• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Delistings/trades at end of the season

Brandon Jack is one I would go after. I think he is out of contract this year and he has good pace. He was best on ground in the NEAFL this week and he may be keen to go elsewhere to play regular footy. He is only worth a late draft pick and Sydney won't be able to match a decent contract offer.

• Like 2

Brandon Jack is one I would go after. I think he is out of contract this year and he has good pace. He was best on ground in the NEAFL this week and he may be keen to go elsewhere to play regular footy. He is only worth a late draft pick and Sydney won't be able to match a decent contract offer.

A speedy defensive forward with midfield potential sounds good to me but I get the feeling he'd be contracted and whilst we could offer him more money and opportunity to play games I doubt he'd leave his home city, the club his brother captains and such a successful club. Not at this stage when he's still young enough that being in the 2's wouldn't really deter him.

I don't know the exact rules or if they still exist but I think his brother was eligible for game ambassador payments as well. Being the sons of a local rugby league legend I think the AFL are very keen to keep the Jack boys right where they are!

A speedy defensive forward with midfield potential sounds good to me but I get the feeling he'd be contracted and whilst we could offer him more money and opportunity to play games I doubt he'd leave his home city, the club his brother captains and such a successful club. Not at this stage when he's still young enough that being in the 2's wouldn't really deter him.

I don't know the exact rules or if they still exist but I think his brother was eligible for game ambassador payments as well. Being the sons of a local rugby league legend I think the AFL are very keen to keep the Jack boys right where they are!

There will be a time when he gets Jack of playing NEAFL (pardon the pun) and Sydney have a pipeline of young midfielders through their Acadamy. My google search indicates he is out of contract.

• Like 1

I agree. Although personally I'd class Ottens as a big fish. He was highly rated as a forward at the time and then became a gun ruck (which also highlights how nothing is for granted).

But the cats had already made a prelim on the back of youth by the time he came.

The last 3 flags have also been won on the back of significant trades - Kennedy, McGlynn, Gunston, Hale, Burgoyne etc. So as you've said trading to fill roles is certainly part of the list building package.

He was certainly big and a big part of the Geelong premierships but really came of age with the Cats. Couldn't be considered a big fish in the mould of Judd, Danger or Buddy and wouldn't have cost Geelong anything like these guys.

I would say he was one that they needed to augment a good list.

Pies similar with Jolly and Ball...

Edited by rjay
  • Like 2

Rjay, just a note of warning ………. great stuff. Spending heaps on quality so called players from other clubs can back fire. Templeton,Diamond Jim Tilbrook, Mitch Clark and possibly Dawes are proof what can happen.

Henrietta Lumbago, The Dees don't seem to have a good back up if Gawn is injured.The choice who to get rid of between Fitz or Spencer is debatable.Spencer been with the club for 5 yrs and has achieved what ? (two good matches) whilst Fitzy played some good

matches in the past. There is another 10 matches to go so it will be interesting,I am nothing going to lose sleep on who goes or stays,perhaps FROST may become our back up ruckman!!! Have a good day.

Like the Hawks? Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson, Frawley, Hale, McEvoy, O'Rourke, Spangher.

I would say that Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale, Lake and you're forgetting Gunston have given the Hawks real value. McEvoy maybe lucky..

Spangher a good backup, Frawley and O'Rourke are yet to prove themselves with O'Rourke coming from a long way back I would think (may not make it).

Burgoyne was all but gone at Port and has had a new lease of life with the Hawks...great player.

Their recruiting has been excellent and proves my point that you don't blow it all on one player.

• Like 1

Henrietta Lumbago, The Dees don't seem to have a good back up if Gawn is injured.The choice who to get rid of between Fitz or Spencer is debatable.Spencer been with the club for 5 yrs and has achieved what ? (two good matches) whilst Fitzy played some good

matches in the past. There is another 10 matches to go so it will be interesting,I am nothing going to lose sleep on who goes or stays,perhaps FROST may become our back up ruckman!!! Have a good day.

I would let Jamar go, with a big thank you, and keep Spencer, Gawn, Fitz and rookie King.

That would leave Gawn and Spencer as the preferred rucks, with Fitz as a versatile back up (and a handy tall defender especially as some suggest if Garland goes somewhere else).

King to be developed. Frost as back up. Unfortunately Dawes can't / won't ruck. What is Dawes' contractual status?

And of course despite some folk's interpretation of what Roos said about Pedersen, I don't see that he will be let go. Can ruck, and a handy back up forward, and can also play tall down back. More versatile than Dawes.

Need a reasonable number of talls and versatile ones who can do a decent job in defence of attack so much the better.

What is the latest on interchange limitations for next year, and sub or 22 players?? Major reductions could see a return to playing two rucks on the ground, opening opportunities for a Gawn / Spencer combination.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

I would say that Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale, Lake and you're forgetting Gunston have given the Hawks real value. McEvoy maybe lucky..

