Meanwhile ... they were never going to slap Hird for his recent comments as they are too scared what he might let slip if they push him too far.

and then there was a swans player who dared to suggest some players took drugs.....tsk....tsk

• Like 2

and then there was a swans player who dared to suggest some players took drugs.....tsk....tsk

He was absolutely crucified by Demetriou and his lackeys in the press.

All they needed to do was quietly speak to him.

Said he has received no apology.

• Like 3

Never mind the Melbourne Football Club, the AFL came down harder on Callum Ward's mum.

Noxious internal politics.

The AFL administration, right through and into every corner, is in dire need of a bit of flooding sunlight.

It needs a CEO from the outside. The current one is hopeless conflicted.
  • Like 3

If only it was as simple as you portray it.

Melbourne weren't fined for a joke.

Here's the thing Pro Dee, there are certain clubs the AFL hovers around ready to take action and those whose wrong doings have to be shoved into their face before they take any action at all. I.e. the AFL were fully aware of Phat Phil Scully receiving a payment for sitting on his ample arse and identifying players via youtube from Parramatta Maccas and only did something when it was uncovered. And by doing something I mean fack all.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 2

But that is what the penalty said. We employed an official who in a private meeting told recruiters that we had to get the first draft pick or he would sack them all. That is exactly what the evidence and finding was. We were not actually found guilty of deliberately losing games.

4730.jpg

Look at this guy.

disrepute: 'the state of being held in low esteem by the public.'

For 500k... It's all a joke.

Honestly, I think the AFL's in much better hands with Gil McLachlan. I'm happy that they just move on after Hirdy's comments, the same thing they should've done after Connolly's.

Smashing everyone because Anderson made a mess of our inquiry doesn't benefit the game and doesn't [censored] our situation.

I don't. I think Dill and his mate Evans along with the self interested non performing commission headed by Mike"I leave the room" Fitzpatrick are making it easier for soccer to become the major code in this country.

They're not even making the fight interesting...

Edited by H_T
As above

But that is what the penalty said. We employed an official who in a private meeting told recruiters that we had to get the first draft pick or he would sack them all. That is exactly what the evidence and finding was. We were not actually found guilty of deliberately losing games.

Oh come on. We all know we tanked and we all know the charge and the penalty were massaged so the AFL didn't get investigated by external bureaus for running a rigged comp.

What sets people off is the sheer unfairness of being investigated while the ones who wrote the blueprint got off scot free.

• Like 3

Oh come on. We all know we tanked and we all know the charge and the penalty were massaged so the AFL didn't get investigated by external bureaus for running a rigged comp.

What sets people off is the sheer unfairness of being investigated while the ones who wrote the blueprint got off scot free.

Yes we all know that. That is what I was getting at, that they massage and manage everything.

I don't. I think Dill and his mate Evans along with the self interested non performing commission headed by Mike"I leave the room" Fitzpatrick are making it easier for soccer to become the major code in this country.

They're not even making the fight interesting...

Soccer's where the money is.

Also the fame, travel, longevity and decent video games. If I had a choice to be a star in either sport, I know what I'd be choosing.

All the AFL has is that it's tougher and faster paced. Two things that are getting micro-managed out of the game.

I like Roos' current suggestion to strip the game back to how it was 10 years ago, but leave in throwing the ball up to see if it resolves the congestion issue at least.

You have a short memory if you think this administration is worse than Demetriou, Anderson and Gieschen.

• Like 1

this is why he's still coaching; imo..... & why he went on a paid overseas business course to france, & came back still as coach. imo, he was meant to walk away?

hirs seems to make it up as he goes along

I reckon if the truth came out, a hornets nest of trouble could erupt... & a lot of good people could get hturdt

Edited by dee-luded

& there was another player, a premiership hero from the Lions, who insinuated that a certain individual from another afl club (high flying) was running incredibly hard, much more-so than previous seasons, & wondered HOW? ..... wondered out aloud, as it were 100-s.gif

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1