Casey Scorpions v Williamstown @ Casey Fields

KC from Casey

That's an ugly last quarter.

I'd like to read that we pulled Vince and others at half or 3/4 time, but I doubt we did.

I'd expect as a standalone club that Willy would beat Casey without MFC players. But from reports it was at least Fitzy, King, Vanders, Vince, Riley, Michie, JKH, Brayshaw, Kent out there. 9 is about a full compliment of AFL listed you can expect in a VFL alignment. Ok no recognised key forward or ruck (King is a bit of neither) but you'd want to match it with them for 4 quarter.

Disappointing game. I really thought this would be an easy win to Casey. I'll write up my report tonight when I head home. Going to have a kick with my son.

All over.

Casey 8.8.56

Williamstown 11.15.81

Hope you enjoy the kick. Thanks for the reports 'Maybe' & 'KC'.

It is a practice match and hopefully the coaches got what they wanted out of it. Would loved to have seen Petracca out there with Brayshaw though...would have given us a real glimpse into the future.

I leave to KC etc to do a match review, as I had to leave at 1/2 time.

vandenBerg did some nice things, but not enough to warrant a call up to the seniors just yet. Should get off the rookie list though.

Vince looked a bit rusty, but will be better for the run.

Riley was in and out, didn't do enough.

Kent also looked like he badly needed the run, even a bit out of touch still looks the goods.

Mitchie was in and under no sure about him atm.

JHK was on a wing, and kicked a nice goal when he drifted into the forward line, again he needs to do more.

King, has a nice leap. Good kick. work in progress.

Casey were looking good up until 1/2 time. I thought they looked likely winners. by the sounds of it, they run out of legs.

Brayshaw? probably get delisted or traded.

nah just joking about Gus, looks the goods, a cut above the rest.

Practise match in March.......At least a few players got a game in their legs

For a proven player like Vince, I can accept your comment. The rest of our AFL listed players should have been busting a gut to win a place in the senior side. After the past 8 years, I don't buy this "practise match in March" bullsh#t.

• Like 2

Brayshaw certainly looks a class above VFL level, super clean with the footy and looked calm and composed with ball in hand and good around stoppages won't be long until he's in the melbourne team, may need to build his tank up a bit but that's pretty common for a 1st year player I would have thought

• Like 4

Brayshaw certainly looks a class above VFL level, super clean with the footy and looked calm and composed with ball in hand and good around stoppages won't be long until he's in the melbourne team, may need to build his tank up a bit but that's pretty common for a 1st year player I would have thought

I agree, every time he came off, his face was red,he was sucking the water bottle big time. That to me showed he giving it everything he had.

If we got exicted about Hoges, get excited about this kid. I just hope they dont rush him, a dozen or so games with casey will do him good to adjust to the tempo and building his stamia.

• Like 3

Thanks heaps to KC and MNY for your great reports and info. Very much appreciated.

Wonder why Pedo wasn't playing. Is he injured?

Was fine at training yesterday. Whatever the plan is for round 1 besides Hogan (I think it might be just Frost, but Gawn and Pedo would have to be in the mix) they've obviously decided on it already. It's a long year, no point playing guys in practice matches if they don't need them it's just risking injury. Gawn and Pedo out there today probably would've resulted in a Casey win and given both a shot at securing a spot in the team for round 1 but at the same time I get the need to freshen guys up before round 1 and 5 months of largely consecutive games.

Casey seemed flat-footed in the last quarter and reactionary, while Williamstown started to take the game on. In the first 3/4's I thought Casey looked the slightly superior team, but the Seagull's delivered the ball into their forward 50 far better and had more scoring shots even when behind.

Kent got a lot of the footy, but made a couple of blues. He dropped a sitter under no pressure, which directly lead to a goal to the opposition less than 60 seconds before half-time. But overall played well, including the wing for the entire third quarter.

JKH was good. Played wing for most of the match and kicked a couple, including a nice banana on the run close to goal.

Riley is unfashionable, but has a crack and was OK. He's easy to miss.

I thought Vince showed enough in his first hit out. He was probably better than I expected, although he faded in and out. Was good in bursts with some classy kicking.

Fitzpatrick competed hard, but his timing and marking was off. He was serviceable.

Van Demon is huge for a midfielder. He played as a high half-forward and got a fair bit of it. He looks a little heavy and will be much better after another preseason. I'd love to see him get games this year, as his size is such a weapon, but he's a work in progress.

Mitchie was arguably the best Demon today. Busy all afternoon and completed a great chase and pull down tackle in the third.

