Changes vs the Saints

What

How amusing was the collective groan from all the MFC supporters when he handpassed to Dunn as he was being tackled from behind by Cloke in the 2nd quarter?

He could have kicked it himself he was so open.

he has improved little by little, but has a long way to go

hasn't yet adjusted to afl tempo

looks to hand ball too often and lacks poise and confidence

but at least is getting to more contests and has got his possession count up

• Like 2

Anyone that singles out Toumpas today really does need to question their bias. Wasn't our best, far from our worst. Starting to get his hands on it and getting the right contested/uncontested balance and unlike most of our other mids runs to space. Made a couple of errors but not on his own there. Newton, Riley and M Jones clearly more likely to go out based on output and impact. I would make three but would not be surprised just Vandenberg for Tyson.

Out Vandenberg, M Jones, Newton

In Tyson, ANB, Grimes

Toumpas is going to take time. We really have no choice there. I think he is improving, still does a lot wrong - but IMO that is expected, he hasn't played much top level footy.

I'd like to see him improve on some simple errors though, he needs to put more grunt into his handballs, and needs to work on his composure, he handballs opponents into trouble a lot. I think the focus for Jimmy should be on all the 1% plays. Strip it back to absolute basics and just work up from there. That being said, he is improving as the weeks go by - which is encouraging for him.

Edited by KingDingAling
  • Like 4

Minimal changes would be nice. I don't wanna see 4-5 changes every week unless guys are knocking the door down. Maybe just Tyson for Vandenberg. Don't think we are screaming out for Grimes even though he was a bit hard done by.

Fitzy was better than last week and showed some value in the ruck. I think Toumpas stays in because he's improving, still has his flaws but is moving better and finding the ball.

Dawes should prove himself in the 2s before he's reconsidered.

• Like 2

Funny BRFE I have been an optimist with Toumpas and still hold out hope but his decision in the first quarter to kick the ball blindly over his shoulder into play when he was 1m out from Collingwoods goal and storming towards their goal was so bad I am starting to really wonder.

That was a shocking decision. He seems prone to 1 or 2 shockers per game particularly early but generally his decision making and execution are good. I guess I still see a 20 game player who is finding his feet and improving. He wont be a superstar but I think he will be continue to improve and be a quality player.

• Like 1

vandenberg is an obvious out, and fitz has no match up. newton and matt jones did very little today.

OUT: fitzpatrick, vandenberg, m jones

IN: tyson, anb, michie

newton very lucky.

toumpas runs to the right spots to get the ball, but he's a turnover merchant. he has company in that regard throughout the entire playing group.

StKilda play two rucks in Hickey and Longer. I suspect that will be Fitzs job.

I do love him, but Gawn doesn't have a tank and was really exposed by Grundy I thought - Will probably get another chance though just for Roos to confirm that we really are [censored] in the ruck department

For those who want Fitzy out? Why? I didn't even notice him up until his error in the goal square. Because Jesse White had done absolutely nothing for the whole game! He will stay in the side I think

Out: Jones, vandenBerg

In: Tyson, ANB

I thought he did more good things than bad MC. His ruckwork was exceptional at times and his positioning seemed pretty good. FWIW, I think Gawn allowed our midifeld to get on top today and while I think you're right about his tank, I reckon he's the long-term option for us and we should continue to throw him in the deep end.

• Like 5

This is a classic case where the statistics don't tell the full story, he was timid and didn't hurt the opposition. This was clear for us at the game, not those just looking at the stats sheet. His handpass backwards to Gawn (while himself in the clear) was a clear example of this but it will just be measured as an "effective disposal".

I was at the game. He made two poor errors, that one although a wrong choice wasn't one of them. He is a 20 game player and I can see him improving week to week. Wont be a superstar but continues to deserve a game and develop.

• Like 1

Viney is having scans on his leg as there is a fair chance he might have fractured his leg again....

I hope that is just a wild presumption Dazzle.

• Like 2

haha wow!

This is by far the worst post on here I have seen for a long time.

This is by far the worst post I have seen

Oh wait, you say this every day to someone. Very original *yawn*

This is by far the worst post I have seen

Oh wait, you say this every day to someone. Very original *yawn*

And this one takes the cake because how stupid and pathetic it is.

Yeah lets drop Crossy. Someone who throws themselves at every contest and busts there ass every week.

No wonder your not taken serious on here.

And this one takes the cake because how stupid and pathetic it is.

Yeah lets drop Crossy. Someone who throws themselves at every contest and busts there ass every week.

No wonder your not taken serious on here.

Did you not see Roos presser? Or The article ''players don't listen'

Watching the game seeing Cross run loose racking up disposals at one end while Oxley did the same at the other end, it doesn't take a genius to put 1 and 1 together.

Toumpas is Flinchy.

With Van and Viney probably out and Watts now sometimes deciding to go when required, we cant carry Flinchy who most of the backline dont want to kick to.

He certainly seems to have quick reactions disposing of the ball.

Did you not see Roos presser? Or The article ''players don't listen'

Watching the game seeing Cross run loose racking up disposals at one end while Oxley did the same at the other end, it doesn't take a genius to put 1 and 1 together.

Keep digging mate.
  • Like 1

To the people saying drop Toumpas, yes he made a few poor decisions, but overall he actually had a decent game. He had 21 disposals, 8 contested, 80% efficiency, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 rebound 50s and 4 tackles. They're decent stats, and he was far from our worst today. We need to let him gain more confidence and build on these games. He's already showing a bit this year. Dropping him would be yet another poor selection decision. I'm sick of him being a scape goat on this site.

100% with you here.

To add, the Toumps tank is building every week and I want to see him continue to grow through playing in the 1's. The mistakes he makes are generally in the thick of the action, where we want him and are not coach killers, just mistakes you'd expect off a kid who's had a delayed start to his career and is now finding his feet

• Like 2