Roos: AFL players not watching enough footy

Grapeviney

In the NBA - the players are guaranteed around 50% of the TV money. In the AFL - the players were fighting for 27%...

Some things are different - like the NBA doesn't have to spend as much on grassroots or developmental football programs - but that is still quite a disparity...

30 NBA teams 15 players approx each = 300 players (upto 360)

18 AFL teams 40 players each = 720 players sharing a smaller market.

AFL players are well paid.

30 NBA teams 15 players approx each = 300 players (upto 360)

18 AFL teams 40 players each = 720 players sharing a smaller market.

AFL players are well paid.

Surely the rpfc's "total percentage of the pie" is a more relevant number than total number of players.

In the NBA - the players are guaranteed around 50% of the TV money. In the AFL - the players were fighting for 27%...

Some things are different - like the NBA doesn't have to spend as much on grassroots or developmental football programs - but that is still quite a disparity...

Hardly a throw-away consideration. basketball doesn't fight for audience like footy does here

Another view is that in the US they might be ridiculously OVERPAID.. that's their lot

'tisn't apples and apples...is it ?

Hardly a throw-away consideration. basketball doesn't fight for audience like footy does here

Another view is that in the US they might be ridiculously OVERPAID.. that's their lot

'tisn't apples and apples...is it ?

NBA doesn't fight for audiences?

The NFL isn't mildly popular...

MLB is starting when the playoffs begin.

NHLs playoffs are on at the same time as NBA playoffs.

I am just pointing out that revenue in other sports goes to players in a higher proportion than the AFL.

It is an interesting concept, I was sure that the development coaches went to games with the 1st-3rd year players and I think it is pretty important for player development to be able to watch the best players, how they move, how many contests they get too, player positioning and even rotations. That being said, nowdays with all the technology and cameras at the game I would think that the coaching staff would be able to create a package from all 9 games with similar comparisons for the players to watch and learn from.

At the end of the day if you want to get better you need to understand what the best do, but all the footage in the world doesnt translate into a player being able to develop the workrate or skillset that is present in the best palyers.

True, and watching the best clubs live (ie, not on TV) certainly leaves our players with a better understanding of the effort required to produce current best football.

I bet the 400th best AFL player in the world gets paid a whole lot more than the 400th best tennis player or golfer.

I hope the MFC players are watching the pressure being applied by other teams. Teams that have the footy intellect to guess/expect/know where the ball is likely to go next, and the physical desperation to get there fast enough to apply effective pressure. I hate watching 2 or 3 players get drawn to the player with the ball, leaving the obvious free option nice and in the clear for the next link in the chain. It's been happening for years now.

• Like 1

I bet the 400th best AFL player in the world gets paid a whole lot more than the 400th best tennis player or golfer.

That's an interesting point, although it may not be true for golf: http://www.sportseconomics.org/sports-economics/why-do-golfers-earn-more-than-tennis-players

But there are about 800 AFL players. There are many, many more professional Tennis and Golf players splitting up that money.

And if we are talking about 'who brings in the money' the top 50 tennis players and golfers have got an argument to say they should see most of the money...

No they don't, not to defend them, but in season, they get one day off a week, average day starts at 8am and finishes at 5pm, in their contracts they also agree to do various sponsor/clinics/school visits etc etc some after the end of the working day. As of for the vision to watch, I would say talking to them they spend a whole working day in total watching vision

Watching vision is not the same as watching a game live.

With vision you know the outcome.

Watching a game live...Roos "How do we shift the momentum to the opposition side..."

The whole Football Dept should watch at least 1 game a week.

Watching a game live...Roos "How do we shift the momentum to the opposition side..."

Agree. That is why I have previously queried Roos not watching any Casey Games live last year. Relying on down the ground vision (its not at Casey its more the HBF/HFF vision) does not give the same perspective. Some argued that he had other members of the coaching team there watching but you only have to read D'land to know 50 people will have 49 opinions.

On players watching other games live I have pointed out that players get tailored videos (and written notes on the points to consider, note and understand for their role the coming match) covering their opponent for the next game. These videos (disc) show how others have played the individual as well as the opponents strength, preferences and weaknesses, I think if I spent the time they spend on the track, in meetings, sponsorship responsibilities, public relations exercises (dare you to go to a Primary school for a few hours a day) and everything else on their individual program then the last thing you would want to do is watch another game of footy. I know many of the layers are undertaking Uni degrees which are very demanding for professional sportsmen. And don't forget that most of these blokes are youngsters who need some down time. I like the suggestion that they watch another game each week but it would need to involve the top 4 in my opinion or the next weeks opponent to be useful.

PS I am glad I don't work for some of you guys.

Sorry - I'm just utterly staggered that professional footballers don't watch every single relevant game (i.e. I understand not watching bottom four sides play).