Spangher a good backup, Frawley and O'Rourke are yet to prove themselves with O'Rourke coming from a long way back I would think (may not make it).

Burgoyne was all but gone at Port and has had a new lease of life with the Hawks...great player.

Their recruiting has been excellent and proves my point that you don't blow it all on one player.

rjay. you've made your point really well, and I totally agree with you.

There's a big difference between trading in good or very good players to build a star team, and punting it all on an elite player. Judd to Carlton & GAJ to GCS are other examples of a superstar trade that was supposed to bring the ultimate reward much closer, but ended up taking both teams much further away.

• Like 1

His kicking is one of the things that worries me, he's sometimes way too casual and misses targets.

Interesting you mention Watts, but I think Yarran is very outside and very much picks and chooses. As I say if we are making a play for pace I would rather us throw some cash at Motlop.

People talk of Yarran's elite kicking, but he can be pretty hit and miss IMO.

• Like 1

rjay. you've made your point really well, and I totally agree with you.

There's a big difference between trading in good or very good players to build a star team, and punting it all on an elite player. Judd to Carlton & GAJ to GCS are other examples of a superstar trade that was supposed to bring the ultimate reward much closer, but ended up taking both teams much further away.

How has Ablett going to the Gold Coast made them 'much further away'?

It's covered up their deficiencies. He can carry a team, by simply dominating games.

• Like 2

I would let Jamar go, with a big thank you, and keep Spencer, Gawn, Fitz and rookie King.

That would leave Gawn and Spencer as the preferred rucks, with Fitz as a versatile back up (and a handy tall defender especially as some suggest if Garland goes somewhere else).

King to be developed. Frost as back up. Unfortunately Dawes can't / won't ruck. What is Dawes' contractual status?

And of course despite some folk's interpretation of what Roos said about Pedersen, I don't see that he will be let go. Can ruck, and a handy back up forward, and can also play tall down back. More versatile than Dawes.

Need a reasonable number of talls and versatile ones who can do a decent job in defence of attack so much the better.

What is the latest on interchange limitations for next year, and sub or 22 players?? Major reductions could see a return to playing two rucks on the ground, opening opportunities for a Gawn / Spencer combination.

I think ' won't ' could be a possible issue

& imo, his status could be on a tradable list ? particularly if we could land a big Henderson fish.

The NEAFL isn't anything special. Tom Mitchell and Ryan O'Keefe were both getting huge numbers when they were playing there.

The NEAFL isn't anything special. Tom Mitchell and Ryan O'Keefe were both getting huge numbers when they were playing there.

So was Vandenberg.

And looked how he turned out. Will be an absolute gun for us. Anthony Miles is another who dominated the NEAFL and is now having a fine career.

• Like 1

After watching the last Vic Country game and thinking about it, I would consider trading up the draft to pick up Josh Schache. Trade our first and second round picks and Dawes to Gold Coast for pick 1 or 2.

This move goes against the philosophy of generally only drafting inside mids, but this kid looks a total package. His kicking for goal is as fluent as any AFL player and he has good endurance and looks to take a reasonable mark. He and Hogan could set up our forward line for a decade and, at 199cm, Schache could also fill the role as a second ruckman.

I also think we are looking pretty good for inside mids at the moment given the arrival of Tyson, Vandenberg, Brayshaw and Petracca, along with Viney, Jones and Vince. (Obviously I would love to pick up Patty Dangerfield but that is only a dream.)

I also think we can probably pick up some outside runners relatively cheaply either down the draft or through trades. (i.e. Sam Dwyer, Brandon Jack, Courtney Dempsey)

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Fat Tony

Maybe I am putting too much stock in Jack's four-goal game against Melbourne in 2013. But he looked a great prospect on that day.

Surely we'll target an underpaid Sydney player? How on earth they're fitting all their players in AND giving Buddy $1M, Tippett $900k and Hannebery $800k is beyond me.

The players they locked up on $300-$400k right before Buddy arrived would be fuming.

Surely we'll target an underpaid Sydney player? How on earth they're fitting all their players in AND giving Buddy $1M, Tippett $900k and Hannebery $800k is beyond me.

The players they locked up on $300-$400k right before Buddy arrived would be fuming.

Luke Parker can take over Dawes contract.

It's covered up their deficiencies. He can carry a team, by simply dominating games.

Exactly. Not only that, but because they depend too heavily on Gazza to win them games, it's stifled the development of their other mids (as has Judd did at Carlton). When Gazza's playing, he does all the heavy lifting, and they have less responsibility. So that when Gazza's (or Judd's) not there, they can't win without him because their developing mids struggle to step up.

I'm arguing against the superstar trade.

On the other side of the coin, we've done well in recruiting the #4 or #5 mid from sides that are chock-full of mids, and who have been able to step up when given the extra responsibility to be #2 mid with us - Tyson & Vince. And, for that matter, JPK. It's why I'd prefer Coniglio, for example, to Dangerfield.

• Like 1