• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jimmy Toumpas (Coming of age)?

picket fence

He is building nice but I have been taken in by too many false dawns on players that have apparently arrived. Ill keep my powder dry for a while longer yet.

What I will say is that he has played 25 games and is 21 years old. Many are way too quick to make judgement. I understand the debate around the likes of Bail and McKenzie - we are at a stage where we know what their best is going to be. We certainly need to give youth time to develop.

Something else can be said is that he's got more tools in his kitbag than we all thought.

Ok been a long time critic and so even though this is one of the worst loses I can remember I must make mention of his effort today!

I thought he was terrific today, won outside and more importantly for me, inside ball and made mostly some good decisions!

I hope he can go on from here because if what he provided today can be continued, then his place in the draft and promise to be lived up to will be vindicated. 1 great game in three years ! Lets see what he offers next week!

And before you start gloating Dazzle man, get stuffed!!

It is a good start from both last week and you with this. Here is hoping more humble pie is needed but nice hand up on that PF

Has played well against StK and Western Bulldogs, ordinary young sides. You'd hope a pick 4 would, 3 years in. Needs to do it when the chips are down against a top side.

Still seems to not want to take responsibility for kicking the thing. Broke a tackle in the square, streaming toward 50, you'd hope he'd hit a forward lace out or run to 50 and goal. Instead handpassed it backwards to Gawn. Seems to want to always pass it off like a hot potato when he's one of the better kicks in the side.

A couple more 20 possession, 2 goal games and maybe a side will fall into giving us something decent for him.

lol at your stupidity.

• Like 11

One thing I find intolerable now is the match day threads reading other supporters bagging out toumpas and the vitriol they harp on about. Shameful stuff. Then when others can see he turns his game around a quarter later and plays very well they cannot bring themselves to say something positive. Makes me more infuriated than our fluctuating fortunes. P1ssweak supporters, keyboard heroes who don't have it in them to support a guy trying his best. He deserves recognition when he plays well.

Where are these so called supporters now?

• Like 14

It's always best to wait and see with draftees and/or players who haven't been given enough opportunities - unless it's absolutely obvious and even then it's easy to jump the gun. Hogan, Brayshaw, Salem & Viney all look to have bright futures but all 4 will still need to improve a lot before we can lay claim to them being top players.

Toumpas still hasn't proved himself to a large degree but who is to say whether he will prove himself to be a top player or not? My evaluation (so far) is that he runs hard to position and is creating lots of options - he likes to get his hands on the ball which is always a good sign.

I'd like to think that his composure under pressure will improve as he gets more games under his belt - 30-40 more games will bring him up to the 60-70 game benchmark (when we can then confidently make a more defined evaluation)

That evaluation might happen earlier if he hits his straps before that 60-70 game benchmark. Again, we just have to wait and see. I'm just happy to see him given opportunities over other players who have been given lots of opportunities previously (and have been found wanting)

• Like 6

Toumpas has the ability. He needs an injury free period and to be given games to build confidence. Like must young men he needs constructive comment and positive support. I like his attitude to the game and his teammates. He could become a great player in the future. We need to support Toump and our team of developing players not bag them. They offer hope for the future

• Like 9

It's always best to wait and see with draftees and/or players who haven't been given enough opportunities - unless it's absolutely obvious and even then it's easy to jump the gun. Hogan, Brayshaw, Salem & Viney all look to have bright futures but all 4 will still need to improve a lot before we can lay claim to them being top players.

Toumpas still hasn't proved himself to a large degree but who is to say whether he will prove himself to be a top player or not? My evaluation (so far) is that he runs hard to position and is creating lots of options - he likes to get his hands on the ball which is always a good sign.

I'd like to think that his composure under pressure will improve as he gets more games under his belt - 30-40 more games will bring him up to the 60-70 game benchmark (when we can then confidently make a more defined

That evaluation might happen earlier if he hits his straps before that 60-70 game benchmark. Again, we just have to wait and see. I'm just happy to see him given opportunities over other players who have been given lots of opportunities previously (and have been found wanting)

Macca does he need more than eleven games to prove he will make it? I suspect your answer will be yes.

If so will he get them his contract is up in eleven games?

Macca does he need more than eleven games to prove he will make it? I suspect your answer will be yes.

... old dee, you would know that any given player needs 60-70 games under his belt before we can give a more accurate appraisal of a player. That rule of thumb has always been a good benchmark figure.

By the end of the season Toumpas might have played a total of 36 games (he's still only played 25 games - a number of those games as a sub) I still see him as a young draftee finding his way.

It's true he's out of contract so there are any number of outcomes - he might receive a decent offer elsewhere, we may want to keep him no matter what, we might want to trade him if the right offer came along, he might want to move anyway, who knows?

Irrespective of draft position he's a young player capable of some good footy with some nice attributes, really highly rated work ethic and only in his 3rd year. He's going to get a 2-3 year deal from some club and I'm sure Melbourne will be offering him a similar length of contract. He's got 11 games left to increase his negotiating power. Right now he's probably down in the dumps but overall I'd expect he'd be enjoying his footy at the moment (probably for the first time at Melbourne) and whilst my philosophy is all players are tradeable if you get a great offer I think he'd be keen to stay and other clubs wouldn't be overly interested just yet.