Beyond the fact that its ridiculous to compare the elite to the average worker given that the elite are trying to be the top 1% while by definition the average are not, if they don't want to do everything they can to be the best then what the hell chance do they have ?

Thoroughly confounded to learn that some players don't watch the best teams week in, week out.

Make it a social night at the club. Have a BBQ

But when the game starts it's eyes to the screen.

2-3 games a year everybody goes to a live game

It must be part of mental training. That is the area this club has always lacked.

I still have nightmare flashbacks to 2005 when we lost to Carltank twice when they were a pathetic pile of junk

I knew it was going to happen.

10 years later this club is STILL mentally brittle.

Oh boo hoo. Seriously.

Still at school are we? Great input to the topic

One day off a week is absolute BS. Completely untrue

No it's not, will give you the week after Gold Coast game, Sunday - club recovery, Monday - club meetings/craft training, Tuesday - club training, weights meetings, Wedndsday - day off, Thrusday club - training, weights, Friday club - pre flight to Canberra training in Canberra, Satuday - game, Sunday - club recovery

Oh dear, drag yourself into the 21st century please, they have a team at the club and the coaches who 'cut' the vision, they don't just watch a replay of the tv, there are other cameras at the game, so the midfield would watch stoppages etc, defence forward setups etc...they have also been to a couple of live games, and injured players ie Petracca and Trengove get sent to scout games as well, they do well and truly have it covered......I must say when I was working I liked nothing more than dragging out a database and spreadsheet at the weekend

Edited by The Devil Inside

Oh dear, drag yourself into the 21st century please, they have a team at the club and the coaches who 'cut' the vision, they don't just watch a replay of the tv, there are other cameras at the game, so the midfield would watch stoppages etc, defence forward setups etc...they have also been to a couple of live games, and injured players ie Petracca and Trengove get sent to scout games as well, they do well and truly have it covered......I must say when I was working I liked nothing more than dragging out a database and spreadsheet at the weekend

Totally miss the point.

You are a fool Satyr.

Now i know for certain

Watching a game live is totally different to watching an edited package.

I spent years cutting edited packages...

The only reason I could see for a player not watching other games of footy is that he wants all his football instruction to come from his coach. That way he can do exactly what his coach wants him to do without any interference from his own ideas or other games.

But other than that, if you're not watching the best then how can you know how to be the best?

Edited by Chook

Totally miss the point.

You are a fool Satyr.

Now i know for certain

Watching a game live is totally different to watching an edited package.

I spent years cutting edited packages...

You belittle yourself with that type of outburst.

Pot, kettle, black comes to mind.

Still at school are we? Great input to the topic

No it's not, will give you the week after Gold Coast game, Sunday - club recovery, Monday - club meetings/craft training, Tuesday - club training, weights meetings, Wedndsday - day off, Thrusday club - training, weights, Friday club - pre flight to Canberra training in Canberra, Satuday - game, Sunday - club recovery

Hours spent each activity??

Kinda funny I think , much of this thread.

The Op went to the comment by OUR coach that he felt players ( not specifically , but surely inclusive of our own ) watch enough footy. Now as the reference was also about the Dees attending the hawks Cats game I can only think he wasnt so much referring to replays or the edited highlights as he was about watching the game...as a game.

Now he obviously had something in mind in saying it and yet some want to argue against him.. Interesting.

• Like 1

And you need to keep on topic and stop policing. The comments cut both ways.

It's totally true that a cut package of clips, while useful, does not show enough information. I like the idea of Roos and assistants going to games with players and giving them tasks, such as analysing set ups, predicting and suggesting next moves, asking them what they would do. Makes perfect sense.

• Like 2

Satyr likes to put the boot in as often as possible.

He is actually wrong more than he is right.

Not once in my earlier posts did i EVER mention video edits.

This is about watching LIVE football as it happens on an impartial basis.

Coaches and players. Watching discussing and learning.

And you need to keep on topic and stop policing. The comments cut both ways.

It's totally true that a cut package of clips, while useful, does not show enough information. I like the idea of Roos and assistants going to games with players and giving them tasks, such as analysing set ups, predicting and suggesting next moves, asking them what they would do. Makes perfect sense.

Fair call.

IMO there is far too much name calling here. But surely we can engage in an argument with logical discussion. Name calling really belongs in the playground. Saty appears to bait people for fun, he may disagree. I find it tedious at times. As for policing, there are many here that rail against petty name calling. I will continue as no doubt will you.

As for players not watching enough footy, it really should be live and reinforced with replays. Both have their merits.

Satyr likes to put the boot in as often as possible.

He is actually wrong more than he is right.

Not once in my earlier posts did i EVER mention video edits.

This is about watching LIVE football as it happens on an impartial basis.

Coaches and players. Watching discussing and learning.

You no doubt have the data to back this up?

He is wrong often. I would venture to say that so am I and so are you. If someone is wrong I support constructive argument, but not name calling.