Dion Prestia

Not even Prestia's manager, Marty Pask, would go as far as saying Richmond has a talented group of players.  Here is what he said:

“If you look at Richmond’s core group of players and their ages, it was appealing for Dion to join a group of strong footballers in the right hit zone in terms of their age."

He basically couldn't bring himself to say they were anything but 'strong footballers' and Richmond only appeal to Prestia because of their age range.  

Good luck Dion.  You'll need it.

• Like 6

On 9/1/2016 at 8:22 AM, Wiseblood said:

Not even Prestia's manager, Marty Pask, would go as far as saying Richmond has a talented group of players.  Here is what he said:

“If you look at Richmond’s core group of players and their ages, it was appealing for Dion to join a group of strong footballers in the right hit zone in terms of their age."

He basically couldn't bring himself to say they were anything but 'strong footballers' and Richmond only appeal to Prestia because of their age range.  

Richmond has a core group of footballers?? not sure you could call Alex Rance a core group. 

he should just admit what blind freddy can see, it's a financial decision, 250k a year extra is not something you scoff at when you're a young, injury prone footballer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

It is clear that Dion really wanted to be back in Melbourne and get away from the Suns. Suns would have gone close to matching this offer.

Unfortunately for him, the clubs he probably would have preferred, weren't prepared to make that sort of offer.

He has taken the biggest offer and is now home in Melbourne.

That is 3 out of 4 targets met.  Money, home, left Suns.

• Like 4

Richmond would be offering big bucks compared to other clubs. If it was me, and I was an AFL player, and I knew I had dodgy knees, I would be accepting the most lucrative longest-term contract I could. Job security and setting yourself up post-career is becoming far more important for the modern day player, than going to a club for a chance of success. 

surely GC would have offered him $750G/5 yrs.  they would have been desperate for their VC to stay when everyone else is leaving...

baffling why he would chose Tiges.  apparently they have courted him for years

maybe he agreed to join them last year, without their actual signature and didnt want to back out

1 hour ago, S.R.J said:

This guy must be on the good stuff. What would draw you to Richmond in there current state. 

well according to john ralph in the hun today he said richmond were offering prestia HALF of what treloar was given by the filth

i don't believe it, but just passing it on

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

well according to john ralph in the hun today he said richmond were offering prestia HALF of what treloar was given by the filth

i don't believe it, but just passing it on

It's also worth noting that Jon the [censored] Ralph is a Richmond supporter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S.R.J said:

This guy must be on the good stuff. What would draw you to Richmond in there current state. 

Richmond is not the dire destination people paint.  70k members, play at the MCG in front of big crowds, middle of the road list that could go either way.

15 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

hahahahahah

hhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhaahhaaaaaa

Sorry P.  I've deleted my post as I cannot find the newspaper reference for the report.  Maybe it was on the radio.  Current reports are a possible 2nd rnd pick. 

Sorry for confusing or alarming.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

13 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Sorry P.  I've deleted my post as I cannot find the newspaper reference for the report.  Maybe it was on the radio.  Current reports are a possible 2nd rnd pick. 

Sorry for confusing or alarming.

well it will depend on the afl formula. how that works is an afl trade secret but it depends (supposedly) on offered contract value and length

46 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Richmond is not the dire destination people paint.  70k members, play at the MCG in front of big crowds, middle of the road list that could go either way.

In terms of football they're on the way down, no doubt about it. Their list is shite.

Edited by Django
  • Like 2

I wish they'd ask his manager why the Dees went cold on him. We've been so hard in chasing him for a number of years then all of a sudden when the opportunity was there for the taking he chooses Richmond out of all clubs!

Just seems so odd really.

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I wish they'd ask his manager why the Dees went cold on him. We've been so hard in chasing him for a number of years then all of a sudden when the opportunity was there for the taking he chooses Richmond out of all clubs!

The question being- was MFC really chasing him that hard or showing interest ? Perhaps the latter. If he has made a decision to come back to Vic, he has a club offering him top dollars on a long term contract. Simply the best offer and perhaps the best offer by a long way.  Not bad given his past injury problems.  

15 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Maybe it was just the figment of some hopeful Demonlander's imagination...and of some with so-called 'inside' info...

24 minutes ago, hemingway said:

The question being- was MFC really chasing him that hard or showing interest ? Perhaps the latter. If he has made a decision to come back to Vic, he has a club offering him top dollars on a long term contract. Simply the best offer and perhaps the best offer by a long way.  Not bad given his past injury problems.  

Heard from a fair few people that we met with his management and the expected coin was that far overs that Mahoney (who talks a lot about our "overs %") cut it off then and there.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2016 at 10:53 AM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Maybe it was just the figment of some hopeful Demonlander's imagination...and of some with so-called 'inside' info...

I assume you're referring to me there, i called early last year that we'd chase Dion, that was proven to be correct, i also said that chase would continue this year, which it did, and i can assure you now that the chase went right until a huge offer came from RIchmond, 

we wanted Dion if he was at our price, but weren't going to pay overs, there seems to be an attitude by some Demonlanders that if someone posts that we're after a player and we don't land that player that the posters credibility is shot forgetting that they were correct about the chase, clearly we chased Dion, but for a player like that we were never going to be the only side and we were beaten for him, it happens, but if we "went cold" on Dion it was only quite recently, the club would have quite a long list of players we chase every year the % that we actually land would be less than 3-4% of those

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Abe said:

I assume you're referring to me there, i called early last year that we'd chase Dion, that was proven to be correct, i also said that chase would continue this year, which it did, and i can assure you now that the chase went right until a huge offer came from RIchmond, 

we wanted Dion if he was at our price, but weren't going to pay overs, there seems to be an attitude by some Demonlanders that if someone posts that we're after a player and we don't land that player that the posters credibility is shot forgetting that they were correct about the chase, clearly we chased Dion, but for a player like that we were never going to be the only side and we were beaten for him, it happens, but if we "went cold" on Dion it was only quite recently, the club would have quite a long list of players we chase every year the % that we actually land would be less than 3-4% of those

No 'Abe' I wasn't.  I find your comments objective and informative, not 'hopeful' and on various occasions have given your connection to the club and other AFL clubs while rightly not disclosing your sources, so I put you in the 'very highly credible' category.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

On 9/1/2016 at 11:16 AM, Lucifer's Hero said:

No 'Abe' I wasn't.  I find your comments objective and informative, not 'hopeful' so I put you in the 'very highly credible' category.

Thanks LH, i did jump to an assumption there, apologies for that,  i just can't remember who else posted about Dion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

This is where you lost me.
Hard to see them improving when they've traded away their 1st & 2nd pick this year, so precious little incoming young talent.
They're not getting much for their fringe-players, and they're ALL fringe players except for about 6 of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Worried about the knee and saving the extra bikkies for the big boy.

• Like 2

Hawthorn could have offered him 550k for 7 years and he wouldn't have taken it.

Been saying it for ages. Richmond offered him a deal he was never going to turn down. Even if he wanted to stay in Queensland. His injuries and urgency to get home all played a role in accepting what is a very, very lucrative deal.

Good luck to him.

Edited by praha

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Rubbish, Ralph is a one eyed tiger and an idiot to boot 

surely one is the same :rolleyes:

• Like 1