Free agency is more likely than not to be lowered to 6 years IMO and probably within the next 3. So it wouldn't surprise me to see Toumpas sign for 3 years. If he holds his current form for the next 11 weeks I'd be comfortable with the club giving him a 3 year deal on reasonable money and getting him locked away.

Edited by Georgiou R.R. Martin
  • Like 2

... old dee, you would know that any given player needs 60-70 games under his belt before we can give a more accurate appraisal of a player. That rule of thumb has always been a good benchmark figure.

By the end of the season Toumpas might have played a total of 36 games (he's still only played 25 games - a number of those games as a sub) I still see him as a young draftee finding his way.

It's true he's out of contract so there are any number of outcomes - he might receive a decent offer elsewhere, we may want to keep him no matter what, we might want to trade him if the right offer came along, he might want to move anyway, who knows?

I guess what I was asking was will he get time?

I suspect (because we all really have no idea )that they are playing him to see if he can show enough to give him another contract.

I have never been a fan but I will say he has improved over the last month.

The next eleven weeks could be very important to.his future.

Right now IMO he is not justifying his no. 4 drafting.

However that is not the be all.

If he can develop into a useful player who is best 22 I will be happy.

Irrespective of draft position he's a young player capable of some good footy with some nice attributes, really highly rated work ethic and only in his 3rd year. He's going to get a 2-3 year deal from some club and I'm sure Melbourne will be offering him a similar length of contract. He's got 11 games left to increase his negotiating power. Right now he's probably down in the dumps but overall I'd expect he'd be enjoying his footy at the moment (probably for the first time at Melbourne) and whilst my philosophy is all players are tradeable if you get a great offer I think he'd be keen to stay and other clubs wouldn't be overly interested just yet.

Free agency is more likely than not to be lowered to 6 years IMO and probably within the next 3. So it wouldn't surprise me to see Toumpas sign for 3 years. If he holds his current form for the next 11 weeks I'd be comfortable with the club giving him a 3 year deal on reasonable money and getting him locked away.

So you think he has shown enough to give him three years .

The jury is out for another eleven weeks IMO.

Well, I hope that comes about OD, not often we see the word "happy" in one of your posts.

Happy to say it when I am bing not many opertuntities in the last decade.

Not every top twenty pick turns into a champion getting a useful player after the totally failures of the last decade seems positively orgasmic.

I guess what I was asking was will he get time?

I suspect (because we all really have no idea )that they are playing him to see if he can show enough to give him another contract.

I have never been a fan but I will say he has improved over the last month.

The next eleven weeks could be very important to.his future.

If he can develop into a useful player who is best 22 I will be happy.

It's far too early to tell after 25 games (in my opinion)

My ambition for Jimmy would be for him to be the best player he can be - if that's in our best dozen players in a team that can play finals, he will have done quite well. Any more than that is purely up to the player himself.

Edited by Macca

Happy to say it when I am bing not many opertuntities in the last decade.

Not every top twenty pick turns into a champion getting a useful player after the totally failures of the last decade seems positively orgasmic.

Had a few tonight have we OD? You're not wrong about the feeling of getting one of our top picks right... unfamiliar is what I'd call it.

Had a few tonight have we OD? You're not wrong about the feeling of getting one of our top picks right... unfamiliar is what I'd call it.

None sadly Django and yes very unfamiliar territory.

Jimmy T has a place in our developing best 22. Brayshaw, Viney, Jones, Petracca provide the inside grunt. Tyson the flowing ruck rover. Vince the class. Toumpas can provide the run and kick wingman role. Add in Darcy Parish from this years draft and the midfield will be competitive with anyone.

What do you expect from those inbreds.

You call Picket Fence a tool, then make this inane comment.

Get hold of a mirror and have a good hard look at yourself.

• Like 3

The benefits of full pre seasons are abundantly clear with Jimmy. He has had a stinking run with injuries and im hoping he can keep his body in check and his improvement and form will continue as well.

He works hard and uses the football really well, which help create the foundations of a good footballer.

Here's hoping he can continue his form and work ethic of the last 4-5 weeks.

• Like 3

Jimmy's problem has never been his effort. It's great to see his team mates looking for him in space and using him well. His hard running and understanding of the game-plan, speed or AFL and leading patterns are paying off.

He's also got a bit more pace than he's given credit for and is getting a bit of separation on his opponents.

I if i was Roos, i'd be keeping Toumpas in the side for the rest of the year. Big call because form should have a say, but Jimmy needs time in the seniors to continually build his self-belief on playing at the highest level without the fear of being banished to Casey. He also needs to build his belief that he should continue to take the game on, even if there are times if he turns the ball over.

The confidence he showed playing in the SANFL for W-WT and his willingness to continually take the game on, is the Toumpas we need to bring out at the MFC.

• Like 7

I think the problem is the expectation that you draft a player and he comes out of the blocks firing like Brayshaw.

A great percentage of players do take 3-4 seasons to blossom.

I am not sure if Toumpas will or won't make it but what I can see is he is improving week on week and at 21 I would suggest he is going to get another contract.

He can panic under pressure but again - 25 games in - this can improve ( for the record Tmac, who I am a fan of, has the same "moments"). I am glad that those calling him timid have stopped - he has no problem putting his body on the line when it counts.

• Like 7