• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 27th February, 2015

Demonland

Carlton's recruiting of recent years has been on par with that of Barry Prendegast which is why they are struggling now.

Doesn't Barry work there in admin? Maybe his advice is rubbing off on the recruiters.

• Like 1

As far as the match sim went it had its moments of positive play and others not so much.

To be honest I was probably as disappointed in the coaches as much as the players. The focus again seems to be on possession retention, with Goodwin calling for calm and slow steady play at half back. Seems a strong desire to get the ball to running players by foot trying to pick through zones instead of attacking run from the backline and long kicks to half forwards presenting which is what I'd love to see.

The best patches of play did involve a more attacking kick towards the corridor and then some flowing handball and run. Frost actually straightened the team up a bit with an attacking play. One went from the Northern end in to the middle for a series of handballs (I think Salem, Viney, Kent) who then pumped it in forward.

The slower play around half back was ok at times. It certainly wasn't terrible. But when you switch it around half back against any good defensive team (and both sides defended pretty well) at some stage you're going to need to do 1 of 3 things to get out - 1. kick to a contest. 2. thread the needle on a difficult kick or 3. run and link up and break through a zone. There were too many times where I would've liked to see us try the kick to the ruck/CHF option OR try the handball and run through the middle early on in the rebound.

Individual wise (bearing in mind the teams were pretty balanced and so you had to look both ends)

Backs:

Dunn made it hard for Gawn by out bodying him. Grimes was more solid. Salem defended well, took a great mark backing in to a pack and used the ball really well. Garland had one moment where he dangled a kick out for young White who probably could've held it with strong hands but was picked off. Hunt had a big long run (during the earlier match simulation stuff). Tommy McDonald continues to be a liability with ball in hand. Shank central. He has a very slow steady and release on his kicks. White kicks really well and looks up for the contest, just is a bit awkward defending and around the packs. Frost provided a bit of burst and was otherwise ok. Jetta was very comfortable for the time he played. Sat Hogan on his backside I believe at the far end. A number of others - Michie, Newton, Lumumba, McKenzie filled in on the flanks.

Mids:

Tyson is still probably our best on the spread, just gets to the right spots to get the ball. Viney found plenty as well. Jones was Jones. Lumumba breaks the game open with his run but we'll have to cop some turnovers or poor kicks. Matty Jones found lots of space, he's good at getting a handball and getting to the edge of a pack, unfortunately he just isn't smooth by foot when running full pace. Lively is a good word for Stretch. Newton pulls off the occasional lovely left foot kick, but I'm concerned about how he's going to find the ball. Michie has moments of clever play but then can be walking around a pack instead of busting for that handball receive. Toumpy found a bit of it and used it well. He's up for the contest but I'm not sure he's figured out just how he'll win them yet.

Spencer did manage to handball the ball along the ground at one stage in his excitement to dish off a handball to a running player. He missed a lot of footy last year and training, so I'll give him time. But it's hard to watch at times. I think he'll only ever be of use if he plays angry and plays like a big strong bugger. That's not ideal for a scratch match, but he if rucks in games like he did v Pedersen at centre bounces he wont contribute much. Anyway, too much time for our 3rd string ruck already.

Fwds:

Hogan very solid. Dawes 2 grabbing but did take a few. Gawn got at least one goal when in more space but Dunn does give him trouble one on one. Garlett was buzzing around. JKH as usual finds a way to get to space, he's got a good work ethic. Kent was involved in lots and was very physical. Didn't see much of Fitzy besides on nice grab.

Anyway, good players played well, ordinary players not so much. Defensive set ups were pretty sound. Physical effort seemed willing. Ball use was safe around half back. Forwards stayed at home pretty well. Mainly it's time to play against an actual opponent and to get our better players in the same team.

the best and most honest training report i have read this pre-season: thank-you.

• Like 6

At the end of the day, everyone who watches has their own opinion and their own bias. If you ever find yourself reading conflicting reports and wondering which to believe, my advice would be to just believe which ever one makes you happy.

To me, it's unimportant whether Spencer was overall okay or terrible in the eyes of people I don't know in a training run I didn't see. I get more out of the little snippets of facts (not opinions) - like TDI's report of the Dunn/Roos exchange or the report of Dunn whacking Gawn behind play.

• Like 7

At the end of the day, everyone who watches has their own opinion and their own bias. If you ever find yourself reading conflicting reports and wondering which to believe, my advice would be to just believe which ever one makes you happy.

To me, it's unimportant whether Spencer was overall okay or terrible in the eyes of people I don't know in a training run I didn't see. I get more out of the little snippets of facts (not opinions) - like TDI's report of the Dunn/Roos exchange or the report of Dunn whacking Gawn behind play.

+1.

The increased variety of reports over the last few weeks has been great (not to mention the fantastic reports from the Maroochy camp). Many of us cannot get to these sessions and appreciate the new training reporters that have started to post. Please keep it up mo64.