King is a long way off. Very good kick for such a tall.

I've already read some of the commentary on Brayshaw, but it's a bit over the top. I thought he had a solid game without dominating. I'd put it down as a typical Brayshaw game. His second goal was a ripper in congestion with a tonne of heat on him and I also liked when he had a stint in the forward pocket in the third. He competed really hard in the air twice and one of those split packs led to a JKH goal. He also spent a bit of time down back late in the third and looked comfortable. He's just a pro that does everything well, although he does miss the odd handball target under pressure. In one passage of play when he was forward he ran with the flight of the ball and crashed hard into the oncoming marking player. Both went down and got up gingerly. He was fine and has plenty of courage. He's a very good overhead mark for a midfielder.

I thought Mitchie, Kent, Brayshaw and JKH were the best of the top up players.

• Like 15

My thoughts:

Bernie had a great first half and did what he wanted but he ran out of legs. Also had a hard tag in the 2nd half. Short of a gallop and I'd be surprised if he played round 1.

Kent did enough. Didn't have a lot of the footy but looked dangerous when he did and had 4-5 shots on goal.

JKH had a better second half but would be behind Kent in my eyes.

vandenBerg did some nice things but came in and out of the play. Looks underdone and would be surprised to see him line up next week.

Michie was solid if not spectacular. Good at the contest but needs to find more easier ball.

Riley impacts the play when involved through physicality and ferocious tackling. He just doesn't find enough.

Fitzy was solid down back but his overhead marking continues to let him down, Several times he contested balls in the air and let it get over the back for Williamstown crumbers.

Angus had 26 possessions and 2 goals. Class. His ability to spread from a contest at speed surprised me. He used it well apart from a few errant handballs. Gus was fairly vocal at the breaks too, a real leader in the making.

Max King good below his knees for a big guy but a million miles off.

• Like 5

Brayshaw clearly our best.

Kent and Vince needed the run.

Love how Kent goes about it but dropped a lot of marks on the lead and his kicking was ordinary.

Thought JKH competed well and had a solid game.

My thoughts:

Bernie had a great first half and did what he wanted but he ran out of legs. Also had a hard tag in the 2nd half. Short of a gallop and I'd be surprised if he played round 1.

Kent did enough. Didn't have a lot of the footy but looked dangerous when he did and had 4-5 shots on goal.

JKH had a better second half but would be behind Kent in my eyes.

vandenBerg did some nice things but came in and out of the play. Looks underdone and would be surprised to see him line up next week.

Michie was solid if not spectacular. Good at the contest but needs to find more easier ball.

Riley impacts the play when involved through physicality and ferocious tackling. He just doesn't find enough.

Fitzy was solid down back but his overhead marking continues to let him down, Several times he contested balls in the air and let it get over the back for Williamstown crumbers.

Angus had 26 possessions and 2 goals. Class. His ability to spread from a contest at speed surprised me. He used it well apart from a few errant handballs. Gus was fairly vocal at the breaks too, a real leader in the making.

Max King good below his knees for a big guy but a million miles off.

Casey seemed flat-footed in the last quarter and reactionary, while Williamstown started to take the game on. In the first 3/4's I thought Casey looked the slightly superior team, but the Seagull's delivered the ball into their forward 50 far better and had more scoring shots even when behind.

Kent got a lot of the footy, but made a couple of blues. He dropped a sitter under no pressure, which directly lead to a goal to the opposition less than 60 seconds before half-time. But overall played well, including the wing for the entire third quarter.

JKH was good. Played wing for most of the match and kicked a couple, including a nice banana on the run close to goal.

Riley is unfashionable, but has a crack and was OK. He's easy to miss.

I thought Vince showed enough in his first hit out. He was probably better than I expected, although he faded in and out. Was good in bursts with some classy kicking.

Fitzpatrick competed hard, but his timing and marking was off. He was serviceable.

Van Demon is huge for a midfielder. He played as a high half-forward and got a fair bit of it. He looks a little heavy and will be much better after another preseason. I'd love to see him get games this year, as his size is such a weapon, but he's a work in progress.

Mitchie was arguably the best Demon today. Busy all afternoon and completed a great chase and pull down tackle in the third.

King is a long way off. Very good kick for such a tall.

I've already read some of the commentary on Brayshaw, but it's a bit over the top. I thought he had a solid game without dominating. I'd put it down as a typical Brayshaw game. His second goal was a ripper in congestion with a tonne of heat on him and I also liked when he had a stint in the forward pocket in the third. He competed really hard in the air twice and one of those split packs led to a JKH goal. He also spent a bit of time down back late in the third and looked comfortable. He's just a pro that does everything well, although he does miss the odd handball target under pressure. In one passage of play when he was forward he ran with the flight of the ball and crashed hard into the oncoming marking player. Both went down and got up gingerly. He was fine and has plenty of courage. He's a very good overhead mark for a midfielder.

