Melbourne v Western Bulldogs @ Eureka Stadium Ballarat - 14th March, 2015

Clucka

Didn't see the game, didnt hear the game thankfully! But looking at the stats what was going on? 160 plus more disposals for a 7 point win! 403 disposals for 10 goals! We lost the clearances and we lost the inside 50 count? But we took 20 marks inside 50 for a 10 goal return! I know these are only stats but what the hell were we doing with the ball? Haven't we been training to be more direct, to move the ball quickly to players on the move?

What were we doing with the 160 or so disposals that on paper seem to have gone nowhere in particular. We had this problem at the start of last season when we had no forward line. Today we had targets but the stats imply we were pisseffing around again with the ball.

Can someone who was there please explain?

Yep, we stuffed around around half back. We lost the clearances due to trialling blokes through the midfield - also explaining the inside 50 count.

I thought there were some positive signs today.

If one thing stood out if was Salem down back. Roos is now faced with a tough decision. With a midfield looking capable of extracting the ball out of the middle - but incapable of clean disposal/direction going into the forward line, does Roos throw Salem in the midfield. I think he will, it stood out to much today, and Salem brings the midfield attributes it sorely lacks atm.

• Like 2

The main thing that stood out to me today was that if Nate Jones went down with injury, we would not win a game this year.

That's an extreme but I get your drift.

Jones importance to the team and as a Captain is huge.

• Like 1

The main thing that stood out to me today was that if Nate Jones went down with injury, we would not win a game this year.

If Jones and Tyson go down, I'd agree.

But if Jones alone was to go down, then Vince would be a sufficient replacement.

He mightn't quite be as good as Jones, but he'd fill that role enough to keep us from having a winless year.

• Like 1

... does Roos throw Salem in the midfield. I think he will, it stood out to much today, and Salem brings the midfield attributes it sorely lacks atm.

Salem brings attributes because he's playing off half-back. Very different to being in the thick of it where you have to find your own ball and create your own opportunities. I can see him learning the ropes and building up his engine down back for a season or two.

Too often we've pushed younger players into positions they weren't ready for. This is the new Demons ...

• Like 5

Don't worry, Jones going down with injury is one of those hypotheticals that'll never really happen anyway ;)

• Like 3

If Jones and Tyson go down, I'd agree.

But if Jones alone was to go down, then Vince would be a sufficient replacement.

He mightn't quite be as good as Jones, but he'd fill that role enough to keep us from having a winless year.

ahhh ifs and buts...if only et had a semblance of grey matter and yossarian didn't have a penchant for cross dressing all would be well in the world

Was there today, thought I'd see the massive overreactions put up on here. Have not been disappointed, 25+ pages of whinge. The facts are we played very impressive footy in the first half, had the win in the bag and (whilst i'll be jumped on for this) put the cue in the rack in the second half.

First half Mcdonald and Garland seemed to have license to run and make the play, then in the second half looked to be under instruction to stay back a lot more. Might have been to try and stop the doggies flood.

Great signs from grimes, salem, toump, garland, garlett, jkh, lumumba, jamar and jetta.

A little disappointed in gawn up forward today but ruck was ok, and dawes didn't have a big impact

• Like 8

For the rose coloured crew out there saying this didn't mean anything, I strongly beg to differ. If that 2nd half doesn't put fear into you as a supporter, I don't know what game you were watching. The fact our near 1st string side could barely fall over the line against a team of draftees, that's just abysmal. My prediciton of us going 0-9 to start the year might have to be changed to 0-15.

Long season ahead I fear

I was there, like to wager?

• Like 1

Just amazed that people on here can accept a drop away like that in the 2nd half. We've won 40 games in 8 seasons, talk this up all week as though we're treating it as round 1, field a near full strength side and beat the bulldogs under 23 side by a kick.

This was a chance today for a live kill. A chance for the toumpas's of the world to FINALLY play in a 15 goal win and get some confidence.

If you don't beat up on the dogs today we will never beat up on anyone. There is clearly no ruthlessness or mongrel in this group.

• Like 3

Just amazed that people on here can accept a drop away like that in the 2nd half. We've won 40 games in 8 seasons, talk this up all week as though we're treating it as round 1, field a near full strength side and beat the bulldogs under 23 side by a kick.

This was a chance today for a live kill. A chance for the toumpas's of the world to FINALLY play in a 15 goal win and get some confidence.

If you don't beat up on the dogs today we will never beat up on anyone. There is clearly no ruthlessness or mongrel in this group.

I think you r pretty right, no real excuse for such a drop off, should have easily won, afterall the dees were treating the game like a round one match, clearly would be disappointed

Well I for one, having reviewed what happened am happy to think the master magician was experimenting/fact finding. He knows more now. Thats fine

And on to Friday :)

• Like 5

... afterall the dees were treating the game like a round one match

Says who?

Watch the Roos' press conference, it's littered with "for a pre-season game" and "understandable in a pre-season game" etc. etc.

