Post Match Discussion - Round 5

Demonland

If you saw it coming maybe you should have fired off this post 24 hours ago. It's a bit rich coming now. You went early on Neeld and you were right and I too would prefer our coach to be a little more positive about his appraisals of the team but this post comes across as grandstanding. What do you really want to say about Roos?

He's run out of ideas, so just regurgitates same old, same old.

Where did i say Vince was the best tagger eva you absolutely [censored].

our midfield isn't winning enough of the ball. We need guys who are natural ball winners like Vince to play on their natural ability. As i said the Dangerfield game was a one night. Im glad he was given the tagging role but now we need his ball winning ability.

Now back into that hole of yours.

yeah but if we had won today you wouldn't be saying boo

because you change direction with the slightest breeze... like a sail, a flimsy, lightweight sail

I said before the season that Tyson was our most important player in 2015. The fact that he's been deplorable is telling. We get murdered at the stoppages and it's hard to fathom what's wrong with Dom. He's far better than what he's producing.

Put Mundy, Fyfe and Barlow in our team and we win the game. If you can't compete around the heat of the contest you're an also-ran.

• Like 3

yeah but if we had won today you wouldn't be saying boo

because you change direction with the slightest breeze... like a sail, a flimsy, lightweight sail

No i wouldn't. Fyfe is GAJ like in that you cant tag him. So don't try and speak on my behalf. I have just made you look like a f log AGAIN by pointing out where did i mentioned about Vince being "the best tagger eva" so not only did you make it all up to try and make me look silly it has backfired on you AGAIN.!

Try again cheapskate

No i wouldn't. Fyfe is GAJ like in that you cant tag him. So don't try and speak on my behalf. I have just made you look like a f log AGAIN by pointing out where did i mentioned about Vince being "the best tagger eva" so not only did you make it all up to try and make me look silly it has backfired on you AGAIN.!

Try again cheapskate

good thing that device you use to 'pencil things in' has an eraser on the other end

an eraser you've worn down to the nub :D

good thing that device you use to 'pencil things in' has an eraser on the other end

an eraser you've worn down to the nub :D

Yeah you do wish that don't you mate. Anything for you to have your victory dance on

Pfft Just admit it.. i made you look like a senile old fool.

Hold on.. can you wait a tick? Just going to grab some popcorn.

• Like 1

I said before the season that Tyson was our most important player in 2015. The fact that he's been deplorable is telling. We get murdered at the stoppages and it's hard to fathom what's wrong with Dom. He's far better than what he's producing.

Put Mundy, Fyfe and Barlow in our team and we win the game. If you can't compete around the heat of the contest you're an also-ran.

Yep.

By the looks of it, he's been "Melbourne'd": came into the club with plenty of promise, started off well, peaked, and then dropped back down to the level we should have expected!

Yep.

By the looks of it, he's been "Melbourne'd": came into the club with plenty of promise, started off well, peaked, and then dropped back down to the level we should have expected!

He certainly isn't hitting the heights he did last year, but I would hardly be writing him off just yet.

Just a tad of over reactions here we played the atm BEST team in the comp.

Need to remember we aint there yet apart from the last was somewhat competitive few chill pills need to taken here.

We aint the first and certainly wont be the last to get a smack on the buttocks from freo.

• Like 3

for sure

all you need to do is look at the difference between the way the players were structured/manned-up when they had possession streaming out of the backlin/into attack. When Freo had the ball there were loose men everywhere and when we had the ball we could only find contests. Yes, it is partly to do with the fact that the Freo players are smarter and work harder thanmany of our blokes, but nonetheless the opposition was employing a positioning strategy that absolutely destroyed us, and it went on all day without Roos seeming to even TRY to fix it

Well we don't know that do we?

He sure as hell wasn't telling them to play like they did. If he tried to change things it didn't work.

FFS it's 'has-beens' as in, 'used to BE good'

it is not some type of bean, like Heinz might mix with tomato sauce and sell cans of

Maybe he should throw the beans out the window, wait til morning, climb the stalk and recruit the guy up there to take on Sandilands next time we play the Dockers.