I thought Mitchie, Kent, Brayshaw and JKH were the best of the top up players.

Bit confused with these assessments. But I don't think you can be critical of a bloke getting the hard ball. Plenty of passengers to get the easy ball. I would be interested to know whether Viv went into the forward 50. I think he has been told not to as he never seems to.

• Like 1

Bit confused with these assessments. But I don't think you can be critical of a bloke getting the hard ball. Plenty of passengers to get the easy ball. I would be interested to know whether Viv went into the forward 50. I think he has been told not to as he never seems to.

Assessing players' games is subjective. Viv was good but easy to miss and little hurt factor. Viv spent the majority of his ground time on the ball and at stoppages.

Back home after. Casey. I went to the game to immunise myself against being disappointed for the season ahead. The game did not let me down and I now know what to expect for the season. Unfortunately I expect more of the same as last year as even against a stand alone team the AFL listed players missed marks and handballs. Below is my report for what it is worth:

Q1. The Scorpions were the better team by hand and foot but could not put the difference on the scoreboard ( sounds familiar doesn't it). All the MFC plays played well that quarter with Brayshaw the standout.

Q2. Pretty even contest. I thought Vince and JKH shone through. Vandenberg was tenacious and showed something.

Q3. Williamstown clearly got on top and if not for inaccurate kicking would have been significantly in front. Brayshaw again the standout Demon.

Q4. All Williamstown after the first 5 mins, Enough said.

Williamstown deserved the victory and I would be really disappointed if I was Casey. The coach held them on the ground after the game and I suspect told them that performance was not good enough.

With respect to the players:

Brayshaw. Very happy with his game. Was not expecting too much before the game and he showed fierceness and is ready. Towards the end of the game he tired and made traditional Melbourne mistakes such as missing handball targets. He reminded me of Nathan Jones when he first came to the club and without putting too much pressure on the kid, we know what we get from Jones.

King. Too skinny and raw. I think he needs time in the Development comp. kicked a nice goal in the last quarter but does nothing around the ground.

Michie: serviceable but not brilliant. Goes in hard but lacks speed. Was vocal which was good to hear and disposals were not bad. Just drops out of the game too much for me.

Kent: offensively good but defensively rubbish. Made silly mistakes and I would keep him at Casey for at least another week. Is competing with JKH for a spot I think and on today's performance JKH is ahead.

JKH: quite good today. His attack on football was good and on the man. Like others he drifts in and out of game too much.

Vince: disinterested in 1st quarters but lifted. Worked hard and put run in the legs. Did not have a huge influence on the game but provided he pulls up ok, is likely to play next week. He tried to lift the team in the last quarter but as I said did not exert influence on the ball.

Riley: goes in hard. Disposal lets him down. Of all the listed players he seemed to be off the ground the most or perhaps I just missed him.

Vandenberg: does not shirk any contest and liked his performance today without getting too excited. I think he demonstrates a toughness not many at Melbourne have and I hope he is upgraded soon. Upon reflection he won't play next week as I think Brayshaw deserves the spot ahead of him. If Howe is the sub no Vandenberg. If no Howe he will be the sub

Fitzpatrick: perhaps I am blinded by my like of him but he showed something in defence. When he moved to forward line the defence struggled. He just needs to hold important marks. His defensive punches were good. I am scared he will be run off too often though so that is a big question for me. Needs half a season in Casey in a defensive position if that is the plan for him.

I hope I did not miss anyone. Enjoyed my trip to Casey and hearing coaches and having a kick on the oval. My son was annoyed I spent much of my time on the phone rather than talking to him so I will leave the reports and scores to. KC in future.

Cheers.

Ps. Special mention to Tim Smith at Casey. I like how he plays and showed more than some of the MFC players.

• Like 17

vandenBerg did some nice things, but not enough to warrant a call up to the seniors just yet. Should get off the rookie list though.

Have I missed something here? He was in the seniors last time I checked, and was one of our best at that. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't play against the Suns. Likewise Brayshaw. I understand the notion of 'holding him back', but we need our best team on the park against the Gold Coast. It sounds like Gus is way too good for this level and has been in the best every game he's played. He should be in the mix.

Thanks for the report though DeeVoted (and everyone else), much appreciated!