Dion Prestia

14 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Absolutely.  Good players always stay for less.  McDonald will be paid well either way and should take heed of the bigger picture.

If you were T Mac would you be doing any different?

The AFL is a professional competition the old play for the club is well dead.

Good players playing for down the list sides have two choices  get the maximum money or chase a flag at a good club.

Get the maximum you can extract Tom because the MFC or any other club will cast you out as soon as it suits them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProDee said:

If I thought the list was building towards a flag yes.

T Mac looks around him and sees the amount ordinary players like Dawes and the Prince  get and thinks why do these ordinary players get so much?

Perhaps he does not think we are building to a flag.

perhaps he just sees more of the same.

He actually might have a better idea than all of us in the outer PD.

it has been known to happen.

3 minutes ago, old dee said:

T Mac looks around him and sees the amount ordinary players like Dawes and the Prince  get and thinks why do these ordinary players get so much?

Perhaps he does not think we are building to a flag.

perhaps he just sees more of the same.

He actually might have a better idea than all of us in the outer PD.

it has been known to happen.

If only you knew what he was actually thinking...

The figure is speculative but for arguments sake lets say it is close, then as all the commentators agree, you have to pay overs to get someone to move, especially interstate. Sydney may have $700K on the table but I would like to think that MFC can retain him for less as Tom will need the extra coin to live up North. If Dawes is on $500K and about to take a pay cut then Tom is entitled to start at that figure and reach a suitable agreement somewhere between that and what others are offering.

Edited by Older demon
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Older demon said:

The figure is speculative but for arguments sake lets say it is close, then as all the commentators agree, you have to pay overs to get someone to move, especially interstate. Sydney may have $700K on the table but I would like to think that MFC can retain him for less as Tom will need the extra coin to live up North. If Dawes is on $500K and about to take a pay cut then Tom is entitled to start at that figure and reach a suitable agreement somewhere between that and what others are offering.

How can Sydney offer that? Beggars belief. Agree with the conclusion but we probably think we can get a comparable player at less than $700K and want to spend our $'s elsewhere. We have several mids who will command a higher return. Having met Tom once he struck me as very ernest and I suspect will push for the best deal he can do for himself (and I dont mean that in a bad way). It wont happen overnight.

20 minutes ago, Robbie57 said:

How can Sydney offer that? Beggars belief. Agree with the conclusion but we probably think we can get a comparable player at less than $700K and want to spend our $'s elsewhere. We have several mids who will command a higher return. Having met Tom once he struck me as very ernest and I suspect will push for the best deal he can do for himself (and I dont mean that in a bad way). It wont happen overnight.

With the cap going up.  Mitchell about to leave if you believe the rumors.  Probably gets him that sort of money. 

2 hours ago, Django said:

Definitely more than what we should be paying him. But not above what I think some teams would offer, so therein lies the problem.

Not really a problem. We won't pay overs anymore. We'll pay Geelong and Hawthorn money for guys. Otherwise we'll never get anywhere. The only guy that might be an outlier is Hogan.

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

I think Dawes might be about to take the ultimate pay cut...

The only reason I could see for keeping him now is to help the younger kids at Casey and even there he might be taking a place that could be better used.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2016 at 9:43 PM, beelzebub said:

ok 4.5 well spent ..  no probs

we WONT win 10  go rethink

to put it more simply the MFC was in such a shambolic state that we needed a bomb proof coach to hold the line whilst we rebuilt our list, our game plan and our commercial operations. $4.5 million very well spent.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, old dee said:

After looking at tomorrow,s team I am sure we need a Key Back and or Key Forward before we need a reasonable mid with suspect knees.

absolutely.  Need a real Full Back to release Tommy to what he's capable of ( and does quite well fwiw )

Need a big hand up front....but I think we have those in our midst already  alaf as next season.

But if we CAN sort our KEY players for season 2017 onwards Im all for scouting those that will up the ante in the middle....up it..that is...not add depth

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

absolutely.  Need a real Full Back to release Tommy to what he's capable of ( and does quite well fwiw )

Need a big hand up front....but I think we have those in our midst already  alaf as next season.

But if we CAN sort our KEY players for season 2017 onwards Im all for scouting those that will up the ante in the middle....up it..that is...not add depth

I cannot see the Weid or Hulett contributing much before 2018 bb. We  know what happens when you play kids too early e.g O Mac. They struggle and give little help in the short term. Like some years ago we are struggling with having too many kids and not enough experience we need a Mature Full back and Some one to replace Old Iron Hands.

1 minute ago, old dee said:

I cannot see the Weid or Hulett contributing much before 2018 bb. We  know what happens when you play kids too early e.g O Mac. They struggle and give little help in the short term. Like some years ago we are struggling with having too many kids and not enough experience we need a Mature Full back and Some one to replace Old Iron Hands.

If Liam played early next year he'd already be 20 OD..not really a kid

That's why I, and many others, would dearly love Hurley.

That said, if we get Hibberd, and having Melksham back, that instantly gives us just under 200 games of additional experience in to our backline.

I don't think our KPP stocks are as bad as some are saying.

And to keep it on topic, I think we will get Prestia.  No source, just a feeling in my loins.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, demoniac said:

to put it more simply the MFC was in such a shambolic state that we needed a bomb proof coach to hold the line whilst we rebuilt our list, our game plan and our commercial operations. $4.5 million very well spent.

Perfect answer, but wasted on here, win, win, win, win is all that matters

On 21/07/2016 at 11:14 AM, Older demon said:

Do the Swans have $700,000pa on TMacs table?

If so, would we look at Tom Mitchell or Zak Jones as a trade?

17 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Do the Swans have $700,000pa on TMacs table?

If so, would we look at Tom Mitchell or Zak Jones as a trade?

You mean both, in exchange for T Mac right?

Even then, probably, no.....

11 minutes ago, faultydet said:

You mean both, in exchange for T Mac right?

Even then, probably, no.....

As a part of a deal, involving TommyMac?

So for me, it would be hopefully player & a pick.  Which we could use, on a tall who can play back, & kick. And saving some Cap room.

I wouldn't be against that.

4 minutes ago, DV8 said:

As a part of a deal, involving TommyMac?

So for me, it would be hopefully player & a pick.  Which we could use, on a tall who can play back, & kick. And saving some Cap room.

I wouldn't be against that.

I have been looking at Demonland all evening looking for a laugh, thank you

On 21 July 2016 at 10:22 AM, old dee said:

If you were T Mac would you be doing any different?

The AFL is a professional competition the old play for the club is well dead.

Good players playing for down the list sides have two choices  get the maximum money or chase a flag at a good club.

Get the maximum you can extract Tom because the MFC or any other club will cast you out as soon as it suits them.

Nailed it OD. We do hang onto a sentimental or nostalgic view of players loyalty to a club, however, at the same time that view is fostered by players like Viney, Watts, Kent etc who have committed to the Demons professing their desire to stay with MFC. The more skeptical would of course say, that's because they are happy with the coin. Despite the rampant professionalism and mercenary behaviour of players, clubs and player agents, I have seen enough of life to appreciate that money or coin is not everything and that there are many players who want to stay with their clubs if they feel they are being treated fairly and not shortchanged. That's why it is so important to a clubs future that it is seen to be ethical and fair in its treatment of players and that wholesale trading  of players is dangerous to the fabric of the club. Importantly, in addition to "coin" players need to believe that the club has a future and that view is shared by the players team mates.  Hell, sorry OD this was meant to be a one sentence reply and I have got carried away. 

• Like 2