• Like 1

But Nasher, as we know the most important way to judge how good a player is and will be is by watching training. How else are we to form our own opinions?

So I can believe that T Mac didn't make a single disposal error, as opposed to being "hack central".

Good, that's a load off :)

Have the hits to the head that Brayshaw has had of late concerning? Think it was reported 2 the other day and one or two this session.

I seen one of the hits yesterday. More a knock to the jaw. Rawlings shouted 'get up Angus run it off'

If they were concussions I be concerned,more body contact blows then concussions. He is in an under player who loves the contest

Would not worry but from what I seen he will be playing at Casey first part of the year.

Also does any one else think he looks small compared to other players? He is listed at 188cm and 88kg but looks thin in comparison to D Tyson.

Edited by ashdemons22
  • Like 1

Have the hits to the head that Brayshaw has had of late concerning? Think it was reported 2 the other day and one or two this session.

From Ben Mathews and a few of the players, Brayshaw is a bit like Viney, wants to impress so is attacking the ball and the man, just needs to learn to protect his head a bit better, like Viney

Good post Nasher, I get bored writing about the specific drills, prefer to put any info I can glean from coaches or players, if I think any of the reports are not truly reflecting a players contribution though, will put my opinion of said players contribution. Another example where opinions are similar being Viney, I personally think he has been ordinary for most of the pre season, but put in his best shift on Friday, so made sure I put it

I seen one of the hits yesterday. More a knock to the jaw. Rawlings shouted 'get up Angus run it off'

If they were concussions I be concerned,more body contact blows then concussions. He is in an under player who loves the contest

Would not worry but from what I seen he will be playing at Casey first part of the year.

Also does any one else think he looks small compared to other players? He is listed at 188cm and 88kg but looks thin in comparison to D Tyson.

He is thin, he's 18!

He didn't seem to cop any big huge hits on in the scratch match, but certainly got cleaned up a couple of times. He's not afraid of the contest and will risk his body to get or use the ball.

More time in the gym plus more experience will certainly help him. He's just probably going to need a while as Casey getting used to bigger bodies before mixing it in the AFL. I'm not too concerned.

So I agree with the rest that you've said and aren't concerned by him looking and playing like a youngster.

Edited by Georgiou R.R. Martin

He is thin, he's 18!

He didn't seem to cop any big huge hits on in the scratch match, but certainly got cleaned up a couple of times. He's not afraid of the contest and will risk his body to get or use the ball.

More time in the gym plus more experience will certainly help him. He's just probably going to need a while as Casey getting used to bigger bodies before mixing it in the AFL. I'm not too concerned.

JKH played 14 games in his first year......68kgs

He is thin, he's 18!

He is 84kg, thin?....they expect him to play around 85-88 just putting his head in wrong place at the moment

JkH used to laugh at that, he was about 72 or so which isn't much bigger, but he is a solid little bugger up top

So? JKH played often as the sub and as a nippy little small forward. Brayshaw's talent is for winning the ball inside as well as accumulating around the ground. I imagine he will get a few chances this year, on one of the flanks or a wing and do pretty well. I was just pointing out there's no shame in him looking thin and that the combination of more muscle and experience will have him much more protected very quickly

He is 84kg, thin?....they expect him to play around 85-88 just putting his head in wrong place at the moment

JkH used to laugh at that, he was about 72 or so which isn't much bigger, but he is a solid little bugger up top

So my point being, if JKH can play 14 good games in his first season at 72 or 68 kg, Brayshaw should be ready to go at 84kg.
  • Like 1

So my point being, if JKH can play 14 good games in his first season at 72 or 68 kg, Brayshaw should be ready to go at 84kg.

Personally I don't think we will see the young guys in Rd 1 unless one of them is exceptional during the NAB Cup, think they will be made to earn their spots at Casey and then maybe a sub spot

• Like 2

The fact these players are completely different in positions and roles makes your point seem quite stupid.

Small forward vs midfielder, also the depth of players we have in each position also changes how "ready to go" a player is.

Brayshaw is in no way a ready built mid weighing in at 84 kilos, will still need to put on 6-7 kilos of lean muscle and strip back a bit of the excess (as will be expected of all draftees)

• Like 1

So? JKH played often as the sub and as a nippy little small forward. Brayshaw's talent is for winning the ball inside as well as accumulating around the ground. I imagine he will get a few chances this year, on one of the flanks or a wing and do pretty well. I was just pointing out there's no shame in him looking thin and that the combination of more muscle and experience will have him much more protected very quickly

How many game do you predict Brayshaw to play this year.

Is he in the Luke Dunstan Ollie Wines track where he is ready to go straight away or needs a bit more development.

He is thin, he's 18!

So I agree with the rest that you've said and aren't concerned by him looking and playing like a youngster.

according to hun in november he was 187cm and 86kg

where did you get your 181..........and thin?