Annual General Meeting

Whispering_Jack

I don't believe that Mcleans outburst was for altruistic purposes. I also think you are right. Something had to give. I am just not so sure that the AFL would have gotten involved and installed Jackson into his position. I'm not sure we would be where we are so quickly without the tanking debacle. I'm not thanking McLean for it as I did not like what he did. But I also won't back away from my view that the tanking debacle was the catalyst for where we are now.

Neeld was a less than average coach and we had a shocking list ... change was always going to happen even if McLean had never opened his trap. It was just a matter of time.

It was more a matter of what path we went down - a successful, experienced coach and a CEO with a wealth of experience was a no-brainer. I'm saying the change that eventuated would probably have happened anyway.

By the way, there are a stack of appointed coaches who aren't or weren't up to it. Neeld did well to get the gig and it's no disgrace to not be a successful AFL coach. It's a tough job to be good at (the huge amount of money that they receive is fantastic compensation though)

As for the list ... well over 30 players have departed since the end of 2012. Over 20 in the last 2 off seasons are gone. What has happened was always going to happen regardless of what McLean said.

But he still did the wrong thing.

Neeld was a less than average coach and we had a shocking list ... change was always going to happen even if McLean had never opened his trap. It was just a matter of time.

It was more a matter of what path we went down - a successful, experienced coach and a CEO with a wealth of experience was a no-brainer. I'm saying the change that eventuated would probably have happened anyway.

By the way, there are a stack of appointed coaches who aren't or weren't up to it. Neeld did well to get the gig and it's no disgrace to not be a successful AFL coach. It's a tough job to be good at (the huge amount of money that they receive is fantastic compensation though)

As for the list ... well over 30 players have departed since the end of 2012. Over 20 in the last 2 off seasons are gone. What has happened was always going to happen regardless of what McLean said.

But he still did the wrong thing.

if Mclean had not opened his trap we would still be in the shite.

He acellerated the process. Maybe without even knowing it.

For that i am happy

Someone had to speak out. It was him. Good

PJ accepted the challenge

We are now a real football club

Starting from scratch

2015 will be a good year....

if Mclean had not opened his trap we would still be in the shite.

He acellerated the process. Maybe without even knowing it.

For that i am happy

Someone had to speak out. It was him. Good

PJ accepted the challenge

We are now a real football club

Starting from scratch

2015 will be a good year....

Do you honestly believe that Schwab, Neeld and most of our players would have lasted very long anyway? Most of the assistant coaches are usually moved on when a senior coach is removed. Also, any board is always going to come under a lot of pressure when a team can only win less than a handful of games.

Failure has a short shelf life.

Maybe with Schwab but the jungle drums were always beating in the background with him.

Do you honestly believe that Schwab, Neeld and most of our players would have lasted very long anyway? Most of the assistant coaches are usually moved on when a senior coach is removed. Also, any board is always going to come under a lot of pressure when a team can only win less than a handful of games.

Failure has a short shelf life.

Maybe with Schwab but the jungle drums were always beating in the background with him.

Of course there were Macca but Schwab refused to hear them.

He also recieved two contract extentions post 186!!

We got absolutely bent over as a club

Edited by Sir Why You Little

Fair enough Swyl (the extra letter added on kinda makes things quite apt) ^_^

Macca i always read your posts with respect.

But i always find it amazing that Demonlanders give me a hard time for giving Schwab a hard time.

2 contracts he extracted out of the club after 186 for being completely useless.

All the good he did was in year one.

I am glad Mclean said what he did on TV. It got the ball rolling.......

• Like 1

Macca i always read your posts with respect.

But i always find it amazing that Demonlanders give me a hard time for giving Schwab a hard time.

2 contracts he extracted out of the club after 186 for being completely useless.

All the good he did was in year one.

I am glad Mclean said what he did on TV. It got the ball rolling.......

I wasn't trying to give you a hard time with regards to your views on Schwab ... parts of what you've got to say about CS I agree with. He wasn't all bad though - up until the last year or 2 of his reign we were posting decent profits with him as the CEO (and he has to take some credit for that) Jackson even made mention when he took over that things weren't as bad as some might have thought. Nevertheless, the cost cutting had to happen.

Anyway, it's all over now and we've now got a proven bloke in charge as our CEO ... a club's like ours (a not so big club) should always set aside enough money for a top quality CEO and experienced proven coach. However, I understand the whole succession plan with Goodwin and he won't be coming in cold like a rookie coach would be.

Goodwin might even coach a few games this year ... that would all be part of the transition plan you'd reckon. Or, he'd at least have the autonomy to make some decisions on match days you'd reckon. All set up so he can hit the ground running in 2017 (by crikey, the years are marching on :))

Edited by Macca

I'm not giving you a hard time with regards to your views on Schwab (you may have misinterpreted my play on words) ... parts of what you've got to say about CS I agree with. He wasn't all bad though - we were posting profits with him as the CEO and he has to take some credit for that.

I wasn't a super fan of him either but I didn't really have a lot to say about him anyway. I tend to prefer to talk about on field stuff (usually)

Anyway, it's all over now and we've now got a proven bloke in charge ... I reckon that club's like ours (the not so big clubs) should always set aside enough money for a top quality CEO and experienced proven coach. I understand the whole succession plan with Goodwin and I guess he won't be coming in cold like a rookie coach would.