Further, the coaches wouldn't have been making the decisions they did (Nat Jones on the wing rather than at a centre bounce, Hogan basically off the field from half-time etc) if they were half-way serious about playing it as a Round one game. Sure, the players eased up, but it comes with the territory.

• Like 3

Didn't watch the game but had the live scores up during the last quarter,was like watching a stock market crash.

But a win's a win so I'll take it along with Casey's win today.

Edited by Emerald

Agree we were nearly full strength. And im not buying into the fact Jones and Thson were rested a bit more in the 2nd half. We still had senior players like Cross and Lumumba playing as a midfielder to be able to calm things down.

I read something like they had 7 new draftees playing today. We had none except for the new guys like Newton Frost etc..

We played 2 qtrs today and that is just simply not acceptable. We simply should have blown them away.

Positives:

Toumpas Salem combo. Both with 24 disposals and used the ball well in tricky conditions. Get the ball in these guys hands.

Lumumba and Garlett were brilliant today and will add alot to our side.

Grimes was back to his best today. Now to back it up jack. I still have a soft spot for you.

I thought Jetta was impressive today. 23 disposals and was clean today

Jack Watts is starting to actually look like a key forward in terms of body size.

Newton and Frost

JKH

Negatives:

Dawes is just borderline spud for me. Was poor and his field kicking is atrocious.

Mckenzie.. enough said

Jamar getting outmarked easily by Minson in the last qtr.

2nd half football.

My live stream was [censored]

• Like 3

Some look but do not see

• Like 2

Well I for one, having reviewed what happened am happy to think the master magician was experimenting/fact finding. He knows more now. Thats fine

And on to Friday :)

Nice BB, I was there and didn't like the dogs come back but after looking at the various factors I started to realise we will have got a lot out of the second half.

I'm pretty confident Roos wanted to see something other than what the first half offered and it was the ideal time to do it. People also need to look at Roos approach to pre season games while at Sydney.

As a side note, I was very disappointed to see Vanders come off and play no further part. I saw the look on his face and he was filthy.

• Like 1

Says who?

Watch the Roos' press conference, it's littered with "for a pre-season game" and "understandable in a pre-season game" etc. etc.

Further, the coaches wouldn't have been making the decisions they did (Nat Jones on the wing rather than at a centre bounce, Hogan basically off the field from half-time etc) if they were half-way serious about playing it as a Round one game. Sure, the players eased up, but it comes with the territory.

well...I read the website info and t mac said and I quote 'the main focus for us is to treat it like it's a round one game

Nice BB, I was there and didn't like the dogs come back but after looking at the various factors I started to realise we will have got a lot out of the second half.

I'm pretty confident Roos wanted to see something other than what the first half offered and it was the ideal time to do it. People also need to look at Roos approach to pre season games while at Sydney.

As a side note, I was very disappointed to see Vanders come off and play no further part. I saw the look on his face and he was filthy.

didn't he get a head injury

Agree we were nearly full strength. And im not buying into the fact Jones and Thson were rested a bit more in the 2nd half. We still had senior players like Cross and Lumumba playing as a midfielder to be able to calm things down.

I read something like they had 7 new draftees playing today. We had none except for the new guys like Newton Frost etc..

We played 2 qtrs today and that is just simply not acceptable. We simply should have blown them away.

Positives:

Toumpas Salem combo. Both with 24 disposals and used the ball well in tricky conditions. Get the ball in these guys hands.

Lumumba and Garlett were brilliant today and will add alot to our side.

Grimes was back to his best today. Now to back it up jack. I still have a soft spot for you.

I thought Jetta was impressive today. 23 disposals and was clean today

Jack Watts is starting to actually look like a key forward in terms of body size.

Newton and Frost

JKH

Negatives:

Dawes is just borderline spud for me. Was poor and his field kicking is atrocious.

Mckenzie.. enough said

Jamar getting outmarked easily by Minson in the last qtr.

2nd half football.

My live stream was [censored]

they had to be careful not to smash them and let the game go to the head of all of us supporters....

So we stunk it up during the second half of a NAB Cup game in March. Who cares. It feels as though the Earth is about to cave in and our impending doom is upon us.

NAB Cup games are for experimenting. Experimenting with centre square groups, experimenting with different styles of play, trialing players in different positions. The scoreboard is close to irrelevant. Take the game for what it was and remember to breathe.

The kids showed some promise. Toumpas and Salem in particular. Viney will be better for the run, ditto Watts. Garlett and JKH looked terrific at the feet of the forwards and our movement out of half back looked good.

Clearly our depth is still poor as when we went with other players, particularly during the last quarter, we struggled. That is still our future until the kids come on more and we upgrade through free agency.

The other positive are the new guys we did pick up - Lumumba, Garlett, Newton, Frost... all of them showed they are best 22 players who will be an upgrade on those who have filled their positions in the past.

Plenty to like about today when the dust settles.

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 5