Just a tad of over reactions here we played the atm BEST team in the comp.

Need to remember we aint there yet apart from the last was somewhat competitive few chill pills need to taken here.

We aint the first and certainly wont be the last to get a smack on the buttocks from freo.

yeah but like I keep saying, if you put aside how good our opponent was, we as a side were still putrid

Well we don't know that do we?

He sure as hell wasn't telling them to play like they did. If he tried to change things it didn't work.

shouldn't we have been able to see some evidence of SOMETHING changing? I'm not the first one to suggest that Roos might have a weakness in finding a plan B when we are getting smacked. You are right though, we can't know to what extent his orders are being followed. The other thing to think about is that maybe he has his plan in place, and he refuses to deviate it from it because of the scoreboard - on the rationale that the only way they can come to terms with it and eventually execute it properly is to get it wrong for a while and stick at it.

It's just really frustrating watching us find nothing but traffic jams all over the field while our opponent is just running and going wherever they please, all day long

[Pedersen] was nowhere near as useful as Dawes today. I can't believe I have read that. Pedo was serviceable and did ok, but Dawes creates more if a contest and gets in better positions. We missed him today

Pedo deserves another crack, only TMac had more marks than him today. Dawes can replace Watts.
  • Like 1

Ummmm I think Garland had the job most of the day ? Thought grimes had Mayne for the best part and was comprehensively beaten

think you are right and heard commentators say the same and gave him far too much space. Grimes also had 4 clangers from his 10 disposals. I thought a disappointing effort from someone given a chance to redeem. Ive been a massive fan over his career, but he is simply not in our best 22.
  • Like 4

Once Jetta, Kent and Dawes went out of the side, plus a semi-fit Tyson, we were on a hiding to nothing against Freo. At the start of the year, many were saying that it will be great that we can give the 1st year players in Brayshaw, Petracca, ANB and Stretch time to mature at Casey, but the facts are that they are probably in our best 27 players. Any players outside of that 27, and excluding the untried rookies, have shown that they are incapable of making an impact at AFL level. Roos knows how poor our depth is, and said as much in the presser.

We can't afford to go into games carrying blokes who have no impact. Sadly Watts is now in that category. At least give some game time as the sub to kids who have got some AFL skillsets, like Stretch and Harmes. McKenzie, FMD!!!! Where was the logic????

• Like 1

I too though Pedo was ok today and deserves another crack against the Swans. We do not have much depth, the sooner we can get the likes of Viney, Jetta and Frost back the better. McKenzie was a poor sub.

Watching Betts tear it up in the showdown today only shows how important Nev Jetta has become to our side. He wouldn't have made much different to the scoreline, but his ability to keep his man quiet while also offering a bit of drive out of defence is invaluable.

No, they aren't. None of those players will be part of our next premiership.

What they are there for is to support the next group coming through, something we failed to do the last time we tried it. Those guys you named above are there for the Viney's, Salem's, Brayshaw's, Hogan's and Petracca's of our list - to guide them with their experience, to help set the right culture and to support them on and off the field. We made a huge mistake last time when we went with youth by getting rid of all our experience to give them games... and we all know how that worked out.

The above guys are planting trees for the shade they will never sit under, and we as a club are better for it.

Well Wiseblood, you do impress me quoting this old Taoist saying. I dips my lid. Absolutely spot on and I believe these guys will do exactly what the club needs to nurture the young brigade.
  • Like 2

He looks injured.

Agree. And he only had 73% game time, nearly 20% less than many of the other mids in the game.

If he's not fully fit, we shouldn't play him.

do people realise that today it was a team that played in a gf 2 years ago and have played finals for how many years against a team that havent got out of the bottom 4 in a few years. We will not be the only team thrashed by Freo. They have Turds Bummers next week lets hope they do a number on them.

In the next few years thats where we need to be. We arent there yet unfortunately, but hopefully we get there.

We just have to learn from today and make sure we dont do the same mistakes next week against sydney.

• Like 4