I'd even expect him to even coach a few games this year ... that would all be part of the transition plan you'd reckon. Or he'd at least have the autonomy to make some decisions on match days. All set up so he can hit the ground running in 2017 (by crikey, the years are marching on :))

yep. We have to put fath in Roos and Goodwin

PJ is a gem. He knows how to run an AFL club

CS did do some good things for the club but as i said they were all in the first 12 months, after that he lost his way badly.....

yep. We have to put fath in Roos and Goodwin

PJ is a gem. He knows how to run an AFL club

CS did do some good things for the club but as i said they were all in the first 12 months, after that he lost his way badly.....

I'm not up to speed on how long PJ is committed for ... I believe he may have only signed on until the end of 2015 (or thereabouts)

There may well be a succession plan in the works for PJ's position as well but I reckon most would rather he stayed on until we're back on our feet properly.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Cannot believe an AGM thread has been derailed into a dig up the old crap about tanking thread.

Sorry to talk about the AGM on the AGM thread but I just watched the footage of PJ's speech. He certainly fills you with a lot of confidence.He's done such a good job of cleaning out deadwood. They are obviously doing a lot better financially with less but better people than they were before. Much prefer the strategic plan of going back to the old heartland areas to build the supporter and membership base instead of heading out of town to Casey as the sole source of future development. What a legend he'll be if we make finals in '16, hit 50,000 members and get a solid profit.

Quite right. We've covered the tanking issue comprehensively in the past and unless there are some new revelations of substance, there's really no need for it to be raised in a thread about the AGM. Let's stick to a discussion of where the club's going in the context of the AGM please.

I guess the AGM reminded many of how much better position we're in now with PJ instead of CS, the appointments and actions following from that, and how we now seem a club, still behind the leading clubs but, with everything in place to give us every chance to seriously rise again.

In 2012 I felt there was so little serious footy (& other) nous at the club anywhere. Brocks stupid interview may have inadvertently sped our metamorphosis, but hurt our reputation. Especially frustrating as many other clubs, especially Brocks, had sinned as much or worse.

Anyway let's forget all that water under the bridge, and enjoy having intelligent folk like PJ and PR around.

I so hope we can keep PJ for many years, and Roos in some capacity!

• Like 1

I am not asking this facetiously but did CS ever actually go through the books at an AGM? Whenever I saw him speak at one it was just the usual bollocks about loving the club and our history (or am I being unfair?)

I am not asking this facetiously but did CS ever actually go through the books at an AGM? Whenever I saw him speak at one it was just the usual bollocks about loving the club and our history (or am I being unfair?)

u

From my memory his presentations were similar to PJ

Edited by old dee

LMAO what reputation?

If it wasn't for what he did we wouldn't have had Paul Roos and Peter Jackson.

Fool.

That's a ridiculous assumption. So it was only cos of McLean we lost to Essendon by 148 points leading Schwab to get sacked and making Neeld a dead man walking?

That's a ridiculous assumption. So it was only cos of McLean we lost to Essendon by 148 points leading Schwab to get sacked and making Neeld a dead man walking?

don't you get it? According to dazzle, the great Brock McLean is the architect of our revival - opening his mouth on TV was the first step in a genius chain of events leading to premiership #13

we should honour this club legend by putting him on the banner

don't you get it? According to dazzle, the great Brock McLean is the architect of our revival - opening his mouth on TV was the first step in a genius chain of events leading to premiership #13

we should honour this club legend by putting him on the banner

If Mclean hadn't opened his trap would PJ and Roos be on the MFC Payroll now?

I have my doubts...

If Mclean hadn't opened his trap would PJ and Roos be on the MFC Payroll now?

I have my doubts...

its already been discussed you must have missed it

what the bloke did was a dog act

if that dog act, in an unintended consequential way has end up bettering the club, is beside the point

not that I, in any way, will ever agree that the club being dragged through a tanking scandal was ever nor will ever be a positive thing to happen to this club

it's like thanking terrorists for 9-11 because now airplane travel is safer

bizarre viewpoint

• Like 1

if that dog act, in an unintended consequential way has end up bettering the club, is beside the point

not that I, in any way, will ever agree that the club being dragged through a tanking scandal was ever nor will ever be a positive thing to happen to this club

bizarre viewpoint

please do not bring 9/11 Terrorism into the discussion.

Someone had to blow the lid on the shocking direction the club was heading.

And sure i didn't like it but i was actually glad when it became public.

The changes were swift.

bizarre viewpoint

of course it was a dog act by mcclean

was he taken into any confidences re tanking by the football dept (or anyone at the club) - no

was he asked to tank by the football dept - no

was he asked to tank by anyone at the club - no

did he have any facts to re tanking - no

did he go to a new club widely criticised for tanking - yes

was he bitter/disappointed at mfc for flicking him - yes

did the afl quote any evidence from him in their deliverance of findings re the mfc - no

did he have anything to add to the debate other than pure conjecture on coaching decisions which everybody could see and ponder on - no

did he damage his ex club and team-mates on national tv - yes

was he duped or deceived by the interviewers - hardly, he was quite willing

yep, a dog act

mcclean wasn't the smoking gun but he allowed himself to be the catalyst for the opportunist anderson to pounce whilst his boss was out of the country

• Like 5

Did we have an AGM?

I don't think so. At least, I am still waiting for the Whiteboard Wednesday clip to be uploaded to the website to inform us about it n Missionspeak ,,, :blink::blink::blink::blink: