• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs @ Eureka Stadium Ballarat - 14th March, 2015

Clucka

I ripped into Toumpas a little last week and I'm very pleased to say he was brilliant today, certainly was a good sight to see and I hope he continues to back it up and improve further.

I did the same with Grimes and I think he produced today, he did some lovely work and I'm glad as I use to rate his "potential" highly.

From an indiviidual stand point there were a lot of positives, Viney impressed me as did Salem, Jetta, McDonald and Watts up forward. Even big Maxy took some great marks.

The additions of Frost (effectively replacing Frawley), Garlett, and Lamumba are looking great!

As a whole the team work within the first half was fantastic, the ball movement, skill execution, and speed were excellent, what worried me about the second half was how the the team crumbled when the pressure was on. The Dogs just wanted it that little bit more.

As for negatives, McKenzie shouldn't get a game in the season proper nor should Matt Jones as they are both liabilities. Viv Michie as sub (who I have rated highly) and Bail need to lift their games.

• Like 1

Frankly, I was little bit pleased the Bulldogs had that in them as it shows we were not playing a bunch of no-hopers...

That first half was a dominant ball controlling experience and I am only tempered by the following stat - 37 Inside 50s...

So much dominance and footy - 297 Uncontested Possessions (!) - and we could only managed 37 Inside 50s?

Have to be more direct...

We had 20 of those Inside 50s in the 2nd quarter along with 153 touches. The Dogs had 20 I50s in the last quarter with 69 touches...

They are a decent footy team, and when you win it out of the middle - you can do some damage.

Frankly, I was little bit pleased the Bulldogs had that in them as it shows we were not playing a bunch of no-hopers...

That first half was a dominant ball controlling experience and I am only tempered by the following stat - 37 Inside 50s...

So much dominance and footy - 297 Uncontested Possessions (!) - and we could only managed 37 Inside 50s?

Have to be more direct...

We had 20 of those Inside 50s in the 2nd quarter along with 153 touches. The Dogs had 20 I50s in the last quarter with 69 touches...

They are a decent footy team, and when you win it out of the middle - you can do some damage.

And when you're losing it out of the middle, you're really in a lot of trouble.

I ripped into Toumpas a little last week and I'm very pleased to say he was brilliant today, certainly was a good sight to see and I hope he continues to back it up and improve further.

I did the same with Grimes and I think he produced today, he did some lovely work and I'm glad as I use to rate his "potential" highly.

From an indiviidual stand point there were a lot of positives, Viney impressed me as did Salem, Jetta, McDonald and Watts up forward. Even big Maxy took some great marks.

The additions of Frost (effectively replacing Frawley), Garlett, and Lamumba are looking great!

As a whole the team work within the first half was fantastic, the ball movement, skill execution, and speed were excellent, what worried me about the second half was how the the team crumbled when the pressure was on. The Dogs just wanted it that little bit more.

As for negatives, McKenzie shouldn't get a game in the season proper nor should Matt Jones as they are both liabilities. Viv Michie as sub (who I have rated highly) and Bail need to lift their games.

Agree with all of this except JV. Attacked the contest like a bull at a gate as he always does, but he was pretty poor when he got the ball. Too many mistakes, some of which were costly.

Grimes' first half was very pleasing. Wouldn't be a Grimes game without a kick out on the full, but I hope he takes that standard into the season.

Lumumba was probably our best today. He was superb. Very happy he's a demon.

• Like 1

Winning a clearance often leads to a score and any turnover can do the same. If we get a lot better in both those areas we'll win games. Easier said than done of course.

The game has always been won out of the middle and with the 'keepings off' nature of footy these days, turnovers need to be kept to a minimum. Obviously, a player will often be forced to kick to a contest or perhaps kick the ball long into the forward line but missing a target who is only 15-30 metres away is just not on.

Unfortunately, given the state of our list, we're going to be playing blokes who will still commit these cardinal errors. The question for Roos is how many of these types will he be prepared to play in the one team. Some of our players are best suited to kicking the ball long to position - that might partly alleviate the problem.

The above is not necessarily a reflection on today's game ... it's been an ongoing issue that we need to fix.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Macca

Viney's Achilles Heel is his goal kicking. Virtually no chance from 30 + out even straight in front.

If you are old enough to remember dad - his kicking was appalling early in his career and whilst one could never describe it as silky smooth it was a hell of a lot better in his middle and later years.

I thought today was the best game that both Salem and Toumpas have played for the Melbourne football club, that's a massive positive, Hogan and Viney showed great work rate, which is also really important.

Garland looked to me to be just starting to gain a bit more touch.

Letting a lead like that go, and nearly coughing up the game against ordinary opposition is simply not good enough, our best has improved alot, but we are not going to win enough games to play finals while having lapses like that, imagine if we did that against good opposition?

we really miss Bernie and Howe.

From many accounts, the midfield structure having been dominant in the first half was switched seriously in the second. That is what these preseason games are all about - experimentation

• Like 3

Keep in mind peeps..This ( nab etc ) is only way we get to see what really happens re implementation of game plan as opposed 'match practice'

they'll learn

We hammered , we relented. Why... particular players removed to see 'what happens" who stepsp etc

its all a game within a game

relax....for now ;)

• Like 1

Had some time to think about the game and although we were dominated in the second half, there's two clear positives to come out from the result.

1. We won

2. No injuries

• Like 4

Keep in mind peeps..This ( nab etc ) is only way we get to see what really happens re implementation of game plan as opposed 'match practice'

they'll learn

We hammered , we relented. Why... particular players removed to see 'what happens" who stepsp etc

its all a game within a game

relax....for now ;)

Your common sense and level head is unwelcome here bb!

• Like 1

I feel there were many positives to come out of tonight's game.

- confidence in our ability to score

- first times n a long time we have come out on the front foot and was dominant for the whole first half

- Garlett, Lamumba and Frost all had good games and each added some pace and creativity we have lacked

- Salem keeps showing signs, Toumpas is getting it more and starting to impact a little more

- we won a game. Have to enjoy the little things.

*edit- must mention Grimes as a positive today as well. Credit where it is due he was much improved with his kicking today. If he can start to back himself and chip sideways less, he just might make it yet

Edited by sweet and sour dee
  • Like 3

Agree with all of this except JV. Attacked the contest like a bull at a gate as he always does, but he was pretty poor when he got the ball. Too many mistakes, some of which were costly.

Grimes' first half was very pleasing. Wouldn't be a Grimes game without a kick out on the full, but I hope he takes that standard into the season.

Lumumba was probably our best today. He was superb. Very happy he's a demon.

Thanks P-man.

Agreed, JV did make a few silly errors but I'm not or wasn't worried by him. I liked his game because of his attack and willingness to win that contested possession for us time and time again (as you eluded to above).

Yes Grimes did kick one clanger that was out on the full via mark by a bees d*** in a tight situation, I find it somewhat amusing how people spot it with ease because they're looking for it, and further others claim he had a bad game because of it.

However, Grimes racked up quite a few tonight and disposed them at 90.9% efficiency.

• Like 4

yeah he is a spin doctor, nothing to gain from mauling the side publicly

Exactly, anyone ever seen a Wayne Bennett press conference? When his teams won convincingly he would still manage to find numerous faults but when they lost or had a unconvincing win he would praise them.

Says who?

Watch the Roos' press conference, it's littered with "for a pre-season game" and "understandable in a pre-season game" etc. etc.

Further, the coaches wouldn't have been making the decisions they did (Nat Jones on the wing rather than at a centre bounce, Hogan basically off the field from half-time etc) if they were half-way serious about playing it as a Round one game. Sure, the players eased up, but it comes with the territory.

Says the video of the club website.

Exactly, anyone ever seen a Wayne Bennett press conference? When his teams won convincingly he would still manage to find numerous faults but when they lost or had a unconvincing win he would praise them.

I think that is to emphasize 'we are good - but we can get better' (win).... Vs.... 'we did some good things, we have a lot to work with' (loss).

I think that is all for the psychology of the playing group. I have no doubt Roos is doing this to change our way of thinking.

In the past, the boys were told they weren't good enough, that is why we dropped our heads in games. The list actually believed it was useless.

Roos is changing the psychology of the club, which will go a long way to improving our future. This guy is a genius, as is Bennett.

• Like 1

A question for those concerned:

In what manner has the coach ever knowingly perceived and extracted of the NAB campaign ??

K ..I..m. not all of our first picks are available.

Its play time.

The more the nqr's play and firm as nqr the easier it is to sort come eos ??

A suggestion for next week, many might not agree. Players like Howe and Vince are still injured and first year players are being overlooked. So we find ourselves taking hacks into games to make up the numbers. Why not next week stuff the extended bench and multiple subs and simply play 22 players against the Bombers 2nd's.

A suggestion for next week, many might not agree. Players like Howe and Vince are still injured and first year players are being overlooked. So we find ourselves taking hacks into games to make up the numbers. Why not next week stuff the extended bench and multiple subs and simply play 22 players against the Bombers 2nd's.

Hacks is a tad harsh, but next week the games move to 22 and 2 subs anyway.

meh. it's a pre-season game. You take the positives as a sign of good things to come and completely ignore the negatives as irrelevant to 'real' footy.

What i liked was Toumpas. He turns his possessions into genuine chances of scoring. More time with Roosy in his ear and he'll start to cut out the clangers and nail the more risky kicks. He's a playmaker pure and simple. Long term we're gong to love seeing the ball in his hands and hopefully with a bit more confidence we'll see him breaking out of the middle.

Salem was nice too. Easy possessions and he was playing it safer with his disposal than Toump, but it's good to see him look so comfortable across half back. Again, get the ball in his hands that often in the season proper and it wont be long until he starts slicing teams up.

Pretty happy with what I saw.

Hey I know if I was playing a practise match and my team was winning by 40 points I would switch off too.

No one wants to get injurd and after hearing Roos perest confence I think that's what happened.

• Like 1